Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (648K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,884) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations Interior AI Photo AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best place to buy a laptop in Asia?

by @kathrynoh 8yr  | 9 comments

My laptop is having issues and Iโ€™d rather replace it before it gets too bad. Iโ€™m currently in Chiang Mai, going to Phnom Phen next week then to KL and Seoul.

My impression is that Seoul would be the best place for buying a replacement but Iโ€™m not sure what Iโ€™m basing that one.

Where in Asia am I likely to get the best bang for my buck?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@mrwhite 8yr

Yes. Donโ€™t buy anything more expensive than 3 USD in Phnom Pehn :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@mrwhite 8yr

I would by an Asus from Big C or similar and get VAT returned at the airport.

The reason Malaysia is cheap is that they donโ€™t charge VAT on computer electronics but if you leave Thailand then you get the VAT returned anyway so probably not much difference.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@kathrynoh 8yr

Thanks. Iโ€™ve left Thailand now and am in Phnom Penh. I think my current laptop will survived the month until I get to KL.

I had an Asus a while back and keep thinking it was crap because it didnโ€™t last long but the actually reason was that I spilt a glass of water on it then stupidly panicked and wrapped a cloth and wiped it down! Do not ever do that.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

haha, my asus (bought in july in US) has been a proper warhorse. Itโ€™s been dropped, left on a four post bed to be hit by a ceiling fan (big dent) and went up the Annapurna Base Camp with me on a trek and still works great. Love it (though with the multiple dents resell value is probably 0 ;))

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@kathrynoh 8yr

Iโ€™m looking for a non-Mac. Just a basic laptop that I can use for writing + recreational stuff.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

If youโ€™re happy with an Apple, just go on the site and do a price comparison. Go to bottom of homepage to change country :wink:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@grum 8yr

It all depends on the laptop youโ€™re after.

The other week I did a price comparison of Apple Macbooks in the Asia/Oceania region and found Indonesia, Singapore and Taiwan the cheapest. Korea was more expensive than the states. That Macbook was also 10% more expensive in Malaysia than the US.

That being said, this was for a specific model. Some Apple products arenโ€™t as cheap in those countries. Generally Iโ€™ve found Canada has the best Apple deals on the planet, but unfortunately that doesnโ€™t help you.

Best to just google the item youโ€™re after in the regions youโ€™re interested in.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@oriane 8yr

At the moment with the value of the ringgit KL is probably the best place. Go to Lowyat mall and I am pretty sure you can have a good deal or to Machines if you want a mac

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hi :smile:
I remember that the exchange rate in Malaysia was amazing - and you could get macbooks for less than in the USA - though I am not sure how the prizes are now :wink:

Bets,
Feli

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the best blogs by individuals who have started businesses in Southeast Asia?

in Thailand by @haiducii 4yr 4 years ago  | 0 comments

Hey everyone,

Looking for blogs by individuals who document their progress/business in South East Asia - ideally Vietnam, Cambodia or Laos - but also Thailand/Myanmar too.

Thank you,

Haiducci

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Do you have time zone issues working remotely in Asia?

by @anniestrout 6yr 6 years ago  | 1 comment

Regarding remote work in Asia/Far East, How have or could you successfully navigate the time zone and internet issue. It sounds like you really have to use a cowork space there to have adequate connection but I would be working mainly in US time zones with 12 hour difference, are there spaces open 24 hours? Is it possible to get good internet with a long term rental instead? I would need a really good connection, which itโ€™s hard to tell if exists in some places at all. Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I have a one way ticket and two laptops, is it suspicious?

by @amirrafiepour 6yr 6 years ago  | 1 comment

Has anybody traveled as a DN with a one way ticket and two laptops?

Iโ€™m going to Chile in a couple weeks and I only have a one way ticket and Iโ€™m going to Argentina after Chile. I donโ€™t know when so that is why I still have not bought my onward ticket to Argentina but I will go there before my Chilean visa expires. Iโ€™m also going to carry my work windows laptop and my personal mac with me.

Now my question is, is this enough reason for an immigration officer to get suspicious and not let me in Chile? What would you tell them if they try to give me a hard time about my one way ticket and two laptops?

Thanks for you help in advance!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is carrying around my laptop in a backpack every day safe in South America?

by @skarabox 6yr 6 years ago  | 9 comments

Hello everyone, I usually carry my laptop in my day backpack, walk around the town in my home country (Poland) and work in coffee shops / shopping centers, other quiet places I find or like.

My question is, how would carrying around my laptop on myself every day around the town work in practice in those places in terms of safety in South America.

I prefer to travel by a city communication than taxis and like to walk around too, but my concern is that I will get blatantly robbed with a gun or knife in a side street and lose my whole backpack with a laptop.

If anyone living in those cities could share their experience about how likely this situation is to occur, as obviously being white and foreign will make me stand out in the first place.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Do I need vaccinations for traveling in Asia?

by @fredrivett 7yr 7 years ago  | 6 comments

Iโ€™ve been looking to travel for a few years now, and Iโ€™m finally at the point where Iโ€™m pretty much ready to get going, hopefully next month.

That said, Iโ€™ve not planned ahead well, and it only just occurred to me about vaccinations. Iโ€™ve done a bit of research and there are vaccinations available, but Iโ€™m unsure how necessary they are.

I plan to chat to my local nurse/doctor before going, but Iโ€™m also interested to hear whether most people do vaccinate at all before heading out or not?

In terms of specifics, Iโ€™m planning to fly to Japan and then move south, likely hitting up Thailand, Bali, Vietnam etc.

Not expecting any official health advice here, more just personal experience. Any thoughts appreciated :+1:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Which laptop charger case are you carrying?

by @srg_b 7yr 7 years ago  | 1 comment

Iโ€™m looking for a case in which I can put my laptop charger, mouse, power bank and proprietary cables, and then put that case into a backpack. Any ideas? Thx!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best places for local, organic food and strong internet outside of South East Asia?

by @jmacattak 7yr 7 years ago  | 8 comments

Where can I find locally sourced, organic (or at least non-GMO) and also be able to work with strong internet?
I did a search but didnโ€™t find much info. We love Bali and the food here is amazing, we are just looking to try somewhere else out (preferably somewhere in Europe) after a long time in Asia. We also loved the Northern Rivers area in Australia and want to find similar food offerings and compare our options!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is a 4G sim device in addition to phone advisable in SE Asia?

by @anderkd 7yr 7 years ago  | 4 comments

Iโ€™m planning a visit to Chiang Mai and Bali starting in April. I have a Google Nexus which has worked flawlessly in Mexico at least. Assuming it will work just as well in CM and Bali? If I decide not to work in a coworking space, but rather Airbnb w/wifi and/or Coffee shops wifi, would a dedicated 4g sim card device be worth spening $75 USD to purchase, plus local sim, plus potential SIM hassle, or just rely on Nexus hotspot + airbnb and coffee shop Wifi?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where to easily open a personal/business account in SE Asia?

by @jakub 7yr 7 years ago  | 0 comments

Hey guysโ€ฆ Iโ€™m from a EU country but in the past 6 years I spent there just 3 weeks.

I have a bank account in Australia, since I spent there over 4 years. Now Iโ€™m mostly in Thailand or travelling around.

Because of my experiences

a) PayPal froze my account for several weeks until I was able to give them documents that are very difficult to get if Iโ€™m no longer in Australia

b) when applying for a tourist visa to Australia just to pick up rest of my stuff - itโ€™s supposed to be done within 48 hoursโ€ฆ well it took them 3 weeks just to ask me for additional details (that I already gave them with the application anyway) - I lost my tickets and bookings - of course no way to email them, call or whatever

This made me think about the fact that I have all my money in Australia. While Iโ€™m doing nothing illegal I canโ€™t risk that some โ€œofficerโ€ with a bad day decide to freeze my account to investigate whatever and Iโ€™ll be left with nothing for who knows how long. Not to mention they usually canโ€™t grasp the concept of perpetual travelling.

So my question - anyone has RECENT experience with opening a bank account in SE Asia? Either personal or business (thinking about UK LLP or US LLC)

It seems that

a) countries such Singapore has assumption that everyone and his dog is laundering moneyโ€ฆ $500 at a timeโ€ฆ

b) Thailand with lazy and incompetent staff where you ask to open non-resident bank account just to be told โ€œdonโ€™t haveโ€ โ€ฆ you point on the 3x3 metres huge board behind them listing interest for non-resident bank account - answer โ€œaaah, yes yes canโ€™t open, new rulesโ€ (even while having a Thai with me)

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Do you travel with a laptop stand?

by @danielgenser 8yr 8 years ago  | 38 comments

Now that Iโ€™ve been working for a few days without my Cinema Display (just sold it!), Iโ€™m definitely considering getting a travel stand for my 13" Macbook Pro. Do any of you travel with one? Any recommendations?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What laptop/tablet do you prefer for remote working?

by @roberthopman 8yr 8 years ago  | 29 comments

Hi,

as Iโ€™m looking into buying a new laptop/tablet, Iโ€™m wondering what everybody is using here for work and why?

