Clear search
🌍 Go nomad 👋  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage 🌗  Dark mode ❤️  Your favorites 🚑  Nomad insurance 🥁  About
Community
❤️ Dating app 🤝  Friend finder 💬  Chat on Telegram 💈  Host meetup
new
🍹  Attend meetup 🌎  Members map
Tools
🏜  Explore 🎒  NomadGPT 📸  Vote on photos 🗓  Residence calendar 💸  FIRE calculator 🌤  Climate finder 💥  Fastest growing 📊  Nomad stats
new
🧪 State of remote work new 📜  History of nomads
new
🕸  Network graph 🔌  Fastest internet 🏆  Best place now 🔮  Random place 🔮  Random good place
Misc
📈  Pageviews (625K/mo) 🗳  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,924) 🛰  Remote jobs ✈️  Best airlines 🗺  Neighborhoods 🏡  Rebase 🏝  Coworkations 🏡  Interior AI 📸  Photo AI 🆘  Support
👋 We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine you’re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

👍
👎

Are there any destination entrepreneurs here?

by @luke 9yr  | 13 comments

I’ve come across a new term “destination entrepreneur”. I have a strong desire to settle down somewhere in Asia, but need to get away from English teaching (which I have done for over 2 years).

The “dream” so to speak would be to learn the language of the people and interact more directly with their culture in more of a technical or business sense.

The main businesses I’m leaning towards are:
Sourcing Business
Exporting/Importing Business

I’d really like to see if there are any other “destination entrepreneurs” here that have started other businesses that interact more personally with people that you live on the ground with, or know of any success stories.

👍
👎
👍
👎
@jonmyers 9yr

“Friends don’t let friends go local.”

I’ve been in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), Vietnam for three years now. I continue to get more embedded here. In fact, I love living here and will be here for the near future, as far as I can see.

My business isn’t really “tied to Vietnam”, but I am getting huge residual benefits from being married to a local here, being active in the startup scene and in general, being committed to living here.

It changes your table image and opens your pool of opportunities wider.

I recently moved into a brand new, 3-story architect owned/ designed house. It’s pretty spectacular actually. We’re renting and have the option to buy for a reasonable price. Very modern and suits a neurotic designer such as myself.

Anyhow, my design studio has now moved to the top floor of this house.

I do have quite a few customers here now.

Working with a venture capital firm, owners of other big companies, and so on.

They come to my house to meet.

Thus, when they come to this house to work with me, it instantly ups my table image being in such a nice place, and enhances my commitment to being here. The bonds forged are deeper.

And thus, I see a lot of upside of being a big fish in a place like Hoch versus say, being back in NYC trying to swim up stream with the little fish.

Finally, no matter how hard you convince yourself, if you have no roots anywhere and are trying to play the business game, yes, you can do it, but you open yourself up to more difficulties and challenges.

👍
👎
👍
👎

Yeah I am.

I am actually a startup guy or I would be if could solve money + US immigration issues. At the moment though I am looking to relocate to a backup base in Panama. Will be starting a cross platform app dev agency with Xamarin or doing anything else that needs doing with computers that I can help with.

👍
👎
👍
👎

There are a lot of people doing this, but I don’t think they’re on this forum. I’m interested in this also. I’ve been thinking about an article on manufacturing in Thailand so it’s interesting that you mentioned sourcing. Thailand doesn’t get much love as a manufacturing base on the interwebz. You didn’t say where you were thinking about settling, but I thought I’d list a few people I know of who are “destination entrepreneurs” in Asia. Maybe it could be helpful to others also.

• Jamon Yerger & Matt Kowalak run a sourcing company called High
    Cappin’ in China.
  • Michael Michelini does the same.
  • Ric Commeleran spends about half the year in Thailand manufacturing
    products for La Variété in Barcelona.
  • Sean Cooney runs Badladz Resort in Puerto Galera, Philippines.
  • Joma Bakery Cafe has a few branches in Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam,
    and as far as I know all are run by foreigners.
  • Tyson Adams runs Jhai Coffeehouse in Paksong, Laos.
  • Adam Wintle runs Monogon, a design firm in Bangkok.
  • Andrew Clark started Q Bar in Bangkok.
  • Jan Jones runs oozou, a development shop in Bangkok.
  • Simon Robson runs Intropica, a software dev shop in Chiang Mai.
  • Ozzi Jarvinen runs Iglu, a “remoting” company in Chiang Mai.
  • Daniel Fraser runs Smiling Albino, a travel company from Bangkok.
  • David Jacobs runs the Language Institute of Natural Khmer, a language
    school in Phnom Penh.
  • Michael Riley runs Twist Juices in Thailand.
  • BKK Bagel Bakery is run by an American.

