Are there any coworking spaces on Thailand's islands? Ideally on Ko Samui or Ko Phangan?

Hi to all Nomads living on Ko Samui or Ko Phangan!

Are there any good coworking spaces on the islands of Thailand? (I only found one in Ko Lanta, but nothing on the Eastern islands like Ko Samui or Ko Phangan where I would like to stay.)
If not, what are the best internet cafes to work comfortably and quietly?
How fast and how reliable is the internet connection?

Thanks so much!

1 Like

Hey Rich,

I’ve been working remotely on Koh Phangan for a few years now. There are co-working spaces starting to set up, the first is set to open soon and I can imagine more will follow!

http://kohspace.com/ (set to open mid January 2015!) Is located in Ban Tai area.

Theres a few groups on Face-a-book worth following for updates on this right now…

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1389352704670054/

As for internet cafes and other places to work around the island, I can suggest a few places on your visit. Of course it is also possible to find suitable housing / rent with wifi for longer stays…the quality of internet varies of course.

I would recommend getting one of those AIS pocket wifi’s too.

UPDATE
If anyone would like some insider info on Koh Phangan and best places to work / rent / play - I’m happy to help, you can call me on +66 (0) 990 028 714 or send me a PM

Chok dee na krap good luck!

David

1 Like

Someone had been running an email signup list for a space on Koh Samui but now I can’t find it. I thought it was something like kohworking_com or some coworking play on Koh…

Personally I love Haad Tian/Yuan/Why Nam if you can get away from the increasingly frequent and long all night blasting music… Sanctuary has decent pay by volume internet for cafe style work, and Dtac reaches bungalows on the ridges (Bamboo/Beam). True wasn’t as good as Dtac last time I was this, no idea about AIS… YMMV.

hey rich!

If you go to Ko Samui, check out Son F Beach! It’s a bar-coworking space owned by a Russian designer. It’s small but cozy, with coworking upstairs and bar downstairs. Mostly Russian expats or travelers work there.
The price is 200THB/day, drink included.

I prefer coffee shops, however. I’ve been “nomading” mostly at The Islander in Chaweng, Ko Samui. It’s in a crowded street, ~17Mbps internet, although it goes down for a few seconds sometimes.

@DavidSidhom, thanks for the links! I just arrived on Phangan, and can’t wait to check you computer-keyboard-banging fellow travelers :smiley:

2 Likes

A good friend of the Ninjas hacker collective (Loren aka 6Q) owns a hostel on Koh Samui. It is called Backpacker Hostel. Here are the details: https://www.facebook.com/BackpackerHostelSamui?rf=582099511858459

This is a great place to use as a starting point because it’s very cheap, is a super friendly crowd, and (being hacker owned and operated) has fast reliable Internet (inasmuch as this is possible, bearing in mind that you’re on a small island in Thailand, a country currently governed by the army who recently took power in a coup). If you want to enjoy the Full Moon Party, 6Q also owns another hostel on Koh Phangan and it’s very easy to bounce between the two.

There are plenty of places to stay on Koh Samui, but landing in a friendly, laid-back place that is hacker owned and operated, with an American owner who knows how to organize everything you’ll need and can solve essentially any problem you’re likely to have is invaluable. I can’t recommend this place highly enough.

1 Like
  1. So sorry for replying this late. Was kind of offline over the holidays and family was a rare distraction.

2. Thank you all so much for the quick and useful replies. I look forward to checking out all of those places. @David, I might take you up on the offer and give you a call soon.

3. This forum rocks! Thanks everybody also for all the other great posts! Look forward to learning from you & giving back soon.

Safe travels,
Rich

@DavidSidhom we are looking a house in Ko Phangan with my team (trampolinn.com a home swapping community) we are 5, do you have any plans? My email is [email protected] or through whatsapp on this number +33641461589! Thanks mate for the advice (low bugdet unfortunately). Hugo

Hi there

We are launching the first beachfront coworking space that I know of and it is on a beautiful beach on the west coast of Koh Phangan.

Send us an email [email protected] for more info!

When are you guys opening up?

Any new co-working spaces & cafes since this thread was opened (in dec '14)?

Info on Ko Samui & Ko Phangan is great, but also on other islands having new co-working spaces.

Thanks