Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (635K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,983) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations ๐Ÿก  Interior AI ๐Ÿ“ธ  Photo AI โœจ  Applicant AI ๐Ÿ’Ž  Clarity AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any nomadic electronic music producers?

by @bavals 9yr  | 12 comments

I am curious if anyone here is traveling while also working on their electronic music productions. I know there are a few โ€œrealโ€ musicians here (respek!), but I am even more interested in finding my digital brethren.

If youโ€™re out there, how do you manage to do it? Granted, it has become a lot more feasible in the past 5 years or so, but not entirely problem-free.

Do you have a more comprehensive set up at your home base that complements your mobile studio or are you 100% mobile? Do you have a MIDI controller in your backpack/suitcase at all times? What about the monitors? While weโ€™re on the topic, would you maybe care to share your setup (DAW, interfaces, controllers, peripherals)?

Hereโ€™s my situation right now: MacBook Pro with Ableton Live, AKG headphones, a simple/tiny m-audio MIDI controller, an Apogee MiC for recording samples & voice. So far, nothing for the digital interface (apart from the built-in one) or monitors.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@yivva 8yr

Unfortunately yes, it has been a while since I have tried to finish anything. I was wasting far too much time trying to achieve an impossible sound, and the frustration was affecting the rest of my life.

I figured I just need to wait for technology to catch up and get better at recreating the analogue sound and then Iโ€™ll jump back into it. It was so much more enjoyable with hardware, like I was simple playing the machines and having lots of fun experimenting and recording what sounded great. As opposed to hours of dissatisfaction and irritation of trying to get flat sounds to sound like โ€˜real musicโ€™.

As soon as itโ€™s not enjoyable, I didnโ€™t see the point.

Itโ€™s a shame, but on the other hand, stopping all the hours spent on music in my life opened up so much opportunity for other pleasures I had never explored. It kind of opened up my eyes to the rest of the world.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@mattia 7yr

Hey guysโ€ฆsorry to be late to the partyโ€ฆ here some of my humble experienceโ€ฆ

A) Iโ€™ve been producing electronic and house music for a while and managing my label in London remotely, some years agoโ€ฆ
Built a small home-studio and then dismantled it and composing on the goโ€ฆ

B) These days, hardware is just a style choice. I have hardware gear at home (keyboards, synths, microphones, speakers, controllers, audio interfaces, mixers, etc) but on the road I just stay with AKG headphones (soon to be replaced with Audio Technica, def. better now), I got a small Samson USB mic (amazing for podcasts, acceptable for voice demos and ideas); Akai mini-keys (I used to bring Maschine with me, but itโ€™s pretty useless, apart for live gigs, as you can do everything with the mini-keyboard or draw it on screen and you save tons of kilos and inspections). If you just need 1 audio input, thereโ€™s an amazing little box from Focusrite called VRM box. Essentially, it recreates (coupled with a free software) various studio monitor ambiences for mix purposes. But itโ€™s also a basic audio interface for 1 in/1 out.

C) These days, Iphone/Ipad apps from major brands like Korg, Arturia, Serato, NI, you can do everything you want in the box and in the phone.

D) Dunno if itโ€™s just a coincidence, but I took most paying client brands when on the road without gear. Of course my advice is:

• if you are comfortable with the results, in case of smaller brands, own projects, libraries or internal use commercials (so they wonโ€™t be played with huge speakers in festivals or terraces), you can do the mix and master in the box (if you are used to, with excellent headphones and speaker environment simulators)
  • if you have to work with major brands/artists for public use, commercial use or whatever you know you need 110% quality, you can outsource part of the mix and the master. I did sometimes, with a partner I got in London.
    Same for editing video. And also same with audio if time-jammed: if you donโ€™t have the time to edit all the drops, builders, note quantify, fade-in and outs and all the editing stuff and you have the margins to do that, while taking on other clients and working on the creative side, do it. Yes ,you miss some bucks but you gain tons of minutiae-saved time, sanity and inspiration.

