Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (648K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,882) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations Interior AI Photo AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there towns similar to Boulder or Portland in Europe?

in Portland , United States by @j0hnlucas 8yr  | 17 comments

Small towns with:

1. beautiful nature (mountains or sea)
  2. progressive (clean energy, digital, social justice, etc)
  3. laid back attitude
  4. affordable
  5. good startup community
    It seems to me that if 2 and 5 then itโ€™s hard to have 1 and 3. e.g. Berlin for startups is too big, not great nature, a bit too cold. Am I asking too much? :smile:
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@ajsnewman 8yr

Aosta is pretty close to Boulder. Less prestigious university and slightly light on on the start-up scene but growing.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@sonia 8yr

If you where considering Berlin, you might want to look into Leipzig. Itโ€™s not too far from Berlin (about 1-2 hours south) and has a similar vibe, but is smaller and more affordable. Climate will be roughly the same of course. But lots of lakes around, very bike friendly and very good kayaking in and around the city. No mountains thoughโ€ฆ

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I definitely recommend Brighton, itโ€™s got a great alternative scene, lots of decent beer and burger joints, and very closer to the south downs.

The weather probably matches Portland closely, itโ€™s pretty miserable in the winter but the summer is glorious.

I wouldnโ€™t say the tech scene is thriving but better than average.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Sounds like Brighton, UK.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jan/12/brighton-leading-tech-startups
http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/south-downs-way
http://northlaine.co.uk/

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@j0hnlucas 8yr

The vibe in Brighton seems definitely more laid back than in London. I liked it when I visited for a couple of days. Although I gotta say, the outdoors in England are quite repetitive and the sea is not very enjoyable. Itโ€™s more personal than anything else, after 5 years of UK Iโ€™d rather go somewhere else!

From what Iโ€™ve read so far, it seems that most laid back and progressive locations with some startup community can be found in the north side of Europe, which is a shame as the south is so beautiful and much warmer. I have a strong connection with the mediterranean sea and I feel happy just by smelling the vegetations and seeing the warm colours. It would be jackpot if I could find a Boulder near the mediterranean sea, or even within 100-200k range.

Anything in Southern Europe that matches my criteria above? Even if 4 out of 5 :smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Agree with @gianluca_trombetta - would be nice to find somewhere hotter! Currently living in Brighton and although we have an ace kite surf and water sport scene, itโ€™s not quite the med.

Iโ€™ve been looking at Tarifa and Lisbon as next possible locationsโ€ฆ

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Grenoble ?

• Big university campus
  • Scientific Hub
  • Wonderful nature (Alps and prealps called Vercors and Chartreuse)
  • Startup ? Iโ€™m not sure but start it :stuck_out_tongue:
  • Weather is not bad

Geneva ? (ok not affordable :slight_smile: )
Maybe Lyon, Nice (expensive), Montpellier ?โ€ฆ

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@tjwaldorf 8yr

Cambridge in the UK is the closest town to Boulder that Iโ€™ve seen thus far, but it fails rather miserably when it comes to outdoor adventure opportunities. Other than that, all boxes checkedโ€“good startups, progressive + smart community built around a university, laid back, and about as affordable as Boulder or Portland (which is to say not very unless you live in a nearby village. Again, just like Boulder or Portland). It even has a large metropolis 40m away.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@cpury 8yr

I can second Freiburg. Itโ€™s one of my favorite places. I used to live there for three years and this summer returned to do some nomading. Can even suggest some cafรฉs to work from. In Summer you should absolutely hang out at Jos Fritz Cafรฉ. They have a quiet shady beergarden with free wifi, and nobody cares if you donโ€™t order something for hours.

But Iโ€™d have to add that itโ€™s not a great place for IT/nomading if you care to meet other people with similar interests. Apart from the small IT faculty, there is barely any IT industry to talk of. People generally are a little anti-computer and all about being outdoorsy, political and sustainable. Donโ€™t expect them to be super excited when you tell them what you do :slight_smile: Maybe some people will even scowl.

Nonetheless, the vibes are awesome there and Iโ€™m sure they will broaden your horizon when you get to know them. Moving there was one of my best decisions so far.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@mule5 8yr

Freiburg Im Breisgau Germany. http://www.freiburg.de

1. The Black forest is beautiful and natural area with lakes nearby as well. Well located near France and Switzerland. Warmest region in Germany I think.
  2. Large green energy research and implementation from the universities there. Great public transportation and connections via bus, rail, light rail and airports.
  3. Vaubahn community might be Portlandesque. They even have a few food trucks. University towns are more diverse and alive, IMO.
  4. Germany isnโ€™t inexpensive though, but might work if you are a frugal person on a budget. :frowning:
  5. Vibrant university town, might be good for startups and talent or even flat sharing.

