Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (625K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,924) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations ๐Ÿก  Interior AI ๐Ÿ“ธ  Photo AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you find an apartment when there's nothing on Airbnb or Craigslist?

by @krompson 8yr  | 5 comments

So far, everywhere Iโ€™ve lived, Iโ€™ve been able to book an apartment in advance on Craigslist or Airbnb. Sometimes Iโ€™ll even reach out on the #nomads Slack group, on Couchsurfing, or contact the owner of a local coworking space to see if anyone knows a landlord in need of a tenant. This works great for larger towns and cities.

Iโ€™m beginning to look into living in smaller, more remote towns. Does anyone have advice about showing up in a country without a home and tracking one down?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I am not 100% pro-realtor but if you can traverse the language that works. Also ask local travel agents. I know sounds archaic but really works.

You can also try the app Magic or any of these new โ€œtask rabbitโ€ type apps. They can do the footwork for you.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Facebook groups are very useful in many places (Prague, Hanoiโ€ฆ)

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@sonia 8yr

I usually book a place (hostel, guesthouse) for a couple of nights and then check out locally (for rent signs, ads at the supermarket, asking around etc.). Also check out facebook. Some places have a facebook group for houses/rooms for rent (at least here in SEA).

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I stay almost exclusively in smaller cities and towns, so I totally know what you mean.

Budget hotels can make a decent temporary base and if you can find the popular local hangout bar/spot, you can usually ask around there. The tiny Swiss village I lived in had one particular bar that was โ€œtheโ€ place in town and the manager knew every place that was available. I had two apartments in Switzerland at two different times and one I found at the local coffee shop just hanging out and talking to people and the other at the local pub, also hanging out and talking to people.

You already mentioned Couchsurfing.org, but Iโ€™ll second that for anyone else asking the same question and reading this post. Not because I think people should couchsurf, but because they often have groups for locals looking for roommates or subletters and I actually had some luck just reaching out to people on the site and asking them where I should look for places. I found my Freiburg, Germany place (which was amazing) through Couchsurfing (a local reached out and told me his friend wanted to sublet her place the month I wanted to come) and I also found a room in Ghent, Belgium after a pipe burst in my Airbnb rental.

Facebook expat groups are also a great resource; expats generally know all the housing ins and outs of their communities.

Hope thatโ€™s helpful! Happy hunting!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@shayna 8yr

Hmm, if I wasnโ€™t having any luck in the normal channels, Iโ€™d probably resort to my default of booking a week in a hostel or hotel, then going around on foot to look for โ€œfor rentโ€ signs and inquire at local cafes, shops, etc.

You can also approach a local real estate agent or property manager, sometimes they have clients who are willing to rent month-to-month.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Anyone want to share an airbnb villa in Mexico?

in Mexico by @wouternomad 4yr 4 years ago  | 3 comments

I will be traveling/working through Mexico with my dog February to April. My plan is to stay in Sayulita for about 2-4 weeks, then travel south along the cost.

Is there anyone who wants to share an airbnb apartment? I was thinking of renting a private villa, but because these are large and have multiple rooms, I was wondering if there are fellow nomads wanting to share? Iโ€™m open to other locations as well (Puerto Vallerta, Oaxaca, and everything in between these two locations.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Do you prefer co-living spaces or hostels or Airbnbs?

by @davda1546 4yr 4 years ago  | 5 comments

We are hoping to become nomads soon and have booked an AirBnB in September in Goa for our first destination. We are considering what would be the best option for accommodation after that. We are trying to decide between co-living spaces, hostels, or Airbnbs.

What are your experiences of accommodation in terms of the following: reliable wifi, social aspect, pricing, cleanliness, cooking facilities?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to find Bangkok apartment rentals <$1,000/mo?

in Bangkok , Thailand by @vesko89 5yr 5 years ago  | 1 comment

Hey all,

i am trying to find a monthly based condo in SUKHUMVIT in BKK becaue i am staying 1-3 Months in BKK. But somehow its nearly impossible to find a nice one. Except Air BnB 1000$+ โ€ฆ

How do you find your Condos in BKK?

Greetings Vesko

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Estonia apartment site

in Estonia by @flipchan 5yr 5 years ago  | 1 comment

Hey,
In romania there is olx.ro which is like the local ebay, is there a similar site for estonia?

