Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (648K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,883) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations Interior AI Photo AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Do you need a roomate around Europe?

by @pau 8yr  | 2 comments

So Iโ€™m deciding where to go. Iโ€™ve been living in Sweden, now back home for a few weeks (barcelona), and thinking where to head nextโ€ฆ The thing is that the apartments are usually long term and I want to be somewhere 2-3 monthsโ€ฆ

If you need a roomate make me know :wink:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@pixelcamo 8yr

Hi. I was thinking Split, or something similar in Croatia or Greece with both sea and at least some small mountains and trails (iโ€™ll probably bring my mountain bike by train & ferry from Italy).
Renting for 1-2 month was in my mind too, because the rates of course are better but I was looking for a warmer period, like spring and early summer.
Are you planning to leave in few weeks after Barcellona?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@pau 8yr

Great. Yes in 2 weeks im leaving to Sweden, and then thinking about where to head next. Wanna rent something togetherin a warmer time? :smiley:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Has anyone created a list of co-living spaces around the world?

by @keegansard 4yr 4 years ago  | 4 comments

Iโ€™m a big believer in co-living but Iโ€™m finding hard to find all the options available in different cities.

I have found the major players like Roam, The Collective, and WeLive but havenโ€™t found many others.

Has anyone seen a list or should I start making one?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to ship bikes from US to Europe?

by @ld 4yr 4 years ago  | 3 comments

Hello,
Iโ€™m preparing to travel again to Europe, but this time I want to bring our bikes. 2 road bikes. Iโ€™ll be traveling from USA to the Milan or Rome airport.

Iโ€™d appreciate hearing your thoughts, experience and tips on traveling with a bike. I plan on being fairly stationary with our location and staying in one spot for 2-3 months, then (hopefully train) to another spot for 3 months, etc. So itโ€™s the initial international flight Iโ€™m most concerned about. But realistically, I think a regional flight will be inevitable with the bikes, too.

I know a bike box will be huge and we will have to break down the bike, thankfully our bikes are fairly light weight. Iโ€™m expecting it to be a huge painโ€ฆbut I think the reward of having a good bike to roam around with will be invaluable. Especially since we will be staying in rural areas and donโ€™t want to rent a car.

General range of cost?

Anyone bring their bike and glad they did? โ€ฆWish they didnโ€™t?.. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What festivities are happening around Bali for New Years Eve (NYE)?

by @diannamallen 5yr 5 years ago  | 1 comment

Looking for somewhere to celebrate New Years in Bali! I would prefer somewhere in Kuta or nearby, but if itโ€™s worth the travel, give me your suggestions!

Not looking to spend too much money either.

Thanks =)

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where is the best place to open a bank account in Europe?

by @julien 6yr 6 years ago  | 7 comments

Hello the community,

I am thinking about opening a business bank account in another country outside of France.
I live in Paris and I work as a freelancer. The taxes on my salary are very expensive (around 85%). I would like to know if there are better options for bank accounts within Europe.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,

J

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where to pay taxes if self employed non-resident of the UK, travelling Europe?

by @jadi4nd 6yr 6 years ago  | 5 comments

Hi, I know there are a few posts around this topic but none of them quite answer my questions.

I am British and currently a resident in the UK.
Next year I am going to become a non-resident and spend over a year traveling mostly around Europe, moving every few weeks never staying anywhere longer than a month. (My first venture into becoming a digital nomad!)

I am remote, self employed, software developer working mostly for one client based in the UK.

Where am I liable to pay taxes?
From what I have read I will not be liable to pay taxes in UK, can anyone confirm this?
If not the UK then where if I am moving every few weeks?
If possible I want to avoid starting a company as this seems unnecessarily complicated for my work setup.

Thank you in advance for any help :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is carrying around my laptop in a backpack every day safe in South America?

by @skarabox 6yr 6 years ago  | 9 comments

Hello everyone, I usually carry my laptop in my day backpack, walk around the town in my home country (Poland) and work in coffee shops / shopping centers, other quiet places I find or like.

My question is, how would carrying around my laptop on myself every day around the town work in practice in those places in terms of safety in South America.

I prefer to travel by a city communication than taxis and like to walk around too, but my concern is that I will get blatantly robbed with a gun or knife in a side street and lose my whole backpack with a laptop.

If anyone living in those cities could share their experience about how likely this situation is to occur, as obviously being white and foreign will make me stand out in the first place.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Anyone walking around the world while working?

by @michaltakac 7yr 7 years ago  | 8 comments

Hey guys,

Is there anybody who loves walking that much? Iโ€™m thinking about this for about 3 years now, and since I finished university this year, I could possibly plan for this huge trip and start sometime next year. I have no commitments, no girlfriend, some money saved and pretty strong motivation. I like to travel low cost (couchsurfing, exploring cities by walking, cooking own meals, sleep in a tent if needed).