Anyhow, music as a nomad is not that reliable these days (as a static neither). Iโ€™m still seeking a new biz model to solve this shit.
Years ago, that was the reason I delved into online affiliate marketing and tech startups and I never managed to get out of that abyss. I was in a quest to find a new profitable revenue model for artists like me and these days Iโ€™m working on a nutrition and cosmetic startup, so you could imagine how far that road led me :wink:

But always remeber the why you startedโ€ฆ

Letโ€™s connect guys, we need to revive the music businessโ€ฆ

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@yivva 8yr

Tried producing some stuff a few years ago while i was on the move. My problem was, I really like the analogue sound and could never get any software I bought to create effects (delays, tape echos, verb etc) sounding as real as the hardware I previously had so I kind of gave up after months of frustration. Iโ€™m sure itโ€™s possible, but just couldnโ€™t get that โ€˜rawโ€™, none digital feel to the music and I donโ€™t ship junk :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@bavals 8yr

@yivva Exactly how I feel, too. So, just to make sure I understand, there was no solution in your case? Did you just give up making music?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Iโ€™m following this thread because Iโ€™ve done some DJโ€™ng for Argentine tango events and played with minor mixing. One of my students actually built an online music selling clips and samples.

Part of me has dreamed about getting more into composing using sampling and current technology. I struggled as a kid trying to learn how to play musical instruments, but I still feel like thereโ€™s some part of me waiting to be expressed through music.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@kirill 9yr

I did at home, havenโ€™t on the road, but would like to. Was debating picking up a midi launcher like apc 40 or something like that, not sure if thereโ€™s something similar but smaller.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

@bisonravi I brought gear with me for the purpose but havenโ€™t had a proper sit down yet :frowning: Anyway, I write found sound music and am carrying: a Macbook Air 11" with Ableton Live, Sony PCM D50 field recorder, mini tripod, Soundman binaural microphones & A3 adapter & bulky Soundman wearable wind screens, iPhone 5 running Touchable v3 (keyboard, faders, clip lauching etc), and Shure SE425 in-ear monitors. I use Dropbox to backup samples in case my laptop gets stolen (Iโ€™ve been burnt in the past with losing files through DRM which is another kind of theftโ€ฆ). I have a Voltaic solar panel with a cache battery thatโ€™s big enough to do a full charge of the Macbook, but battery life is definitely an issue for tent-based mixing, and Iโ€™ve become paranoid about wolves sneaking up on me when I have my headphones in! I also just bought a SanDisk 64GB USB3 memory stick which has been excellent for freeing up disk space as the Macbook SSD is only 120GB. I am unsure if you could stream samples off it but the computer should run smoother with a less cluttered harddrive anyway.

Some of the gear is quite bulky but itโ€™s fairly impractical to replace anything on the road. However I just bought a Samsung A3 phone as a backup / for testing, so may incorporate this too, but there is no Touchable for Android, and the benefit of Touchable is that it runs over USB so there are none of the usual WiFi issues.

I sold a bunch of gear when I left NZ - Blue Sky monitors, iPad Airs, NI Maschine, Ableton Push, Babyface etc. I donโ€™t really miss my old stuff, as Iโ€™d rather have travel experiences at the moment. I am taking some interesting samples so will have a lot of material when I get around to doing something with it. At the moment I donโ€™t feel like staring at the screen to do that though, which is another interesting thing about travelling.

Cheers,
Dan

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@tjwaldorf 9yr

I try to make friends with local producers and usually someone knows someone who has a decent bedroom studio. Despite that, 90% of my production work is done with just headphones and DAW. Itโ€™s hard sometimes but itโ€™s a good excuse to focus on improving in-the-box skills. Definitely miss my instrument and my microphone, though.

Also I think Iโ€™m going to start contracting out my mixdowns because itโ€™s just too much guesswork when on headphones, so that will hopefully prevent a lot of frustration. Anyone have any exp with that?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@bavals 9yr

@twaldorf Thatโ€™s an interesting tactic (and probably more in tune with the whole โ€œsharing economyโ€ concept), and I think I should probably do the same, but I am still wondering how you go about networking in strange places.

Like, how exactly do you โ€œmake friendsโ€ in situations when youโ€™re totally unfamiliar with local scenes? (I imagine joining electronic production meetups in multiple cities could be one strategy, but it looks like most of them meet only once every 2-3 months, which doesnโ€™t really help those who are passing by).