Iโ€™d love to be in this area, itโ€™s in the so called blue banana zone. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Banana

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@bavals 8yr

How about 4 out of 5? Good enough? If 2 (progressive) is not crucially important, I suggest checking out Lisbon.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@j0hnlucas 8yr

Yeah I think Lisbon ranks high despite not being very progressive. I think itโ€™s still a little too big and messy for me, I really wanted something smaller.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

@twaldorf is from Boulder and has visited few places in Europe, maybe he can give some mindful answer.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland, hits your first three (fails miserably on the affordable requirement, but is great if you have the money).

Ljubljana, Slovenia might be a good bet. I donโ€™t know about the startup culture, but thereโ€™s at least one cool co-working space and itโ€™s definitely affordable, close to nature (30 minutes by train and youโ€™re in some of the prettiest landscapes in Europe).

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@jpleboeuf 8yr

I think Tallinn in Estonia may fit this description.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@hjbarraza 8yr

Iโ€™ve never been there, but if all the tales are true, Estonia seems like a great place to be a digital nomad and/or tech entrepreneur.

Iโ€™m actually thinking of moving a holding company there.

Can anyone can verify the lifestyle at Estonia?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@mosys 8yr

Check out Bonn. Siebengebirge just around the corner is beautiful, Bonn is progressive with a good mix of nationalities (DPDHL, Telekom and NGOs means many Expats), smaller and less hectic than Berlin, more affordable than Munich and better weather than Hamburg.
Drawbacks include rising cost of living and the next startup community (small but growing) being in Cologne (30min by train).

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are some nice French beach towns?

in France by @amin 4yr 4 years ago  | 4 comments

I'm thinking to head over to France during the winter and I'm looking for recommendations on a good French town that has beach and is warm enough during the winter.

What are your favourites? Any recommendation is appreciated.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to ship bikes from US to Europe?

by @ld 4yr 4 years ago  | 3 comments

Hello,
Iโ€™m preparing to travel again to Europe, but this time I want to bring our bikes. 2 road bikes. Iโ€™ll be traveling from USA to the Milan or Rome airport.

Iโ€™d appreciate hearing your thoughts, experience and tips on traveling with a bike. I plan on being fairly stationary with our location and staying in one spot for 2-3 months, then (hopefully train) to another spot for 3 months, etc. So itโ€™s the initial international flight Iโ€™m most concerned about. But realistically, I think a regional flight will be inevitable with the bikes, too.

I know a bike box will be huge and we will have to break down the bike, thankfully our bikes are fairly light weight. Iโ€™m expecting it to be a huge painโ€ฆbut I think the reward of having a good bike to roam around with will be invaluable. Especially since we will be staying in rural areas and donโ€™t want to rent a car.

General range of cost?

Anyone bring their bike and glad they did? โ€ฆWish they didnโ€™t?.. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How's the internet in Oaxaca towns?

in Oaxaca , Mexico by @azurio 4yr 4 years ago  | 0 comments

Hi guys!

If youโ€™ve been to Puerto Escondido, Mazunte, Zipolite, etc, please share your experience with the internet there.

• What speeds did you get up/down? Where?

• How solid and consistent was the connection?

• How common are blackouts and loss of power?

• Any other tips, favorite places to work, etc?

Which towns have decent internet?

• Puerto Escondido
  • Mazunte
  • Zipolite

0 voters

Thanks so much!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best beach towns in Southern Italy?

in Italy by @mitch_dina 5yr 5 years ago  | 1 comment

Looking to spend a month or so (March/April of โ€˜19) in a beach town(s) in Southern Italy, anybody have good experience down there?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best European Ski Towns?

by @matthewhallcom 6yr 6 years ago  | 9 comments

Looking to spend around 6 weeks somewhere in Europe this winter skiing and working. Donโ€™t need a big tech community but care more about it being affordable and having at least half decent skiing.

