Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (648K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,885) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations Interior AI Photo AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there any nomads living in Phuket or Krabi Ao Nang?

in Phuket , Thailand by @kelliel 9yr  | 13 comments

Hey,

Iโ€™m living and working in Saigon, for an online companyโ€ฆand I need to plan our business retreat that will be held in Thailand later this year. Iโ€™m trying to decide between Phuket and Krabi Ao Nang- so I would really appreciate talking to someone on the ground in either location!

I could use some opinions/suggestions about whether either of these places would be suitable for a group of over 100 people to stay and the convenience of planning daily activities for such a large group? (Iโ€™ve already been looking for accommodations, and it seems like there are many options in each place- so really, it would just be nice to get some personal opinions from being in these places :slight_smile: Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@miriam 9yr

Hey,
Which time of the year are you planning on coming? In the high season it will definitely be hard to find accommodation for 100 people - anywhere in Thailand. I would suggest you to get in contact with someone who knows the area well so they can help you out.

Personally I would recommend Koh Lanta, Krabi. During the green season the prices drop and you can find great offers for accommodation:) There are plenty of activities; with such a big group you can rent a few boats and go on a private island jumping tour; go snorkeling/diving, go hiking in the rain forest, discover the mangrove forest, go kayaking, fishing, rent a motorbike and drive around the islandโ€ฆ plenty of activities :slight_smile:

For more info and activities to do in Lanta check out: http://lanta.info/ and
http://kohub.org/ (The islandยดs only coworking space. Iยดve been working here for the past six weeks and its a great place for workation retreats etc., contact the owner James and he might be able to help you out!)

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@kelliel 9yr

@Miriam,

Thanks so much, Iโ€™m looking at these sites nowโ€ฆyou think that I can just contact James for some advice like best companies to contact to organize activities? The ones you listed are exactly what we are looking to do!

I was considering Koh Lanta, as my boss had been there and wanted to possibly have our retreat there- but it seemed impossible to find a large resort with a conference room there! (Maybe I need to broaden my search outside of tripadvisor and hotels.com?!)

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@yago1 9yr

Hey Kelliel,
Iโ€™v been in Krabi a few years back and it was OK but not wow :wink: if you know what I mean. Lots and lots of tourists there tooโ€ฆ Ko Phi Phi even worse. The weather was good and there where many attractions for during the day and the night so that the good stuff.
Best
Yago

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@kelliel 9yr

Yago1 โ€“

Not wow, huh?! I know what you mean! So thatโ€™s kind of a bummerโ€ฆyou went to the Ao Nang coastal area? Attractions/activities sounds good thoughโ€ฆalong the lines of nature/beach kinds of physical activities like kayaking, stand-up paddle-boards, large boats for slow cruises, hiking/biking, snorkeling, beach volleyballโ€ฆ?

Thanks for your input!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I spent a couple months in Phuket and wouldnโ€™t recommend it. I donโ€™t know what Krabi is like but I found Phuket to be scam central, overpriced and way too touristy. Oh and its filled with trash, polluted, the laws change constantly, traffic is terrible in many areas and transportation is very overpriced (say hi to the Tuk Tuk & taxi mafia) compared to the rest of SE Asia.

Absolutely avoid Patong unless you want the kind of experience youโ€™d get in the heart of the backpacker area in District 1 Saigon. Other areas arenโ€™t as bad but transport between them can be a paid. Mai Kao beach is the only beach that is undeveloped and untouched. If you go there youโ€™ll pretty much be the only ones there.

Most of the beaches are packed, especially with umbrellas and mats setup by local vendors who take over and try to push you to rent them. The local government tried to crack down on the rentals of beach chairs (theyโ€™re now banned) and instead began allowing the umbrellas and mats. Itโ€™s all very poorly enforced so things are just a mess regardless.

That being said, I can speak highly of Sugar Palm Residence on the edge of Phuket town as a place to stay (except the internet wasnโ€™t properly setup yet and thus no signal in most of the place and it was poor when you had it). They told me they were waiting on the IT company to come outfit the building with wifi but it wasnโ€™t due until a few weeks after I left. The site is http://www.sugarpalmresidence.com/, itโ€™s a fairly new place, residence style. Bit of a pain to get anywhere without transport though.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@kelliel 9yr

Hey, thanks for your help, denispitcher :slight_smile: Iโ€™ve heard these things about Phuket also- and so I was definitely planning to avoid the whole Patong area. But do you think that up the coast a good distance- like around Kamala beach- is better? Or on the East side coast of the island?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hi Kelliel,

I didnโ€™t check out very much of the East side of the island so I canโ€™t speak to it.

