Do you always have an onward air ticket when entering a new country?

meh. it’s easy to just do it yourself. why pay someone else? i guess if money less of an issue than time.

United States, Canada, UK, Australia: Yes.
Everywhere else: Itinerary works fine in 90% of the cases.

Flyonward.com is a good solution though - +1 for that :slight_smile:

I like flyownward.com because it’s only a $10 risk. If you forget to return a ticket (e.g., through Expedia), or you get caught/delayed somewhere without an internet connection and pass the 24-hour deadline, you’re on the hook for the whole fare.

2 Likes

I just used onwardflights.com to “rent” a return ticket from Guatemala and it worked just fine. I flew Spirit Airlines from Denver, connected in Ft. Lauderdale, and then on to Guatemala City. The really promising thing was that the rented ticket they gave me was also from Spirit Airlines and just I provided them with the confirmation number and date of the flight, the agent punched it into her computer, and she handed me my boarding pass without asking any other questions.

I will say this, onwardflights.com looks (and feels) a little janky, but I was willing to take the risk because it’s only $5, they use PayPal so it’s pretty secure, and you can get a flight from anywhere. Right now, with flyownward.com, they only book certain destinations (200 per day) and you can only “rent” whatever they have available for that day. They do not book tickets in Central/South America. It is a much more legit operation, but onwardflights.com got the job done for me in Central America. I will use them again.

1 Like

I used both. Onwardflights.com photoshops tickets, Flyonward.com books real tickets. Onwardflights is cheaper for a reason.

Very interesting to hear of this onwardflight.com site. I have traveled to over 70 countries and usually do not bother with onward tickets. I have only been asked by immigration to show an onward ticket 1x (Thailand) but have been asked by airlines numerous times (United, Copa, etc.). Luckily the few times I have been asked I had an onward ticket.

A trick I use is to buy a cheap bus ticket where possible. Oftentimes these are refundable and I buy the shortest one I can find (so let’s say I am flying into Bangkok, I would find a bus ticket to a neighboring country). The onward ticket you need to show doesn’t need to be air… just needs to show that you are leaving the country. this puts less money at risk and again, I’ve found I’m reimbursed about 85% of the inexpensive bus fare upon reimbursement. But this onwardflight site is another option although since it photoshops actual tickets… it’s more concerning to me than a real bus ticket.

1 Like

Ditto what @grum said. Chances are you may not be asked for proof of onward travel but it’s better to be prepared. If you don’t have it and need it, it can be a pain.

it’s hard to forget when you book it then seconds later cancel it. but to each their own.

I used flyonward.com to print an onward ticket for thailand. But, no one even asked to see it :slight_smile:

Yes, but if they start checking to see if the flight is legit, then yeah, that’s a problem.

Maybe it’s because I travel on a 3rd world country passport, but I’ve been asked for my onward/return ticket a few times when clearing immigration. Better safe than sorry.

Hi guys, I decided to write an article about this topic as this topic seem to come back again and again.

GrownUpPlayground.com/proof-onward-travel-avoid

I tried to cover every possible angle but do leave me a comment if I am missing something!

Andrew wrote about onwardflights.com:

So how could this be “only” a photoshoped ticket??

I’ve heard of people using www.returnflights.net.

You look up a real flight, then use those details to produce a booking itinerary that looks like the one Expedia provides.

I encourage you to read the entire thread before posting redundant information.

Yes, I always have an onward ticket (thank god for FlyOnward!). The only place where I ever have issues is the UK. Even if I’m transiting for 24-48 hours, immigration keep requesting to see an onward ticket that takes me back to my country of residence.

I don’t always have one, it depends on the country and the airline.
Eg: leaving Indonesia to Hong Kong I had to sign a release for the airline so that it wouldn’t come back on them if I stayed.
Coming to Indonesia from Australia, it depended on the airline staff. One person made me miss my flight due to lack of proof, and the next day, no one asked me for proof (same airline).

To be safe, get it. You never know who will give you a hard time, but make sure it is refundable or can be changed with minimal hassle. Eg: I didn’t have onward travel from HK because I was applying for my mainland China visa and didn’t want to buy a ticket since I didn’t know if it would be approved. So I signed a release (which I didn’t know existed).

The world doesn’t seem to have caught up with us.

Travelled with Aviaca in Ecuador and they made me pay a ticket for Lima->La paz then forced me to buy a ticket back to France where it’s sure that I won’t be exported(+ a lot of trouble since I used Expedia).
I have been to 3 countries in SA and never overstayed, don’t know if it’s the agency/country or just the personal that wanted to annoy me.
Or simply because I haven’t been back home for a while.

I’m pretty sure that a lot of the time with things like that it’s more because some other passenger has screwed up and gotten caught. If there’s been a case of someone doing bad visa things that gets the attention of immigration and/or the airline higher-ups, the staff start cracking down on it. I’m assuming that because that’s how most big organisations work :slight_smile:

I use flyonward.com, they’re legit. Smh = people who buy tickets and then refund them! What a pain lol