Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (625K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,924) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations ๐Ÿก  Interior AI ๐Ÿ“ธ  Photo AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you plan your budget with different currencies?

by @leonagano 8yr  | 8 comments

Hey travellers, how are you doing?

Do you have problems to plan your trip choosing any currency they want? For example, Iโ€™m going to the UK but would like to plan my trip (How much will I spend in housing/food/having fun/attending attractions?) in US Dollar or Euro or any other money.
How do you guys do it easily?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@lunchbag 4yr

Bringing this back from the dead with permissionโ€ฆ

My partner and I were tracking transactions in many different currencies in a DIY spreadsheet but it quickly grew tiresome and complicated.

So after earlier this year on my snow-mad journey in Fukuoka, Japan, I built Lunch Money (lunchmoney.app). It is nearing a full-featured personal finance tracker/budgeting web app at this point but at the core, every feature is built with multicurrency in mind.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Expensify will convert as it does OCR

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@lia9255 8yr

Not sure I understand the problem - are you asking how to plan spending or track it?
I just create an Excel budget spreadsheet in US dollars. There are lots of free online templates - I use vertex42.com. Then I convert any expenses planned or incurred in foreign currencies to USD using xe.com, allowing for a small variance in the actual exchange rate. You can use an app to track (Trail Wallet, Toshl) to track spending and then update your spreadsheet as often as you want. I only track the major expenses - lodging, transportation, food, insurance, student loan payment, etcโ€ฆand allocate a regular amount for incidentals.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@davidkeys 8yr

We use Travel Wallet - https://itunes.apple.com/app/id547171665?mt=8 - but I believe itโ€™s only available for iPhone.

The app allows you to enter a home currency, then add up to 5 currencies per trip. Set your budget in the home currency, then add the foreign currencyโ€ฆwith a tap of the summary screen, the budget will change to any currencies you added to the trip. Each destination is a trip for us.

The customizable categories (accommodations, restaurants, groceries) are great, so at the end of the trip we just download a CSV to do pivots, etc. There are columns in the CSV for local currency and foreign.

Hope this helps! Happy Travels. :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@jonnaro 8yr

I always make sure to track my spending in a multi-currency capable app like Toshl.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

No problems here. What currency Iโ€™m spending in really means nothing to meโ€ฆ

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@miles 8yr

Set the AirBnB currency to your home currency for lodging Qโ€™s. Can you afford 6 mo and a flight?

Then your budget is good enough!

Exchange a few hundred at the airport when you land and have more on youโ€ฆ Banks and currency exchange places are everywhere.

Have an ATM card and credit card in case and you are ready for hands on experience!

Then, Hustle harder once you arrive! :wink:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@don_lee 8yr

No, I donโ€™t see any problem with that. Sometimes I donโ€™t even know local currency and exchange rate until I arrive.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What features would you like to see on Nomad List?

by @levelsio 3yr 3 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi everyone,

I would love to hear what you'd like me to build next on Nomad List, or any other product/feature feedback ideas you have.

It's been 6+ years now but I'm in this for the long term and with the boost remote work got last year it's even more exciting to work on Nomad List than ever.

Current roadmap is here: twitter.com/levelsio/status/1363204985488572417?s=20 and pbs.twimg.com/media/EusS9PKXEAUR8xp?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

The next products/features I have planned:

- ๐Ÿ›‚ Rebase: visa, residency and immigration services for remote workers

- ๐ŸŽ“Courses: learn the steps how to go remote and travel/relocate

- ๐Ÿ› Gov liaison: diplomacy services to the governments to help us lobby for nomads and for them to attract remote workers

Thanks a lot!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the best places right now in the Caribbean/LatAM? (Also cheapest flights/accommodation?)

by @orangutan3 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

What are the best places right now in the Caribbean/LatAM? (Also cheapest flights/accommodation?) Asking from the US.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

List of Visa/Residency Information in Table/Spreadsheet format?

by @innovatelife 3yr 3 years ago  | 2 comments

As part of signing up for this website I was hoping I would come across a list of Visa and/or Residency requirements by country ideally in a table format to assist with decision making. Does anybody recommend any other websites that might present the information in this format (or Google Spreadsheet)?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Most Walkable Neighborhood / City In The World ?

by @dannybooboo 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

I love living in walkable areas of town. I can always find them. But now I'm wondering where in the world are the most walkable places? I'm imagining walk streets (no cars), zoning allowing both business and residential, parks or beaches ,etc.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any nomads in Arizona, US?

in Netherlands by @info132 3yr 3 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi guys,

After the Netherlands, the Bay Area, Colorado and being on the van life for 8 months, I am now in Sedona, AZ with a few other digital nomads. We are sharing a home here and are wondering if there are more like minded people in the area.

We do a bunch of hikes and campouts in the northern of Arizona. If you would like to connect with us, please do so :)

Val

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

International number & internet?

by @leobassam 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

Has anyone figured out a way to get setup with a virtual number and internet connection anywhere you go?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there any tax issues I have to be aware of?

in Germany by @clara 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Hi everybody. I live and work in Germany and want to go to Canary Islands for 6 months to work from there. I'm going to keep my current job, just change the "home" in the home office part of things. Are there any tax issues I have to be aware of? I was reading about becoming a residence after 183 days, thus having to pay taxes there plus my employer having to register there. Does anybody know how it works exactly? Thanks a lot!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Chiang Mai accommodation

in Chiang Mai , Thailand by @bertieb 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Can anyone recommend a good accommodation website for Chiang Mai?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is anyone travelling right now?

by @viktor 3yr 3 years ago  | 3 comments

Winter is coming and Iโ€™m feeling the ache of travelling after being stuck in the same place since the Pandemic started. Wondering if anyone is travelling right now? If so, where are you currently located and how is the situation where you are?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you track the total number of days you've spent in different countries?

by @gonchs 5yr 5 years ago  | 12 comments

How do you track a total number of days youโ€™ve spent in different countries during the past 12 months?

