Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (635K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,993) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations ๐Ÿก  Interior AI ๐Ÿ“ธ  Photo AI โœจ  Applicant AI ๐Ÿ’Ž  Clarity AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hi! We're DuckDuckGo, the anonymous search engine and we're a distributed team. AUA

by @brianstoner 9yr  | 16 comments

Hey everyone,

Thanks for having us! Weโ€™re DuckDuckGo, the anonymous search engine that doesnโ€™t track you.

The company was started in 2008 by Gabriel Weinberg and has steadily grown to a team of more than 20 people serving over 9 million searches a day.

We have a small headquarters in Paoli, PA, but the majority of our team is distributed around the world. Iโ€™m personally based out of NYC and work on the Front-end of the site.

I should be joined by a few others on the team, including: Zaahir, Doug, Chris, Adam and Jag.

Ask us anything!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Thanks everyone for your questions and the DuckDuckGo team for answering them! Weโ€™re closing the AMA now :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@skatkov 9yr

Good day,
How did you came up with such a name?:slight_smile:
Iโ€™m very secret about my.personal information, but I still meet people who think that 'if you have something to hide, then you are probably a criminal โ€™ . What is your opinion about such paranoid people as me?:slight_smile: what is your overall opinion on such a pre-judgement?:slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

As far as I know the name DuckDuckGo was just something random/memorable/quirky sounding that Gabriel landed upon when he started. Over the years A LOT of people have said that we should change the name, but I think it actually works to our advantage. Weโ€™ve seen people trying it or sharing it just because of the name.

As far as privacy, I canโ€™t speak for everyone else at the company. Personally, I think itโ€™s important that services like DuckDuckGo exist so people have the option of being a little more anonymous online if they choose to do so. Thereโ€™s a lot of perfectly legal reasons why people may choose not to share information about themselves online.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hi DDG Team,

I love DDGโ€™s commitment to privacy. Iโ€™m US citizen and often communication with friends abroad or with friends and family in the US when Iโ€™m traveling. This cross-border communication makes me a target for surveillance. What tools, aside from DDG, do you recommend for travelers who want to protect their privacy?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the question. The best thing you can do is try to stay encrypted wherever possible. Some great browser extensions that help are HTTPS Everywhere and PrivacyBadger by the EFF. Another option is using Tor. Also, for messaging you could use a client that supports OTR encryption.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Thanks, Brian. Iโ€™ll look into those extensions now.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hi guys,
Thanks for doing this, very cool :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Technical question:
Where are your servers located? How many do you have?
Does the person(s) who mans your physical servers have to stay in one place?

Second non-technical question:
Is it hard to hire a remote engineer who knows how to build a web crawler and search engine?

Thanks again!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hey Sean,

Our infrastructure is mostly all on AWS. I think we have some physical servers still at our HQ office, but as far as I know theyโ€™re not used for anything on the production site.

As far as hiring. I think itโ€™s actually easier because the pool of potential candidates is so much bigger when youโ€™re not constrained to a single location.

Thanks for the questions!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Awesome, nice to see you guys on here! Iโ€™m a huge fan of DDG, occasional pull requester and solid user of the search engine.

I was just wondering about where to aim to go next (in regards to getting the word out about DDG). Whenever I mention DDG to people they stare at me with blank faces. Have you guys ever thought about sponsoring hackathons? I saw you ran a DuckDuckHack but Iโ€™d love to see your name all over hackathon projects!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hey Daniel, thanks for the message! Great to hear youโ€™ve gotten involved with DuckDuckHack. Thatโ€™s a major focus for the company right now. Aside from privacy, Instant Answers are one of our biggest competitive advantages. Weโ€™re working on revamping a lot of the process, trying to make it easier for people to integrate third party APIโ€™s and data sources with DuckDuckGo. There should be a lot more to come there this year.

Hackathons are something we have been experimenting with. I think weโ€™re trying to see if we can scale our involvement in hackathons without sending employees around the world to be physically present at every event. One attempt at this has been working with members of the community and supporting them as they self organize DuckDuckHack events. The first one was one in NYC a few weeks ago, so weโ€™re still early in the experiment, but it seems promising.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@levelsio 9yr

Hey Brian and the rest of DDG! Thanks for doing this :smile:

As youโ€™re competing with some of the biggest tech companies in the world, do you consider being a remote startup as an advantage? As theoretically youโ€™d be able to attract more and better talent?

What made you decide to grow the company remotely? Was it an obvious choice?