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@eduardo 9yr

Hi @bisonravi
Iโ€™m writing to you from Sun and Co (www.sun-and-co-com) , a coliving space in Spain. Next week, Ben from London is coming here. He is a music producer. I can give him your contact so you can both chat about this :wink:
Let me know how can he contact you.
Hope to see you one day around! :dancer::sunny:
All the best,
Edu

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@bavals 9yr

Hey, @Edu! Maybe Ben could join this forum? Direct messaging is great for specific issues, but at this point I just think itโ€™d be great to have more musicians & producers here so we can have more music-related threads.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@eduardo 9yr

@bisonravi , unfortunately, Ben is not part of this forum.
Iโ€™ll send him the link just in case he wants to join :wink:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What features would you like to see on Nomad List?

by @levelsio 3yr 3 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi everyone,

I would love to hear what you'd like me to build next on Nomad List, or any other product/feature feedback ideas you have.

It's been 6+ years now but I'm in this for the long term and with the boost remote work got last year it's even more exciting to work on Nomad List than ever.

Current roadmap is here: twitter.com/levelsio/status/1363204985488572417?s=20 and pbs.twimg.com/media/EusS9PKXEAUR8xp?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

The next products/features I have planned:

- ๐Ÿ›‚ Rebase: visa, residency and immigration services for remote workers

- ๐ŸŽ“Courses: learn the steps how to go remote and travel/relocate

- ๐Ÿ› Gov liaison: diplomacy services to the governments to help us lobby for nomads and for them to attract remote workers

Thanks a lot!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the best places right now in the Caribbean/LatAM? (Also cheapest flights/accommodation?)

by @orangutan3 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

What are the best places right now in the Caribbean/LatAM? (Also cheapest flights/accommodation?) Asking from the US.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

List of Visa/Residency Information in Table/Spreadsheet format?

by @innovatelife 3yr 3 years ago  | 2 comments

As part of signing up for this website I was hoping I would come across a list of Visa and/or Residency requirements by country ideally in a table format to assist with decision making. Does anybody recommend any other websites that might present the information in this format (or Google Spreadsheet)?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Most Walkable Neighborhood / City In The World ?

by @dannybooboo 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

I love living in walkable areas of town. I can always find them. But now I'm wondering where in the world are the most walkable places? I'm imagining walk streets (no cars), zoning allowing both business and residential, parks or beaches ,etc.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any nomads in Arizona, US?

in Netherlands by @info132 3yr 3 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi guys,

After the Netherlands, the Bay Area, Colorado and being on the van life for 8 months, I am now in Sedona, AZ with a few other digital nomads. We are sharing a home here and are wondering if there are more like minded people in the area.

We do a bunch of hikes and campouts in the northern of Arizona. If you would like to connect with us, please do so :)

Val

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

International number & internet?

by @leobassam 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

Has anyone figured out a way to get setup with a virtual number and internet connection anywhere you go?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there any tax issues I have to be aware of?

in Germany by @clara 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Hi everybody. I live and work in Germany and want to go to Canary Islands for 6 months to work from there. I'm going to keep my current job, just change the "home" in the home office part of things. Are there any tax issues I have to be aware of? I was reading about becoming a residence after 183 days, thus having to pay taxes there plus my employer having to register there. Does anybody know how it works exactly? Thanks a lot!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Chiang Mai accommodation

in Chiang Mai , Thailand by @bertieb 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Can anyone recommend a good accommodation website for Chiang Mai?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is anyone travelling right now?

by @viktor 3yr 3 years ago  | 3 comments

Winter is coming and Iโ€™m feeling the ache of travelling after being stuck in the same place since the Pandemic started. Wondering if anyone is travelling right now? If so, where are you currently located and how is the situation where you are?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I'm beginning my Nomadic journey - what advice do you have?

by @jacob_tr 7yr 7 years ago  | 8 comments

Hello Everyone,

On January 8, I set off on my Nomadic Journeys. I have a one way ticket to Iceland booked for a film shoot, and a flight into mainland Europe on the 20th, and from there I have no idea, and I am completely on my own.

What advice do you have? Right now I am feeling everything, from bad to good about it all, really can feel that safety/wool from underneath me get pulled away, I know Iโ€™m jumping out of my shell here.

(To give some background, Iโ€™m starting my nomad journey after having started a successful business, so financially I am set. Itโ€™s the question personally, mentally how do you cope in the beginning of leaving everything and going?)

