Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (647K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=6,007) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations ๐Ÿก  Interior AI ๐Ÿ“ธ  Photo AI โœจ  Applicant AI ๐Ÿ’Ž  Clarity AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you manage your laundry?

by @jeanbog 8yr  | 10 comments

Hello ! :slightly_smiling:

I am wondering how do you manage your laundry work flow.

I ask this question because since I investigate the minimalist way of life I only have 4 teeshirts.
So I changed my habits and I wash my teeshirt, my boxer and my socks while taking a shower (takes me 6 more minutes).

How about you ?
Are you reducing your laundry flow, like by wearing merinos wool clothes ?
Are you going to lavomatic one time a week because you have enough clothes for all the week ?
Are you going to lavomatic more often that once a week because you have only few clothes ?
Are you handwashing your clothers ? how and how often ?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I just fill up the hotel sink with hot water and throw the dayโ€™s dirty clothes in there. Then take the hotel shampoo and empty it into the basin with the clothes. Let it sit there for a couple of hours while I go out. When I come back, I hang it up and let gravity dry out the clothes for me. Usually by check out time, itโ€™s mostly dry. Usually, itโ€™s just a t-shirt, underwear, and shorts. I wear shoes that donโ€™t require socks, so I donโ€™t have to deal with socks.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

As Iโ€™ve stated on another threadโ€ฆ

When I travel, I just bring two of everythingโ€ฆ
2 x synthetic underwear (Uniqlo Airism)
2 x synthetic t-shirts
2 x pairs of synthetic socks.

And then each night after Iโ€™ve taken a shower, I manually wash my synthetics in the sink (warm water & soap, no twisting), rinse out with warm water, squeeze out the water, roll it up in a towel (like a burrito; see below) to suck out more moisture, then hang dry overnight, and everything should be dry the next day. This obviously only works for synthetics, not cottons, since cotton takes forever to dry. Overall, it only takes about 5 minutes each night. With synthetics, you just want to avoid hot washing, hot drying, and twisting.

Burrito Roll Technique:
http://blog.tortugabackpacks.com/wp-content/forum/uploads/roll-in-towel-dry2.png

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Do you carry a clothesline with you? If so, which one?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

If you are going to do a clothesline, I recommend going to an outdoor store and getting 2-3 meters of the smallest guage climbing rope they have and bringing a dozen large safety pins. The rops is cheaper and more versatile and the safety pins are less bulky and more useful than regular clothes pins.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@kathrynoh 8yr

Try stomping on rather than twisting โ€“ that way you have your whole body weight not just your arm strength :slightly_smiling:

Most of my stuff is cotton. It doesnโ€™t take that long to dry. I usually put it on a coathanger and hang it off the aircon.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@kathrynoh 8yr

It depends on where Iโ€™m staying. Obviously in a cold country you can wear your clothes more times without washing than somewhere humid, where you sweat a lot.

Most times, Iโ€™m at an Airbnb with a washing machine so itโ€™s not an issue. If I donโ€™t have that then Iโ€™ll go to a laundrymat (I assume thatโ€™s what a lavomat is, never heard that expression before) but will do a handwash in between times for underwear etc.

I didnโ€™t realise until I started reading travel tips that most Americans only wear clothes once before washing them? If it doesnโ€™t stink and isnโ€™t dirty, Iโ€™ll keep wearing something.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

It depends. For underwear & socks, Americans generally only wear once before washing.

But on the other extreme, some Americans rarely wash their blue jeans, because they want to minimize fading & damage. Anderson Cooper washes his blue jeans once every 3 months. Tommy Hilfiger claims that he NEVER washes his blue jeans.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/lifestyle/2014/05/why-levis-ceo-says-to-stop-washing-your-jeans/

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@kathrynoh 8yr

Yeah obviously clean underwear every day but things like t-shirts, dresses, skirts I would wear a few times before washing.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

i occasionally hand wash, but usually use a laundry service. yesterday when i checked into my hotel i dropped off everything but the clothes on my back. today i picked up my clean laundry and dropped off what i was wearing yesterday. all-in, cost me less than $3 USD.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

In house machine cleaning or just drop off at laundry. It is quite cheap and your time is worth heck of a lot more.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What features would you like to see on Nomad List?

by @levelsio 3yr 3 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi everyone,

I would love to hear what you'd like me to build next on Nomad List, or any other product/feature feedback ideas you have.

It's been 6+ years now but I'm in this for the long term and with the boost remote work got last year it's even more exciting to work on Nomad List than ever.