Kamala is better, though can still be quite busy as all of the Beaches near Patong can be. The good thing is that it is still close enough to Patong that if you want to go there for an activity, shopping or dinner its an easy trip (except during rush hour).

What are you aiming for? What kind of budget, what kind of activities? Also what time of year? From what I understood the on season vs. off season are quite different so that could be a huge opinion shifter on where would be good.

The further north you go the quieter it gets. The northern end of Bang Tao is alot quieter but harder to get to and tends to be more high end. The very northern part up near Nikki Beach club can be a great quietier spot good for a larger group. Be warned that โ€œcommercial activitiesโ€ are theoretically banned in the entire Cherang Talay area so if you do work with any sort of a local planner, they may be bribing (or taking a risk on a fine) their way to organizing anything. The southern end of Bang Tao may have a pollution/sewage problem. The river at the very bottom did not smell or look pleasant at all and it was flowing right into the ocean.

Surin Beach is nice, but small and still was quite busy. It also had pollution problems (much of Phuket has open sewage and it grew far too fast for the infrastructure to keep up so you could encounter pollution/sewage at many of the beaches). They were busy working on a treatment plant back when I was there, it was due to be finished months ago but hadnโ€™t been completed when I was there.

If you want to be closer to Patong (it is where all the action is on the island and the majority of nightlife/restaurants are there) I liked the look of Karon and Kata but I only really drove through there and stopped briefly to have a look. I stopped at Kata Noi for a few hours, very nice but very small.

Chalong/Rawai beaches seemed rather narrow and often packed with boats but could be reasonable.

Island wise, a friend of mine who went to Ko Phi Phi a few months before warned that its a huge tourist trap, filled with trash and not a very pleasant experience. I skipped it but my wife and her visiting friends went and they had much the same feedback.

Photographers I worked with spoke very highly of Ko Racha but I didnโ€™t get the chance to go see it as we ran out of time. It sounded like a great spot and far less well known and touristy than Phi Phi. The way they described it, there are two sides and people always flock to one or the other depending on the season so if you cross to the opposite side where the people are itโ€™d be a bit quieter.

For 100 people youโ€™ll have alot of logistics to figure out, unfortunately I canโ€™t help there.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@kelliel 9yr

Hey Denispitcher~~
Thank you again for your thoughtful answer!
I was wondering if Kamala wasnโ€™t exactly far enough away to avoid the crowdsโ€ฆbut it seems like there are resorts that are in our range (around $50 or so per night/per person) up the coast in that direction, and I assume they would provide a bit more privacy from the hectic world that many people associate with Phuket.
And our retreat will be in October, which I originally thought could be in the rainy season, but advice has convinced us that it shouldnโ€™t be pouring at this time! You think?

And thanks- thatโ€™s great to know about how the activities would be very difficult to arrange, as well as to acknowledge this potential sewage issue to avoid! Thatโ€™s definitely important!

Agreed on the Phi Phi reaction, unfortunately. I mean, it had itโ€™s unique moments, like the short hike to the viewpoint where you can take that iconic pic of the strip of land connecting the parts of Phi Phi island. But yes, overall, I felt like I was in an actual tourist trapโ€ฆit just wasnโ€™t very comfortable or pleasant.

I havenโ€™t looked in to Ko Racha, but thanks for the ideaโ€ฆHowever, if it is smaller, maybe they wonโ€™t have a large enough hotel/resort that also has a presentation/meeting room for over 100 people. Lot of logistics, yes, haha. Iโ€™m thinking that maybe Iโ€™ll look into Krabi Ao Nang or maybe Koh Lanta (as another poster mentioned) a little more. But your input on Phuket has really helped.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@thetwopct 9yr

You should think about Koh Lanta, just down from Krabi. Its got a great coworking space, plenty of cafes, some great spots to bulk book rooms, and plenty of activities + glorious beaches. Well worth a look.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@kelliel 9yr

@thetwopct
Thanks-- you wouldnโ€™t happen to know a resort kind of hotel (that is definitely large, to book over 100 people), would you?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@thetwopct 9yr

Try Pimalai (100 rooms) or Crown Lanta (80 rooms)

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@james 9yr

@kelliel would be glad to help, have been living here for 6 years, know the island inside outโ€ฆ email me :slight_smile: [email protected]

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@kelliel 9yr

@thetwopct we may have over 120 people, so we need even bigger : / But thanks!