I’m sure there are a boat-load more, but this should give people looking a good indication that it’s possible.

👍
👎
👍
👎
@luke 9yr

That’s a great little list. I’ve lived in China for a short time but don’t know if I’m going to settle there or somewhere else. I’ve tried my hand at a lot of things trying to acheive “location independence”, but I haven’t found much meaning in it for the sake of just being location independent. That’s why I’m interested in the things I’ve mentioned…

There is something that can’t be replaced by face-to-face interactions and being involved more directly in the lives of people you are surrounded by.

👍
👎
👍
👎

Yeah, I tried to edit that, but it wasn’t wrong in the editor. Thanks @levelsio for fixing it.

You have no idea how much this resonates with me. I moved to Thailand so I could live more cheaply and try to build a business. I started with all the usual suspects—niche sites and info products—but have bailed on them all because I felt like I wasn’t adding any value to the world.

Even though I’ve been in Thailand for six years I’m still not settled on it. I fluctuate between “I’ve found my place” and “I gotta get out of here.” It’s frustrating.

I wonder if anyone has good advice on finding a place to settle? I assume no one has put much thought into it as most will return to their birth country and are happy to do so.

👍
👎
👍
👎
@levelsio 9yr

Thank you! I meet too many people doing soulless stuff. You’d expect people if they leave their old corporate jobs behind, they actually do something meaningful when they’re free. But the opposite is true often. I guess it’s harder to make $ doing cool stuff, in the short term at least.

👍
👎
👍
👎
@luke 9yr

I wouldn’t say there’s necessarily anything wrong in itself with niche products or info sites, but when I live such a very much minimalist lifestyle and then dropship more products into the already materialistic American society… something feels strange about it. And it’s very disconnected. Most niche sites are one and done, no interaction with anyone except for maybe customer service following a sale— which you then refer them to the original manufacturer. No real relationships.

@levelsio Could you expand on some of the soulless stuff you’re talking about? Are you just kind of echoing @bradonomics said about niche/info product sites? Maybe you’ve posted elsewhere, feel free to refer me to a link.

👍
👎
👍
👎
@luke 9yr

@levelsio you have a question to answer, or maybe I should start a new topic on this idea

👍
👎
👍
👎
@levelsio 9yr

I mean stuff build for the short-term too make quick money without any concept of ethics or morals. Like dropshipping, info products, get-rich-quick schemes.

👍
👎
👍
👎
@luke 9yr

BTW I was trying to figure out what “manufa turin” was, looks like a bug in the forum— I’m assuming you were saying manufacturing :smile:

@levelsio

👍
👎
👍
👎
@levelsio 9yr

Sorry fixed it :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

👍
👎
👍
👎

I’m not one, but you should check out Incomes Abroad - it’s a newsletter/magazine that features expats making income all over the world, including tons of entrepreneurs (both location-independent and location-dependent). So perhaps a good resource to both hear how others are doing things and maybe even find some kindred spirits.

Full disclosure: I write for the magazine. :slight_smile:

👍
👎
👍
👎
@luke 9yr

Interesting, thanks— I’ll be sure to check it out

👍
👎
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

👍
👎

Issues with not being a tax resident anywhere?

by @lightworker 4yr 4 years ago  | 2 comments

Anyone with knowledge regarding complications of not being a tax resident anywhere in the world? I’m aware that primary health care, bank account opening and incorperation can be problematic but are there other practical or legal factors I should be aware of?

And what about paying myself salary from a self-owned OECD company? I would like to know if I risk potentieal issues with the tax authorities in the jurisdiction of the company, especially regarding withholding tax.

Appreciate your input!

👍
👎
👍
👎

Are there nomad families here and how do you choose your next destination?

by @martinratinaud 4yr 4 years ago  | 4 comments

All members of my family has different needs and hobbies so how do you pick the perfect places?

👍
👎
👍
👎

What's the best warm destinations in Europe in the winter?

by @jammingsloth 5yr 5 years ago  | 33 comments

Planning ahead for the winter. I’ll be in Spain in the Fall and want to go someplace warm for the winter in or near Europe, but not Schengen. Was first thinking Cape Town, but the internet is slow and it is very far. Was also thinking:
Israel - but airbnb listings are very pricey.
Morocco?
Turkey - maybe a little chilly.

Any other suggestions?

👍
👎
👍
👎

How do you find the public transport information of your next destination?

by @nunoarruda 5yr 5 years ago  | 11 comments

Probably most of you do as I do, Google it first and then research further, if needed, on official transportation websites, travel guides, blogs, etc.

I travel each month to a new city and I find this task tedious, sometimes there’s not enough information in English or there might be a handy travel planning app or uber-like app that I’m not aware of.