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Tax: what are the best options for a nomadic Dutch freelancer?

by @maarten 8yr 8 years ago  | 11 comments

Originally, I am from the Netherlands. Since january 2016, I have been working remotely all around the world. But even though I havenโ€™t been in the Netherlands this year, I am still paying taxes there. Iโ€™m still registered as a citizen.

I have to unregister in the Netherlands as a citizen. But if I donโ€™t register somewhere else, or have a freelance status or company somewhere else, I would still have to pay 50%+ taxes. This is, of course, not fun at all.

So I decided to move my business elsewhere. Either get freelancer status in another country, or create a business there to send invoices from. Which brings me to my question:

What is the best country tax-wise for a Dutch freelancer?

As of now, I found two solutions:

• Have an agency set up a company in Bulgaria. It will kost 3000 euro a year, once 3300 euros and extra money if I want residency. And then of course 10% income tax on my earnings.
  • Have an agency set up a company in Dubai. It will cost around 2000 euro annually and 5000 euro once. No income tax.

Wether residency in an other country is required for the Dutch tax authority to not tax your world income, seems to be a grey area. However, if I unregister in Holland and send invoices from a company in a whole other country, it should be fine.

I have little or no experience. People with know-how: would you be so kind to comment on these options?

Are there alternatives I should consider?

I donโ€™t really like to hire an agency. Iโ€™d rather just fly to a country, fill out paperwork, incorporate there and from then on invoice from that company. If itโ€™s too bureaucratic, I wouldnโ€™t mind hiring a local lawyer or accountant to do it for me.

Do you know a country where there is no or a low income tax and this process is relatively easy and suitable for Dutch freelancers?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What questions should one ask themself before embarking into the nomadic lifestyle?

by @marcob 8yr 8 years ago  | 6 comments

What questions should one ask themself before embarking into the nomadic lifestyle?
& what would your answer be to said question?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is it possible to have children, while living a nomadic life?

by @manu 9yr 9 years ago  | 27 comments

Anyone here has an opinion on having children, while living a nomadic life?

Me and my GF have been living on the road for 2 years now. Our businesses are mostly established and we are considering having kids within the next 2 years. The questions that come to my mind:

• Can you optimize raising children like a web startup (picking a good location, school, doing a bit of home schooling, choosing languages, etc)
  • Is anyone doing this right now? What are your experiences?
  • Where are good places to live with children? I guess we would rent a house with garden and hire a local nanny/household helper.
  • Do you think itโ€™s an advantage for kids to grow up internationally with both parents being around more than usually?

Let me know what you think. I know Graham Brown is doing it with his Japanese wife. Sadly he doesnโ€™t write too much about family matters. Then there is also a family blog, I only recently discovered, but didnโ€™t get a chance to read yet.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Can you name companies (5+ employees) with distributed/nomadic teams?

by @ggeorgiev 9yr 9 years ago  | 12 comments

So far I have:
Buffer, Toptal, Maptia & Upworthy - fully nomadic, the employees & founders are always on the go

Basecamp, GitHub, Mozilla - known for their distributed teams and mobility but majority of workforce still in HQ

Can you help me find more? I am doing research for digital nomads infographic.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Do I need a voltage converter for electronics purchased in the US to use in Bali?

by @nihilista 9yr 9 years ago  | 1 comment

Will be bringing the usual items such as a laptop, cell phone, Kindle, etc, but also some electronic personal care items like electric toothbrush, epilator, etc. Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are you a nomadic business owner? How do you market your business?

by @panda 9yr 9 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi,
Iโ€™m a nomad running a marketing business remotely, currently helping small businesses by writing content/copy, advising on marketing strategies and online marketing, and providing website reviews.
I need to โ€˜niche downโ€™ my target market and Iโ€™m thinking about aiming my services towards nomadic business owners/start ups.
As a nomadic business owner, what are your main issues? Do you outsource your marketing? Would a fellow nomadic marketer be more attractive for you since they understand your situation better than someone sitting in an office somewhere? This would help me no end in terms of market research.
Many thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the best way to set up a remote team for a nomadic startup?

by @elena 9yr 9 years ago  | 7 comments

Me and my business partners are working on building our own company in retail (clothing). We are all in different places (Europe, Asia and North America). What is the best way / place to set up our business in a way that is fair for everyone and no one ends up working more than the others?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
635ms