@James yes I will email you!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any nomads in Arizona, US?

in Netherlands by @info132 3yr 3 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi guys,

After the Netherlands, the Bay Area, Colorado and being on the van life for 8 months, I am now in Sedona, AZ with a few other digital nomads. We are sharing a home here and are wondering if there are more like minded people in the area.

We do a bunch of hikes and campouts in the northern of Arizona. If you would like to connect with us, please do so :)

Val

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there any digital nomads in the Islands e.g Bermuda, Barbuda, St. Kitts and Nevis?

in Antigua , Guatemala by @momo11 3yr 3 years ago  | 3 comments

Does anyone ever travel to any Islands like Bermuda, Barbados, Barbuda and St. Kitts & Nevis?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any good coliving or other monthly rentals in Seville?

in Seville , Spain by @antoine_th 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Hello Everyone

I'm planning to stay in Seville for 6 weeks for mid January - end of February. Do you any recommandations for a coliving or a place to live in?

Thanks ๐Ÿ™

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best place in Portugal near cool nomads, good surf, and a great cowork spot

in Portugal by @joelnicholson 3yr 3 years ago  | 9 comments

Hi there, title says it all. Canadian nomad hoping to find the city/town in Portugal with great, consistent surfing, a solid coworking spot, and a fun group of young nomads. Please recommend!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Tax advisor for permanent nomads?

by @eljaques 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

I'm in need of a tax advisor who understands "our" typical situation. I'm all good on being legal on taxes at this point, but as I'm doing more investing and there's more compliance and KYC and such, it's getting more complicated to deal with this topic. Not living in my country of citizenship, company in another country, resident in yet another country, banking in a different country ... you know how it is, a pile of red flags.

Would be great to find a good tax advisor to sort things in a way that makes my situation as "explainable" and easily dealt with as possible. Any leads?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What is the best online insurance for digital nomads ?

by @berberos 4yr 4 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi guys ! hope you are doing well.

I would love to get your feedback regarding the best insurance for digital nomads. i'm traveling around Asia since 1 year and for next 4 or 5 years. Would love to buy an insurance to cover especially :

- health

- laptop, phone ...

- Flights

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Do you prefer co-living spaces or hostels or Airbnbs?

by @davda1546 4yr 4 years ago  | 5 comments

We are hoping to become nomads soon and have booked an AirBnB in September in Goa for our first destination. We are considering what would be the best option for accommodation after that. We are trying to decide between co-living spaces, hostels, or Airbnbs.

What are your experiences of accommodation in terms of the following: reliable wifi, social aspect, pricing, cleanliness, cooking facilities?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any nomads working on startups?

by @mattlock 4yr 4 years ago  | 33 comments

Hoping to see all the cool stuff people are working on while they live an extraordinary life.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Does international health insurance for digital nomads exist?

by @al_steffen 4yr 4 years ago  | 59 comments

Hey Nomads!

Iโ€™m looking for an international health insurance (no travel insurance) for my nomadic life. It should cover the basic services and at least be accepted in the EU (itโ€™s ok if itโ€™s not accepted in the US as Iโ€™m aware they rarely are). Nice to have: enter into a contract online. Anyone got a good experience or a recommendation?

Thanks in advance!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Has anyone created a list of co-living spaces around the world?

by @keegansard 4yr 4 years ago  | 4 comments

Iโ€™m a big believer in co-living but Iโ€™m finding hard to find all the options available in different cities.

I have found the major players like Roam, The Collective, and WeLive but havenโ€™t found many others.

Has anyone seen a list or should I start making one?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do digital nomads pay tax?

by @rodriigovieira 4yr 4 years ago  | 19 comments

Hello everyone! Iโ€™m new here and probably this is a very newbie question, but it doesnโ€™t leave my head.

How do you, nomads, pay your taxes? I mean, if youโ€™re constantly traveling, how are you going to pay taxes for a certain country if you are going to stay there a short period of time?
Or do you return to your โ€œoriginal countryโ€ and then pay them?

By the way, this forum has very nice cool formatting features! :smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Anyone know an accountant for Canadian nomads/expats?

by @noam_lightstone 4yr 4 years ago  | 16 comments

Hey guys, this was my first year as a Canadian nomad.