I wish there were a “nomad list” website or app for transport information where you would choose a city and be given all the transportation options (Bus? Tram? Subway? etc), how/where to buy tickets/passes and any additional useful information (trip planner, apps, maps, etc).

Do any of you relate to this?

PS: I’m a developer and I might actually try and create something to “fix” this if a lot of people are experiencing this same “annoyance”.

👍
👎
👍
👎

Can I enter Thailand on a tourist visa and obtain an education visa there?

in Thailand by @hydrofog 6yr 6 years ago  | 7 comments

As an American Citizen, would it be safe to fly into Thailand without a visa? You can get a 30 day upon entry right?

The reason I ask is, I’m in the process of getting my passport. I’d like to leave basically as soon as my passport arrives in the mail. I’m unable to apply for a Thai Visa until I have my passport, so that would require an even longer wait.

Would I be able to fly into Thailand with no visa, then get a 30 day entry, then apply for an education visa while inside the country? Once I go, I’d like to not have to return to the US. I don’t mind if I have to take a bus/flight to a neighboring country for however long if I must leave while I wait for an education visa.

👍
👎
👍
👎

Any Latin nomads here?

by @chelocoach 6yr 6 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi! Hola!

the rules are to post in english, so…

I’ve seen much information on blogs, youtube etc, from Americans or 1st world country people. But the information I’ve seen from Latin people is most than anything backpackers, and I would like to know the experience of Latin nomads, since I think there maybe some issues that are different, like racism and that earning an Developed Country equivalent income is way more challenging. And when English is not your native language, trying to understand a Chinese or Indi people speaking english, may be a nightmare.

I would like to know the experience of the Latin people on becoming a nomad and if you feel there is any difference or special barrier to overcome, and how did you faced them.

would appreciate any comments :slight_smile:

👍
👎
👍
👎

Can you name some destinations where hardly anyone smokes?

by @ani_goes_tweet 7yr 7 years ago  | 24 comments

I’m dying to spend some time in a beautiful place (especially a place with mountains and a good climate) where it’s possible to enjoy the outdoor cafe culture without breathing in lots of secondhand smoke! There must be some places that are kinder to non-smokers than others.

Any suggestions?

(Bhutan is no good… its daily tourist visa is way out of my reach!)

👍
👎
👍
👎

Low Cost European Destination for August?

by @jcw 7yr 7 years ago  | 4 comments

We’re thinking of going nomadic for a month in August/early September with the kids in tow.

Ideally, we’d like to hire a two bedroom place somewhere warm (or warmer than England) without breaking the bank. Also, easy travel from the south of England (Gatwick or Heathrow) would be good.

Near a beach would be good or a place with lots of outdoors stuff for young kids to do.

Either 4 weeks in one location or 2 weeks in 2 locations would be good.

Both of us parents work remotely so we’d need reliable internet at the place of stay.

Coffee shops or a co-working space would be a bonus.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

👍
👎
👍
👎

How is Croatia as a destination for digital nomads?

in Croatia by @jbroomeresearch 7yr 7 years ago  | 40 comments

I’m thinking of spending August-October in Europe; Berlin was a strong contender, but I’m hearing good stuff about Zagreb. Anyone have any experiences (good or bad) to share?

👍
👎
👍
👎

Trang (Thailand ) starting mid January, how is internet there?

in Thailand by @oriettaxx 7yr 7 years ago  | 1 comment

Thinking about Trang, but need at least a 5M download internet
Will be hard to get it?

any suggestion about Trang is welcome (need to find a cheap apartment, and need also to stuck in front of my laptop to work :wink:

👍
👎
👍
👎

Villages-rural destinations in Europe, for slow nomadism?

by @magalhini 7yr 7 years ago  | 28 comments

Hi fellow nomads!

I’m currently on a quest to find some places for temporary living on a quiet, ideally green and mountainy village, somewhere in Europe, since I feel l could use a break from the busy lifestyles of Berlin and London.

Trouble is, everyone always goes for the big cities… finding villages with decent access (not requiring endless hours of driving from an airport) is proving to be tough so far :confused:

Some options are some inner, rural places in Romania and Slovakia, but I would love to hear what suggestions you come up with! Maybe somewhere in your home country that you know it’s a gem to decompress around nature ?

I would love to hear your thoughts :smile:
A cheer for slow living! :camel:

👍
👎
👍
👎

Any nomads in Europe want to do a Nomad Christmas gathering somewhere?

by @wanderingdev 7yr 7 years ago  | 16 comments

Hi Nomads!

Like many, I’m not heading back to be with my family for the holidays but I was thinking it would be fun to maybe do a nomad family gathering. We could rent a cool house/apartment somewhere fun and do our own thing. I personally am available from 23-27 December, but people could arrive/leave sooner/later. I love to cook so I’d be up for doing a big christmas dinner.

