Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (647K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=6,007) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations ๐Ÿก  Interior AI ๐Ÿ“ธ  Photo AI โœจ  Applicant AI ๐Ÿ’Ž  Clarity AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you track the total number of days you've spent in different countries?

by @gonchs 9yr  | 12 comments

How do you track a total number of days youโ€™ve spent in different countries during the past 12 months?

I find it to be important for visa and tax purposes to know how long and where Iโ€™ve been and Iโ€™m unable to find any software that solves this.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@joshstraw 5yr

I use TripIt to store all of my travel plans, if you havenโ€™t downloaded it you should. Itโ€™s a totally free app which you then forward all your books to. It stores them all in one place, country by country. That way you know exactly what your reservation numbers are, the flight times, gate numbers etc. To answer the question directly, you know how long youโ€™ve been in a country also, as itโ€™s a full record of all your travel past, present and future.

Best of all, Tripit tracks flights. So when there is a gate change or delay, I know before anyone else. I think thatโ€™s included in the free version, although I get so much value from it I pay the 50 bucks a year for their pro version.

Hope that helps. Iโ€™m in no way connected to that company, just an avid user. Happy to answer any questions you have.

Joshua

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@flaper87 9yr

Love nomadtrips.

Iโ€™ve been adding some past trips to it and Iโ€™m wondering whether itโ€™d be possible to have it integrated with tripit so that ppl that have been using trip it can import trips from there.

Does this sounds like something ppl would like? Iโ€™d definitely use it.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@levelsio 9yr

Yep Iโ€™m planning that! Will be there in a few weeks I hope

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@levelsio 9yr

Iโ€™m making this right now: https://nomadtrips.co

It lets you set your trips and see if you have overlap with other people. It also supports importing from Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, TripIt (if you have location sharing on there) and you can also manually enter locations.

You can use it as a Nomad List member (so all of you can use it :D)

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@turboc 5yr

where can I access the calculator? I saw that as part of the features for joining nomadlist but I canโ€™t find it

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I use an app called Moves. It auto checks me into Foursquare locations, and does not require an online connection. It can be a hassle if my cellphone battery dies, though.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hey,

Itโ€™s not what it was made for, but you can try โ€œEsplorioโ€ (not sure what the rules here are about links, so being safe and not linking it :slight_smile: ). Btw, full disclosure: I am one of the founders

The web version lets you retroactively create trip summaries (includes countries youโ€™ve been to and time spent there) and diaries using content imported from foursquare, instagram, Facebook or twitter (if you have it, or posts have been location tagged).

The web version isnโ€™t as detailed as the iOS app (in beta, but if you like, I can send you an invite), which directly tracks these things using GPS. If you like, I can send you an example of a trip summary to show you what it looks like? :slight_smile:

Cheers

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@gonchs 9yr

I use exactly the same kind of spreadsheets for this.

Wondering how big is the market of digital nomads if it would make sense to make an app that would track your time in different countries automatically based on your geo-location.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@kroger 9yr

Iโ€™d use a spreadsheet, itโ€™s simple and you can use pivot tables to aggregate multiple entries in the same Country and Areas (such as Schengen). Hereโ€™s an example in Google Sheets (although Iโ€™d use Excel). The days column is calculated automatically. Check the โ€œBy Countryโ€ and โ€œBy Areaโ€ tabs:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LXH6rMbq23bHXb2pnq3bi3sqOHYxslq8iajKkJCqMuU/pubhtml

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@tkrunning 9yr

The Google sheet isnโ€™t public it seemsโ€ฆ

I use a spreadsheet as well for the countries that matter, which for me is Norway and the US. I saw a cool online tool for Schengen recently (built by someone in the community), Iโ€™ll see if I can track it down :smile:

EDIT: Not sure if itโ€™s what you were looking for, but here it is: http://www.visacountdown.com/

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Iโ€™ve actually just been thinking about this now that Iโ€™m going back to Schengen. I might try to put something together for it if nothing else exists.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I use a spreadsheet but itโ€™s only needed mostly for Schengen I believe. Thereโ€™s a helpful Schengen visa calculator which tells you how many days you can stay based on previous stays. You need to fill in the dates but Iโ€™ve found it very handy to control my entries and exits from the region.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you plan your budget with different currencies?

by @leonagano 5yr 5 years ago  | 8 comments

Hey travellers, how are you doing?

