Are web development development bootcamps worth it?

I am contemplating if attending a full time web dev boot camp is worth it ? My goal is to become an expat or digital nomad , after enhancing my programming knowledge through a web development boot camp . Are they worth the price tag ? If so , which ones are highly notable? All suggestions and thoughts are definitely welcomed!

Short answer: yes.
Longer answer: i don’t know about “web dev bootcamps” in general. I did Le Wagon in Brussels earlier this year and it was totally worth the price: teachers/staff super competent and helpful, great pedagogical model, lots of networking opportunities with the local tech startup community, students from all over with great mindset. The goal of Le Wagon is to train entrepreneurs to code so that they can make their ideas themselves. It is more than just learn to code. I totally recommend it.
(And i am not paid by them in any way to say this)

@wanderingdev actually encouraged me to apply for the General Assembly Web Development Immersive. I start next month. I’ll let you know once I’ve finished.

She completed it last year and will happily give you some feedback, I’m sure. :slight_smile:

I am General Assembly WDI alumni and it was great. Definitely worth the money if you are looking to shorten your learning curve as a beginner with the help of mentor and your fellow course mate. I want to be digital nomad as well, still learning. Good luck!

Yes. As travelrawr said, I attended the General Assembly WDI and it was one of the best decisions I could have made. You come out still needing to learn a lot so immediately finding a remote job might be a challenge but it’ll position you well for becoming a nomad. I was really lucky with my job. I got an offer on graduation day (because I busted ass to position myself well for it) with a company that allowed me to nomad in europe for 3 months just a couple months after starting and now I’m working in their Colombia office through the end of the year. I tried learning online on my own and it didn’t work for me. I learned more in the first week at GA than I did in almost a year of studying online.

Would General Assembly WDI be beneficial for someone who just want to become a freelancer on UpWork or get work through referrals? It is not cheap and seems to promote the full time job at the end of the tunnel angle.

I already have income from my online business, I just want to learn JS and related languages in order to have a backup career or to switch from online entrepreneurship to a freelance programmer if I get burnt out.

I don’t think you should ever let one program or one person be the only ones that teach you…general assembly feeds you the information in a limited way… I think it’s better to learn from people less interested in trying to sell you something and get you through there program…I like www.skillshare.com…using stackoverflow and w3school as good resources…

I tried learning how to program from some textbooks and I also joined Codecademy and Team Treehouse. However, alone in the cafe with a latte and my other apps I was not motivated. If I am in a classroom and have spent a lot of money to learn how to program, I think I will have no choice but to apply myself.

But my question is this, if I learn to program in JS and become handy in PHP etc can I really earn enough doing freelance projects in order to support myself if I need a backup income? Or do I have to be “all in” and devote myself to programming?

the last part of that I will say honestly, I don’t know… but I think with the learning thing… to have motivation only because you paid a lot for something and needing the structure I don’t think is so good all the time… these companies like General Assembly is a very inefficient and expense way to learn I think… they spoon feed it to you in a way I think that gives you more confidence and about what you are learning… but they leave a lot of important stuff out… it really seems to me, and this is my feeling… is that they are trying to make tons of money by pushing people through courses and trying to make it as easy as they can… sell as much as they can. A company run by hipsters; not real programmers … from my research none of the founders has a technical background or knows programing or markup languages. They are great hustlers, markets and social engineers and I have to give them respect for taking over the world so quickly… but there quality
has suffered.

do not EVER use w3schools! that site is horrific! There are great online resources out there but that is not one of them. But, online learning doesn’t work for everyone.

1 Like

Clearly you have no firsthand knowledge of GA or how it works…

I was the same way. I tried to learn on my own for over a year. that kind of learning just doesn’t work for me. For some people it’s great and more power to them.

the answer is: maybe. it depends on your skill level. You don’t have to be all in but you do have to keep up with changing technologies to stay competitive, which is time consuming if it isn’t your primary thing.

honestly, no if you don’t want it to be a dev, I wouldn’t spend the money on a dev bootcamp. They’re expensive, stressful and tiring. You’ll learn a lot but you’ll still have a lot to learn when you graduate and if you don’t actively use what you learned, you’ll lose it.

Ok, it is not for me at this time. Thanks for your input.

Well I’ve spent almost $3000 on courses from GA since they started as a company…its not my thing…if it’s something right for you;well great. But my advice to people is to look at all the other options out there…GA does a good job of selling people on their overpriced courses that don’t provide value to everyone.

I’d like to see some talented developers great a nomad/ mobile web development school.

What I dislike about GA is that it was founded not by web development people but by people that know how to hustle and sell, and people that could get a lot of VC money…I lived in NYC when they first started; GA has grown so fast and is offering every type of course imaginable…and I think the quality has suffered a lot…

I should saw that w3school is even recommended by GA…it’s a resources. I like stackoverflow better…

My instructors at GA emphatically told us to never use w3schools as a resource and so has every other dev I’ve ever mentioned it to. It’s not respected, not up to date, scammy and frequently outright wrong. http://www.w3fools.com/

Your experience doesn’t mirror mine at all. One of the things I LIKE about GA is that they’re not a one trick pony like most dev bootcamp type schools. The education I got there both at WDI and through weekend courses has been top notch and I was offered a job as a dev on the day I graduated. One of the best things about them is that they are constantly changing to reflect the demands of the industry. My class had a very strong Ruby focus while the upcoming class is much more JS based because that is where the demand is.

Businesses don’t last without people who can hustle and sell. But those aren’t the people teaching the classes. My instructors had a cumulative 25+ years of development experience between them and they were great. They also aren’t just in for churn and burn and don’t accept everybody. I am friends with the admission people and we’ve had lots of conversations about the process and how many people they actually turn away or postpone for entry until they’ve got the appropriate skills to succeed. I also like that, unlike most bootcamps, they don’t get kickbacks from the employers hiring the grads. That makes them very employer neutral and just invested in getting you a job you love.

It’s unfortunate that your experience wasn’t that great but everyone I know who has attended raves about it.

What sort of skills do I need to get in? Right now I can’t program. I know HTML and most CSS (not the advanced CSS3 stuff). I can also edit a bit of JS or PHP code, but couldn’t write it.

most of my experience with them has been online… I think the in-person classes are probably much better