Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (648K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,882) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations Interior AI Photo AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Anyone sick of the US-only remote job ads?

by @munly_leong 9yr  | 17 comments

I donโ€™t know how many of you guys have been looking but Iโ€™m a bit tired of how many of these that claim remote, yet arenโ€™t truly remote and still prefer you to be in the US or at least within US time zone. Worse yet, remote within the same state as the employer only. Especially since most nomads seem to be American but looking to travel outside the US doing this. Iโ€™ve already mentioned to LevelsIO that there needs to be categorisation here in his scraping but he didnโ€™t quite seem to grok it?

Or realistically, is it just a nonsensical filter for filtering out hordes of indians and otherwise dirty unwashed cheap labour foreigners from applying? :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@db8871 9yr

Just fly in to US west coast, get a rig like this:

and drive back and forth every 3 months to Canada. US only enough? :smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

haha yeah I know thatโ€™s how it is in most cases but there have been others that are also quite serious about it or at least timezone sync. US time zone so far seems to open up many more opportunities still so i.e. Canada and the Latin countries like Panama and others will be better for having a safety net imo.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@db8871 9yr

Noone wants to admit it but the main reason they insist on US timezone is quality of work. Agree with previous poster, apply anyway. If you plan to move to Panama, consider making a pit stop in Nicaragua first.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Europeans might find this site of interest, and perhaps it would be a good site to pull from if not already doing so: https://www.startus.cc/

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@angsmith 9yr

Apply anyway!

I work for a US company 100% remotely. I match up with California time wherever I am (Iโ€™m in Australia right now, so yes, that means I am on daily standup calls at 2am, but itโ€™s a sacrifice for the flexibility of being remote & it funding my travels).

In your applications/cover letters, I would really stress that you are flexible in changing your lifestyle to match whatever timezone the job is in. Add that you want to work with US companies because the work is more interesting/challenging etc. If possible, offer that you will travel to the US for the first month or so to get across everything in the office & then move to remote (this is what I did).

You really need to prove your worth & that you can be trusted as soon as possible so be prepared & work your ass off in the first few weeks of landing a gig. Try & be available as much as possible on all channels (skype, slack, email, whatever).

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are you American or Australian Angela? and were you already working for that company and later went remote?

Well the irony is Iโ€™m trying to do the opposite and timezone is one of the issues. I do tell them that Iโ€™m looking to move out to Panama (EST time) asap so timezones can be easier but usually Americans use that and/or Australian time difference to filter out.

Meetings and standups are ok since Iโ€™m usually up till 4AM but any kind of role where we sync schedules for actual work wouldnโ€™t work for me anyway. Just give a deliverable date, otherwise whatโ€™s the point of working remotely without flexibility?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@angsmith 9yr

Iโ€™m Australian & I was not working for that company before I went remote. I was in Berlin actually when I got the job. Like @LisaB touched on, I eventually applied for my own LLC too.

And I think deliverable dates are more for freelance/contract roles, which might be what youโ€™re looking at. Iโ€™m more leaning towards full-time roles where you are expected to really be a part of the team & collaborating as much as possible, even if itโ€™s just small-talk.

I think if you are good at what you do & can demonstrate that, timezone does not matter. Maybe itโ€™s just been used as an excuse now for an underlying issue?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

For some, maybe. Others explicitly mention things like 9-5PM EST so Iโ€™m not surprised. Good point about the synced collaboration. Iโ€™d overlooked that some may want that vs just updates in a basecamp, slack etc. Australian time really makes that difficult.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Iโ€™m interested in learning more about this problem and also seeing if I can help in some way. I agree that weโ€™re in a transition phase with remote work, but itโ€™s super dumb to only recruit from the pool of US-american workers. Someone suggested to me today that a non-US citizen can start an LLC and contract (1099 or whatever) with US companies that wayโ€ฆany experience with this?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Yeah agreed. Just a flagging system and I know itโ€™s hard to parse but you can look for things like โ€œPST, EST, CST, Mountainโ€ and โ€œU.S. Onlyโ€ โ€œUS Onlyโ€ โ€œ52 statesโ€ โ€œwithin USโ€ โ€œwithin United Statesโ€ โ€œcontinental United Statesโ€ โ€œcontinental USโ€ etc to start with.