Small background about me: Iโ€™ve been working 5+ years (and still working) as a software engineer remotely (full-stack, web, mobile, VR), trying to not spend everything and save a little here and there (plus some index funds, mutual funds and holding few cryptocurrencies). Walking is big part of my life since itโ€™s something like meditation, great time for creative thinking, research and solving problems. Usually my daily routine involves 10-20km of walking (some in the morning, some in the evening). So far longest stretch was 55km, aiming to raise it to at least 100km during next month. Also love to track everything (Fitbit Charge 2 + Gyrosco.pe).

Iโ€™m thinking if itโ€™s possible to walk around the world in 5 years while working occasionally during mornings or evenings (own web/mobile app, writing blog) and at the same time complete a PhD in Process Control (got an offer to work with great professor on an interesting thesis using augmented reality, for which I only need a smartphone, my Macbook and ability to once in a while consult with him over phone/skype).

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Celebration of New Year's eve 2017 in Europe?

by @mary_oleksiuk 7yr 7 years ago  | 1 comment

New Year 2017 is coming :slight_smile: Iโ€™m wondering where digital nomads going to celebrate it? And whats special plan do you have?
Iโ€™m still at phase of planning for New Year and cant decide a place in Europe where to go :smiley: Italy, Spain, Portugal?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Low cost + Nomad community in Europe?

by @joaoalbertofn 7yr 7 years ago  | 8 comments

Hi Guys! Iโ€™m planing to kick start my Nomad Life style in July, and Iโ€™m researching cities in Europe that can provide three things:

1. Low cost (Iโ€™m earning money in Brazilian Real, not Dollars). Especially regarding rent.
  2. Some kind of Digital Nomad community and Co-working spaces.
  3. Security. Low criminality.

All other characteristics (Weather, english speaking), are not as important as the ones above.
=D

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Anybody around Europe over the next few months?

by @paulrose 7yr 7 years ago  | 9 comments

Hi All

Soโ€ฆ a few months ago when I was in Asia, for some reason I decided that it was gonna be too hot over the summer months and I wanted to mix it up with a few months touring Europe. So I had the idea to buy and RV and drive round for a few months.

Meet Teagan :slight_smile:

Itโ€™s taken a few months going through the process of getting my license to drive the RV, because itโ€™s so large it wasnโ€™t covered on my standard driving license. Add to that, I had some solar panels fitted for unlimited power, and a massive satellite dish for internet wherever I go.

Iโ€™ve now got my ferry booked out of the UK for September 11th and at the moment have no plans past the first few weeks.

Has anyone on here done anything similar before? Any places recommended, or anyone around Europe over the next few months?

Iโ€™m doing about 3 months worth before heading to Vegas for NYE and around the states for a few months after that before back to Asia for a bit.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to get around blocked credit card transactions?

by @nomadaccountant 7yr 7 years ago  | 15 comments

it seems like Visa have gotten more tight recently and itโ€™s touch and go whether each transaction will go through. Sometimes it does but often now I am getting declined. The bank knows my locations but in the background Visa seem to be blocking a lot regardless and they are harder to notify. I am using paypal where possible because it doesnโ€™t get blocked, but thatโ€™s only good for a limited number of places.
Anyone else getting worn out by the payment approval games?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the ideal digital nomad places in Europe?

by @mrwhite 7yr 7 years ago  | 22 comments

Hello.

I am looking for doing about one month of solid work; I have previously worked out of Chiang Mai and I am looking for something simlar:

• Good coworking place
  • Cheap rent
  • Good food

But in ideally in Europe.

In other words: What are good digital nomading places in Europe? In particular something that is not too dark and cold this of time year.

โ€“ Christian

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Search/review site for Co-Working spaces around the world?

by @gnefkow 7yr 7 years ago  | 7 comments

Hostelworld for hostels,
Nomadlist for general locations,
Yelp for food (among other things)
Trip Advisor for activitiesโ€ฆ

Is there a website where a community of people can rate and review co-working spaces around the world? Iโ€™m in a nice place right now, and about to start on toward the next destination, Iโ€™d love to review the coworking space Iโ€™m currently sitting in and start planning for the next stop.

I know that there are some threads around here about it, but Iโ€™d love to search โ€œTaipeiโ€ and see a list of them with reviews from actual nomads (rather than the hap-hazard websites the coworking spaces make about themselves).

• kyle
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What is the best voice service in Europe?

by @que 8yr 8 years ago  | 6 comments

Hello, what is the best voice service to use in Europe? I plan to move around to different to countries. Iโ€™m wondering what people are doing?

