Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (625K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,924) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations ๐Ÿก  Interior AI ๐Ÿ“ธ  Photo AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Have any of you left a pet behind?

by @danielgenser 9yr  | 25 comments

Tough question to ask. Have any of you had to leave a pet behind? My wife and I have a cat that weโ€™ve had probably for 7 years now. We donโ€™t have anyone we can just leave her with. Weโ€™ve thought about finding someone to adopt her in the past, but now with our DN plans, weโ€™ve put her up for adoption through our local rescue organization. Iโ€™ve been fearing what will happen if no one adopts her. Have any of you been in a similar situation?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I re-homed my cat several years ago, when I was first planning to travel. The new owner was lovely and the new home sounded great - but some aspects werenโ€™t as advertised - another cat moved in, there was a possibility for the family to sell the house and go their separate ways, and he ran away in the first few weeks and they only found him again by accident.

Iโ€™ll always feel guilty about letting him down and will never forget that look on his face when he knew he was being kicked out.

So, be very sure that you are definitely moving, and if you arenโ€™t prepared to cover the cost/trauma of bringing you pet with you, then do organise some sort of trial period with the new potential owners so that everyone is happy that it is a good fit.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I travel with my little dog. It is not easy, but I couldnโ€™t do otherwise. While she lives, she will travel with me and I only go where I can carry her. Except, if it is for a month or less; more than this period I canโ€™t stay far from her. If somebody wants to follow us, this is our page โ€œGiros da Cacauโ€ on Facebook.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Iโ€™ve had my cat since I was 16 and then at the age of 22 I moved out of the family home, went to live in the UK. She stayed with my mum, but she didnโ€™t care either way. Iโ€™d visit 1-2 times a year.
She wasnโ€™t really an โ€˜attachedโ€™ cat, she slept with us if she wanted, meowed when she wanted something, headbutted us when she wanted. A typical cat. We served our purpose I guess :smiley: She would get a little bit upset with us if we left her alone for a longer period of time, like couple of days (weโ€™d always arrange for a friend to come and give her food/water/clean the litter box), but other than that she didnโ€™t show she missed us.

Itโ€™s a different story with dogs, though!

My 4th year in London my mum told me some lumps appeared on my catโ€™s back. After the visit to the vet, she was diagnosed with cancer. She had a surgery and I was very upset not to be there with her, but she had my mum. Some time after the surgery I went back home and when the lumps grew again and she had another surgery I was there. When the vet told us the cancer will come back again and there wonโ€™t be anything he could do, I decided to stay, until she โ€˜leavesโ€™. I gave her medication, changed the dressings on her woundโ€ฆAnd I was there to say the final goodbye. I stayed home for that year and half not wanting to go anywhere and wouldnโ€™t change it.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I wonโ€™t try to leave my pet behind me. I had a dog before and when I go out for 1 months, I set him on my aunt home.My aunt took good care of he but my dog may thought that I left him behind me and unhappy ereryday then he got ill. When I came back home,I never have the chance to see he again.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Aww, I left my Labradoodle Charlotte and my cat Felicity in Santa Monica with my parents. I miss them. Good thing thereโ€™s Skype. :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I just left my two rescue dogs, Lucy and Zed, three days ago.

Zed, left | Lucy, right.

I adopted them with my ex but due to circumstances (him having a good reliable job and me wanting to travel), heโ€™s the better fur parent to look after them at the moment. He loves them as much as I do, so I know theyโ€™ll live a fantastic life. Heโ€™ll let them sleep on the bed, terrorise the dog walker, go to doggy daycare and run around at the lakes/beach at the weekend.

Thereโ€™s still the possibility that I can have them if I decide to settle down at any point but Iโ€™d rather not fly them too frequently - Lucy gets motion sickness as badly as I do.

Itโ€™s been tough, Iโ€™ve cried more than Iโ€™d admit to. The ex has been a good sport by sending me photos every time I ask.

