Does international health insurance for digital nomads exist?

IMG Global is another option. You have to be out of the U.S. (or home country) for 6 months, but it’s full medical coverage locally and abroad, including emergency medical evacuation and very affordable.

Hello Nomads,
I’ve been preparing for my world trip for a while & I extensively investigated this question.
Short answer is: yes, an international health insurance for digital nomads does exist.
Can you be of any nationality? yes, but not all insurances will be able to cover you.
Can you be of any residency (I know it’s a super awkward one since you’re a nomad)? yes, just put the last place where you actually lived, know that this is the country where you will be repatriated for long term treatment if needed, so do put a country with a decent healthcare system.
I wrote much much more about this on http://travel.stackexchange.com/questions/776/long-term-travel-what-insurances-can-should-i-get/46751#46751
See you on the road :wink:

2 Likes

Just seeing this thread.

I’m with AXA PPP International myself. I had a rather specific case and looked at a great many options.

I’m Bermudian and Bermuda has no public health care (for me at least). A great many of the insurance plans I looked at relied on you having home coverage in your country of residence (someone else defined it as the difference between travel insurance and health insurance). They basically cover you for immediate care and then repatriate you back home. This works ok if you’re resident somewhere that has public health care (or you have resident insurance) but doesn’t work so well if you don’t.

Another key thing I looked at was ongoing coverage like physio as well as sports coverage. I like to kiteboard and wakeboard. This was also something that narrowed down the list as many covered you initially but didn’t have ongoing coverage and care.

So I needed global coverage (there was a cheaper ex-US option which I went with) that doesn’t rely on me already having some form of health care and when I looked into the small print, AXA was one of the few. The overall policy covers up to $2.4 million USD each year and costs me about $2500 a year (a far cry from the $5000 and $7500 I was quoted by Bermudian insurance companies).

They also have a network of hospitals that apparently if you call in for pre-approval or get routed there and they’ll prepay your bills so no claims. I haven’t had to make any claims yet so I have no idea how reliable this is.

1 Like

Thanks Denis for your input.
$2500 a year! That’s expensive!
You could easily pay less than half of that!
Look at the few insurances I pointed to in my answer on http://travel.stackexchange.com/questions/776/long-term-travel-what-insurances-can-should-i-get/46751#46751

Thanks Adrien, I’ll take a look. I’ve had it for a few years now. In comparison to what I was quoted by Bermuda based companies it seemed a lot more reasonable. It was also what one of the Bermuda companies used to underwrite its global (ex-Bermuda) coverage which gave me a bit more confidence to go with them as Bermuda can tend to be an obscure case to deal with.

Of note, I forgot to mention that I originally used Brokerfish.com as an excellent comparison site which gave a great overview of pricing, benefits and options of various plans. Price varies alot based upon what you’re keen on (basics with high deductable or more comprehensive, dental and no deductable)

Denis, Adrien, and everyone else, I appreciate this discussion! I know a lot more about travel insurance now thanks to you guys.

I’m Venezuelan and I’ll be working from Berlin for 6 months as my first official nomad experience. I’ve checked out several travel health insurance companies and I thought you might find my quotes helpful for reference. The prices are in USD. The plans listed below offer global coverage excluding the USA, and all of them have a $250 deductible and $50,000 coverage to make the comparison easier.

IMG Global: $275 for 6 months.
Allianz Worldwide Care: $1,450 for 1 year.
Seven Corners - Liaison Majestic: $190 for 6 months.
HCC Atlas: $160 for 6 months.

After Denis’s comments, I’m a bit hesitant as to which company to choose. None of them really asked me if I have primary coverage in my home country (which I don’t), so what could be justifying an order of magnitude increase for the Allianz coverage? Are the other providers’ prices too good to be true? What could the catch be?

Hi Alemacgo,

It is important to read through the policy information and confirm what kind of coverage it is.

Travel coverage works well enough to take care of anything major. It works on the premise that they stabilize you enough to send you back home, and then it’s your home insurance’s problem to manage your full recovery. If you’re willing to risk it, the premiums are a lot lower. Though also weigh that against what your risks likely are as you’ll be the one footing the bill in the end if you need year round coverage.

Proper health care coverage you could find but you have to be diligent in reading through the actual policy details. Don’t rely on the broker to clarify things for you.

1 Like

Sounds rather like Ponzi scheme.

@alemacgo : make sure you read the whole “terms and conditions” of the policies offered, as this is what will be used for/against you when you file a claim. I assume that the price differences do come with significant differences in services.

Did you look at TrueTraveller.com or Clements.com too ?

@AdrienBe, thanks for the pointers!
Apparently, TrueTraveller.com requires me to be a permanent resident of an EU/EEA country, which makes me think I’d need to be insured by a local social security system belonging to one of those countries. At the moment, I’m not a permanent resident in Europe (although I could become one).

Clements.com did give me a quote, but it’s around the $750 ballpark for a $250 deductible and similar coverage as the ones I mentioned earlier, so I keep wondering: what’s the catch with Seven Corners and HCC Atlas? Why are they able to charge less than $200?

A good trick is to get your dive master with Padi. With your annual fee you get a great insurance coverage for about 200USD a year and you don’t need to work as a DM.

SSI does it too for freediving.

@seel but this insurance is for diving, or is it for some other activities too? Source/link appreciated

Would also love to know more about HCC Atlas. I’ve been using them for years as my go to travel insurance but have never made a claim. I have no idea if it’ll hold up :open_mouth: Any experiences?

How do you like IMG Global? How did your claim go?

Still waiting. So not impressed with their speed.

After having done a fair share of research I’ve gone with Clements world coverage (health insurance, not travel insurance); seemed like they have reasonable pricing / relatively low amount of horror stories. Also includes US coverage, which is a must for me.

Costs about $2k a year, but should cover almost anything.

Did you experience this first hand or read about it?

I just read T&C carefully.

So many options, so if I take a cheap insurance like HCC Atlas, the cost will be lower and the coverage too.
I really suck at this :stuck_out_tongue: .
200k for coverage is that good? I mean if I go for a 1M coverage, I think they can give me a robotic arm for that price no?
Does anybody already had a bad experience with an insurance?
I feel like I’m getting influenced by the limiting belief that cheap equals low quality . Except that here I’m not buying toilet paper :s.

Bumping this given we’re in open enrollment. I’m back in US until February so am looking at getting a low deductible ppo to knock out some doctor’s visits/test whatever and then hopefully transition to Cigna while overseas the rest of the year.

Has anyone just let their US-based plan lapse without paying? That’s basically what the Anthem rep recommend I do once I was no longer in the country if I didn’t want the policy anymore (you cant’ outright “cancel” but they will drop you if you don’t pay obviously.)