If anyone is interested, or has suggestions on a good place to go, chime in! :smile:

👍
👎
👍
👎

Good Eastern European tech and entrepreneurship hubs?

by @gigigriffis 7yr 7 years ago  | 7 comments

Hey guys!

For those of you who have spent time in Eastern Europe, I’d love to know where you’ve found good tech and/or entrepreneurship communities? My partner and I are going to spend a good bit of time in EE next year and would love to know some good spots for both networking and just finding like-minded people. Would love any tips you can offer, especially on non-capital cities or places that aren’t as well known.

👍
👎
👍
👎

Best ship-to-them storage options any use here?

by @rumpusparable 7yr 7 years ago  | 3 comments

Hiya,

While I don’t know when I’ll be settling down, I do see it eventually happening at some point if for no other reason for regular health care with age/problems.

So, when I chose to go nomad I got rid of everything except those special letters and trinkets I’d kept from growing up and past traveling that I wanted for my someday settled-home.

One of my Family member’s attic turn that initial set of items but I don’t want to use his & his wife’s attic indefinitely over years/decade/whenevertheymove/etc. and/or be stuck out when any of the above happen before I open that little house or condo somewhere I think best.

So, do any of you use remote storage locations that are meant to receive shipments into for those on the road?

I come from and my main health care options are based in the US, so that would be ideal for me, but I’ll take whatever place seems best when it comes to the safety of the few things I put away.

Thanks!

👍
👎
👍
👎

Are there any transportation planners in here?

by @rudiments 8yr 8 years ago  | 0 comments

Are there any nomads on here working as transportation planners or any type of urban planner? I’m curious about what kind of work you do on the road.

I’ve been traveling on my bicycle for the past couple years, doing a few interesting things related to planning while on the road, but not doing any work. It seems like too much of a hassle in my field, although it could be interesting to just take big jobs and move to the location for a few months to focus on the one job.

👍
👎
👍
👎

Any Forex trading digital nomads out there?

by @hooers 8yr 8 years ago  | 18 comments

I’m getting closer to being able to replace my job and fund my lifestyle through trading the foreign exchange markets. It’s taken a few years of study and trial and error but I’ve been consistently profitable for a while now and I plan to have trading as my primary source of income.

It would be great to hear from (and link up with) others who trade, or those who are thinking about trading the markets. Feel free to introduce yourselves and bounce ideas off each other.

👍
👎
👍
👎

How to find flights if I don't know my destination?

by @yago1 8yr 8 years ago  | 12 comments

Hi fellow DN’s
I’m searching for a DN “last minute” type website / service out there?
Maybe something similar to travelzoo.com and skyscanner.com or tripalertz.com but with more focus for DN’s ? What I mean is I don’t really care about the location - if I go to Mexico, Canada or Shanghai. If there is a good deal I might be seriously interested.
Maybe there is nothing like this yet in that case it would be something interesting to create.
Best Y

👍
👎
👍
👎

What are the best places to meet other web entrepreneurs in Kuala Lumpur and Penang?

in Kuala Lumpur , Malaysia by @yliasm 8yr 8 years ago  | 0 comments

Hi everyone,
I’ll be in Malaysia from mid-July onwards and would love to meet other web entrepreneurs. I’ll be roaming in the country for a month but will probably stay a bit in KL and Penang. According to your experience, what are the best places to meet web entrepreneurs in these two cities?
I’m particularly looking for web entrepreneurs but if you have suggestions to meet any other entrepreneurs, I’ll be glad to read it :slight_smile:
Thanks for all your answers,
Cheers!
HW.

👍
👎
👍
👎

Is Panama a good destination for tax residency for digital nomads?

in Panama by @anonym 8yr 8 years ago  | 23 comments

I’m from Europe and is looking for a country where I can declare my residency, mostly for tax purposes. Panama seems to fit everything. The plan is:

• Get permanent residency using “Friendly Nations Visa”
  • Create a company and get a work permit
  • Get clients to pay me in that company

Since Panama has territorial tax, all income earned outside Panama has zero taxation.

Is it just that good or is there some hidden catch? I live in a Scandinavian country and they just hate to let people go. Will there be problems in paradise?

The plan is to visit Panama once a year and after five years get a passport.

👍
👎
👍
👎

Any online personal trainer nomads over here?

by @juliusmaximus 8yr 8 years ago  | 11 comments

Was wondering if there are any nomads that fund their nomad lifestyle with online personal training services that I can connect with. Would love to exchange ideas and knowledge.

👍
👎
USD ─ $
°C
Nomad cost
✨ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
459ms