I doubt Iโ€™d have decided to become nomadic if he wasnโ€™t happy to take sole custody. If the circumstances were different, Iโ€™d sate my need to travel by remaining an expat and move around much more slowly 6-12 months. For me, the responsibility of adopting an animal would come first. Mainly because they rely on you. I couldnโ€™t give mine back up for adoption.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

It sounds like we were going through similar things over the past couple days: http://danielgenser.com/home/saying-goodbye-to-family

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Glad you found someone. Maddy already looks at home - only the way cats do. :wink:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

@travelrawr Did you leave (and break up with) a SO to become a nomad?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I left my little dog with friends last summer. I had a rough couple years of trying to bring her with me places and leaving her with different friends/ sitters when I couldnโ€™t. Finally I realized weโ€™d both be happier if she was with my friends. I do miss her but it wasnโ€™t feasible to bring her with me on the road.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@quinnzeda 9yr

I left my 2 dogs behind at my parents when I initially left on my nomad adventure 4 years ago. I missed them terribly. One adjusted well, the other did not. Around a year ago I was going to be nearby and a flight was cheap so I went to pick one of them up to go on vacation with us for 6 months in Mexicoโ€ฆ When the 6 months was up, I couldnโ€™t bring her back so now she travels with us. Sheโ€™s small, but itโ€™s still a huge pain in the ass to travel with a dog. Sheโ€™s so much happier to be back with me and loves the road. So I guess I have to deal with the extra logistics and cost.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@xcdogs 9yr

Over 90 million people travel the USA with pets each year, and that is why I started xcDOGS nationally. If anyone is looking to find a host for a longer time, say a year or more, let me know and I may be able to reach out to some of our members in your state to help you out (in the US).

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Left my Great Dane behind! Was great to go home and see him in October though.

Didnโ€™t really care about seeing any family, just the dog! lol

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I got great news tonight. A friend has volunteered to adopt our cat! Woohoo!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

@DanielGenser thatโ€™s excellent news! congrats!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

@DanielGenser I was in the same position. It was definitely the hardest part of getting rid of everything. We had a few options that were supposed to work out and then fell through at the last minute.

I used every method possible: created a website, used twitter, fb, posted flyers, etc. I even advertised using Google Adwords. I eventually found a good enough home for my kitty, but I still feel bad about it.

I know how hard it is and I feel for you. Try to think of any creative ways to get the word out: reach out to people in your area that love animals and have big followings on social media and ask them to help spread the word. Put fliers up at the coffee shop, etc.

Itโ€™s really tough and I donโ€™t have any solid answers, but do know that others have been there. Good luck!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

My gf has a small dog and this somewhat limits travelling. Do any of you guys have a dog/pet or know someone who is travelling with one?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Yep - I travel with my small dog. Weโ€™re currently in her 16th country, Colombia. :slight_smile:

All the deets are here if youโ€™re interested: gigigriffis.com

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

[quote=โ€œJulia_Nunes, post:22, topic:633โ€]
more
[/quote]I travel with my little dog. It is not easy, but I couldnโ€™t do otherwise. While she lives, she will travel with me and I only go where I can carry her. Except, if it is for a month or less; more than this period I canโ€™t stay far from her. If somebody wants to follow us, this is our page โ€œGiros da Cacauโ€ on Facebook.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Iโ€™ve been traveling with my little dog as well, but so far only to Mexico. Itโ€™s really easy to move a dog (especially one this small) between the US and Mexico. I donโ€™t have any plans to go somewhere else long term yet, but weโ€™ll see - cross that bridge when I come to it.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@cee 9yr

I have been known to leave our 2 cats with various relatives in various countries until weโ€™re settled enough in the next country to feel comfortable enough to import them. Our eldest cat is sick of being stuck with rabies vaccines and shoved into planes, so heโ€™s staying behind with a family member that he likes better than me. It all works out somehow.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@skatkov 9yr

Iโ€™m a big pet lover and i donโ€™t really catch idea of โ€˜owning a petโ€™. :smile:
I love reptiles, they are most wonderful creatures on earth. I always dreamed of having one, but my mother always refused to have one saying โ€˜youโ€™ll be living outside with himโ€™ and later my girlfriend refused to have one with popular excuse โ€œitโ€™s me or him - pickโ€.

