Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (635K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,993) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations ๐Ÿก  Interior AI ๐Ÿ“ธ  Photo AI โœจ  Applicant AI ๐Ÿ’Ž  Clarity AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you network on the road?

by @justinbosco 7yr  | 7 comments

Hey everyone, my girlfriend and I have been nomading for about 8 months now and weโ€™ve had a total blast doing it, but something weโ€™ve both struggled with is how to stay in touch with personal/professional networks while abroad, especially since we donโ€™t speak the language in most places we live. When youโ€™re at home or in a single English-speaking city, you can attend one of those awful professionals groups and make 10 business connections in 10 minutes, but when youโ€™re moving around monthly, itโ€™s just harder to keep up personal and professional relationships, let alone build new ones. So, as friends who understand this wonderful but often lonely lifestyle, how do you keep your networks up while on the road?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

We use a mix of things:

• Gociety.com for outdoor minded folks in America
  • Google search โ€œdigital nomadโ€ and the city that we are relocating to
  • Push out a Facebook as that says something like โ€œWeโ€™re headed to _____ for a couple of months, who should we know thereโ€.

Hope that helps some!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hey Adam, Iโ€™m definitely outdoor-minded so gociety.com seems like a great tool. Thanks for the advice!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Iโ€™ve found this piece of the nomad lifestyle to be the most difficult (and the thing that most makes me want to not travel as much or return to โ€œnormal lifeโ€)! I canโ€™t speak as much to the professional relationships side of things, but I definitely can speak to the personal relationships side. (Also, sorry for the novel of a reply! I hope it helps in some way. :slight_smile: )

Iโ€™ve been traveling/nomading with my husband for almost 4 years now and weโ€™ve tried a bunch of different things for keeping up with existing friend groups and for meeting new people/ making new friends.

For keeping up with existing personal networks, I found that I mostly had to let them go. Because when you go back, honestly, not much has changed. Even after 3 years. By not trying too hard to keep up with all of my friends back home Iโ€™m able to focus more on where Iโ€™m at. Letting go and not trying to keep up with people also means that its been easier to narrow down and see who matters most to me back home. Instead of feeling like I needed to keep up with 20+ people back home, now I have a just a few friends from the states that I would consider my best friends and that I try to keep in touch with every few weeks. And even if we donโ€™t touch base for months, itโ€™s easy to pick back up where we left off.
To me, keeping up with people back home has often felt like when I did 11 months of long distance with my boyfriend (now husband). You just canโ€™t grow, let alone maintain, a good relationship when youโ€™re doing long distance. You have different lives and just talking about your life and what you did everyday gets old. You just want to BE with that other person. Itโ€™s kind of the same with friends back home.

The second piece, meeting new people and making new friends, has evolved quite a bit over the past 4 years for me.

At first, NomadList hadnโ€™t even launched yet and I rarely met other full time travelers who were also working while traveling. There were some co-working spaces, but most of them were for locals (and tended to be expensive.) During that time, my husband and I spent most of our time going to cities where we already had friends or we would plan trips with friends. Stretches where we didnโ€™t have friends already in the city were often a bit lonely (even with a significant other there.) We would sometimes try using Meetup.com or stay in a private room in a hostel to meet other people.

Honestly, the launch of NomadList made changed everything. The term โ€œdigital nomadโ€ actually became more known and there started to be whole communities of people that identified with it everywhere around the world. So once it launched, I started using the NomadList slack channel to meet up with other people when I got to a new city. Co-working spaces also started to be a thing, so I started using them to meet other people.

Where things really started to get interesting for us was year 2-3. I had been making new friends time thanks to tools like the NL slack channel, but I was starting to get really tired of making new friends all the time. I was starting to miss the depth of other friendships back home. Making new friends with other nomads is great, but also difficult because no one sticks around. Why invest in a friendship thatโ€™s seemingly only going to last 2 weeks, 1 months, etc? And by only making friends with other nomads, travelers, etc, I felt like I was in a bubble. Trust me, only talking about sales funnels, products, how productive you are, what your morning routine is, how to make passive income, how great the 4 hour work week is, etc can get pretty old. lol. I started to miss just shooting the shit and doing normal life things with people.