You can specify [country] remote or global remote etc.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

some kind of flagging system might be quick and easy to implement until you find something more permanent. and, iโ€™d still list the US jobs because many people might still be interested, but just tag them as us only or somethingโ€ฆ

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

updated the topic header. Realised I wasnโ€™t clear that I was talking about the job ads, not the jobs themselves.

But I think this is a factor to consider for americans to go nomading, unless you already have strong networks and relationships in the US, referrals etc you might find yourself cut out of a major portion of the job market and most of โ€œthe internetโ€ you take for granted like the rest of the worldโ€™s already gotten used to

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@levelsio 9yr

Hi Munly, I agree completely. I didnโ€™t add this feature before as itโ€™s hard to parse the job feeds to see if a job is American only. But Iโ€™ll go and try again now as itโ€™s becoming a bit of an issue. I probably donโ€™t want semi-remote jobs on http://remoteok.io.

This is a wider problem with remote jobs by the way, you have this issue on most remote job boards. But Iโ€™ll try to see if I can implement a fix that only shows the REAL remote jobs.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@eddie 9yr

Well if youโ€™re applying for a remote job or temporary position. Then yes, youโ€™re obligated to follow the rules of the employer since you would be considered an employee/contractor. I guess this would be different than if you were monetizing a website or sold a product/service from your own business.

I feel as if weโ€™re in a transitioning phase in the U.S. where some older traditional business owners may be open to remote works but with a โ€œleash.โ€ Where some more modern start-ups with younger owners may be more open to working with people from around the world.

A lot might also have to do with the job requirements and the level of team collaboration needed. Is it something that a single person can do or do you need several people working closely together to make it work?

There are several reasons a business might want itโ€™s workers in the U.S. or live close by:

• Relatively same timezone for team collaboration/communication
  • Face to face is extremely valuable to a lot of business people
  • No need to deal with language or culture barriers
  • What if you fail to deliver? If youโ€™re not in the U.S. they canโ€™t take any legal action
  • Easier for taxes and accounting purposes
  • Stereotypes of โ€œforeign workersโ€ (many older business owners can actually be quite racist and judgmental of different cultures โ€ฆ Iโ€™ve seen it)
  • Overall less control and accountability

Times are changing and working from different countries is becoming more โ€œacceptable.โ€ However, itโ€™s a slow process and it really depends on how open the company is about remote workers and the type of work being done.

Best thing to do is to position yourself correctly. If you want to work remotely with U.S. based companies, network with them and prove to them that youโ€™re a valuable asset to have. Explain the benefits of working remotely (lower cost to the company, can cover additional shifts, you can provide a different perspective, testimonials of previous work experience, speak perfect english, have stable reliable internet/phone, etcโ€ฆ). Just my thoughts.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Totally agree with what youโ€™re saying espec since I spent most of my 20โ€™s in the US so I know where youโ€™re coming from but mostly itโ€™s not just remote work but I generally see Americans leaving a ton of money on the table by insisting on everything follow US standard, 1099 forms, SSNโ€™s, credit cards, country fields. Its literally been next to impossible for me to give Americans money most of the time as much as Iโ€™ve liked to for some companies but at this pt Iโ€™m not even talking about remote work. Outside of that Americans are generally having their lunch eaten by China from the ground up with an attitude of โ€œx business is too small for meโ€, no business is too small for China and the Chinese have been going all over the world doing business with everyone, something Americans used to do and invented with โ€œglobalโ€ companies but now we get BS like FATCA that effectively puts a fine/ongoing tax on doing that sort of thing.

But fundamentally Iโ€™m just asking if anyone else got sick of looking thru job ads and at least half of them insisting on US something or other and thinking, wish I could filter these out :slight_smile:

And yeah dude, you got me cracking haha Iโ€™ll reply to ur other msg in a day or two :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

nothing wrong with that if thatโ€™s what they want but it kind of defeats a lot of the point of being truly open to being remote. As this becomes more common sites will need to capture the specific details of โ€œhow remoteโ€ and where.