So after i broke up with a girlfriend i immediately went and got this guy and named him โ€œAfonjaโ€:

Actually my mother felt in love with him, but before going away i left it with my good friend. The animal is doing great, iโ€™m checking out on it.

But while traveling i was crossing a temple and some woman approached me and told me i should take rabbit for take care. She didnโ€™t wanted any money, but i gave her 100 baht (because itโ€™s normal in my country). It was a special rabbit it was not used for eating, because it was really small (even for his age). So, i decided to help him grow in safe environment and then move it to www.workingretreat.com so it can run around freely. Rabbit had a great personality - she loved all people, it runs to people once she sees them and stays near by all the time.

But then i left for a nomad Christmas to Koh Phangan and left it at a retreat. Some nasty cat killed it. :\

Iโ€™m still feel a little bit down because of it, i was hoping to give a rabbit a chance and free life (or in a bigger cage if you may say so), but failed to provide proper safety while she was young. :\

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I left my dog Hulk with my parents. I miss him everyday.

Dont you have a friend or family who can adopt her?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@magalhini 9yr

Pets are such a big responsibility precisely because of moments like theseโ€ฆ sorry that you had to leave Hulk behind, but Iโ€™m sure heโ€™s in good hands!

I had to do the same, almost 2 years ago. I had a cat, Mia, who was picked up from the streets, and I had to leave her with my parents as well when I moved from Portugal to the UKโ€ฆ I still see her when I go back and sheโ€™s happy asโ€ฆ well, a cat :smile:

It still sucks though, leaving pets behind.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Long story which ends in no, unfortunately. At least none that I know of yet.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What features would you like to see on Nomad List?

by @levelsio 3yr 3 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi everyone,

I would love to hear what you'd like me to build next on Nomad List, or any other product/feature feedback ideas you have.

It's been 6+ years now but I'm in this for the long term and with the boost remote work got last year it's even more exciting to work on Nomad List than ever.

Current roadmap is here: twitter.com/levelsio/status/1363204985488572417?s=20 and pbs.twimg.com/media/EusS9PKXEAUR8xp?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

The next products/features I have planned:

- ๐Ÿ›‚ Rebase: visa, residency and immigration services for remote workers

- ๐ŸŽ“Courses: learn the steps how to go remote and travel/relocate

- ๐Ÿ› Gov liaison: diplomacy services to the governments to help us lobby for nomads and for them to attract remote workers

Thanks a lot!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the best places right now in the Caribbean/LatAM? (Also cheapest flights/accommodation?)

by @orangutan3 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

What are the best places right now in the Caribbean/LatAM? (Also cheapest flights/accommodation?) Asking from the US.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

List of Visa/Residency Information in Table/Spreadsheet format?

by @innovatelife 3yr 3 years ago  | 2 comments

As part of signing up for this website I was hoping I would come across a list of Visa and/or Residency requirements by country ideally in a table format to assist with decision making. Does anybody recommend any other websites that might present the information in this format (or Google Spreadsheet)?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Most Walkable Neighborhood / City In The World ?

by @dannybooboo 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

I love living in walkable areas of town. I can always find them. But now I'm wondering where in the world are the most walkable places? I'm imagining walk streets (no cars), zoning allowing both business and residential, parks or beaches ,etc.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any nomads in Arizona, US?

in Netherlands by @info132 3yr 3 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi guys,

After the Netherlands, the Bay Area, Colorado and being on the van life for 8 months, I am now in Sedona, AZ with a few other digital nomads. We are sharing a home here and are wondering if there are more like minded people in the area.

