How can a New Zealand citizen get a 1-year visa for Thailand?

Hey!

I want to live in Chiang Mai (just like everyone else). I’m an NZ citizen and I’ve been staying in Malaysia the last year-ish on a tourist visa doing runs every 90 days. Immigration are giving me a hard time so I have to leave and Thailand is the place I want to be.

I would love some info from anyone especially NZer’s about getting a 1 year multi entry visa to Thailand. I want to do this all myself and save on third party fees so please give me some advice, I’ve spent a few hours doing research but I’m still totally confused.

Have heard if you study Thai you can get a 1 year Educational Visa. Don’t know much about it but worth looking into (I’m Australian, so should be applicable to Kiwi’s too)

Apparently New Zealand and Australia have some type of agreement with Thailand and offer a Working Holiday VISA to those under 30 who are university educated.

Kevin and Richard spend over a year here on such a VISA. They commented on it in this post: http://www.nichesitenomads.com/burn-report-sell-your-stuff-and-go-month-1-jan-14/

They’re both on Twitter if you need more info.

Awesome, thanks for your replies Victoria and Bradonomics.

I’m going to the Thai Embassy in KL tomorrow to apply for a visa, at the very least I should be able to get a visa which allows me 90 days in Chiang Mai. If I can pair that with 90 days Vietnam visa then I’m good :smile:

I don’t have a university degree nor do I plan on getting one. I found that there are plenty of services that trick the system and get you a work or study visa without you actually working or studying but they’re pricey and can apparently be risky.

In case anyone else is interested in knowing about the process of getting a Thai visa as a foreigner in Kuala Lumpur I’ll update the thread tomorrow.

@Lucinda how are you planning to get a 90 day visa for Thailand? Is this possible for a UK resident as well?

@jakedotpm UK nationals (like Kiwis and Aussies) can get a 90-day single entry visa for Thailand (as can Australians, New Zealanders, and various others). I think you apply via the Royal Thai Embassy in London.

Other options are a 60-day tourist visa (which can be extended another 30 days, apparently), or a 1 year non-immigration multi-entry visa.

@zero Thanks for that information. The 90-day single entry would probably be my best choice, although there is a chance that I want to stay out there for 6 months in which case perhaps the double-entry 60-day VISA if I extend on both visits and a exit/entry border run? The 1 year non-immigration multi-entry VISA sounds interesting. Sounds like there are lots of options… I’ll do some more research!

Can confirm that it’s possible to easily* get a 90 day single entry tourist visa for Thailand. Unfortunately that is the longest visa I could get, not sure if how many times I can reapply for it either.

I did this at the Thai Embassy in Kuala Lumpur. Visa application hours are between 9.30-11.30 but they will hand out application forms at 9AM. At 9:30 you can grab your ticket number and wait to be called. It’s fairly hassle free.

You need to bring with you:

• Passport
  • Photocopy of your passport, bring a couple just in case
  • 3 passport size photos
  • Pen to fill out forms
  • 150RM ($35USD) for visa fee
  • Visa form which they will hand to you once you arrive
  • You must bring a printed off page with your flights E-ticket from wherever to Thailand for the day you want your visa to start in Thailand.

The whole process was pretty hassle free. I had to go back twice to apply for my visa though because I did not bring a printed off E-ticket and they will not accept just a flight number. It doesn’t say anywhere that you need it but they were turning away a lot of people because they didn’t have their tickets to Thailand. A little annoying but hey, that’s the unstated regulations and this is Asia. You start to get used to that kinda BS.

They will tell you whether your visa is approved then the next day you can go and pick up your passport with the visa inside it. Visa collection hours are 14:30-16:30 and it’s painless, you just walk in and collect and pay your fee.

I would suggest you get to the embassy before 9AM and fill your forms out so you are one of the first people to be seen when the office officially opens at 9:30. Overall the wait isn’t that long, you could be there anywhere between 1-3 hours depending on which time you arrive.

Hope this was helpful to some people :smile:

2 Likes