Have you given up nomadism and settled down?

Hi,

I’m about to start my nomad journey - a valiant quest to find somewhere new to live permanently - and was wondering if anyone else has given up nomading and settled down somewhere? If so, where and why? How long did it take you to find the perfect place to call home?

Cheers,

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Congratz on starting your nomad journey!

The short answer is yes. There’s a ton of people who end up settling down one place or end up circling around the same places. I don’t think that should discourage anyone from traveling.

There can be a lot of reasons why people end up settling down – some people get tired of traveling, some people find a city they really like, some fall in love, some get a new job or something else. There’s also a fair lot of people who have a home base but then travel 3-6 months out of the year.

Personally I’m in the latter camp. I was traveling, met a girl, moved in with her, broke up and moved back to Denmark. In the meantime I was still working remotely and I was still traveling, just not full time.

At the end of the day nomad’ing is a mindset. For some people it means crashing on friends couches and moving to a new place every week, for other people it’s about chasing the sun and living in places for a longer time, for yet other people they have found a way to make it their job to travel (like travel bloggers, journalists, people who go to conferences, etc). The common thread is a belief that there can be placer better than where you are and you should go explore them and that location is negotiable.

/Magnus

Nomading until you find the right place is probably akin to knowing when you find the right mate. For the latter, you increase your chances by hanging with people who share similar values. Likewise, travel to places that have at least some of the attributes that comprise your perfect location. In both cases, enjoy the journey.