Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (648K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,882) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations Interior AI Photo AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best island to work and hang in the Gulf of Thailand?

in Thailand by @lsloss 9yr  | 8 comments

Hey there! Iโ€™m planning on working and hanging in the Gulf of Thailand for about a week before heading up to Chiang Mai. Any tips/preferences between Koh Samui, Koh Tao, and Koh Phangan? Would love any and all recs!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@jorisw 9yr

I went to Koh Tao and Koh Phangan just a month ago.

Koh Tao is very small and very pretty, but pretty much focused on diving and beach side parties, plus a few (nice) hilltop view bars.

Koh Pha-ngan is much larger, meaning you need a motorbike to get around, which to me was half the fun. Ko Phangan has about a dozen different areas, with each a different atmosphere. I would recommend this island over Koh Tao as it offers a lot more choice, without the shirtless American retirees of Koh Samui walking around. Ko Phangan is very quiet when there is no Full Moon - most bars are empty and thus nightlife goers concentrate at one or two venues on the beach.

The West and North side of Phangan are quiet, ideal for couples, with separate beach resorts with coast view restaurants in between. The South East (Haad Rin) is the shady, decadent Full Moon party village that you may wanna visit if youโ€™re feeling bored or isolated at night. Pretty deserted outside of the monthly Full Moon period. Note: the road there is famous for traffic accidents most nights, including a โ€˜Hill of Tearsโ€™. I personally did not get into any accident - just drive slow.

On the South shore, Ban Tai is a central village between the shore and the main south road with a 7/11 and some coffee bars, where you could get a bungalow. The most beautiful area, but also upmarket tourist focused, is Thong Nai up in the north east. That said, all of the shores are beautiful.

The North also has a few nice and quiet villages, including a fishers village (Chaloklum) with some bars.

Perhaps you should just book a hostel or bungalow for a few days, get a bike (Kateโ€™s is an honest rental shop near the pier) and explore the island before you settle at any particular place.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How good or bad is the internet actually on Kho Phangan and/or Kho Tao. Kho Phangan seems a bit cheaper than Kho Samui and perhaps a good place to work as it comes with less distraction and better beaches. So just curious to hear what peopleโ€™s experiences have been with the wifi connection on those two islands vs. Kho Samui. Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@jorisw 8yr

Didnโ€™t get an email that you replied, so replying a half year lateโ€ฆ

I used 3G / 4G mobile internet successfully in all of Thailand. Just get one of those Tourist 3G SIM cards and put it in your phone. They sell them at every 7 Eleven.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@malaiac 9yr

I am on Koh Tao for a few days, picked mostly at random.
Pros :
desert island experience (no aircon, no hot water in most low end rooms).
Great snorkeling.
Great diving of course.
Laid back life.
Cons :
pros are pros once you forget the tourists.
not much nightlife outside of parties

On day 4 of a 9-days โ€œvacationโ€, I think next time Iโ€™ll probably will stay longer on another island, and make the trip to Koh Tao to stay 3 or 4 days.

PS : if youโ€™re planning to take the hi speed catamaran to the islands, pray you make the trip on a calm day. I took it with 1.5m of waves, and there was one long hour of deadly silence on the boat, interrupted by the glorious sounds of wastebags being filled.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@marcob 8yr

how was the internet there?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Iโ€™m here now. Most of wifi is crap but a few places have high speed. It is probably best to get a hotspot because 4G is pretty cheap here. Koh Tao is nice island though. Can get around everywhere without a scooter.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@yako 9yr

It depends what you are looking for. I can speak mostly about Koh Samui which is where I stayed the most. It is the biggest island of the 3, easy access because of the airport (you most probably have to go through it to go to the other 2). Internet access in the island was very good and accommodations too. It is a really nice island and big, so you can explore for a bit and you also have a bit of everything (shops, restaurants, hotels, hostels, bars, nightclubs, etc). On the other hand I liked more the views from the other 2 (although Koh Samui has really nice places too), and if you like diving you will probably enjoy more Koh Tao and Koh Pagnan.

