Are there any nomads from India?

Hey,
We are mostly working in Maharashtra, but open to working throughout India and the world.
Thanks,
Ankit Das

1 Like

Hello to all the few Indians who are on Nomad Forum — @ankitdas123, @vish, @keerthiko, @flyonthewall, @srajan821, @shabinesh, @rtdp, @RajAnand12, @Dave_Chakrabarti, @Shreshth_Mohan

I just thought of saying Hi to you all and see where we go from here. I am here to learn more about the life of a nomad and what it is to be a nomad. And probably make a transformation in a few months from now.

I just finished my intro here and this is my very 2nd post on the group.

I would love to meetup with you all. Is anyone currently in Mumbai and would like to catch up over a beer or coffee?

1 Like

Hey,
I am in Pune. Would love to meet up whenever in Mumbai.
Drop me an email at: ankit at aroundloveandlife dot com

Hi,
I am in Bangalore, will be on road to Rishikesh and Dharamshala in another two weeks \0/. Lets meet up when you are in Bangalore (I can host you) . Drop me an email at “shabi at fossix dot org”. Try joining the Bangalore digital nomads meetup http://www.meetup.com/Bangalore-Digital-Nomads-Meetup/ :smile:

The best solution at this moment is 100MBPS connection from Airtel

You can also try co-working space such as 91SpringBoard

Hey @ankitdas123
It’s good to see Indians too here &I I was wondering the same when browsing the forum.
I’m a digital nomad from last one year. Before getting married in Dec-14, I usually travelled across India and now me n my wife started travelling to other countries
Right now in Thailand n here for another 12 days.

After Thailand, next is Malaysia or any other country where getting Visa wouldn’t be an issue.

By profession I’m
a blogger n this gives me independence to work from anywhere.

Let’s stay connected! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@denharsh I have been following your blog posts whenever I get time read. And congratulations for your new married life. I read those posts as well.

I did not know I will get to interact with you personally here :smile:
My life is rather not a digital nomad, but a social entrepreneur. And for that I travel often. However Internet is pretty bad. We have so far installed 51 eco-friendly toilets in rural Maharashtra and waiting to do more.

Apart from that, we have been taking up new projects to work on. Our main idea is to leverage the power of existing Non profits through networking in rural India.

Do connect with me at: [email protected] (in case you have time :smile:)

2 Likes

Hi guys,
I am from Hyderabad and looking to start a nomadic lifestyle soon. We host via Airbnb regularly and have hosted a few digital nomads as well. If any of you comes to Hyderabad, would love to host you or at least connect. BTW, Hyderabad has terrific internet speeds, good co-working spaces and reasonably cheap accommodation. So it could be a good choice of place for digital nomads.

You can connect with me on Twitter: @sneha_magapu

Hi all,

Found this thread really interesting. Me and my partner (Srishti) started our digital nomading journey about 6 months ago. We both are freelancers in the field of Web Design & Development & we work remotely for clients all across the globe. I would like to share our experience till date.

Originally from Delhi, we initially stayed in Pune for about 4.5 months, which was a pleasant experience. Pune has got amazing weather, happy to help people (opposite of Bangalore), reliable internet connection (Airtel 4G), plenty of dine-out & food-delivery options, & moderately priced AirBNB homes (35k-45k/month for 1BHK). There are more than a few weekend getaway options around Pune as well. We visited Mahabaleshwar (breathtaking in monsoon), Lavasa, Lonavala & Mumbai.

During our time in Pune, we adopted a cute chihuahua puppy (Angel), who joins us in all our adventures now. We moved to Goa at the end of November to experience this exotic state in its best season. To our surprise, Goa turned out to be way below our expectations.

Since we both were brought up in Delhi, we had a certain level of expectations regarding infrastructure, quickness of services, & generally everything. We are not proud of this fact, and our working on becoming more adjusting day-by-day. Goa felt way too slow & laid back to us. Small things like getting an internet connection, communicating with AirBNB hosts, hunting for a co-working space, etc. took longer time than expected. Since we are freelancers, we like to track hours spent during each task, converting it to money using our hourly rate, & then taking a call if its worth it or not. (TIME = MONEY)

Goa is a beautiful place to be if you all you want to do is enjoy. In the last ~45 days here, we ended up spending most of our time figuring out little things. After 30 days staying at 1 apartment near Anjuna, our host ditched us and asked us to move out because she was able to rent it out to someone who could pay higher than us. We had to spend a hilarious amount of money since it was the season time leaving us very demotivated.

Internet situation is also really bad here. We have to keep switching between Vodafone 3G, Reliance Pro 3, & Tata Photon Plus for regular connectivity. Luckily, we found a coworking space in goa, which is really good. Lets see how it works out now.

We are planning to move to Thailand (Bangkok or Chiang Mai), as soon as we can. We are here in Goa till end of March at least.

We have also stayed in Bangalore for about 7 months (before Pune), though not as nomads. I had a regular job at a startup in Kormangala, & Srishti was figuring out between job & freelancing.

Any questions about Pune, Goa, Bangalore, travelling with a pet or anything else are more than welcome. I am also on the slack channel hashtagnomads as @shreyansqt.

Thanks for reading!
Shreyans & Srishti

1 Like

Hi,
Myself madhukar. I am from bangalore. I am been into nomad from last few months. I run my own software consultancy called datamantra.io

My first nomad experience been in nearby city mysore. We are group of 4 stayed for few weeks there. I also been to bangkok for 2 weeks in feb.

If you are planning to come to bangalore and need any help in planning to stay and work in south part of india feel free to reach out to me.

Hi, I am nomad from past one year. I am freelance developer and mostly travel solo. I am planning to explore kerala and karnataka in next few months. If anybody interested to join , inbox me.

@denharsh: Please email me at: [email protected] (not the one I mentioned previously)

1 Like

@shefali: nice to know that you are a solo traveler… I have been a solo traveler for long and have traveled (not tourism) a lot of places in India.

At present in Assam working with a non-profit organization on various things including increasing IT usage within the organization to tackle various issues. Its exciting. Visit us sometimes.

email: different.ankit at gmail dot com

1 Like

I was in Assam side one month ago. Now planning to go south india - kerala or karanataka next month.

I’m from India. I’m not technically a nomad but a location independent entrepreneur who travels (or at least tries to) frequently. My travels have mostly taken me outside India but | am looking forward to travelling in India more and discovering our wonderful motherland.

My main problem with travelling in India is that I don’t know the language well - I can only speak basic Hindi (its a long story!) which makes me feel a bit insecure travelling solo so always looking for travel companions.

If any of you guys are in New Delhi area right now - would love to meet up for a beer/coffee. It’s hard to find people of the same mindset and flexible schedules that I have. :slight_smile:.

1 Like

@greenhorn, I speak Bengali and understand almost zero Hindi :slight_smile: Like most Bengalis, I just assume everyone speaks either English or Bengali. It works surprisingly well; I’ve ridden Calcutta - Kargil - Leh - Bangalore - Calcutta camping for three months. People are friendly; if you make a little effort, everyone helps. I had the same experience in Tijuana, where my Spanish is atrocious.

@shefali, I was just in Goa last month, but I’m back in Calcutta now. Any chance you’re heading to this side of the country? What projects are you working on?

1 Like

I was in Kolkata one month ago… right now in pondicherry.

Aww, huh, just missed you. Enjoy Pondi! I hear it’s awesome.

1 Like

In hyderabad now :smiley:

I am now in Kolkata, leaving tomorrow for Jagdalpur :smiley: