Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (635K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,993) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations ๐Ÿก  Interior AI ๐Ÿ“ธ  Photo AI โœจ  Applicant AI ๐Ÿ’Ž  Clarity AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Can working on tourist visas be a problem?

by @fedeit 9yr  | 15 comments

From what I see, many countries donโ€™t easily issue work visas unless you have a sponsor in the country, so I wonder how legal being a โ€œworking nomadโ€ is.

I feel that working for overseas on visa-waiver programs is sort of in a gray area but I doubt that the people at the customs would easily let you in if they knew you were technically going to work in their country.

How do you handle this? Do you get a work visa for every country you visit?
What if at the port of entry they ask you โ€œwhat were you doing for three months in Country X without a visa?โ€ โ€œUhmโ€ฆ vacationโ€ฆ and Iโ€™m going to be on vacation for three more months here.โ€

Iโ€™m thinking of spending the next three months in the US and this possible questioning is worrisome.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@frnco 9yr

Pashley summed it up pretty well imho. Key is โ€œlocal employerโ€. This is what laws are about: Doing โ€œworkโ€ that should be done by people legally residing in that country.

I would like to know if anybody tried being honest though. โ€œI work remotely so I decided to work while travelling. Now Iโ€™m taking this three months to learn about your country and spend my salary here. :Dโ€ Technically this would not be illegal in most places, but yes, it is kind of a gray area, and some laws may be interpreted differently.

And if there IS a law , well, you should know about it beforehand (You need to know the laws of the places you visit, to me this is kinda obvious) and if you decided to go anyway you should have a lawyer ready to help you if/when questioned (Or even talk to one before going to check how to proceed in case they question you, what would be acceptable etc.).

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@don_lee 9yr

@Frnco They totally can deport you without the need of giving any reason so donโ€™t ever try to ask agains them like that, just be nice and answer, donโ€™t question back, give them all the info you have, and try to convince them that you come to travel only and to spend your money to contribute to their countryโ€™s economy. Donโ€™t conceal anything about your remote work, it would only give you troubles. My 2 cents.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@frnco 9yr

Eddited per @fedeit comment, just keep in mind to know the laws.

Not just for this issue, but because you can actually get into a lot of trouble if you donโ€™t, and getting arrested because you โ€œsupposedโ€ laws would be similar to your home country is one of the most stupid and easy ways to get screwed when travelling.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@pashley 9yr

Yes, it can but whether it will be in a particular case is a complicated question. For a definite answer, you need to check government web sites for the country you want to work in, talk to officials and/or talk to a lawyer there with experience in this sort of issue.

Hereโ€™s my crack at non-definitive answers:

For almost any country, if you are there on a tourist visa, then doing anything a local employer pays you for is illegal; to take a job, you need a working visa, immigrantโ€™s visa or some such. People I knew in China were caught teaching English on a tourist visa, hit with a stiff fine, deported and forbidden to come back; I do not know if the ban was permanent.

There may also be other classes of visa for things like travelling actors or musicians, or business things like providing consulting services to local companies or training their staff. Some countries (Japan, Australia, Canada, not sure who else) also have a โ€œworking holidayโ€ visa that allows young (under 35?) people to work for 6 months or a year.

Hereโ€™s an article on the Chinese rules, which I suspect are about as complex as it gets:
https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Working_in_China#Visas_and_residence_permits

Whether earning money over the net, e,g, running an online business or long-distance telecommuting, is a problem likely varies by country. Start with the gov;t web site, then figure out if you need more.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Iโ€™m spending money in their country and I am not taking a citizenโ€™s job, if anything I help to create jobs. Never had a problem. The only country that gives me grief is the UK - they ask how long iโ€™m staying, why Iโ€™m here etc and then ask for a future air ticket. Even then it is just the standard process (theyโ€™re just doing their job). In SEA I feel like the whole visa thing is just a money making racquet and they couldnโ€™t care less if I earn money online.