And whatโ€™s your favorite tools to collaborate together and manage the team? Donโ€™t say Slack :stuck_out_tongue:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I think being a remote startup can be an advantage, especially when youโ€™re making an international product. We hire from all over the world because we are very picky and want to find people that love our mission, product, and culture. We also hire in a pretty unique fashion. Prospectives write in, contribute to the community, and then are considered for contract work. The best way to think about our team is concentric circles. Even the newest (positive) contributor is a member of the team, all the way to the CEO.

I still donโ€™t think remote is an obvious choice. Remote teams, where critical assets arenโ€™t centralized, are still pretty new. A lot of issues stem from connection fidelity and synchronization. Consider having a team of 5 where 4 people are in a single room, and one dials in on Skype. The telecommuter is intrinsically less connected to the rest of the group. At that point, even though 4 people are in one building, you might want to send everyone back to their desk and telecommute in too. That way everyone is connected at the same fidelity level. To be clear, thatโ€™s not to say being in a room together is better; but that communication needs to be balanced.

Itโ€™s a lot of fun being a part of the paradigm shift though! I hope that helps.

Asana, HipChat, Zoom, GitHub, EC2.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hey Lev,

Iโ€™m not sure about Gabrielโ€™s view on if remote is an advantage so I canโ€™t really speak for Duckduckgo as a whole, but, on a personal level I do think it makes a big difference. We attract some great talent that wouldnโ€™t be interested in a regular office job, but we also get a lot of unique viewpoints from around the world.

I think when you hire regionally there is a limit to the number of perspectives that can really be brought to the table, not only due to limitations of culture but also to the limited pool of workplaces. For example if your office is in a town that is mostly in the oil industry and most of your hires come from that culture then youโ€™ll have a skewed area of expertise. At Duckduckgo we donโ€™t have that issue as much and for a small team thatโ€™s really rare!

As for favorite tools, I really like Asana (or rather Iโ€™ve grown to love it after a period of despising it) and Iโ€™m quite a fan of Zoom which is a video call collaboration tool. Itโ€™s quite effective for multi-person video calls and I donโ€™t face the same lag issues I normally do with Skype!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hey folks Adam here!

As one of the newest members of the team Iโ€™ve very recently went through the process of adjusting to the scheduleโ€ฆ Or rather lack there of!

Working in business development there are times when I have to be on a specific call but ultimately you work in time frames that make the most sense for you.

Flexibility is interesting. You have the freedom to go for a mid-morning jog and its up to you to schedule a strategy that allows you to succeed - I think at the end of the day it boils down to the fact that when working remotely you have to really have a passion for what you do. I have a hunch that many of us work a little more than we would at a 9-5 office just because we love what we do.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hey Brian, thanks for answering questions! I have a question about remote working for you and your team - are your schedules regular or flexible? Some of us took months to figure out and adjust to a daily routine that works. Any tips on productivity?

Second question about DuckDuckGo - have you guys met in person and will you be planning any team retreats in future? Do you think retreats are nice but perhaps not neccessary given that we already have various remote tools like videoconferencing? (I personally think theyโ€™re great but I wonder if the cost might end up negating the cost savings/benefits of forming a remote team.)

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hey Xiufen!

1. Our schedules are pretty flexible. Whenever weโ€™re working we tend to be in HipChat, so over time you get a feel for everyoneโ€™s schedules and routines via their HipChat status. A majority of our discussions happen asynchronously though in Asana and Github. Then the more involved threads bubble up into video calls. But overall each person has a lot of flexibility to create a routine that works best for them. I personally find Iโ€™m more productive when I donโ€™t have a routine. Sometimes Iโ€™m up at 6AM working and other days Iโ€™m sleeping in until 10AM and working until midnight. It probably drives other people on the team crazy :).

2. We actually have a company retreat next week! Most of the team is heading to HQ in Paoli, PA! We try to do them once a year. I personally really like them. We do a lot of video conferencing too, but I think it really helps to get to know the people youโ€™re working with outside of that 3-inch square on your laptop.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What features would you like to see on Nomad List?

by @levelsio 3yr 3 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi everyone,

I would love to hear what you'd like me to build next on Nomad List, or any other product/feature feedback ideas you have.

It's been 6+ years now but I'm in this for the long term and with the boost remote work got last year it's even more exciting to work on Nomad List than ever.