So far I have heard good things about Les Deux Alpes, France and Bansko, Bulgaria.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where is the best place to open a bank account in Europe?

by @julien 6yr 6 years ago  | 7 comments

Hello the community,

I am thinking about opening a business bank account in another country outside of France.
I live in Paris and I work as a freelancer. The taxes on my salary are very expensive (around 85%). I would like to know if there are better options for bank accounts within Europe.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,

J

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where to pay taxes if self employed non-resident of the UK, travelling Europe?

by @jadi4nd 6yr 6 years ago  | 5 comments

Hi, I know there are a few posts around this topic but none of them quite answer my questions.

I am British and currently a resident in the UK.
Next year I am going to become a non-resident and spend over a year traveling mostly around Europe, moving every few weeks never staying anywhere longer than a month. (My first venture into becoming a digital nomad!)

I am remote, self employed, software developer working mostly for one client based in the UK.

Where am I liable to pay taxes?
From what I have read I will not be liable to pay taxes in UK, can anyone confirm this?
If not the UK then where if I am moving every few weeks?
If possible I want to avoid starting a company as this seems unnecessarily complicated for my work setup.

Thank you in advance for any help :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Quaint small towns/villages in Italy and/or France

in Italy by @theunisk 6yr 6 years ago  | 13 comments

Any recommendations for a few weeks stay in a small, quiet town or village somewhere in Italy/France during summer ? Open to any setting, by the seaside, in the mountains or the countryside - Iโ€™d like to get a feel for local life (outside the cities) in a charming place.
Having hiking routes available nearby would be a bonus, but not required.
Internet speed will not be very important, so that does not need to be taken into consideration.
Iโ€™ll likely be doing both Italy and France, so suggestions for both would be great.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Which USA towns to experience rural South?

by @srg_b 7yr 7 years ago  | 3 comments

Iโ€™m going on a rock festival to Louisiana in October. From there Iโ€™d like to visit maybe 3 places and be gone by new year. What Iโ€™m looking for are dreamy rural towns ~50k in size that havenโ€™t changed much and will allow me to briefly experience how it is living in the South/SE USA. Another thing is since Iโ€™m coming in Fall, what will the weather be? Where Iโ€™m coming from, November is all rain, clouds, winds and 10 degrees (so the crappiest weather possible). Are my filters yielding any results? Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Favorite towns in Mexico (and near it)?

in Mexico by @azurio 7yr 7 years ago  | 5 comments

Hey guys!

We love Mexico. Weโ€™re excited to find outstanding towns to live in for 2-12 months at a time. Weโ€™re also open to Central American gems.

We especially appreciate learning about those smaller towns that are lesser known but amazing. Personal favorites!

Here are some of our interests:

• a paradise vibe: ocean, lush greenery, vibrant arts, and/or old town charm
  • at least 3 Mbps download speed
  • great cost of living
  • considerable expat and retiree crowd
  • not too much of an urban city โ€” though a smaller town outside a city can work
  • a bit touristy is okay

Here are lesser-discussed towns that caught our eye โ€” weโ€™d love impressions of these and more that come to mind:

• Huatulco
  • Ixtapa
  • Guanajuato
  • And more?

Thanks so much, guys!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Celebration of New Year's eve 2017 in Europe?

by @mary_oleksiuk 7yr 7 years ago  | 1 comment

New Year 2017 is coming :slight_smile: Iโ€™m wondering where digital nomads going to celebrate it? And whats special plan do you have?
Iโ€™m still at phase of planning for New Year and cant decide a place in Europe where to go :smiley: Italy, Spain, Portugal?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Low cost + Nomad community in Europe?

by @joaoalbertofn 7yr 7 years ago  | 8 comments

Hi Guys! Iโ€™m planing to kick start my Nomad Life style in July, and Iโ€™m researching cities in Europe that can provide three things:

1. Low cost (Iโ€™m earning money in Brazilian Real, not Dollars). Especially regarding rent.
  2. Some kind of Digital Nomad community and Co-working spaces.
  3. Security. Low criminality.

All other characteristics (Weather, english speaking), are not as important as the ones above.
=D

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the ideal digital nomad places in Europe?

by @mrwhite 7yr 7 years ago  | 22 comments

Hello.

I am looking for doing about one month of solid work; I have previously worked out of Chiang Mai and I am looking for something simlar:

• Good coworking place
  • Cheap rent
  • Good food

But in ideally in Europe.

In other words: What are good digital nomading places in Europe? In particular something that is not too dark and cold this of time year.