• to be open to a talent pool outside of what you have locally
  • cost / overhead savings. i.e. office space/desk/computer for them/cost of labor
  • access to a market you wouldnt be able to reach out to via your local team
  • access to someone who is able to cover a different shift off hours
  • block you from someone awesome who is an active travelling digital nomad outside of the US

It depends on how much of your team is based in the same location, and how much of things like standups are scheduled around local time.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@don_lee 9yr

Iโ€™m waiting for someone to help translate this for me to understand what he says and his question is. Also, what is wrong with working remotely at the same timezones with employers?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is anyone travelling right now?

by @viktor 3yr 3 years ago  | 3 comments

Winter is coming and Iโ€™m feeling the ache of travelling after being stuck in the same place since the Pandemic started. Wondering if anyone is travelling right now? If so, where are you currently located and how is the situation where you are?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Anyone up to explore some city which is kinda virus safe?

in Bangkok , Thailand by @germanrobert 3yr 3 years ago  | 2 comments

Hello World!

I'm an experienced Digital Nomad and after being in Lockdown in Bangkok and Germany for one year I would like to team up with someone to visit a new place. Or just doing some exchange about what destinations would be interesting currently.

I take the virus seriously and still I think we can still be able to take our life in our own hands. So I'm aiming for cities/countries which are not in full lockdown, are not too complicated about immigration (I'm looking at you Thailand, your state quarantine costs like 1k USD and is basically a prison) and is also rather safe regarding the virus. I tend to stick for rather big cities and like culture. I'm not a beach or nature person. I'm pretty flexible about the money topic.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Tax advisor for permanent nomads?

by @eljaques 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

I'm in need of a tax advisor who understands "our" typical situation. I'm all good on being legal on taxes at this point, but as I'm doing more investing and there's more compliance and KYC and such, it's getting more complicated to deal with this topic. Not living in my country of citizenship, company in another country, resident in yet another country, banking in a different country ... you know how it is, a pile of red flags.

Would be great to find a good tax advisor to sort things in a way that makes my situation as "explainable" and easily dealt with as possible. Any leads?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Anyone want to share an airbnb villa in Mexico?

in Mexico by @wouternomad 4yr 4 years ago  | 3 comments

I will be traveling/working through Mexico with my dog February to April. My plan is to stay in Sayulita for about 2-4 weeks, then travel south along the cost.

Is there anyone who wants to share an airbnb apartment? I was thinking of renting a private villa, but because these are large and have multiple rooms, I was wondering if there are fellow nomads wanting to share? Iโ€™m open to other locations as well (Puerto Vallerta, Oaxaca, and everything in between these two locations.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where should I set up my company as a remote worker?

by @beloruchka 4yr 4 years ago  | 7 comments

Iโ€™m looking for any recommendations for services or people others have used to get answers on the best place to set up their businesses based on their personal circumstances.

Leaning towards Singapore after a ton of research, but would really like some concrete advice before jumping in.

Appreciate it!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Anyone wants to learn to sail in the Mediterranean? (Sep or Oct)

by @viktor 4yr 4 years ago  | 1 comment

I'm thinking about taking a sailing (yachting) course in the Mediterranean Sea this coming September or October. Thus far from my research, it seems that most courses are held in locations with not many digital nomads. My thinking is that it would be more fun to go to a place with like-minded people. Therefore, I'm wondering if anyone else is interested in taking a sailing course in the Mediterranean this fall? If not, do you know a location that offers good sailing courses, where there is also many digital nomads / nomad infrastructure?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Bali to focus on attracting remote workers when the island reopens for tourism

by @levelsio 4yr 4 years ago  | 0 comments

When reopening for tourism, Bali says it will focus on attracting remote workers to choose the island as their workplace:

"We will focus on a new pattern of how Bali is not just for leisure, but indeed to work in Bali as well"

thebalisun.com/bali-tourism-will-target-digital-nomads-and-those-who-work-online/

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any attorneys working remotely?

by @rohitsn 4yr 4 years ago  | 3 comments

Transactional Attorney with a focus on US Immigration. Burnt out doing the law firm thing. Trying to leverage skill to get on this digital nomad tip. Love the traveling experience, hostels, seeing new places, new cocktails etc etc.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What do you use to work together remotely?

by @artofwarbiz 4yr 4 years ago  | 6 comments

What do you use to work together remotely with your team?

I know Slack, Hipchat and Hall.

Which ones do you guys use and why?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What have been your biggest challenges working remotely in your team?

by @wanderer 4yr 4 years ago  | 2 comments

My interest in DN lifestyle started when half of our company have been taking 1 month for remote work @ Ko Samui. It was truly cool but we observed quite some communication challenges. Communication seemed just โ€œriskierโ€ when online.