As far as I know of, Canadians donโ€™t pay taxes if they do not live in the country for 6 months.

But Iโ€™d like to talk to an accountant or someone who does Canadian taxes specifically for expats and nomads to get clear on the rules and for help on my return coming up.

Does anyone know someone who specializes in Canada who can help? Iโ€™ve seen plenty of US recommendations but none for us canucks.

Thanks guys!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where are the nomads in Mexico City?

in Mexico City , Mexico by @shellyfish 4yr 4 years ago  | 9 comments

I just landed as a n00b digital nomad in Mexico City, and I am wonderingโ€ฆ Where are all the international digital nomads hiding around here? I have been to several coworking spaces (Selina etc.) only to find A LOT of local Mexican workers and businesses. Donโ€™t get me wrong, that is all fine, but I was hoping to meet some international nomads! Any advice?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do we solve housing for digital nomads?

by @levelsio 4yr 4 years ago  | 61 comments

Thereโ€™s been a lot of discussion on this recently.

Nomads usually stay in hostels, hotels and short-term apartments. But itโ€™s all not very optimal.

Iโ€™ve heard people suggest getting funding and building a network of houses you can stay at for a subscription price (e.g. Bruno Haid is working on that).

I donโ€™t want do physical stuff, so Iโ€™m thinking of building a platform around making housing better for nomads.

What are the housing problems nomads face? And how can we solve them with products/services?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

App/tool/service for nomads to bring things from another country?

by @brmolin 4yr 4 years ago  | 4 comments

I vaguely remember hearing about such a service before, but Iโ€™m drawing a blank on the name. Basically I left my tablet on a connecting flight in Europe, right before my main flight to Thailand. They have my tablet and are willing to ship it out for me, but people have warned me thereโ€™s a big risk of it getting โ€œlost in the mailโ€ if I ship something expensive like that to Thailand.

Iโ€™m wondering if thereโ€™s a service or community, where I can find a nomad whoโ€™s in Europe/heading to Thailand soon, so I can have it shipped to them in Europe and pay them to ferry it down here for me? I met someone in Budapest a ways back who had built something for this type of use-case, but I canโ€™t remember the name of it. Any help would be appreciated!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there any nomads from India?

in India by @ankitdas123 5yr 5 years ago  | 56 comments

I have seen a lot of posts from different people across the world, but not even a single post from someone in India, who has been a nomad, either living within the country or traveling to another one.

Would definitely love to hear stories from such people. We are a couple traveling as social nomads who are trying to bridge the gap between the rural and urban societies in India. We have started out very humble and do not have much resources, so looking out for help from the community.

Ankit & Rishika
Around Love and Life

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How is Sicily for digital nomads?

by @gaelm 5yr 5 years ago  | 15 comments

Hi all, I was looking for a cool spot in Southern Europe for winter and Iโ€™m considering Sicilyโ€ฆ Have you ever been there? If yes, how was your experience? If not, why?
thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How is Bari, Italy for digital nomads?

in Bari , Italy by @mitch_dina 5yr 5 years ago  | 7 comments

Greetings!
Does anyone have experience in Bari, Italy please? We are thinking of going from Dubrovnik, Croatia to Bari by boat in mid-March. Has anyone taken a boat across? Is it nice or can it be choppy? (We are trying to avoid planes, to reduce our carbon footprint, so adding more surface travel.) Also, any info you might be able to offer about Bari and the surrounds? Next step will likely be trains up Italy as the Spring progresses.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How is Mauritius for digital nomads?

in Mauritius by @wakkos 5yr 5 years ago  | 14 comments

Hello all,

Iโ€™m planning on spending a couple of month in Mauritius Island and even when Iโ€™ve been there for a week, never rented or worked there.

Does anyone here has tips or experience to share about Mauritius?

Cheers!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best way to connect with "local" nomads using Nomadlist?

by @migueltic 5yr 5 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi, Iโ€™ve seen that Nomad List offers different options that could work for connecting with other nomads that are in the same place as me (forum, Slack, user maps, matches and maybe even more options I havenโ€™t seen), but Iโ€™m not sure what is the best/recommended way to use all these options.

Should I use all of them? Start with a message in the forum and/or Slack?

Sending private messages to a lot of people feels a little bit โ€œaggressiveโ€. And matches are not based on current location if I understood it correctly.

By the way, I just arrived at Budapest :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
443ms