I find it to be important for visa and tax purposes to know how long and where Iโ€™ve been and Iโ€™m unable to find any software that solves this.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you manage working in different time zones?

by @clusk 5yr 5 years ago  | 12 comments

For those constrained by their businessโ€™ time zone, how do you manage this?

My home office is in Los Angeles โ€“ though I could swing anything in Central/South America, Iโ€™m looking at going to Lisbon or Chiang Mai for a bit. Both of them are >=8hrs difference potentially wreaking havoc on the work + social life + sleep split. This is a common question for nomads but there doesnโ€™t seem to be a lot of posting on the site about it.

What do you guys think? Any Americans working in Asia or Europe that does it well? I could likely negotiate with my supervisor to work in Eastern standard if I was in Lisbon/Europe, which wouldnโ€™t be too much of a stretch. Noon 'til 8pm. A bit more manageable than Chiang Mai or Bali.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to find a budget accommodation in Seoul for 1-3 month?

in Seoul , South Korea by @poppyjikko 7yr 7 years ago  | 7 comments

Maybe some of you know good tips ?

Thank you for helping.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best ways to get travel/nomad companions in different locations?

by @madelineb 7yr 7 years ago  | 24 comments

Hi,
Do nomads like to travel together? I mean, not in each otherโ€™s pockets, but look for accomodation together, meet with each other daily or regularly, help out in new cities, motivate/inspire each other in the business? :slight_smile: Iโ€™ve done nomad lifestyle in the past in 2009/2014 and this time I want to collaborate and support with other people, each on their own mission. I love this nomad endeavour but to be honest I admit it can be quite time-consuming and lonely. :wink:
*Message on NomadList locations?
*Message on Couchsurfing groups? (without sounding like Tinder!)
*Message on other??
Iโ€™m currently in Portugal and heading back to Estonia for January/February (Iโ€™m from Australia). Later in 2017 I am open to places, though Iโ€™m not keen on high pollution, high humidity, high cost cities.
Feedback, interest or ideas welcome!
Thanks, :sunny: Madeline

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What should I budget for a stay in *insert place here*?

by @gigigriffis 7yr 7 years ago  | 6 comments

Hey all!

Iโ€™ve been seeing a lot of budgeting questions floating around lately (not just here, but other nomad forums), so I thought it might be useful to start a thread where anyone who is sharing their nomadic budgets can drop a link (or the budget itself).

I know Betsy and Warren of Married with Luggage share theirs here: http://www.rtwexpenses.com/

My friend Ali isnโ€™t full-time on the road, but she shares real budgets for her trips: http://www.aliadventures.com/category/real-travel-budgets/

Anyone else out there sharing budgets for nomadic life? Please share your links below!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Living and working in two very different time zones

by @rwill007 8yr 8 years ago  | 4 comments

If you are living and working out of Thailand (UTC+07:00) but work with people in the New York EST (UTC-05:00) Time Zone, how do you deal / handle the time difference and still be able to enjoy or make the most of the experience without turning into a tired night owl zombie?

Better yet, what do you find to be the benefits / drawbacks of having to work on such a schedule? (specially in Thailand)

Any advice from those who have done it for a long time? (2+ months)

Thanks,
Will

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Blog recommendations for mid-budget nomads?

by @kathrynoh 8yr 8 years ago  | 7 comments

Pretty much what the title says, Iโ€™ve been trying to find a few good blogs to follow by nomads in the mid-budget range. There seems to be a ton in the budget/backpacker range, trying to do everything as cheaply as possible or, in the mid-budget range but are short-term travellers.

There does seem to be a lack of blogs in the mid-budget, long term travel area that arenโ€™t run by professional bloggers & full of sponsored posts. Am I looking in the wrong places or is it just that people in this niche are too busy making a living doing other work donโ€™t bother blogging?

I follow Making It Anywhere, which is good but not updated much. Any other recommendations?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Do foreign contractors get treated any differently tax-wise?

by @lightmotif 8yr 8 years ago  | 5 comments

Iโ€™m an American who has been a sole proprietor (freelancer) for a long time. Iโ€™ve occasionally hired American subcontractors, who I send 1099s in January. What do I need to consider tax-wise or in any other way financially if I want to hire a subcontractor from abroad?

Iโ€™m also interested in knowing more about any roadblocks potential clients from other countries would have in contracting to me. I havenโ€™t done business across borders yet. Thanks.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Anyone looking to travel with a group of entrepreneurs through some different islands in Thailand?

in Thailand by @marcob 8yr 8 years ago  | 0 comments

Hi Guys, we are looking for our final candidates for a co-work/adventure trip through several Islands in Thailand - mid/late February. Come join us?!?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Do you think there are different "tiers" of nomads? What kind of nomad are you?

by @marcob 8yr 8 years ago  | 26 comments

I feel I have come across different types or tiers of nomads, eg: you have your backpacker nomad and then maybe a more successful nomad that is travelling without worrying so much about budget, the two seem to resonate more within their own groups. What different tiers do you think exist, if any? How do you differentiate the different groups, and do they play well together?

Iโ€™m curious to hear your opinions, and please describe what kind of โ€œnomadโ€ you are when responding. Thanks.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
504ms