Best European Ski Towns?

Looking to spend around 6 weeks somewhere in Europe this winter skiing and working. Don’t need a big tech community but care more about it being affordable and having at least half decent skiing.

So far I have heard good things about Les Deux Alpes, France and Bansko, Bulgaria.

0 Likes

Been in Portes Du Soleil, Châtel last season and planning to go there again January. Huge ski resort with decent prices.

0 Likes

I don’t ski, but I am adoring our time in northern Slovenia. Kranjska Gora is a great little town and if you can get a spot on Lake Jasna, the views are stunning.

0 Likes

I’m looking for the same! planning to spend march and early april somewhere in europe to snowboard and work. Bansko looked great. Andorra is also an option, but I could not find much info here. Let me know if you find anything. I’m googling around at moment.

0 Likes

I’ll be in Bansko, Bulgaria for the month of February. There’s a cowork there and the ski hill looks amazing. Cost of living is very low in Bulgaria, quality of life for a skier or snowboarder = very high :wink: https://www.facebook.com/groups/coworkingbanskopublic/

0 Likes

I spent some 10 days in Bansko a couple of years ago and it was great. The snowboard wasn’t the best, but it was really fun. The price of living was incredibly cheap, and the food and the different culture was great. Bansko is incredibly remote though so you might feel a bit limited if that is a problem. But the village has some shops and bars in the “ski village”, which isn’t as built up as the french ones (lots of abandoned buildings, hotels that weren’t finished, etc), but you can life in an amazing place where you can ski for cheap.

0 Likes

Hi Patrick. how did you arrange a place to stay in chatel? any recommendation? I’m planning a long visit for next year. thanks

0 Likes

Our trip was arranged by our local ski club from home, we stayed in a self-service apartment and it was extremely cheap. I’m sure there’s other apartments around that you can book in advance. Also “La Perdrix Blanche” was very nice for a few days, but a bit more expensive. Been there again this year and it was great!

0 Likes

If you want a larger town/city, try Innsbruck. It’s big enough to have Airbnb which can keep costs down. You can take busses to many different ski areas. The closest ones are very small (Nordkette, Patscherkofel), but if you take a bus further (~1 hour or a bit more) you can get to bigger areas (Stubai glacier, Kühtai). I was there for 2.5 weeks this February and I’m thinking about going for longer next year.

0 Likes

So I made to Andorra and it has been great.

I got in contact with a local agent, that arranged me a studio for 1 month for 1200 eur in Pas de La Casa. It is in a walkable distance from the lifts. (less than 100 meters)

Internet at the studio is not reliable, but I arranged to use the agent’s office (that has 280mb fiber) to work.

Grandvalira is a huge resort. 210km of runs. I’ve been for a couple weeks and still finding new spots. Snow in the last days was amazing, and during the week the mountain is not busy.

No need for a car at all. You can get here from Barcelona or Toulouse by bus.

Andorra Telecom offers an ok 3g service here. 10EUR for 1GB prepaid.

local travel agent: http://www.snowevo.com

after all, besides the internet that can be tricky, everything was pretty easy and affordable. Grandvalira is not a fancy resort that is really fun. I think will come back for a longer stay.

0 Likes