Current roadmap is here: twitter.com/levelsio/status/1363204985488572417?s=20 and pbs.twimg.com/media/EusS9PKXEAUR8xp?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

The next products/features I have planned:

- ๐Ÿ›‚ Rebase: visa, residency and immigration services for remote workers

- ๐ŸŽ“Courses: learn the steps how to go remote and travel/relocate

- ๐Ÿ› Gov liaison: diplomacy services to the governments to help us lobby for nomads and for them to attract remote workers

Thanks a lot!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the best places right now in the Caribbean/LatAM? (Also cheapest flights/accommodation?)

by @orangutan3 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

What are the best places right now in the Caribbean/LatAM? (Also cheapest flights/accommodation?) Asking from the US.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

List of Visa/Residency Information in Table/Spreadsheet format?

by @innovatelife 3yr 3 years ago  | 2 comments

As part of signing up for this website I was hoping I would come across a list of Visa and/or Residency requirements by country ideally in a table format to assist with decision making. Does anybody recommend any other websites that might present the information in this format (or Google Spreadsheet)?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Most Walkable Neighborhood / City In The World ?

by @dannybooboo 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

I love living in walkable areas of town. I can always find them. But now I'm wondering where in the world are the most walkable places? I'm imagining walk streets (no cars), zoning allowing both business and residential, parks or beaches ,etc.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any nomads in Arizona, US?

in Netherlands by @info132 3yr 3 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi guys,

After the Netherlands, the Bay Area, Colorado and being on the van life for 8 months, I am now in Sedona, AZ with a few other digital nomads. We are sharing a home here and are wondering if there are more like minded people in the area.

We do a bunch of hikes and campouts in the northern of Arizona. If you would like to connect with us, please do so :)

Val

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

International number & internet?

by @leobassam 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

Has anyone figured out a way to get setup with a virtual number and internet connection anywhere you go?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there any tax issues I have to be aware of?

in Germany by @clara 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Hi everybody. I live and work in Germany and want to go to Canary Islands for 6 months to work from there. I'm going to keep my current job, just change the "home" in the home office part of things. Are there any tax issues I have to be aware of? I was reading about becoming a residence after 183 days, thus having to pay taxes there plus my employer having to register there. Does anybody know how it works exactly? Thanks a lot!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Chiang Mai accommodation

in Chiang Mai , Thailand by @bertieb 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Can anyone recommend a good accommodation website for Chiang Mai?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is anyone travelling right now?

by @viktor 3yr 3 years ago  | 3 comments

Winter is coming and Iโ€™m feeling the ache of travelling after being stuck in the same place since the Pandemic started. Wondering if anyone is travelling right now? If so, where are you currently located and how is the situation where you are?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hi, can anyone recommend nice kid-friendly neighborhoods in armenia, colombia? we're scouting it out this week. thanks

by @livefencefree 8yr 8 years ago  | 0 comments

hi, any here with experience in armenia? weโ€™re considering a move there and looking for good neighborhoods to look at this week. thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are some fun games for distributed teams?

by @que 8yr 8 years ago  | 1 comment

Has any played any fun games with their distributed teams? I need to find a game that I can play with my new team to celebrate the completion of a project. I was thinking something like a collaborative version of jib jab (http://www.jibjab.com/). Does anyone know of any?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

We're starting a coworking and coliving space in India. Can you help us validate it?

in India by @anugrah_sharma 8yr 8 years ago  | 12 comments

We are starting a co-working and co-living space (something like hubud) in Dharamshala, India; I would like to ask couple of questions to validate the concept:-

1. Would you consider living in India for a while?

2. We will be charging around 500 USD, which will cover everything including food,laundry,basic bed room and a beautiful working space. How willing are you to pay this amount?

3. Have any advice for us? Do share.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Can you name companies (5+ employees) with distributed/nomadic teams?

by @ggeorgiev 9yr 9 years ago  | 12 comments

So far I have:
Buffer, Toptal, Maptia & Upworthy - fully nomadic, the employees & founders are always on the go

Basecamp, GitHub, Mozilla - known for their distributed teams and mobility but majority of workforce still in HQ

Can you help me find more? I am doing research for digital nomads infographic.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hi, we are Coboat, an 82ft coworking catamaran sailing the world. AUA!

by @james 9yr 9 years ago  | 15 comments

Hi we are Coboat, a floating coworking space. We will take our custom 82ft catamaran around the world and offer a platform for a mix of digital nomads and entrepreneurs to come on board to work and collaborate together.

We have the latest in green energy technology and will utilise the latest in satellite internet, 3G & 4G to stay connected and online.

We offer trips from one week to one year and we will take up to 20 together on a creative adventure to amazing places to find inspiration.

Like most other coworking spaces we will offer plenty of chances to encourage synergies, with regular events, skill & idea sharing sessions.

We are non-profit and we hope to foster and develop ideas for social projects as we travel through regions.