What were your worst situations caused by misunderstanding while communicating online with your teammates? What do you do to avoid misunderstandings?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Has anyone created a list of co-living spaces around the world?

by @keegansard 4yr 4 years ago  | 4 comments

Iโ€™m a big believer in co-living but Iโ€™m finding hard to find all the options available in different cities.

I have found the major players like Roam, The Collective, and WeLive but havenโ€™t found many others.

Has anyone seen a list or should I start making one?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Anyone know an accountant for Canadian nomads/expats?

by @noam_lightstone 4yr 4 years ago  | 16 comments

Hey guys, this was my first year as a Canadian nomad.

As far as I know of, Canadians donโ€™t pay taxes if they do not live in the country for 6 months.

But Iโ€™d like to talk to an accountant or someone who does Canadian taxes specifically for expats and nomads to get clear on the rules and for help on my return coming up.

Does anyone know someone who specializes in Canada who can help? Iโ€™ve seen plenty of US recommendations but none for us canucks.

Thanks guys!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Has anyone been terminated by Project Fi?

by @jackgopack 4yr 4 years ago  | 15 comments

Any long terms Project Fi users cancelled?

Planning on being outside of the US for a year or more and disappointed to just discover their โ€œtermination for excessive international roamingโ€ fine print (similar to T-Mobileโ€™s) as follows:

โ€œThe Services must be primarily used in the United States and are not intended for extended international use. Further, the Services are designed for use predominantly within our network. If your usage outside our network is excessive, abnormally high, or cause us to incur too much cost, we may, at our option and sole discretion, suspend your Project Fi account, terminate your service, or limit your use of roaming.โ€

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do we solve housing for digital nomads?

by @levelsio 4yr 4 years ago  | 61 comments

Thereโ€™s been a lot of discussion on this recently.

Nomads usually stay in hostels, hotels and short-term apartments. But itโ€™s all not very optimal.

Iโ€™ve heard people suggest getting funding and building a network of houses you can stay at for a subscription price (e.g. Bruno Haid is working on that).

I donโ€™t want do physical stuff, so Iโ€™m thinking of building a platform around making housing better for nomads.

What are the housing problems nomads face? And how can we solve them with products/services?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the first step now that I can work remotely?

by @mariaplslourdes 5yr 5 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi everyone and nice to e-meet you!
finally, after so long I found a job that allows me to work remotely.
But now? Do you have any practical advice that I can use to approach this new world?
In particular, I have to put my tax situation in order, do you know a good tax advisor from whom I can ask for advice? (Iโ€™m Italian but I live in Franceโ€ฆI donโ€™t know how long it will beโ€ฆ) )
Beyond that, any advice is welcome.
Thank you!
Maria

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How is Sicily for digital nomads?

by @gaelm 5yr 5 years ago  | 15 comments

Hi all, I was looking for a cool spot in Southern Europe for winter and Iโ€™m considering Sicilyโ€ฆ Have you ever been there? If yes, how was your experience? If not, why?
thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How is Bari, Italy for digital nomads?

in Bari , Italy by @mitch_dina 5yr 5 years ago  | 7 comments

Greetings!
Does anyone have experience in Bari, Italy please? We are thinking of going from Dubrovnik, Croatia to Bari by boat in mid-March. Has anyone taken a boat across? Is it nice or can it be choppy? (We are trying to avoid planes, to reduce our carbon footprint, so adding more surface travel.) Also, any info you might be able to offer about Bari and the surrounds? Next step will likely be trains up Italy as the Spring progresses.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How is Mauritius for digital nomads?

in Mauritius by @wakkos 5yr 5 years ago  | 14 comments

Hello all,

Iโ€™m planning on spending a couple of month in Mauritius Island and even when Iโ€™ve been there for a week, never rented or worked there.

Does anyone here has tips or experience to share about Mauritius?

Cheers!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Apple TV and Netflix: Do these work for Nomads?

by @lricci 5yr 5 years ago  | 8 comments

We launch in 2 weeks. In the US, we use Apple TV and Netflix regularly. Do these work abroad?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Recommendations for UK/Scotland accountants that understand remote businesses?

by @eduardoyi 5yr 5 years ago  | 1 comment

Looking for recommendations for reliable accountants who understand how remote businesses with off-shore freelancers and clients work. Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
447ms