Do you have problems to plan your trip choosing any currency they want? For example, Iโ€™m going to the UK but would like to plan my trip (How much will I spend in housing/food/having fun/attending attractions?) in US Dollar or Euro or any other money.
How do you guys do it easily?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you manage working in different time zones?

by @clusk 6yr 6 years ago  | 12 comments

For those constrained by their businessโ€™ time zone, how do you manage this?

My home office is in Los Angeles โ€“ though I could swing anything in Central/South America, Iโ€™m looking at going to Lisbon or Chiang Mai for a bit. Both of them are >=8hrs difference potentially wreaking havoc on the work + social life + sleep split. This is a common question for nomads but there doesnโ€™t seem to be a lot of posting on the site about it.

What do you guys think? Any Americans working in Asia or Europe that does it well? I could likely negotiate with my supervisor to work in Eastern standard if I was in Lisbon/Europe, which wouldnโ€™t be too much of a stretch. Noon 'til 8pm. A bit more manageable than Chiang Mai or Bali.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Australians CAN spend more than 90 days in Schengen countries

in Australia by @uncompromise 6yr 6 years ago  | 4 comments

The Australian government apparently has bilateral agreements with a number of signatories to the Schengen Visa treaty that predate, and supersede, the standard 90/180 for traveling in the Schengen zone.

This Wikipedia article stipulates to the bilateral visa agreements:

According to this article, and some of the links Iโ€™ve followed to official documents, Australians are (potentially) permitted to travel within Schengen, and not have their stay in the following countries aggregate up to the 90/180, but be treated as separate periods, with the time permitted under the existing bilateral agreements.

Countries that appear to have bilateral agreements include:

• Austria
  • Belgium
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Iceland
  • Italy
  • Luxembourg
  • Netherlands
  • Spain
  • Norway
  • Sweden

In theory, this would permit an Australian passport holder to move relatively unrestricted around the Schengen zone for an almost infinite period.

For example, if I am permitted to be in Germany for 90/180, external to the Schengen treaty, I could, in theory, spend 90 days here, exit to Austria on the train, spend another 90/180, exit to The Netherlands by train, spend another 90/180, and then return to Germany, where my 180 days would have reset.

If youโ€™re an Aussie, and have been traveling in Europe without any formal visa documentation, other than your passport, Iโ€™d love to hear from you. Iโ€™m attempting to plan out the balance of my time in Europe, and donโ€™t want to fall foul with any officials. Getting a black mark on my passport would be highly undesirable.

Thanks in advance for your support

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I've got where 8 days to get from Tallinn to London - where should I visit?

in Tallinn , Estonia by @kaizenpreneur 7yr 7 years ago  | 3 comments

Iโ€™m heading to Tallinn next month to pick up my e-residency. Iโ€™ve built some time into my schedule, giving me 8 days or so to get from Tallinn to London for a meeting.

Looking for ideas on what route to take / places to visit or if there any good DN locations on-route.

One of my current ideas is to travel to Stockholm and take the train down to Copenhagen and then potentially the train down to Hamburg before train/fly to London.

But Iโ€™m open to suggestions and happy to fly or train it.

Thanks in advanceโ€ฆ

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where in Europe to settle for 90 or 180 days (fall - winter)

by @0frontiers 7yr 7 years ago  | 3 comments

am italian, speaking german, french, spanish.
Iโ€™m looking for a base for the upcoming winter season.
on my radar i have following options:

France = I love the country, speak its languge, enjoy its food, just the climate ainโ€™t most warm unless your in the deep south (good wines too)

Spain = After one year of living Mexico and speaking fluently spanish this rather new country could be very interesting, if not intriguing. Valencia probably on my top lists.