We are also running a free 100 day scholarship โ€˜Made on Coboatโ€™ for anyone who wants to kick-start a new project.

Please, ask us anything. :smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hi! Weโ€™re Toptal, we help developers get jobs they can do from anywhere. AUA!

by @breanden 9yr 9 years ago  | 23 comments

Hi everyone,

My name is Breanden Beneschott, and Iโ€™m a Co-founder and the COO at Toptal.

At Toptal, we help developers get work they can do from anywhere.

As a digital nomad, Iโ€™ve lived and worked remotely in >30 countries since I finished school four years ago. Iโ€™ve been building Toptal. Toptal is a private network of awesome freelance software engineers, and companies hire us to build cool stuff. We are also an a16z-backed company in growth mode, and this year weโ€™ll hit about $80 million in recurring sales. Although our network has grown to thousands of people, Toptal doesnโ€™t have any offices. We operate from more than 93 countries, and since we encourage everyone to travel, a lot of us are digital nomads.

Last year, I wrote a post on Tim Ferrissโ€™s blog about how to travel as a founder/engineer that has some tips Iโ€™ve learned that you might find helpful: http://fourhourworkweek.com/2014/10/04/how-to-travel-to-20-countries-and-build-a-massive-business-in-the-process/

If you want to know more about Toptal (our developer community, how we travel, how we operate) or you just want to pick my brain, Iโ€™ll be happy to help where I can!

Thanks,
Breanden

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

We're organizing a Nomad House in Bali! Sign up here

by @atu 9yr 9 years ago  | 27 comments

Hi nomads,

As you can see a new movement in this revolution is coming out. Please make some noise for Project Bali. Like @nomadicpad said in the Project Austin, is a project about bringing 5 like-minded people together in order to create an inspirational, motivational and recreational house. You will learn from different skillsets and stay on the success track.

First of all, Iโ€™m looking for 3 nomads who want to experiment that in Ubud. Second step is to find a house and get in. If you guys are looking for an amazing experience letโ€™s apply here.

Feel free to add anything.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hi! We're Hacker Paradise, a traveling community of creatives. AUA!

by @alexeymk 9yr 9 years ago  | 11 comments

Hi! Weโ€™re Hacker Paradise, a traveling community of developers, designers, and other creative types. It was started by us two, Alexey and Casey.

Hereโ€™s the short pitch we give from our website:

Travel the world, get work done, grow personally & professionally, and be part of a tight-knit community of passionate and intellectually curious people.

You bring yourself, a project to work on, and a positive attitude.

We facilitate a tight-knit, creative community, organize a curated list of awesome places to visit, and provide a high-productivity workspace.

Last year we did Costa Rica, this year weโ€™ve done SE Asia (Thailand, Bali and Vietnam) and this Monday weโ€™re launching our first Europe trip, landing in Tallinn, Estonia.

Iโ€™m happy to answer questions about anything Hacker Paradise related - how and whywe got started, what the trips are like, the business side of things, and which one of us has a cheesier sense of humor (hint: itโ€™s Casey).

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hey! We're Sqwiggle, we're a remote team building tools for remote teams - AUA!

by @tommoor 9yr 9 years ago  | 14 comments

Hey everyone,

Weโ€™re the team behind Sqwiggle - a tool for remote teams to stay in touch through instant video and presence. Weโ€™re super passionate about remote working - currently the team is in San Francisco, Baltimore and England but we all travel a lot.

We have just started working on a new app called Speak.io (weโ€™re recruiting beta testers!) which deeply integrates into the Mac desktop to provide audio and presence (a bit of a pivot in startup terminology :wink: ) - again weโ€™re focused on distributed teams.

Today Iโ€™m joined by Eric, Luke and Will - the team building Speak.

Ask us anything!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hello. Weโ€™re Envato - we have 90 remoters and thousands of authors all over the world! AUA!

by @collis 9yr 9 years ago  | 27 comments

Hi guys, Iโ€™m Collis, cofounder and CEO of Envato. We have a team of 250, ninety of whom work remote in all parts of the globe.

Our sites are also home to thousands of creative freelancers making a living selling on our marketplaces. That community has earned over $250,000,000!

When we started Envato, my wife Cyan and I wanted to travel the world with a business - so we started this one. We did manage it for a year working from HK, Canada, Florida, Paris and Singapore before returning home.

Iโ€™m joined by Jarel who has worked with Envato since 2009 from around the US, our headquarters in Australia, as well as stints in Eastern Europe and Thailand.

Ask Us Anything!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
505ms