Hope it helps.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@lsloss 9yr

Thanks so much, @Yako! Iโ€™m leaning towards Koh Phagnan, possibly staying on Hat Thian โ€“ since we are heading to Chiang Mai after, I figure a week of beachy seclusion (with wifi!) might be the way to go. Iโ€™ll report back!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Ko Lanta or Ko Phangan - which island is better for a digital nomad?

in Ko Lanta , Thailand by @melinda 5yr 5 years ago  | 6 comments

Iโ€™m currently in Penang, Malaysia and I was thinking to head to Thailand next. What are the best islands in Thailand to get some work done? I was considering either Ko Lanta or Ko Phangan because those both islands have coworking spaces. I might need to take some client calls, also video. Is the wifi good enough? Are there any other differences between the islands?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Co-working space in Shanghai WITHOUT monthly payment

in Shanghai , China by @katrin 5yr 5 years ago  | 0 comments

Daily/hourly pass needed.
Canโ€™t work in normal cafรฉ because having clientโ€™s laptop for security reasons, canโ€™t use open networks. Working for R&D. Also laptop is so huge it doesnโ€™t fit normal cafe environment because itโ€™s far from discreet.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there comparable companies like Iglu in Thailand?

in Thailand by @stiensf 5yr 5 years ago  | 2 comments

You can look up the Iglu company in Thailand. It is a legal way of working in Thailand with a work permit for digital nomads. Are there other companies in Thailand offering work permits for digital nomads? They charge you 30% of your salary, which is a lot. Are there other companies charging less than Iglu or have a different pricing scheme?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any nomads who practice Krav Maga in spite of constantly changing locations?

by @petar_np 7yr 7 years ago  | 3 comments

When I think about nomadic life style I often think of one disadvantage, not being able to continue to practice Krav Maga as I do now. How do you keep up with training and progress if you are constantly moving?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Which shots and visas do I need to visit Thailand?

in Thailand by @aspkin 7yr 7 years ago  | 7 comments

Iโ€™m wanting to travel to Thailand in February and Iโ€™m a little overwhelmed with travel arraignments (I have only left the US once) and what Iโ€™m going to do once Iโ€™m there.

So far Iโ€™m wanting to be in Thailand for a month. It looks like Iโ€™m going to need shots: Hepatitis A and B and typhoid. I can take care of that no worries.

I was looking into the Visa requirements, it looks like I can just arrive in Thailand and get a 30-day tourist visa?

As for housing I was thinking AirBnb. My goal while in Thailand is to work primarily. I have a project I need to wrap up and Iโ€™d like to do that in Thailand without a lot of distractions.

Now Iโ€™ve joined NomadList because it seems I can join up with others to Thailand? Looking at nomadtrips I have no idea how it worksโ€ฆ but that seems to be the place to link up with others? Or maybe Iโ€™m wrong. Iโ€™m looking at: https://nomadtrips.co/chiang-mai-thailand

Whatโ€™s the best way to communicate with this group about meet ups, etc?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where can you do cheap laundry in Shanghai?

in Shanghai , China by @levelsio 8yr 8 years ago  | 6 comments

My hotel is charging like 500RMB ($7USD) for a t-shirt, haha. So I need to find a cheap laundry place a la Thailand, here in Shanghai. Iโ€™m in the Jingโ€™an area. Anyone knows?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Do you know Yoga places in Ko Phangan, Thailand?

in Thailand by @mirkatekelova 8yr 8 years ago  | 6 comments

Hi,
Iโ€™d like to have an idea about the costs of yoga classes in Ko Phangan. Iโ€™ve checked a few yoga studios websites, but canโ€™t find much infoโ€ฆ
Whatโ€™s a drop in class price and what e.g. a month membership. Iโ€™m interested in particular in the area around Beachhub.

