Anyone sick of the US-only remote job ads?

I don’t know how many of you guys have been looking but I’m a bit tired of how many of these that claim remote, yet aren’t truly remote and still prefer you to be in the US or at least within US time zone. Worse yet, remote within the same state as the employer only. Especially since most nomads seem to be American but looking to travel outside the US doing this. I’ve already mentioned to LevelsIO that there needs to be categorisation here in his scraping but he didn’t quite seem to grok it?

Or realistically, is it just a nonsensical filter for filtering out hordes of indians and otherwise dirty unwashed cheap labour foreigners from applying? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m waiting for someone to help translate this for me to understand what he says and his question is. Also, what is wrong with working remotely at the same timezones with employers?

nothing wrong with that if that’s what they want but it kind of defeats a lot of the point of being truly open to being remote. As this becomes more common sites will need to capture the specific details of “how remote” and where.

• to be open to a talent pool outside of what you have locally
  • cost / overhead savings. i.e. office space/desk/computer for them/cost of labor
  • access to a market you wouldnt be able to reach out to via your local team
  • access to someone who is able to cover a different shift off hours
  • block you from someone awesome who is an active travelling digital nomad outside of the US

It depends on how much of your team is based in the same location, and how much of things like standups are scheduled around local time.

Well if you’re applying for a remote job or temporary position. Then yes, you’re obligated to follow the rules of the employer since you would be considered an employee/contractor. I guess this would be different than if you were monetizing a website or sold a product/service from your own business.

I feel as if we’re in a transitioning phase in the U.S. where some older traditional business owners may be open to remote works but with a “leash.” Where some more modern start-ups with younger owners may be more open to working with people from around the world.

A lot might also have to do with the job requirements and the level of team collaboration needed. Is it something that a single person can do or do you need several people working closely together to make it work?

There are several reasons a business might want it’s workers in the U.S. or live close by:

• Relatively same timezone for team collaboration/communication
  • Face to face is extremely valuable to a lot of business people
  • No need to deal with language or culture barriers
  • What if you fail to deliver? If you’re not in the U.S. they can’t take any legal action
  • Easier for taxes and accounting purposes
  • Stereotypes of “foreign workers” (many older business owners can actually be quite racist and judgmental of different cultures … I’ve seen it)
  • Overall less control and accountability

Times are changing and working from different countries is becoming more “acceptable.” However, it’s a slow process and it really depends on how open the company is about remote workers and the type of work being done.

Best thing to do is to position yourself correctly. If you want to work remotely with U.S. based companies, network with them and prove to them that you’re a valuable asset to have. Explain the benefits of working remotely (lower cost to the company, can cover additional shifts, you can provide a different perspective, testimonials of previous work experience, speak perfect english, have stable reliable internet/phone, etc…). Just my thoughts.

Totally agree with what you’re saying espec since I spent most of my 20’s in the US so I know where you’re coming from but mostly it’s not just remote work but I generally see Americans leaving a ton of money on the table by insisting on everything follow US standard, 1099 forms, SSN’s, credit cards, country fields. Its literally been next to impossible for me to give Americans money most of the time as much as I’ve liked to for some companies but at this pt I’m not even talking about remote work. Outside of that Americans are generally having their lunch eaten by China from the ground up with an attitude of “x business is too small for me”, no business is too small for China and the Chinese have been going all over the world doing business with everyone, something Americans used to do and invented with “global” companies but now we get BS like FATCA that effectively puts a fine/ongoing tax on doing that sort of thing.

But fundamentally I’m just asking if anyone else got sick of looking thru job ads and at least half of them insisting on US something or other and thinking, wish I could filter these out :slight_smile:

And yeah dude, you got me cracking haha I’ll reply to ur other msg in a day or two :slight_smile:

updated the topic header. Realised I wasn’t clear that I was talking about the job ads, not the jobs themselves.

But I think this is a factor to consider for americans to go nomading, unless you already have strong networks and relationships in the US, referrals etc you might find yourself cut out of a major portion of the job market and most of “the internet” you take for granted like the rest of the world’s already gotten used to

Hi Munly, I agree completely. I didn’t add this feature before as it’s hard to parse the job feeds to see if a job is American only. But I’ll go and try again now as it’s becoming a bit of an issue. I probably don’t want semi-remote jobs on http://remoteok.io.

This is a wider problem with remote jobs by the way, you have this issue on most remote job boards. But I’ll try to see if I can implement a fix that only shows the REAL remote jobs.

some kind of flagging system might be quick and easy to implement until you find something more permanent. and, i’d still list the US jobs because many people might still be interested, but just tag them as us only or something…

Yeah agreed. Just a flagging system and I know it’s hard to parse but you can look for things like “PST, EST, CST, Mountain” and “U.S. Only” “US Only” “52 states” “within US” “within United States” “continental United States” “continental US” etc to start with.

You can specify [country] remote or global remote etc.

I’m interested in learning more about this problem and also seeing if I can help in some way. I agree that we’re in a transition phase with remote work, but it’s super dumb to only recruit from the pool of US-american workers. Someone suggested to me today that a non-US citizen can start an LLC and contract (1099 or whatever) with US companies that way…any experience with this?

Apply anyway!

I work for a US company 100% remotely. I match up with California time wherever I am (I’m in Australia right now, so yes, that means I am on daily standup calls at 2am, but it’s a sacrifice for the flexibility of being remote & it funding my travels).

In your applications/cover letters, I would really stress that you are flexible in changing your lifestyle to match whatever timezone the job is in. Add that you want to work with US companies because the work is more interesting/challenging etc. If possible, offer that you will travel to the US for the first month or so to get across everything in the office & then move to remote (this is what I did).

You really need to prove your worth & that you can be trusted as soon as possible so be prepared & work your ass off in the first few weeks of landing a gig. Try & be available as much as possible on all channels (skype, slack, email, whatever).

Are you American or Australian Angela? and were you already working for that company and later went remote?

Well the irony is I’m trying to do the opposite and timezone is one of the issues. I do tell them that I’m looking to move out to Panama (EST time) asap so timezones can be easier but usually Americans use that and/or Australian time difference to filter out.

Meetings and standups are ok since I’m usually up till 4AM but any kind of role where we sync schedules for actual work wouldn’t work for me anyway. Just give a deliverable date, otherwise what’s the point of working remotely without flexibility?

Europeans might find this site of interest, and perhaps it would be a good site to pull from if not already doing so: https://www.startus.cc/

I’m Australian & I was not working for that company before I went remote. I was in Berlin actually when I got the job. Like @LisaB touched on, I eventually applied for my own LLC too.

And I think deliverable dates are more for freelance/contract roles, which might be what you’re looking at. I’m more leaning towards full-time roles where you are expected to really be a part of the team & collaborating as much as possible, even if it’s just small-talk.

I think if you are good at what you do & can demonstrate that, timezone does not matter. Maybe it’s just been used as an excuse now for an underlying issue?

For some, maybe. Others explicitly mention things like 9-5PM EST so I’m not surprised. Good point about the synced collaboration. I’d overlooked that some may want that vs just updates in a basecamp, slack etc. Australian time really makes that difficult.

Noone wants to admit it but the main reason they insist on US timezone is quality of work. Agree with previous poster, apply anyway. If you plan to move to Panama, consider making a pit stop in Nicaragua first.

haha yeah I know that’s how it is in most cases but there have been others that are also quite serious about it or at least timezone sync. US time zone so far seems to open up many more opportunities still so i.e. Canada and the Latin countries like Panama and others will be better for having a safety net imo.

Just fly in to US west coast, get a rig like this:

and drive back and forth every 3 months to Canada. US only enough? :smile: