Best way to look for a flat in Melbourne?

I’m movie to Melbourne Australia in mid March where I’ll be staying for at least 6 months. I have a 12 month visa but I’m not sure if I want to stay that long. I want to rent an apartment and I’m looking for some advise on how to do this from those who live or have lived there. I know of gumtree and craigslist to look, but I was also thinking about a rental agency that could find something for me. I’d like to stay right around $350 AUD per week. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey @robetus - are you looking to share a flat or get your own flat? Craigslist is still cheapest way to find accom, but also take a look at flatmates.com.au and the VIC/Melbourne Facebook groups advertising rental etc. Sometimes easier and less competitive on there. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice @stepharrow. I want my own flat, a smaller one bedroom would be fine for me. It seems that domain.com.au has much more than craigslist but I will definitely check out the facebook groups. Do you live in Melbourne?

gumtree.com.au is used way more than craigslist, I doubt most Australians have even heard of craigslist tbh.

(lived in Melbourne for 3 years and now live in Sydney)

To echo the above, GumTree is the Australian craigslist. My roommate here in Melbourne actually just asked me “is there something like GumTree in America?” for his upcoming trip.

If you want to go through a more official channel, most people use something like https://www.realestate.com.au/rent , which is a process of finding something you like, then attending an inspection, then applying, so might not be good if you want something ready on arrival.