โ€“ Christian

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are good ski towns for digital nomads?

by @andrewdblevins 7yr 7 years ago  | 9 comments

It looks like most people on here tend to go to the more tropical locations, has anyone done the opposite? Any digital nomad ski-bums out there? I would love to hear your stories.

Where are the good Ski-towns, with slopes, powder, cheap living and good wifi? About how much will it cost? What is the best way to get short term housing in a ski-town during ski season?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What is the best voice service in Europe?

by @que 8yr 8 years ago  | 6 comments

Hello, what is the best voice service to use in Europe? I plan to move around to different to countries. Iโ€™m wondering what people are doing?

I was thinking of using Appleโ€™s Sim for data, but that doesnโ€™t include voice.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where should I set up a home base in Europe?

by @tylertringas 8yr 8 years ago  | 22 comments

Hi folks,
Iโ€™ve been nomading for about 2 years straight and Iโ€™m looking to switch it up a little bit. This year Iโ€™d like to set up a home base somewhere while still being able to travel around 50% of the time. I thought I would just put my current thinking here to to see if anybody had advice or input on it.

First, why have a base at all? For me it boils down to three reasons:

1. Gear. Rock climbing, skiing, diving, trekking (and if youโ€™re me, cooking) require specialized gear. I have some of that stuff in storage in the US and Iโ€™m tired of over-paying to rent sub-par equipment. Looking for a spot to store my gear and easily swap it out as needed based on seasons.
  2. A comfortable default spot for work. Sometimes you just want to sit in one spot for a month or more and just crank on a project. I want a great setup that I know I can default back to when I really just need to focus on work.
  3. Community. Nomading is great and this community is excellent. But Iโ€™d like to have my cake and eat it too, being part of a local and nomad community.

So Iโ€™m looking at Barcelona, Berlin and Budapest. No I donโ€™t have a weird thing about cities that start with โ€œBโ€ - it just worked out that way.

Iโ€™m likely looking for a 1 bedroom apartment in the city center (i.e. Gracia, Mitte, District VII). It needs to be either (1) cheap enough that I wouldnโ€™t feel awful about traveling while still paying rent, maybe max EUR 800-900/mo (2) Or, easily Airbnbโ€™able if Iโ€™m gone for a while. Also looking for โ€œforeigner-friendlyโ€ setup without an extensive bureaucratic leasing process.

So my questions:

1. What are the sites/processes for finding long-term apartments in these cities?
  2. Anybody seen any interesting other solutions to this? Like dedicated nomad housing? Sweet group housing around this idea?
  3. Anybody already have a setup like this that theyโ€™d care to share?

Also if anybody loves this idea and wants to chat about finding a bigger place together Iโ€™m open to the idea.

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the best AirBnB houses you've been in Europe?

by @carlien 8yr 8 years ago  | 4 comments

At the moment Iโ€™m scouting AirBnB for a good place to stay for september. Which houses have you been & can you recommend? Iโ€™m looking at all kinds of locations.

Thanks in advance!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Quality of remote connections (RDP, TeamViewer etc.) from SE Asia to Europe?

by @djar 8yr 8 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi,
this is David from germany.

I am planning to stay in SE Asia in Q4 2015 while continue working. My work is location independent, but i would need to access customer sites in germany via remote connection. Has anyone done this bevor?
When i was in Thailand for holiday, voip telephony like skype, google talk etc. was working fine, but i did not test any remote access. It was a holiday. :smile:

I know that for web guys, this is not a problem, because SSH and git are not so much time critical like a โ€œliveโ€ desktop session. I know that there will be more lag, as ping times Asia -> Europe will be more like 500ms rather than the < 100ms what working in close proximity to the customer.

I might start at Bangkok or Chiang Mai, so any first hand reports from there would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
David

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best digital nomad communities in Europe?

by @geo_care 8yr 8 years ago  | 10 comments

Hello nomads,

For those of you with a bit of experience, could you fill in a top 5 of the strongest (paid programs excluded), digital nomad communities around Europe?

Thanks in advance!

Geo

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How is San Jose del Cabo for nomads? Other good beach towns in Mexico?

in San Jose , United States by @jammingsloth 8yr 8 years ago  | 0 comments

Looking towards next winter. Have my eyes on Mexico, looking to be by the beach. Has anyone ever spent time in San Jose del Cabo?

Looking for fast-ish internet, and a good art scene. Not looking for spring-break party destination, but touristy is fine (kind of goes along with the art scene). Any recommendations?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
491ms