I want to rent an apartment for 3 months

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

When to book on Airbnb beforehand?

by @lostwithlocals 6yr 6 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi all,

So, for the last 5 years or so Iโ€™ve been working in the travel industry - which means Iโ€™ve not had to worry about things like accommodation, because my employer provided it wherever they sent me. This means that , although Iโ€™ve been hopping around the world for some time, some of the typical nomad tools like airbnb are relatively new to me now that Iโ€™ve crossed over to the world of freelancing.

I was looking forward to adopting a โ€œgo where the wind takes youโ€ mantra; never booking anything more than a few days ahead so that, if Iโ€™m in a bar and someone talks about a place really cool, I can justโ€ฆ up and go.

Well, Iโ€™m beginning to realise, that may be an unrealistic ideal! Iโ€™ve been taking a look through airbnb (granted, itโ€™s for Europe Summer), and Iโ€™m looking about 2 months in advance and everything is booked! Most searches I perform give back statements like โ€œCareful, only 5% of bookings with your search criteria are leftโ€ - in fact one of the places I planned to pass through only had 1 result left available.

It appears to me that if you want a reasonable period (letโ€™s say 2 weeks), with a few basic conditions like wifi, space to work, etc and you want it at an affordable price that you need to start hunting whatโ€ฆ 6 months in advance? Doesnโ€™t seem very spontaneous and nomadic.

Those of you that have more experience booking with airbnb - how far ahead are you booking to get what you need?

Thanks,

Joe

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to find an apartment to rent in Berlin?

in Berlin , Germany by @julianamundim 6yr 6 years ago  | 5 comments

looking for a place to rent for 3 months in Berlin.
except for Airbnb, have you tried any other online services?
cheers!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to find a short-term apartment in Casablanca?

in Casablanca , Morocco by @arved1990 6yr 6 years ago  | 0 comments

Hi everyone,

i plan to work from Casablanca from mid of April to begin of June this year and were wondering if anyone knows how to find a short-term apartment or a living commune . AirBnB does not really offer much under 1000 Euro, which seems a bit high for me.

I am looking for a 1-bedroom apartment o a room close to the city centre - budget: max 500 800 Euro. Can someone help?

Thanks! Arved

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is it just me or are Airbnb prices getting way out of hand?

by @srg_b 7yr 7 years ago  | 37 comments

I had this impression for a while now, but now it seems impossible to find a monthly stay over airbnb for a decent price. Just now I was looking at Utrecht which averages at 2500 euro per month for a studio. People seem to provide only small monthly discounts. In my last few trips I relied on Facebook groups for finding stay. I do have decent budget but paying โ‚ฌ1500+ for a studio in a European city simply seems ridiculous. How is everyone else finding accommodation?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where can I buy an office chair for my apartment in Chiang Mai?

in Chiang Mai , Thailand by @anderkd 7yr 7 years ago  | 0 comments

The apartment manager suggested kaidee.com, but nothing there. Any suggestions anyone?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to find a short-term apartment in Lisbon?

in Lisbon , Portugal by @jenny_ 7yr 7 years ago  | 10 comments

Hi everyone,

we plan to work from Lisbon from mid of April to mid of June this year and were wondering if anyone knows how to find a short-term apartment. AirBnB does not really offer much under 1000 Euro, which seems a bit high to us.

We are looking for a 1-bedroom apartment close to the city centre - budget: max 800 Euro. Can someone help?

Thanks! Jenny & Sebastian

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to find a good apartment in Playa del Carmen for $500/month?

in Playa del Carmen , Mexico by @rusticbohemian 7yr 7 years ago  | 3 comments

Iโ€™m interested in renting in apartment in Playa del carmen, Mexico, for the month of March. Iโ€™d like to pay $400-600 US. Anyone know of any good ones that are within 10-15 minute walking distances of 5th avenue and the downtown Mega grocery store?

Any suggestions welcome.

-Andrew

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to find a 1-month apartment for rent in Medellin, Colombia?

in Medellรญn , Colombia by @levelsio 7yr 7 years ago  | 12 comments

Iโ€™m visiting Medellin this October for a month and was wondering whatโ€™s the best way to find a place there.

Iโ€™m looking at El Pabelado, but on Airbnb itโ€™s all like $1500, when I know the real rent price there for a 1br should be $600.

Anyone can recommend some locals so I wonโ€™t get scammed/overpay?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Malta: Where to stay, how to find apartments

in Malta by @ryan.d.wardell 7yr 7 years ago  | 2 comments

Hey nomads! I just landed in Malta and Iโ€™m looking to rent a 1br apartment for a month, ideally close to a gym and supermarket.