Iโ€™m Australian, and I hear Australia is tough, but I wouldnโ€™t know. Entered the USA twice and they didnโ€™t grill me. Been to continental Europe too many time to count and they donโ€™t even question me.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@don_lee 9yr

When youโ€™re asked โ€œFrom your passport, I see youโ€™ve been travelling continuously for 2 years, how do you get the funds for it without working?โ€, what would you answer to convince them?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Iโ€™ve yet to have someone ask me that and Iโ€™ve been traveling full time since 2008. Were I asked, I would respond that I live off of investments and passive income and that occasionally I settle down for a while and work on a project to save money so I can travel again.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Iโ€™m on vacation. Always on vacation. Donโ€™t ever hint at anything else, even just checking work emails. My last passport only had 2 spots left to stamp and I still didnโ€™t really get questioned.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Additionally, those laws were made to protect the countryโ€™s citizens, ensuring you donโ€™t under-bid locals for local jobs. You arenโ€™t taking a local job by running your business from the road, so you arenโ€™t violating the spirit of the law and many countries wonโ€™t care. You are absolutely allowed to do some business activities in other countries - attend conferences, research guidebooks, check work email. Even people on two-week vacations are likely doing things like checking email or taking calls from their bosses.

Iโ€™d say donโ€™t advertise it for those immigration officials who donโ€™t understand the purpose of these laws, but donโ€™t worry about being overly questioned either. Plenty of people take gap years, go to another country to do research or art, or burn out and need to take three months off on a tropical island.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@fedeit 9yr

That depends on the country, though. The USA for example donโ€™t specify whether you can work for local businesses or not: you just canโ€™t do any retributed work.

I think that the gap year could work, but after a while your passport will describe exactly where youโ€™ve been for the past months or years. The longer youโ€™re a nomad, the harder it is to justifyโ€ฆ unless youโ€™re really wealthy and can prove it.

I think Iโ€™ll take it as โ€œif they reject me, I can just move onto the next countryโ€ and be more relaxed :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

@fedeit

That depends on the country, though. The USA for example donโ€™t specify whether you can work for local businesses or not: you just canโ€™t do any retributed work.

This is not wholly accurate. A B1 visa or a Visa Waiver with a Business Classification does in some limited circumstances allow you to telecommute with a foreign business. So you shouldnโ€™t be getting paid from a US business and neither paid in the US.

Telecommuters: Individuals temporarily residing in the United States who will be working from home as computer programmers for foreign based companies may be eligible for B-1 visas provided they satisfy the following conditions:

The individual is employed by a company outside of the United States
No remuneration will be received from a U.S. source, other than expenses incidental to the stay
The work is in an occupation requiring a bachelorโ€™s or higher degree in the specific specialty and the individual has that level of education

However, I personally think itโ€™s best to avoid any discussion of this kind at the port of entry and just present the simplest possible case (tourist for a couple of months) to the immigration officer. No point complicating matters at any border post, ever.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@fedeit 9yr

@flyonthewall What you quoted is about the B-1 Visa (which is not a tourist visa) and has no reference to the Visa Waiver program. You got me excited there for a moment. But I agree with your last paragraph

@Frnco I would suggest to never say something like โ€œHey man, does it really matter?โ€ to someone whose job is to make it matter. Theyโ€™re literally there to check on that. Maybe youโ€™ll find some officers or countries that are more lax, but do that in the US and youโ€™ll likely be shown the door. In any case, youโ€™re likely lowering your chances rather than improving them.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@frnco 9yr

@fedeit, thanks for the feedback, Iโ€™ll be removing that bit from my earlier post.Youโ€™re right, itโ€™s better not to take any risks. I also wasnโ€™t able to convey the precise empathic tone and you obviously need to get a feel for who youโ€™re talking to too, so it could backfire too easily even under circumstances where I know it can be a good move. :smiley:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

@fedeit Most visa nationals are issued dual purpose B1/B2 (B1 - Business, B2 - Tourism) visas. So what I quoted covers that case. VWP regulations are very similar to B1/B2 but if you use VWP you should find what applies to you. Or you could get a B1/B2 :wink:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@abarron87 9yr

If the country offers you a 3 month tourist visa then itโ€™s totally normal to stay for the duration. Vacation is completely acceptable for an answer. They might grill you if youโ€™ve been to Israel or similar in your passport.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are co-working spaces a good way to meet people in a new city?

by @donaldbough 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

My fiancรฉe and I are most likely moving to NYC (maybe DC) in August, and as a technical startup co-founder I'd love to meet new people that are also into startups. Would joining a co-working space be worth the money to do this?

I work for a big tech company that has an office in NYC, but it's mainly sales so I wouldn't be able to meet others that are related to any of my 9-5 work or likely into tech.