Current roadmap is here: twitter.com/levelsio/status/1363204985488572417?s=20 and pbs.twimg.com/media/EusS9PKXEAUR8xp?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

The next products/features I have planned:

- ๐Ÿ›‚ Rebase: visa, residency and immigration services for remote workers

- ๐ŸŽ“Courses: learn the steps how to go remote and travel/relocate

- ๐Ÿ› Gov liaison: diplomacy services to the governments to help us lobby for nomads and for them to attract remote workers

Thanks a lot!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the best places right now in the Caribbean/LatAM? (Also cheapest flights/accommodation?)

by @orangutan3 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

What are the best places right now in the Caribbean/LatAM? (Also cheapest flights/accommodation?) Asking from the US.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

List of Visa/Residency Information in Table/Spreadsheet format?

by @innovatelife 3yr 3 years ago  | 2 comments

As part of signing up for this website I was hoping I would come across a list of Visa and/or Residency requirements by country ideally in a table format to assist with decision making. Does anybody recommend any other websites that might present the information in this format (or Google Spreadsheet)?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Most Walkable Neighborhood / City In The World ?

by @dannybooboo 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

I love living in walkable areas of town. I can always find them. But now I'm wondering where in the world are the most walkable places? I'm imagining walk streets (no cars), zoning allowing both business and residential, parks or beaches ,etc.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any nomads in Arizona, US?

in Netherlands by @info132 3yr 3 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi guys,

After the Netherlands, the Bay Area, Colorado and being on the van life for 8 months, I am now in Sedona, AZ with a few other digital nomads. We are sharing a home here and are wondering if there are more like minded people in the area.

We do a bunch of hikes and campouts in the northern of Arizona. If you would like to connect with us, please do so :)

Val

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

International number & internet?

by @leobassam 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

Has anyone figured out a way to get setup with a virtual number and internet connection anywhere you go?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there any tax issues I have to be aware of?

in Germany by @clara 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Hi everybody. I live and work in Germany and want to go to Canary Islands for 6 months to work from there. I'm going to keep my current job, just change the "home" in the home office part of things. Are there any tax issues I have to be aware of? I was reading about becoming a residence after 183 days, thus having to pay taxes there plus my employer having to register there. Does anybody know how it works exactly? Thanks a lot!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Chiang Mai accommodation

in Chiang Mai , Thailand by @bertieb 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Can anyone recommend a good accommodation website for Chiang Mai?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is anyone travelling right now?

by @viktor 3yr 3 years ago  | 3 comments

Winter is coming and Iโ€™m feeling the ache of travelling after being stuck in the same place since the Pandemic started. Wondering if anyone is travelling right now? If so, where are you currently located and how is the situation where you are?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you manage working in different time zones?

by @clusk 6yr 6 years ago  | 12 comments

For those constrained by their businessโ€™ time zone, how do you manage this?

My home office is in Los Angeles โ€“ though I could swing anything in Central/South America, Iโ€™m looking at going to Lisbon or Chiang Mai for a bit. Both of them are >=8hrs difference potentially wreaking havoc on the work + social life + sleep split. This is a common question for nomads but there doesnโ€™t seem to be a lot of posting on the site about it.

What do you guys think? Any Americans working in Asia or Europe that does it well? I could likely negotiate with my supervisor to work in Eastern standard if I was in Lisbon/Europe, which wouldnโ€™t be too much of a stretch. Noon 'til 8pm. A bit more manageable than Chiang Mai or Bali.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you manage your location independent business as a Nomad Entrepreneur?

by @vzablocky 6yr 6 years ago  | 3 comments

Iโ€™d like to invite nomad entrepreneurs in this topic to discuss what are the challenges you face in filing taxes, insurance and banking complications, while travelling and running your business remotely.

Please share your thoughts! I would be happy to help!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you manage your money as a nomad?

by @visualista 6yr 6 years ago  | 2 comments

Hi, let me start by saying iโ€™m an idiot when it comes to these things. I know all the infos are out there and Iโ€™ve been reading posts here as well as googling lots of blogs to find answers but there are just so many details and personal aspects that it leaves me dizzy! Iโ€™m hoping for a kind soul to share his/her wisdom with me in simple words. Bear with me while I try to wrap my head around this:

I NEED: 1. to be able to get payed by international customers in Dollars and Euros mostly 2. A way to get to that money with a debit/credit card for online payments and ATMโ€™s in whatever local currency needed (thinking of heading to Bali next)

I AM: newly nomadic designer working with platforms like 99designs and upwork as well as some direct clients. I have swiss citizenship, but am no longer resident there, or anywhere else.

I HAVE: 1. A swiss bank account (UBS) with CHF and no credit card (for savings not to be touched). 2. A spanish bank account (Deutsche Bank) with EUR with a debit and credit card for backup money. 3. A Paypal Account.

The plan is to earn the money I need to live monthly and put it into a spending account and only touch the others (CHF/EUR) if I didnโ€™t make enough money.

So far Iโ€™ve come across these options:

1. Paypal
    I already have a paypal account and It does some of what I want. Except Iโ€™d have to transfer my online money to my Euro Account to spend it with my spanish credit card. Which sounds like a lot of fees. Blog posts about nomad finances all seem to say paypal is an expensive option.

2. Open Local Bank Accounts / Use Butcoins
    I would like the simplest solution possible. Opening new accounts for every country sounds like too much paperwork (which I hate with the intensity of 100 hell fires). Bitcoins? Iโ€™m already confused with all the real currencyโ€™s involved please donโ€™t bring in digital onesโ€ฆ

3. Payoneer
    Biggest plus: It is integrated in the platforms I work with (99d & Upwork) so I can pay out my earnings really simple and supposedly cheap. They also give me a Mastercard to spend that money and multi-currency โ€œbank accountsโ€. But Iโ€™ve read really mixed reviews about it so I donโ€™t know what to think of it in the end.