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the best places to work in Pai, Thailand?

in Thailand by @adrienbetweets 8yr 8 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi everyone!
Iโ€™m searching for places to work from in Pai, i.e. cafes or restaurants.

I am looking for:

• Quiet place - not full of customers nor just next to a road
  • Comfy seats
  • Regular height table - not breaking my back using my laptop
  • Open until at least until 18:30 - many places seem to close early in Pai
  • Good coffee or food would be great
  • Good WiFi is optional, I usually use my smartphone 3G hotspot

So many DN coming from Chiang Mai to escape the city life, I hope this thread will help a few of us stay in Pai a bit longer than usual :wink:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Anywhere to exchange talent/interests, find collaborators?

by @vladepap 8yr 8 years ago  | 1 comment

Hi there nomads,

Iโ€™m currently working on a project (or attempting to) but am struggling to find collaborators. I need someone with a specific talent/ability but donโ€™t know where to look.

Specifically, I would like to build an app or a device using programmed hardware (Eg: raspberry Pi)

I could use Elance or post on Facebook, but I have a very fast turnaround time and would rather contribute to this community. I 've posted via Twitter.

I was wondering if there is any kind of talent or collaboration board on here that I could post to?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What is the situation with exchange rate on ATM's in Argentina after lifting peso regulations?

in Argentina by @janjiss 8yr 8 years ago  | 5 comments

Hello folks,
I wanted to know what is the situation with exchange rate in Argentina after deregulation? Has taking out money from ATM became reasonable?
I am considering Cordoba as one of the next locations to work from, but I do not want to deal with the shady black exchange markets.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the options for mobile internet in Phuket, Thailand?

in Phuket , Thailand by @alejandrow 8yr 8 years ago  | 1 comment

Hi,

I will be traveling in Thailand from november to december and would like to know which internet option I should choose. I need to use internet for writing and research and also 1-2 skype calls a week.

I need whatโ€™s best in Krabi and Phuketโ€ฆ I already have an unlocked pocket Wi-Fi that allows both 3G and 4G, so I only need a Sim Card filled with internet. Unlimited data would be the best, but in reality I would be fine with around 10 GB if the speed is good.

So which options do I have and what are your experience?

Regards!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Do you have a travel hanger you like?

by @gnefkow 8yr 8 years ago  | 4 comments

Its been a little while since Iโ€™ve looked, but I wasnโ€™t able to find anything that had good ratings. When you do your laundry by hand, though, and there isnโ€™t always an iron around, it would be a nice thing to have. Obviously looking for something that:

• is light weight
  • folds up somehow to have a small profile
  • I have kind of broad shoulders, so wide enough for my shirts.

What have you found that is either a good travel hanger or a good way to get around needing one?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to exchange money cheaply?

by @neutron 8yr 8 years ago  | 26 comments

Just thought I would give a tip for something thats been amazingly useful for me recently.

Itโ€™s basically a pre-paid debit card, where itโ€™s free to exchange into Euro GBP and Dollar.

There are no costs to use it. You upload money into it and then it exchanges it at โ€œinter-bank ratesโ€ - the same rates as the banks get I believe.

No commisions, No costs, No discrepancies in FX rates.

I reckon I must have saved around ยฃ150 this month in various fees for things.

Another good one is transferwise - if you have to send money direct to someones bank account - there are charges but very small (like ยฃ2 to send ยฃ400)

Hope it can help a few people out there and give the banks a good duff up at the same time :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Do you hangout with backpackers, while still working remotely?

by @jtompl 8yr 8 years ago  | 14 comments

Iโ€™ve noticed that recently a lot of us tend to prefer the โ€˜slow-travelโ€™ rhythm, which is more about moving to a place for a month or two, and then living there, instead of changing your place every couple days.

However, what about those that still like the fast pace of travelling, with meeting lots of other travellers on the road? Are there any nomads here, that still like the backpackersโ€™ lifestyle? That is: you travel through a whole country by yourself; you change your place of living much more often; but you still have to work a bit digitally in the meantime?