If co-working spaces, post covid of course, aren't a good way to meet business starting people in a new city, what is?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are restaurants, cafes and malls working in Mexico City taking into account COVID situation?

in Mexico by @thateverdmitriy 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

I am planning to travel to Mexico City next weekend and stay for 7-10 days there. I wonder if cafes, stores and other places like these work? And if cafes work, do they work as usual or only for take away&delivery? Will be very thankful if someone can help here.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Video chat coworking solutions?

in Brazil by @essentiallyint 4yr 4 years ago  | 2 comments

I am new to working out of coworking spaces. My business entails a lot of video conferences. I haven't chosen a specific coworking space yet but generally, what are the potential solutions for this? I have a microphone and headphones but still fell like it may be inconsiderate to take the calls anywhere in the coworking space. For a solo person, what are some general solutions? Are there usually options to rent a private room by the hour with just enough room to set up my microphone and laptop? Sidenote: any coworking space recommendations in Florianapolis, Brazil would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best place for solo UK traveller for surf, sun & working between Oct and Dec??

in Tenerife , Spain by @leojb 4yr 4 years ago  | 0 comments

Hey Nomads, would love to know any thoughts here.

Top of the list are currently Tenerife, Lagos/Ericeira (Portugal) & Malta??

Would love to know if anyone can vouch for these at this time of year.

Beautiful beach would be the dream. Basically European Bali! I'm sure something many of us are searching for.

Thanks a million. Much love.

Leo

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you ensure that you have good WiFi for working whilst travelling e.g. in places like India?

in India by @davda1546 4yr 4 years ago  | 4 comments

We are hoping to travel later this year and we will be working remotely - how do you ensure you get good WiFi in places such as in India where the signal isn't always great? Do you have any tips on where to go/ what equipment you have to get?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any attorneys working remotely?

by @rohitsn 4yr 4 years ago  | 3 comments

Transactional Attorney with a focus on US Immigration. Burnt out doing the law firm thing. Trying to leverage skill to get on this digital nomad tip. Love the traveling experience, hostels, seeing new places, new cocktails etc etc.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How does Ireland tourist visa length and recurrence work?

in Ireland by @nrgetik 4yr 4 years ago  | 2 comments

Iโ€™m planning a stint in Ireland and Iโ€™m wondering about the 90-day tourist visa. Official information just mentions the 90-day limit without elaboration. Is it akin to Schengen where itโ€™s counted against the most recent 180-day period? Iโ€™m asking because I might like to take trips to the continent flying out of Dublin, but I donโ€™t know how I should account for the days Iโ€™m gone if I do that. Do I stop the 90-day clock for Ireland while Iโ€™m away, or should I make sure Iโ€™m gone from Ireland <= 90 days after my initial arrival date, regardless of where else I go during that interval, just to be safe? What have others done?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any nomads working on startups?

by @mattlock 4yr 4 years ago  | 33 comments

Hoping to see all the cool stuff people are working on while they live an extraordinary life.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What have been your biggest challenges working remotely in your team?

by @wanderer 4yr 4 years ago  | 2 comments

My interest in DN lifestyle started when half of our company have been taking 1 month for remote work @ Ko Samui. It was truly cool but we observed quite some communication challenges. Communication seemed just โ€œriskierโ€ when online.

What were your worst situations caused by misunderstanding while communicating online with your teammates? What do you do to avoid misunderstandings?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is it easy to renew your tourist visa for 6 months in Colombia?

in Colombia by @julien 4yr 4 years ago  | 1 comment

Hello everyone,
I will come to live in Colombia for one year.
What is the best solution with the Visa?
I thought to have a Visa for tourists for 3 months and renewal the visa for 6 months. Is that hard to renewal a tourist Visa in Colombia?
Thank you for your help.
Best,
Julien

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Co-working space in Shanghai WITHOUT monthly payment

in Shanghai , China by @katrin 5yr 5 years ago  | 0 comments

Daily/hourly pass needed.
Canโ€™t work in normal cafรฉ because having clientโ€™s laptop for security reasons, canโ€™t use open networks. Working for R&D. Also laptop is so huge it doesnโ€™t fit normal cafe environment because itโ€™s far from discreet.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the most comfortable and affordable coworking places in Amsterdam?

in Amsterdam , Netherlands by @frosay 5yr 5 years ago  | 2 comments

What are the most comfortable and affordable coworking places in Amsterdam?
I donโ€™t like noisy cafes and high prices of Spaces.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is there any good and safe coworking space with fast internet in Costa Rica?

in Costa Rica by @sven 5yr 5 years ago  | 7 comments

Everything is in the title.