Mentioning your profession or business, location, travel activities or anything related to this will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What do you do to avoid plastic bottled water in Asia?

by @nomadaccountant 8yr 8 years ago  | 18 comments

If I stay somewhere for a while I usually get hard bottled bulk water containers, but often I have to rely on cheap plastic water bottles, which isnโ€™t good from both a health and environmental perspective. Have used a drink bottle with a filter but canโ€™t say I trusted it, and it was a little annoying. Any better options in use?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

When are you using your laptop on battery?

by @jeanbog 8yr 8 years ago  | 10 comments

Hello :smile:

I am going to buy a new laptop, a lightweight one. And I am considering removing the battery as a option to remove extra weight (~350g / ~0,77lbs, I guess).
Because I used to work on my laptop at library, I am not able to image situations where there is no plug.

So, when are you using your laptop on battery ?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Can you insure a laptop if you're already traveling?

by @danielmcclure 8yr 8 years ago  | 1 comment

Can anyone recommend an insurance company that will specifically insure a laptop for a few months or more for a UK citizen whilst already abroad for over a year and without a return date?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Portable external laptop battery for MacBook Pro?

by @pezmc 8yr 8 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi all,

Iโ€™ve been doing some research on external batteries for the MacBook having seen a HyperJuice in someoneโ€™s desk shot. There was also a thread on this about a year ago: Whatโ€™s the best portable battery charger for a MacBook?

My findings so far are that itโ€™s very important which laptop you have. A MacBook โ€˜Newโ€™ (USB-C) seems to have the most options, followed by a MacBook Air which has a low power requirement, the MacBook Pro 13" which has a medium power requirement and the MacBook Pro 15" which has a very high power requirement and very limited options.

Iโ€™ve found the below, have any of you used/tried them? Do you know of any alternatives? Personally Iโ€™m looking for something that works well with the MacBook Pro 15" but share anything as others may find it useful!

• HyperJuice - comes in sizes 60/100/150/222WH - requires a modification to your MacBook charger as they canโ€™t use the patented MagSafe2 adapter.
  • BatteryBox - 60 Wh - uses a custom compatible charger that works with the Air/Pro/MacBook
  • ChugPlug - 65 Wh - MacBook Air and MacBook Pro 13" only, small battery capacity
  • Xiaomi power bank - ~80 Wh - MacBook USB-C only
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is it safe to work with your laptop from coffee shops in South/Central Amerca?

by @dhamm 8yr 8 years ago  | 11 comments

Iโ€™m considering traveling to Panama, Colombia, Ecuador or Peru in the coming month and it is important for me to be able to work from a coffee shop at an outside table. Is it normal for DNs to be working with their laptops at coffeeshops in these countries, or am I just marking myself to be mugged on the way home?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What immunizations should I get for India and South East Asia?

in India by @robetus 8yr 8 years ago  | 17 comments

Iโ€™m leaving for India in about a month and then headed to Thailand and probably Indonesia. What immunizations should I get, and which ones did you get for these areas. The CDC says Hepatitis A and Typhoid for most and long list for some travelers. Iโ€™m also considering a Malaria prevention pill. I will be in India for 10 days and Thailand and Indonesia for about a month.

Any information regarding what other nomads have or have experience with would be greatly appreciated.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you dispose of a laptop?

by @kathrynoh 8yr 8 years ago  | 4 comments

I was sure there was already a topic on this but I canโ€™t find it.

If you have to replace your laptop while travelling, how do you go about it?

Iโ€™m assuming itโ€™s best to blitz everything before throwing it out. Also, do you just bin it or is there some process (I guess that would depend on location).

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

If my laptop is stolen, what are some quick replacement options?

by @normaldude 8yr 8 years ago  | 10 comments

Hypothetical Scenario: Letโ€™s say Iโ€™m traveling, and Iโ€™m using a Windows 10 laptop to get some work done. Itโ€™s 12 midnight, and my laptop(s) and luggage are suddenly lost. Maybe I went to a restaurant/bar/club, and thieves ransacked my hotel room while I was away. Whatever the case, I still have my wallet & smartphone, and thatโ€™s about it.

At this point, I need a replacement Windows 10 laptop, that I can install programs on, and I need it ASAP, so I can meet a deadline. What are my options?

Is there some 24 hour laptop-replacement-on-demand service out there?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Does anyone know of a laptop backpack that meets British Airways' new carry-on requirements?

by @ani_goes_tweet 8yr 8 years ago  | 12 comments

BA has recently reduced the permissible dimensions for a carry-on personal item to 40 x 30 x 15 cms (i.e. 16 x 12 x 6 ins). Iโ€™ve been travelling by train since June, but Iโ€™m about to fly again and see that my wonderful laptop backpack is now oversized. Can anyone recommend a laptop backpack that fits within the new dimensions?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
706ms