We do a bunch of hikes and campouts in the northern of Arizona. If you would like to connect with us, please do so :)

Val

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

International number & internet?

by @leobassam 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

Has anyone figured out a way to get setup with a virtual number and internet connection anywhere you go?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there any tax issues I have to be aware of?

in Germany by @clara 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Hi everybody. I live and work in Germany and want to go to Canary Islands for 6 months to work from there. I'm going to keep my current job, just change the "home" in the home office part of things. Are there any tax issues I have to be aware of? I was reading about becoming a residence after 183 days, thus having to pay taxes there plus my employer having to register there. Does anybody know how it works exactly? Thanks a lot!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Chiang Mai accommodation

in Chiang Mai , Thailand by @bertieb 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Can anyone recommend a good accommodation website for Chiang Mai?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is anyone travelling right now?

by @viktor 3yr 3 years ago  | 3 comments

Winter is coming and Iโ€™m feeling the ache of travelling after being stuck in the same place since the Pandemic started. Wondering if anyone is travelling right now? If so, where are you currently located and how is the situation where you are?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do taxes work for perpetual travelers?

by @whirledover 7yr 7 years ago  | 5 comments

Hereโ€™s a question (actually a bunch of related questions) thatโ€™s been a bit of a thorn in my side lately. Iโ€™ve already combed this forum as well as several others but would love some more insight from more knowledgable people.

So, here goesโ€ฆ

Background: Iโ€™m a perpetual traveler and havenโ€™t stayed in a single country longer than 6 months for around 5 years now. Iโ€™m a non-US person so no IRS worries but my country of citizenship (Korea) has a residential tax system and since I havenโ€™t claimed residency anywhere else, it seems possible for my government to claim me as a tax citizen.

Which brings me to my first question: At what point does forming a solid business structure to cover your taxable a** become worth the hassle? $100K/year? At $200K/year? I sort of feel like most governments wouldnโ€™t bother with this because itโ€™s relatively โ€œsmall fishโ€ - thoughts?

And that brings me to another question: If Iโ€™m not needlessly spending time worrying and I should finally pull the trigger and set something up that makes me more โ€œlegitโ€ - even if it requires paperwork - whatโ€™s my best option? Hereโ€™s what Iโ€™ve come up with:

Set up an offshore company - Iโ€™m leaning toward RAK Offshore since it seems to have no paperwork requirements and has no taxes - and use that to hold and re-invest the income I receive while paying myself a nominal amount every month, like $3,000, which I then file Korean (income) taxes for. This makes sense in my head since thatโ€™s roughly the amount I spend every month anyway but would this qualify as tax evasion?

Last question: for all of you who are perpetual travelers and arenโ€™t filing tax returns with your country of citizenship/last tax residency - what are you doing in terms of investing the money youโ€™ve saved? From what Iโ€™ve read, banks will report accounts that hold over a certain amount to the country of the account holder and online brokerage accounts seem to be the same.
Oh, and is the money accrued (without being reported tax-wise) considered black money?!

Okay, Iโ€™m done for now. Apologies for writing a book - Iโ€™m not so learned on this topic. Would appreciate any insights. Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I'm Pete R., Running 2 startups, 2 blogs, freelancing, and creating travel videos, all on the road. AMA

by @peachananr 9yr 9 years ago  | 14 comments

Hey everyone,

Iโ€™m Pete Rojwongsuriya, a UI/UX specialized entrepreneur, currently running 2 startups, Travelistly and BucketListly, and working on clientโ€™s work at The Pete Design all from the road.

Iโ€™ve been traveling solo for a year and a half now and I often express my opinion about travel over at BucketListly Blog. I am also an amateur photographer (Photo Blog) and love creating travel videos. I recently came back from New Zealand and you can watch what I have experienced there on Vimeo.

AMA.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
443ms