The benefit I didnโ€™t see at first is that I can meet up with friends that are also nomads. (I knowโ€ฆ duh.) So many of the relationships I was hesitant to invest in have actually become great friendships.

Meeting people on the road and then choosing to continue to meet up with them has been key for me. Friendships take time and the more time you can get with people, the better!

Now, my husband and I are sort-of phasing out of being โ€œnomadsโ€ and focusing only on living in places where we have friends or in places where we know our friends will come back to. Since we still want to see our good friends back home, weโ€™re also making more of an effort to make sure they can come out to visit (instead of us going back home all the time.)

I know thatโ€™s not what everyone wants to do though, and especially if youโ€™re still in a phase of wanting to travel al lot, this probably wonโ€™t make sense for you. I would recommend using tools like the NL slack to meet other nomads and go to co-working spaces as the main way to meet other people and make new friends. Meetup.com, networking events, etc can also be good. There are often great Facebook groups for entrepreneurs, nomads, etc for many cities these days, so that could work too!

If you read my whole reply, kudos. :+1: I couldnโ€™t really think of how to share my advice without sharing my story!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hi Steph, thanks a million for the detailed reply! I completely agree, the isolation of being a nomad is one of the worst parts and plugging into the community seems like an awesome way to overcome that.

When we select destinations, we typically look for small cities (Iโ€™m a big fan of the outdoors always look for cities that are easy to escape for a hike or a run) and we typically stay put for a month or two at a time to make work more manageable. My passive income and four-hour workweek still need some polishing, so I tend to be chained to the desk too often slaving away for clients. So far, the destinations weโ€™ve selected havenโ€™t been hotspots on the nomad circuit, so weโ€™ve yet to make any strong connections in the community. Planning ahead with the Slack channel sounds like a great way to build some relationships down the road and working in a co-working space is definitely something weโ€™ll have to try.

I just followed your profile and would be happy to have you and your husband follow ours too, weโ€™d love to grab a coffee or beer and compare travel notes if our paths ever cross. Thanks again for the thoughtful comment.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Totally! We sound pretty similar actually. :slight_smile: My husband I mostly gravitate towards similar cities with lots of green spaces or nature readily available! We both work part to full time (usually closer to full). Which sometimes make the community aspect even harder because we spend so much of our time working! (Which we mostly love though. :slight_smile: )

It really is tricky, and Iโ€™m sure itโ€™s different for everyone! You might want to try the Slack channel in whatever city youโ€™re in anyway, even if itโ€™s not a hotspot. Facebook groups for specific cities are also really great, and you usually get a good mix of types of people that way too.

Our journey has evolved and changed so many time - from trying to settle in a nomad hotspot (Chiang Mai), to making new friends all the time in coworking spaces, to traveling constantly to see existing friendsโ€ฆ

I think itโ€™s going to be really interesting to watch how the scene evolves and what people end up doing for this problem! A lot of people seem to have home bases where majority of their friends are and quite a few people just go back โ€œhomeโ€. I personally love the idea of home bases!!

Would love to meet up as well if we ever cross paths! :slight_smile: cheers!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hi!

Iโ€™ve been struggling with the same. Been nomading for 5 months + .

The solution that Iโ€™m testing Itโ€™s to hold an event in each city Iโ€™m going. In my case I do talks and workshops on Personal development and business with purpose and hope to atract people that itโ€™s also into this. This month, Iโ€™m giving a talk in Ho Chi Minh and in Hong Kong the next one.

Also I look for meetup.com, eventbrite and facebook events as soon as I arrive. Depending on the country/city they may use other platforms to publish events.

I think for me this works to build new relationships and networks. Now on keeping networks and staying in touchโ€ฆ Iโ€™m failing in that yet. Let me know if you come up with something :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hey chelocoach, great ideas, Iโ€™ve actually used meetup.com a few times in the States, but never thought to look for meetups abroad. Iโ€™m definitely going to give it a whirl. Thanks for the thoughts!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What features would you like to see on Nomad List?

by @levelsio 3yr 3 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi everyone,

I would love to hear what you'd like me to build next on Nomad List, or any other product/feature feedback ideas you have.