Italy = havenโ€™t been in Italy for a while, though iโ€™m italian. Generally very sociable country and if your not a tax resident the sounds of living in it is quite fascinating.

Greece = Never been there, food and climate would be probably very suitable if not super sweet. I can see my self overlooking the Agean see on a cup of wine while work is done stretching into sweet weekends.

Ukraine = I know bloody cold and politically tense, yet arguably cheap and still safe (iโ€™m used to Mexican standards). It would be a interesting ride for sure, and low expenses would mean easy route to stay competitive and build momentum in my business.

All other options are out of sight, UK , IRELAND are too cold and expensive. I would drink too much to feel sociable :slightly_smiling_face:

Where are you guys heading?
I have October, November, December to opt in , new year Iโ€™d probably HOP into a newer country, still EU-Bound โ€ฆ

Give me some pros and cons.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best ways to get travel/nomad companions in different locations?

by @madelineb 7yr 7 years ago  | 24 comments

Hi,
Do nomads like to travel together? I mean, not in each otherโ€™s pockets, but look for accomodation together, meet with each other daily or regularly, help out in new cities, motivate/inspire each other in the business? :slight_smile: Iโ€™ve done nomad lifestyle in the past in 2009/2014 and this time I want to collaborate and support with other people, each on their own mission. I love this nomad endeavour but to be honest I admit it can be quite time-consuming and lonely. :wink:
*Message on NomadList locations?
*Message on Couchsurfing groups? (without sounding like Tinder!)
*Message on other??
Iโ€™m currently in Portugal and heading back to Estonia for January/February (Iโ€™m from Australia). Later in 2017 I am open to places, though Iโ€™m not keen on high pollution, high humidity, high cost cities.
Feedback, interest or ideas welcome!
Thanks, :sunny: Madeline

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Places to stay in bangkok for a few days

by @elirang 7yr 7 years ago  | 5 comments

Hi ,
Im going to be in Bangkok for a few days and iโ€™m searching good places and not expensive price (around 25$ a day max) - iโ€™m thinking on airbnb flat/private room but iโ€™m seeing a lot of hotels/guest houses on this budget.

Do have recommendation on accommodation types/places based on your experience ?

I head that its common in hotels that there is constructions or loud noise from bars โ€ฆ

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where to find a coworking space in Sydney for a few days?

in Sydney , Australia by @keiththetraveller 8yr 8 years ago  | 2 comments

Hi Guys,

Iโ€™m visiting friends in Sydney for Christmas and am looking to hot desk for a few days. The dates are 20,21,22,23 December - the week before Christmas.

Iโ€™ve tried some coworkings but it works out really expensive for just four days. Does anyone know of anywhere I can try and hot desk for a few days for a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance,

Keith

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Living and working in two very different time zones

by @rwill007 8yr 8 years ago  | 4 comments

If you are living and working out of Thailand (UTC+07:00) but work with people in the New York EST (UTC-05:00) Time Zone, how do you deal / handle the time difference and still be able to enjoy or make the most of the experience without turning into a tired night owl zombie?

Better yet, what do you find to be the benefits / drawbacks of having to work on such a schedule? (specially in Thailand)

Any advice from those who have done it for a long time? (2+ months)

Thanks,
Will

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there any self-employed visas available in European countries?

by @oskar 8yr 8 years ago  | 15 comments

Hi guys

Does anybody know if there are special visas for self employed people in European countries? I dont have a European passport but i would like to stay a bit longer than the time allowed to tourists. I know Germany have some kind of visa but are there any other countries in the region? what about the UK?
Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the best AirBnB houses you've been in Europe?

by @carlien 8yr 8 years ago  | 4 comments

At the moment Iโ€™m scouting AirBnB for a good place to stay for september. Which houses have you been & can you recommend? Iโ€™m looking at all kinds of locations.