Iโ€™m working on a big project so I will need fast internet (>15 mbps).
If itโ€™s close to the beach, it would be even better.

Thanks !!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the best coworking spaces in Playa del Carmen, Mexico?

in Playa del Carmen , Mexico by @simone_scarduzio 5yr 5 years ago  | 1 comment

Would you recommend โ€œWork Zoneโ€ http://www.oficinasplaya.com over Nest?
Do you have other coworking spaces there you would recommend?

And where is a good place to stay (i.e. coliving)?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Foreigner owned Coworking business in Malaysia

in Malaysia by @newyam 5yr 5 years ago  | 0 comments

Heyo folks! The idea to open up an own coworking space in Malaysia has been on my mind for quite a while and I would like to reach out on foreigners being a business owner/co working space owner in Malaysia, there are a lot of questions that would follow up but most importantly is to reach out to someone with experience.

Ideally would be someone who runs a coworking space in Malaysia, second best would be to just come in touch with a foreign business owner in Malaysia.
Cheers
Yamin

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you manage working in different time zones?

by @clusk 6yr 6 years ago  | 12 comments

For those constrained by their businessโ€™ time zone, how do you manage this?

My home office is in Los Angeles โ€“ though I could swing anything in Central/South America, Iโ€™m looking at going to Lisbon or Chiang Mai for a bit. Both of them are >=8hrs difference potentially wreaking havoc on the work + social life + sleep split. This is a common question for nomads but there doesnโ€™t seem to be a lot of posting on the site about it.

What do you guys think? Any Americans working in Asia or Europe that does it well? I could likely negotiate with my supervisor to work in Eastern standard if I was in Lisbon/Europe, which wouldnโ€™t be too much of a stretch. Noon 'til 8pm. A bit more manageable than Chiang Mai or Bali.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best cafes in Budapest for working?

in Budapest , Hungary by @dobredecatalin 6yr 6 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi there, I am planning to work remote from Budapest for about 3 weeks. I typically like to work from Starbucks so I wanted to find out which ones are the largest and better for working.

The ones that I found so far that seem a bit bigger are this ones:
goo.gl/maps/y9kFXwAc2NA2
goo.gl/maps/hUUg9ghtr8K2

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where can I go for remote working while surrounded by nature (ocean waves, mountain, etc)

by @nish 6yr 6 years ago  | 7 comments

I have this dream scenario in my head, and Iโ€™ve searched for a while without figuring out how I might best achieve it. I donโ€™t need many places, just one or two that I can go back to over and over again. I want to be working on my laptop while being surrounded by nature; for example a place right on the ocean where I can hear the waves crashing and look up and see them, then look back down and go back to work (but it would have to be very close by to achieve this feeling, not a distant sea view).

In itself this might not be so hard but my total list of requirements makes it difficult:

• Fast internet: at least 20Mbps down with ethernet connection possible.
  • Very close to emergency medical services: so not in the middle of nowhere, and ideally in/very close to a decent size town (I have some medical issues)
  • Not more than ยฃ70/night to stay
  • It doesnโ€™t have to be a residence: it can also be a coworking space that meets all these requirements, and I can stay somewhere else and work at this space

So far I thought of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria: there seem to be some flats with a nice ocean view, although Iโ€™m not sure how close to the ocean they can get. And maybe also Valencia?

Anyway, Iโ€™m not sure if anybody else has had this kind of dream as well. But I would very much appreciate any tips for places I can check out :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Coworking in Merida?

in Merida , Mexico by @jasoninbend 6yr 6 years ago  | 0 comments

Any recommendations for a coworking spot in Merida, MX? Iโ€™ll be staying in the Centro zone for most of July. Thanks in advance!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Coworking spaces in Goa (India)

in India by @adrienbetweets 6yr 6 years ago  | 2 comments

Does anyone know of any decent coworking spaces in Goa (India) ?

Looks like a very fun place to live for a few months. I havenโ€™t been there myself yet but keep hearing very good things about it.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
444ms