It's been 6+ years now but I'm in this for the long term and with the boost remote work got last year it's even more exciting to work on Nomad List than ever.

Current roadmap is here: twitter.com/levelsio/status/1363204985488572417?s=20 and pbs.twimg.com/media/EusS9PKXEAUR8xp?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

The next products/features I have planned:

- ๐Ÿ›‚ Rebase: visa, residency and immigration services for remote workers

- ๐ŸŽ“Courses: learn the steps how to go remote and travel/relocate

- ๐Ÿ› Gov liaison: diplomacy services to the governments to help us lobby for nomads and for them to attract remote workers

Thanks a lot!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the best places right now in the Caribbean/LatAM? (Also cheapest flights/accommodation?)

by @orangutan3 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

What are the best places right now in the Caribbean/LatAM? (Also cheapest flights/accommodation?) Asking from the US.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

List of Visa/Residency Information in Table/Spreadsheet format?

by @innovatelife 3yr 3 years ago  | 2 comments

As part of signing up for this website I was hoping I would come across a list of Visa and/or Residency requirements by country ideally in a table format to assist with decision making. Does anybody recommend any other websites that might present the information in this format (or Google Spreadsheet)?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Most Walkable Neighborhood / City In The World ?

by @dannybooboo 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

I love living in walkable areas of town. I can always find them. But now I'm wondering where in the world are the most walkable places? I'm imagining walk streets (no cars), zoning allowing both business and residential, parks or beaches ,etc.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any nomads in Arizona, US?

in Netherlands by @info132 3yr 3 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi guys,

After the Netherlands, the Bay Area, Colorado and being on the van life for 8 months, I am now in Sedona, AZ with a few other digital nomads. We are sharing a home here and are wondering if there are more like minded people in the area.

We do a bunch of hikes and campouts in the northern of Arizona. If you would like to connect with us, please do so :)

Val

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

International number & internet?

by @leobassam 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

Has anyone figured out a way to get setup with a virtual number and internet connection anywhere you go?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there any tax issues I have to be aware of?

in Germany by @clara 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Hi everybody. I live and work in Germany and want to go to Canary Islands for 6 months to work from there. I'm going to keep my current job, just change the "home" in the home office part of things. Are there any tax issues I have to be aware of? I was reading about becoming a residence after 183 days, thus having to pay taxes there plus my employer having to register there. Does anybody know how it works exactly? Thanks a lot!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Chiang Mai accommodation

in Chiang Mai , Thailand by @bertieb 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Can anyone recommend a good accommodation website for Chiang Mai?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is anyone travelling right now?

by @viktor 3yr 3 years ago  | 3 comments

Winter is coming and Iโ€™m feeling the ache of travelling after being stuck in the same place since the Pandemic started. Wondering if anyone is travelling right now? If so, where are you currently located and how is the situation where you are?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you work out and stay fit on the road?

by @christianbundy 7yr 7 years ago  | 30 comments

I worked out a few times a week back home, but havenโ€™t been able to figure out how to make it a part of my routine now that Iโ€™m living out of my backpack in hostels. Iโ€™ve always gone to gyms, but Iโ€™d be open to trying bodyweight exercises. I thought that I might be able to do bodyweight exercises in parks/etc, but the past few days in London have been wet and miserable and I canโ€™t find the motivation to go do push ups in wet grass. Any advice?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

The paradox of choice, how do you make decisions on the road?

by @sonja 8yr 8 years ago  | 23 comments

Hey all,

I recently spent 2.5 years as a DN (mostly Europe and SE Asia) but then went through a huge breakup (6 yr relationship) and decided to spend some time back home (Melbourne, AUS). Iโ€™m giving myself a year back here, just to โ€˜come downโ€™ from it all, reconnect with important people in my life, and lick my wounds a bit.

Can I just say, surprise surprise - itโ€™s HAAAARD! Being home is such a slap in the face, even though Iโ€™m earning more money than ever, my business is going great, and doing some other wonderful things/spending time with wonderful people. The breakup, coupled with a complete shift in my reality and routine has been almost too much to bare - I wouldnโ€™t recommend it! NOBODY at home understands the internal existential conflict Iโ€™m experiencing. Itโ€™s been 8 months and not getting any easier.

