As a British person, do I need a Visa to stay in Bulgaria for a few months?

This year I would to work for a few months in a different location taking my partner with me. I’m calling it a working holiday. Bulgaria is the place I’m thinking of starting this “trend” I would like to do. I have read a lot of other peoples thoughts of it and I know a guy who I sort of worked with, He currently works around the world.

My question is as I am a British WordPress developer will I need a work visa or anything? All my work will be with clients back home. I’m fully booked up with projects for around 6 months - it grows each week.

Will my partner need any visa?

I have been looking at places to stay and the thought of working on a nice sunny balcony overlooking the sea really make me feel good.

Hello!

As I understand, UK citizens are not Schengen but can work and live freely without registration in other EU states, [up to 90 days][1].

And although Bulgaria is not Schengen, they now have to follow the Schengen visa-issuing rules. Bulgaria is great. Of course double check but, you should be good-to-go!

Good luck!
[1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_the_Schengen_Area

@Andrew_F_Shaker thanks buddy! I will take a few months to plan this, hoping ni the UK summer (just before).

I thought best to try it in the EU first.

Aaron

1 Like

If you are visiting Bulgaria in the summer, you will prefer some smaller city/village, since the big ones are too ‘touristy’ in the holiday season.
If you are looking for a cool city not at the sea - definitely Plovdiv.

I second Plovdiv! I am thinking I will spend my summer there. It’s a great little city!

I’ve spent a lot of time in Bulgaria. My 2¢:

• Plovdiv should be high on your list. Both the new city and the historic old town are some of the best, most underrated must-see global destinations for people like us.
  • Sofia is the 3rd or 4th highest-ranked city in the EU on the Nomad List so if you like big, busy, cosmopolitan cities, you’ll like it there.
  • The winter resort towns like Bansko and Rila are pricier this time of year, but drop dead gorgeous and still inexpensive to someone accustomed to UK prices.
  • I hear what you said about wanting to avoid the Black Sea but it’s CRAZY inexpensive in the off season (I’m biased, though — Varna is one of my favorite cities in the world).

HAVE FUN, Bulgaria is amazing!

Hi Jason,

As far as I’m aware, as a member of the EU (British citizen), you have freedom of movement across all member states (Bulgaria being one of them). Technically you should register your arrival with an embassy or council, but that’s more of a formality.

This is from wikipedia:

The free movement of persons means that EU citizens can move freely between member states to live, work, study or retire in another country. This required the lowering of administrative formalities and recognition of professional qualifications of other states.

Hope that helps and happy travels!