4. Revolut:
    Seems to be just what I need. You get a Mastercard and . It seems like they have really low fees, good exchange rates and no ATM extra-charges? I read some good reviews (except customer service which seems to be terrible with both Payoneer and Revolut). Customers can pay me directly with the multi-currency bank accounts but I would have to find the best way to bring my earnings from 99d and Upwork into here (I read about a guy that uses payoneer to send money to his Revolut? Is anyone using a similar setup?)

5. Travel Credit Cards
    Iโ€™ve read about those who are suposed to have low fees and no ATM-charges, have not done any research yet.

So this is what my research brought up. Is there something I missed? Seems like getting to your money is harder than actually making it xD
Does anybody with a similar situation have personal experiences and clear suggestions on this topic?
I canโ€™t seem to make up my mind between payoneer and revolut. I also read about Transferwise bringing in their own credit card but could not find any infos from them? I would really appreciate your inputs because as mentioned I find this all quite overwhelming and would love an easy solution that involves the least amount of paperwork/effort (even is I loose a few cents here and there if not possible otherwise)

Thank you all!!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you manage receiving mail without a permanent address in the Philippines?

in Philippines by @kaizenpreneur 7yr 7 years ago  | 3 comments

Hello all,

I have a mail management service in the UK which all my mail gets sent to. This works fine 90% of the time and most can be dealt with digitally.

The other 10%, I need the mail sent on to me, which they do offer as a service. However, where I struggle is giving them an address to send it to in the Philippines, namely Manila.

Iโ€™ve used DHL for really important stuff, like bank cards, but it would be nice to have an address where I can forward certain mail. Anyone been able to set something up like this in the Philippines? Would a virtual office allow me to receive mail?

Thanks in advance

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you manage noise when working in public space?

by @littleshiva 8yr 8 years ago  | 15 comments

Iโ€™m an introvert: people distract and exhaust me, and my ideal working environment would be an empty room and silence. Next best is what I have whenever Iโ€™m in my own environment: the space is never empty, but itโ€™s usually silent save for ambient noise. Working from public space involves dealing with noise levels that are, for me, entirely counterproductive. Right now Iโ€™m in a hotel lounge and was settling in to focus on a magazine layout job when all of a sudden they switched the music to something loud, upbeat and with lyrics. I put my earplugs in immediately, but I can still hear that crap, and my concentrationโ€™s shot. What do you all do to manage noise when working from public space, or what are your workarounds?

In my case right now, Iโ€™m here because I need several hours of electricity, not just the two hours max I could get at my off-grid location. My noise workaround is to come to town and recharge my laptop, then go back to the country to work, but for long amounts of time, thatโ€™s not an option for me (yet โ€” but Iโ€™m working on it).

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Anyone doing social media management as a digital nomad?

by @swechris 8yr 8 years ago  | 2 comments

Iโ€™d love to hear some advice on how to get customers and making everything work smoothly and remotely.

//Chris

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Remote Jobs for Agile Product Managers/ Project Managers

by @msurocks99 8yr 8 years ago  | 2 comments

I know its pretty easy for top quality developers to find a remote job and go nomad. I have did development and support kind of stuff for nearly 5 years and it seems this is not something I want to do for long term. So, looking for opportunities mostly into Product Management/ Project Management roles. I have some experience in this sector and I think I will be able to do good in this arena.

But I tried to search every remote job board, couldnโ€™t find any such. So, my question where is the recruiters hiring Remote Product Managers/ Project Managers or they are not up to in remote work for this kind of role.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Working as a Scrum project manager and being a nomad?

by @thesuedetiger 8yr 8 years ago  | 2 comments

Iโ€™m a scrum master/project manager for a 6 man dev team in the UK. We already work remotely (from our homes mainly) and my wife and I are now ready to take the next step by going nomad.

Most stories and feedback Iโ€™ve read on here are from devs and designers. Has anyone got any examples of successfully working as a project manager while working in different timezones etc? I can foresee a few challenges but it would be great to hear from anyone with experience of this?

Thanks you lovely people.

Paul Tunnicliffe

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any product managers here working remotely?

by @sneha_magapu 9yr 9 years ago  | 7 comments

Hi guys,
I am Sneha from India and wish to begin a nomadic lifestyle soon. Want to know if there are any Product / Project Manager nomads here and your experiences working remote. I generally understand that most digital nomads are writers / coders / designers etc. I would love to know how you began freelancing / remote working as a project manager, good avenues to get work and any advice you would like to share with the newbies.

Cheers!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there management consultants working remotely here?

by @munly_leong 9yr 9 years ago  | 0 comments

Anyone doing the nomad thing as a true consultant in the sense of the word? as in you are billing based on the value of your advice/solution but not responsible for the actual implementation and day-to-day.

Iโ€™ve always silently snickered at those who think theyโ€™re IT consultants but are actually IT contractors on some 6 year govt boondoggle etc.

Iโ€™d argue that management consultants may have been the first actual digital nomads. Maybe? lol

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
460ms