Hereโ€™s the thing: I know that I want to continue the DN lifestyle, and am very well-equipped to do so, but I canโ€™t stop thinking about why, how and when. Is it the right thing for me anymore? Should I set up a base here again properly, buy an apartment & all that jazz, and just do shorter trips?

This has probably been discussed multiple times, so apologies if Iโ€™m repeating. Here are my main concerns around going back to full time travel:

Being a DN with a long-term partner who was also working a bit seemed like the ultimate lifestyle for me. It was damn amazing. Now that Iโ€™m no longer in a relationship, and am a female nearing 30, I canโ€™t help but feel pressured by society to stay here and remain open to the possibility of eventually meeting someone again. If I want to have a family at any point, I kinda canโ€™t be running all over the world creating fleeting relationship after fleeting relationship and having to deal with the loneliness that inevitably hits when you make beautiful connections and then have to say goodbye over and over. I feel Iโ€™ve been โ€˜brokenโ€™ and donโ€™t have the emotional capacity to handle this anymore. At least last time, I had one solid thing that was always there - my partner.

On top of this, donโ€™t you think the DN thing is just way more purposeful and wonderful when you have someone to share it with? I feel like doing it alone will just remind me over and again of my loss. Perhaps though, as I create new memories, that will ease in time.

Also, because Iโ€™m so flustered and restless at the moment, I canโ€™t decide where I want to go next. Iโ€™m overwhelmed by all the places in the world I want to visit, and places I want to go back to. How do you cope with this overwhelm and making some decisions when youโ€™re alone? Was easy for me when I had someone to plan it out with.

And finally, am I being ridiculous? I know everyone says you should just do what you WANT to do in life, focus on yourself, do what makes you happy, and perhaps love will happen again at some point when youโ€™re ready. But you also donโ€™t get the things you want without a little bit of planning. Perhaps I should just stop thinking about my โ€˜body clockโ€™ and be ok with whatever happens. Easier said than done!

Your kind encouragement would be most appreciated.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to sign legal documents on the road?

by @gawin 8yr 8 years ago  | 11 comments

It can be hard to get access to a good printer and scanner while moving, especially if you have to sign a lot of documents. Now, I could scan my signature and just copy paste a digital image it on the documents, but that doesnโ€™t feel secure and really easy to copy by others.

How do you sign legal documents while on the road?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you network and connect with others on your travels?

by @evamamartin 8yr 8 years ago  | 4 comments

Just wondering what your favourite tips for connecting with like-minded people are, particularly when youโ€™re only in one location for a few weeks / months, and donโ€™t speak the local lingo.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Anyone have advice for running a service based business from the road?

by @nick_hurford 9yr 9 years ago  | 0 comments

Hi everyone,

Iโ€™ve been running a web design business for the last 3 years from my hometown in the UK. Iโ€™ll be leaving for Chiang Mai in June and will be travelling across South-East Asia for 6 months.

Wondering if anyone has experience running a service based business on the road? One of my concerns is almost all my clients want to have face-to-face meetings, especially initial meetings to see if we can work together.

Obviously Skype is an option but when Iโ€™ve suggested this in the past people would much rather meet face-to-face.

Another potential stumbling block is being available to answer phone calls, although there seem to be good value telephone answering services available.

My long term goal is to move away from this and focus on building products as it allows for greater flexibility and growth. However, I need to continue the web design business for the foreseeable future as I have no other income streams as of yet.

Does anyone have any advice for running a service based business on the road? . Any advice is much appreciated :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What do you use to work out on the road?

by @jbroomeresearch 9yr 9 years ago  | 7 comments

Just made a list of a few of my favorite things when working out on the roadโ€ฆwould love to hear what other people are using! What do you use to work out on the road?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you make friends on the road?

by @fraserdeans 9yr 9 years ago  | 5 comments

Nomading can be a lonely lifestyle. Which is probably one of the biggest worries for people thinking about solo travel. However, nomading can also be a great opportunity for making new friends from different walks of life.

Where do you make new friends on the road? What kinds of places do you meet them? Any tips for finding like-minded folk?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
448ms