If yes, then how do you hang out with backpackers and keep up with their pace, while still having to work remotely?

Related questions:

• How do you choose which hostel (or place, area to go to in general) to stay in as a next one?
  • How do you maximize your way of meeting other travellers and your own travelling experience (by seeing other places, people and their cultures), while still having to work remotely in the meantime?

I like both digital nomads & backpackers, but so far, barely Iโ€™ve seen any digital nomads in the backpacker places or vice-versa. Iโ€™m wondering why? In the end, it would be a clear connection of Work & Travel at the same time, two things that a lot of us propably enjoy very much at this moment.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Does anybody else change hotels everyday?

by @waylandchin 8yr 8 years ago  | 44 comments

I work at night so I have free time during the day. Every day, I would change hotels. This lets me experience a different part of town every day. At around 1pm, I would check out, then load up the hotels.com app and find the next 3-Star hotel under $40. Then Iโ€™d grab an Uber and make my way to the new hotel. And then repeat the next day until Iโ€™ve lived in every 3-Star hotel within my budget in the city. Does anybody else do this?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where to do online shopping in Thailand?

in Thailand by @adrienbetweets 8yr 8 years ago  | 6 comments

Whatโ€™s up dreamers?

Do you have any recommendation on where to do online shopping in Thailand?

I just got an external screen & accessories from Lazada.co.th: the price was good & delivery of the screen (to Koh Lanta) took only 3 daysโ€ฆ! This was way beyond my expectations.

Any other tips (& shared experience) would be appreciated.

ps. created the same conversation on the DN Thailand facebook group if you prefer participating over there https://www.facebook.com/groups/1069582656437496/permalink/1075943859134709/

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there any coworking spaces on Thailand's islands? Ideally on Ko Samui or Ko Phangan?

in Ko Samui , Thailand by @rich 8yr 8 years ago  | 9 comments

Hi to all Nomads living on Ko Samui or Ko Phangan!

Are there any good coworking spaces on the islands of Thailand? (I only found one in Ko Lanta, but nothing on the Eastern islands like Ko Samui or Ko Phangan where I would like to stay.)
If not, what are the best internet cafes to work comfortably and quietly?
How fast and how reliable is the internet connection?

Thanks so much!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Anyone looking to travel with a group of entrepreneurs through some different islands in Thailand?

in Thailand by @marcob 8yr 8 years ago  | 0 comments

Hi Guys, we are looking for our final candidates for a co-work/adventure trip through several Islands in Thailand - mid/late February. Come join us?!?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are you tax compliant? OECD auto-exchange starts today

by @nomadtax 8yr 8 years ago  | 5 comments

Some of you may be aware that the OECD agreed a while ago on a reporting standard for all itโ€™s members and partners. This standard comes into effect today in some countries.

In effect, this means that from today it will become nearly impossible to avoid declaring offshore bank accounts. I bet most nomads have at least one account in a foreign country so this will affect most of us.

This also means that tax reporting has just got a bit more complicated for many now that those foreign accounts must be declared (often in another currency). If you arenโ€™t sure about whether you are tax compliant, nowโ€™s the time to talk to your tax adviser. I offer an international tax consulting service for those who might be interested.

Hereโ€™s more details about the new standard (see page 36-37 for the list of participating countries):

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Do you know organizations that I can join to do volunteer work in Thailand?

in Thailand by @dgioulakis 8yr 8 years ago  | 7 comments

Iโ€™m expecting to make the transition to a nomadic lifestyle starting January. My first stops will be roughly three months across various areas of Thailand. Aside from my (9-5) remote work and exploring the region, Iโ€™m interested in doing some local volunteer and/or non-profit work.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of organizations which accept individuals looking to give their time and help out on the weekends? Iโ€™m going to start doing some searching but figured why not inquire here as well.

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
465ms