Do you always have an onward air ticket when entering a new country?

Maybe it’s because I travel on a 3rd world country passport, but I’ve been asked for my onward/return ticket a few times when clearing immigration. Better safe than sorry.

Hi guys, I decided to write an article about this topic as this topic seem to come back again and again.

GrownUpPlayground.com/proof-onward-travel-avoid

I tried to cover every possible angle but do leave me a comment if I am missing something!

Andrew wrote about onwardflights.com:

So how could this be “only” a photoshoped ticket??

I’ve heard of people using www.returnflights.net.

You look up a real flight, then use those details to produce a booking itinerary that looks like the one Expedia provides.

I encourage you to read the entire thread before posting redundant information.

Yes, I always have an onward ticket (thank god for FlyOnward!). The only place where I ever have issues is the UK. Even if I’m transiting for 24-48 hours, immigration keep requesting to see an onward ticket that takes me back to my country of residence.

I don’t always have one, it depends on the country and the airline.
Eg: leaving Indonesia to Hong Kong I had to sign a release for the airline so that it wouldn’t come back on them if I stayed.
Coming to Indonesia from Australia, it depended on the airline staff. One person made me miss my flight due to lack of proof, and the next day, no one asked me for proof (same airline).

To be safe, get it. You never know who will give you a hard time, but make sure it is refundable or can be changed with minimal hassle. Eg: I didn’t have onward travel from HK because I was applying for my mainland China visa and didn’t want to buy a ticket since I didn’t know if it would be approved. So I signed a release (which I didn’t know existed).

The world doesn’t seem to have caught up with us.

Travelled with Aviaca in Ecuador and they made me pay a ticket for Lima->La paz then forced me to buy a ticket back to France where it’s sure that I won’t be exported(+ a lot of trouble since I used Expedia).
I have been to 3 countries in SA and never overstayed, don’t know if it’s the agency/country or just the personal that wanted to annoy me.
Or simply because I haven’t been back home for a while.

I’m pretty sure that a lot of the time with things like that it’s more because some other passenger has screwed up and gotten caught. If there’s been a case of someone doing bad visa things that gets the attention of immigration and/or the airline higher-ups, the staff start cracking down on it. I’m assuming that because that’s how most big organisations work :slight_smile:

I use flyonward.com, they’re legit. Smh = people who buy tickets and then refund them! What a pain lol

In the past I bought real a ticket for the flight back but the cheapest you can find, which I knew I would not use anyway, like if I travel from HK to Bali, I would buy a ticket from an airport close to Singapore (forgot the name) to Singapore for EUR 20.
There also seems to be the option of buying a (fake?) ticket from an agency in China for small money.
Also: Usually airlines and immigration where cool about a screenshot of an online booking (not a ticket actually). It might be possible that that could be a fake too. If it’s from a different airline they could not check, I guess.

I just refunded a ticket with Expedia and they told me it will take 2 months to process the transaction. That’s dependent on the airline, not Expedia, but yeah, I’ll pay 10 bucks to avoid that.

It doesn’t take 2 months if you request the refund within 24 hours. (book before you leave, cancel when you arrive)

Even in cases where I did the refund after 24 hours, it never took more than a week or two at the most.

I would never outsource the legitimacy of my ticket to an “onward ticket buying service” in case immigration decides to ever check on it. While the chance of this might be small, it is a felony in most countries to present false information to immigration.

I canceled within 24 hours. A week later I called to check the status of my refund. They said they’ve submitted it to the airline and it will likely take 8 weeks. It depends on the airline, not Expedia. And it’s not false information if you use flyonward.com. They actually buy a legitimate ticket for you and then return it. It’s technically no different than you buying a ticket with the intention of returning it.

I almost got denied boarding on my last flight to curacao from Düsseldorf. I think this might have been due to some personal issue though. An old lady asked me for an onward ticket when boarding, she didnt ask anybody else, since I didn’t have a ticket she refused me to board.

I got annoyed and went to the other side of the counter, took up my phone and started to browse tickets. After about 10 minutes another groundcrew member, told me it was okey to board. Im pretty sure that the old lady just didn’t like me and she almost screwed me big time because of it.

I’ve only had onward tickets when going to the phillipines, there seems to be no way around that.