Am I best sticking around sliema/st julians? Or st paulโ€™s bay? Or in Valletta itself?

Also, I havenโ€™t had much luck finding monthly rentals on airbnb or through simonmamo or other real estate sites - seems to be really tough finding a place for 1-3 months. Any inside tips on how to rent an apartment for a month here?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What would the perfect AirBNB listing be for digital nomads?

by @dave_chakrabarti 8yr 8 years ago  | 8 comments

Iโ€™m toying with the idea of hosting on AirBNB, in a city that doesnโ€™t have a large digital nomad presence (Calcutta, India). What would the ideal hosting ad look like for a digital nomad?

My personal preferences:

1. Clean (as clean / organized / decluttered as Iโ€™d expect a non-backpacker-y hotel to look like), so I actually feel like working. In India, this goes double for bathrooms; Iโ€™m willing to pay a lot more for a dry, clean bathroom.
  2. Fast, reliable wifi. Everyone seems to have a different definition of โ€œfastโ€ or โ€œbroadbandโ€, so some indication of actual speeds / bandwidth caps / reliability would be ideal, but I never see this in ads.
  3. Things within walking distance (mostly, I mean restaurants / bars, but sometimes department stores / malls / coffee shops are convenient).
  4. A couple of different places to work / read (hammock + desk, desk + coffee table on a balcony with a view of the mountains, standing desk + beanbag, etc).

I know thatโ€™s a pretty specific list, and most AirBNB hosts arenโ€™t developers, so much of this isnโ€™t likely on their radar. What would you guys ad to the list? What makes you AirBNB over a hotel, and / or what would be a must-have AirBNB feature?

Thanks,

D.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the best ways to find an apartment in Barcelona?

in Barcelona , Spain by @tylertringas 8yr 8 years ago  | 15 comments

Lots of nomads in and headed to Barcelona. Letโ€™s create a central place for resources, guides and sites for finding an apartment.

Iโ€™m headed there in April for 1-3 months (argh, Schengen!). So far Craigslist and Spotahome seem useful. What else is there?

Also any thoughts on neighborhoods would be great here. Right now Iโ€™m looking at Gracia which seems to be the spot. Probably avoid Barrio Gotico and Barceloneta due to masses of tourists. Iโ€™ve heard some good things about El Bornโ€ฆ thoughts?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Renting out apartment on Airbnb while traveling

by @swechris 8yr 8 years ago  | 7 comments

What are some good strategies on taking care of Airbnb managment while on traveling mode?

//Chris

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the best AirBnB houses you've been in Europe?

by @carlien 8yr 8 years ago  | 4 comments

At the moment Iโ€™m scouting AirBnB for a good place to stay for september. Which houses have you been & can you recommend? Iโ€™m looking at all kinds of locations.

Thanks in advance!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's your system for finding places on Airbnb?

by @kathrynoh 8yr 8 years ago  | 51 comments

Since I started travelling 6 months ago, Iโ€™ve used Airbnb a lot to find apartments. Iโ€™ve had some great experiences but enough bad ones to start wondering about the whole system. Arriving at places to find they are nothing like described, even when they have scores of glowing reviews is not good.

Even though Airbnb have done all in their power to help out when Iโ€™ve had issues, Iโ€™d rather avoid these situations in the first place. I want to arrive at a place to find itโ€™s what Iโ€™ve paid for so I can get to work rather than spend time resolving issues.

Do other people have any system for finding places on Airbnb? Do you use recommendations, send the hosts a checklist or have any other methods? Or do you just not care so long as you have a roof over your head?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to find a short-term apartment in Rio de Janeiro?

in Rio de Janeiro , Brazil by @chrispreynolds 8yr 8 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi all, I am looking for apartments to rent for 2 months starting in late January 2016 in Rio de Janeiro. I know of AirBnb, vivareal.com, easyquarto.com, and one Rio apartment FB group. Any others out there? Thanks

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any tips for renting a one month apartment in Bangkok for under $500/month?

in Bangkok , Thailand by @kirill 9yr 9 years ago  | 6 comments

Iโ€™m moving to Bangkok in November, and shooting to find an apt. with wifi for under $500 / month, for probably just a one month stay.

More curious about which neighborhoods to look for, something lively and fun as well. And any methods too, Iโ€™ve been looking at Airbnbs but get the feeling that itโ€™s a little inflated on there.

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
431ms