I was thinking of using Appleโ€™s Sim for data, but that doesnโ€™t include voice.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where should I set up a home base in Europe?

by @tylertringas 8yr 8 years ago  | 22 comments

Hi folks,
Iโ€™ve been nomading for about 2 years straight and Iโ€™m looking to switch it up a little bit. This year Iโ€™d like to set up a home base somewhere while still being able to travel around 50% of the time. I thought I would just put my current thinking here to to see if anybody had advice or input on it.

First, why have a base at all? For me it boils down to three reasons:

1. Gear. Rock climbing, skiing, diving, trekking (and if youโ€™re me, cooking) require specialized gear. I have some of that stuff in storage in the US and Iโ€™m tired of over-paying to rent sub-par equipment. Looking for a spot to store my gear and easily swap it out as needed based on seasons.
  2. A comfortable default spot for work. Sometimes you just want to sit in one spot for a month or more and just crank on a project. I want a great setup that I know I can default back to when I really just need to focus on work.
  3. Community. Nomading is great and this community is excellent. But Iโ€™d like to have my cake and eat it too, being part of a local and nomad community.

So Iโ€™m looking at Barcelona, Berlin and Budapest. No I donโ€™t have a weird thing about cities that start with โ€œBโ€ - it just worked out that way.

Iโ€™m likely looking for a 1 bedroom apartment in the city center (i.e. Gracia, Mitte, District VII). It needs to be either (1) cheap enough that I wouldnโ€™t feel awful about traveling while still paying rent, maybe max EUR 800-900/mo (2) Or, easily Airbnbโ€™able if Iโ€™m gone for a while. Also looking for โ€œforeigner-friendlyโ€ setup without an extensive bureaucratic leasing process.

So my questions:

1. What are the sites/processes for finding long-term apartments in these cities?
  2. Anybody seen any interesting other solutions to this? Like dedicated nomad housing? Sweet group housing around this idea?
  3. Anybody already have a setup like this that theyโ€™d care to share?

Also if anybody loves this idea and wants to chat about finding a bigger place together Iโ€™m open to the idea.

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the best AirBnB houses you've been in Europe?

by @carlien 8yr 8 years ago  | 4 comments

At the moment Iโ€™m scouting AirBnB for a good place to stay for september. Which houses have you been & can you recommend? Iโ€™m looking at all kinds of locations.

Thanks in advance!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Quality of remote connections (RDP, TeamViewer etc.) from SE Asia to Europe?

by @djar 8yr 8 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi,
this is David from germany.

I am planning to stay in SE Asia in Q4 2015 while continue working. My work is location independent, but i would need to access customer sites in germany via remote connection. Has anyone done this bevor?
When i was in Thailand for holiday, voip telephony like skype, google talk etc. was working fine, but i did not test any remote access. It was a holiday. :smile:

I know that for web guys, this is not a problem, because SSH and git are not so much time critical like a โ€œliveโ€ desktop session. I know that there will be more lag, as ping times Asia -> Europe will be more like 500ms rather than the < 100ms what working in close proximity to the customer.

I might start at Bangkok or Chiang Mai, so any first hand reports from there would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
David

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there towns similar to Boulder or Portland in Europe?

in Portland , United States by @j0hnlucas 8yr 8 years ago  | 17 comments

Small towns with:

1. beautiful nature (mountains or sea)
  2. progressive (clean energy, digital, social justice, etc)
  3. laid back attitude
  4. affordable
  5. good startup community
    It seems to me that if 2 and 5 then itโ€™s hard to have 1 and 3. e.g. Berlin for startups is too big, not great nature, a bit too cold. Am I asking too much? :smile:
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best digital nomad communities in Europe?

by @geo_care 8yr 8 years ago  | 10 comments

Hello nomads,

For those of you with a bit of experience, could you fill in a top 5 of the strongest (paid programs excluded), digital nomad communities around Europe?

Thanks in advance!

Geo

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How have you dealt with bereavement when you are halfway around the world and can not make it home?

by @iamjamesrodgers 8yr 8 years ago  | 5 comments

I really wish I didnโ€™t have to ask this, itโ€™s such a sensitive topic to many but unfortunately Death is inevitable in our lives as we grow -

My Girlfriend and I are currently upon our first lengthy nomadic travels, and a beloved friend has had her Mother tragically and rather quickly pass away.

My Girlfriend is really struggling and feeling suffocated by the distance.

What is the best techniques to be a supportive person to a beloved friend whoโ€™s parent has just passed away while you are on the other side of the world? Or the passing of someone in general? So far weโ€™ve sent an arrangement and wrote a letter to convey our empathy for the friend and Her family -

We both just want our support to be felt and to be enough to make up for not being physically there, it would break my heart for us to be seen as non supportive in this tough time.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
436ms