Welcome! We want to make a fun community and you can help by following these guidelines. These guidelines apply to all Nomad List properties.
1) Ask ONLY questions in the forum
This is not a general purpose forum, it’s a questions and answers forum. That means we only allow questions posted. If your post is not a question which helps the Nomad community, it’s removed. So stuff like meetup/products/site announcements, private ads, etc are removed. “Ask Me Anything” threads are by invitation only. And if you repeatedly post them, you’re banned. Sorry!
When starting a new forum thread, please ask ONE question, in proper grammar and capitalization. For example, instead of naming your thread “laptop insurance Europe”, name it “What’s the best laptop insurance for digital nomads in Europe?”. Otherwise, we’ll have to remove it.
Please ask max ONE question per thread, instead of “I have some questions about Istanbul”, post “What’s the best coworking space in Istanbul?” and “Where should I eat in Istanbul?”. This helps create a nice index of questions for future nomads.
When answering questions we require everyone to use proper grammar and capitalization as it keeps this site clean. If you don’t we’ll remove your post.
2) Set a profile photo
Please set a real photo as your profile pic. No logos, memes, cartoons or other pictures that aren’t your entire face.
3) Be nice
Remember that this is a public site. All content on here is publicly accessible even for non-members. That includes the forum, chat, trips and any other Nomad List sites. We will not delete any of your messages after you post them. So think before you write.
If you start fights, your account is disabled. Keep it decent!
4) Don’t be mean.
5) Don’t be sexist or racist, that means no misogyny or misandry. If you think it might offend people, it’s not for here. This is not a bastion of free speech. Start a blog if you want freedom of speech!
6) This site is about digital nomads, NOT about expats
See http://expatforum.com (not affiliated), if you want to talk expat jobs and work permits.
8) Don’t self-promote / promote products / act like brand / spam
Don’t promote products/services/startups/web site/social media unless it’s absolutely relevant in the context of the discussion that you are actively engaging in. Artificially seeding conversation to promote falls under the same category. Affiliate links, referral, discounts and competition links are considered promotional. Links are always nofollow on here, that means you won’t get your SEO juice posting it here at all. Links to competitions are promotional and therefore included.
Also, don’t register as a brand, we’ll disable your account and refund your initial sign-up fee. Please have a profile pic that shows your face. We don’t allow brands on here at any time, unless as a paid advertisement.
We also do not allow any flooding. That means multiple messages in a short/regular timeframe to grab attention, posting the same content in multiple locations (cross posting) and/or tagging multiple people in messages.
To reduce spam, links posted by newly active members may be deleted automatically. Any attempt at circumventing the auto-deletion process is not allowed. Once you regularly participate in the chat, this restriction will be lifted.
If you want to promote something, you can advertise, see https://nomadlist.com/advertise you’ll help support Nomad List
We have an exception when it’s a 100% non-profit project you’re promoting with no commercial goal now or in the future AND it’s relevant for digital nomads. Approval must be given before posting.
9) Don’t ask or give people medical advice.
If you’re depressed, find a local therapist. Strangers on the internet do not have the answer.
10) Don’t ask people to do your survey, assist your product/service or do any user research/recruitment (a la Lean Startup, “please help me build my x”)
As much as we do enjoy these posts, it’d get crowded with those very fast if we’d allow them, deteriorating the experience for users.
11) Don’t ask startup questions
This is not a startup site, this is a site about digital nomads and remote work, try http://news.ycombinator.com to talk about startups. On Slack we have a #_startup channel you can use though.
12) Don’t use affiliate links
Don’t use affiliate links in your posts when linking to products you talk about, please. This includes promo/discount codes.
13) Post relevant answers to questions. No random babbling in the forum, please.
14) Please do NOT discuss or mention (instant ban if you do)
- internet marketing
- affiliate marketing (doesn’t work anymore and is sleazy)
- lifestyle marketing
- day trading (95% of day traders LOSE money)
- dropshipping (is a scam, only works temporarily)
- info products (teaches other people to scam)
- life coaching (teaches other people to scam)
- guru-esque stuff (people who are experts don’t need to sell themselves)
- conspiracy theories, even if they come out to be true in 10 years, this is not the place for them, go discuss them at Infowars
- quackery and homeopathy (is pseudo-science)
- herbal supplements, health products
- “CHANGE YOUR LIFE AND WORK FROM A BEACH”-deceptive ebooks/courses selling a dream that does not exist and are meta in its nature, since the only reason you can be on a beach is by selling other people the dream of being on that beach (thus being a Ponzi scheme), also beaches and laptops don’t mix
- black-hat & grey-hat SEO (just make good stuff and Google will notice)
- tax evasion (that’s illegal and different from tax avoidance, which IS legal)
- sex tourism, prostitution, PUA groups
- Initial coin offerings (ICOs)
- anything illegal
- or anything else that makes the world a worse place
Making money is never an excuse to deceive people and do stuff that’s bad for the world. There’s enough fun work to do that pays and IS awesome and leaves the world better than you found it. Just be a (wo)man and stand for ethical values and not short-term profits.
Why this long list? The digital nomad scene has been littered for the last decade with scammy stuff like this. It’s not cool. It keeps a lot of people out and makes the entire scene look like absolute idiots. So this is my little way of trying to raise the level. Do good.
15) Always make your mom proud
If your mom wouldn’t agree with what you’re doing, then it’s probably bad and you should not do it. Make your mother proud every day!
16) Feedback on Nomad List
If you have feedback on any of our sites or apps, please use the feedback box at the bottom left of the site. Opening a thread here won’t work
17) I need help!
Want to change your username, update your card, cancel your membership or other account changes? Do this yourself on the Settings page at https://nomadlist.com/settings
Have bug reports or feedback? Please use the red contact box in the bottom-left on https://nomadlist.com/settings.
Contact grum in Slack for moderation issues.
18) Not following guidelines results in permabans
I don’t really have much time left to moderate this site, as I mostly like to make stuff and not moderate, so to save me time: not following these guidelines is an instant permaban, nothing personal. Your IP, email and browser combo will be blocked. If you create another account, we’ll block that again. And again. And again. And again.
By using, posting or reading on Nomad List’s forum, chat, and other websites, you agree to these legal terms. In short, that means we’re not responsible if you follow the advice on this site and get hurt, and you give us a license to use everything you write here to publish.