Thanks in advance!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Do foreign contractors get treated any differently tax-wise?

by @lightmotif 8yr 8 years ago  | 5 comments

Iโ€™m an American who has been a sole proprietor (freelancer) for a long time. Iโ€™ve occasionally hired American subcontractors, who I send 1099s in January. What do I need to consider tax-wise or in any other way financially if I want to hire a subcontractor from abroad?

Iโ€™m also interested in knowing more about any roadblocks potential clients from other countries would have in contracting to me. I havenโ€™t done business across borders yet. Thanks.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How safe are North African countries?

by @naii 8yr 8 years ago  | 5 comments

Iโ€™ll be in Portugal in June and think about exploring North Africa โ€” for the first time: Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Egypt.

If youโ€™ve beee there: How safe did you feel working remotely there?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Anyone looking to travel with a group of entrepreneurs through some different islands in Thailand?

in Thailand by @marcob 8yr 8 years ago  | 0 comments

Hi Guys, we are looking for our final candidates for a co-work/adventure trip through several Islands in Thailand - mid/late February. Come join us?!?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Has anyone spent time in Mongolia?

in Mongolia by @kirill 8yr 8 years ago  | 2 comments

Has anyone spent time in Mongolia? I wanted to stop through there for a short stay. More curious about accessability to uber, sim data, some basic things I would use to get around and for work.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Coming from a visa exempt EU country can I extend my stay in Thailand for 30 days or not?

in Thailand by @alexlielacher 8yr 8 years ago  | 3 comments

I have just been reading up on the new Thai visa situation and I am very confused as to whether I can extend my โ€˜visa exempt 30 days stay" by another 30 days at a local immigration office whilst already in Thailand or not? According to the Austrian Foreign ministry website I cannot but then several recently updated travel blogs say you can? And visa runs seem to be more or less out of the question now since the authorities are crackinโ€™ down on that since the Bangkok attacks?

Any EU Europeans had any recent experience with that? Just want to make sure I can avoid trouble.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the struggles you've encountered when picking a new place to visit and live in for a while?

by @andreadardon 9yr 9 years ago  | 10 comments

With my boyfriend weโ€™ve been traveling through Europe since July. We try to make a month at a time and the last place we got to was Cluj-Napoca, Romania. We soon realized that itโ€™s not a good place to find short term leases. Weโ€™ve usually done Airbnbs, but in that city they all seemed overpriced. After talking to some Real Estate agencies we found a place that we could rent for a month. They usually rent to students, but since itโ€™s the end of the semester, it could be rented for just that month. The apartment, however, didnโ€™t have internet.
We notice how hard it is to find places that will meet our โ€œdigital nomadโ€ needs: the city, if itโ€™s walkable, short term leases, fast and reliable internet, if it has a place to work like coworking spaces nearby, or if the apartment wonโ€™t drive you crazy if you stay in all day (in Spain every apartment we went to seemed to have construction going on somewhere close).
What are your struggles when finding a place in a new city?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Does the 30 days extension on the Visa Exemption count against the 90 days in six months rule in Thailand?

in Thailand by @gui 9yr 9 years ago  | 1 comment

My fiancรฉe(who is British) is on her second 30 days visa exemption in Thailand. Weโ€™re considering getting the visa exemption extension for 30 days and staying longer.

Our only worry is: Does this mean we would hit 90 days in total? We need to return in March to fly home from Bangkok. We are worried weโ€™d be refused entry in March as they might count the visa exemption extension against us.

Any advice is appreciated!

Cheers

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Do you think there are different "tiers" of nomads? What kind of nomad are you?

by @marcob 9yr 9 years ago  | 26 comments

I feel I have come across different types or tiers of nomads, eg: you have your backpacker nomad and then maybe a more successful nomad that is travelling without worrying so much about budget, the two seem to resonate more within their own groups. What different tiers do you think exist, if any? How do you differentiate the different groups, and do they play well together?

Iโ€™m curious to hear your opinions, and please describe what kind of โ€œnomadโ€ you are when responding. Thanks.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best tool to check different timezones?

by @marcusmeurer 9yr 9 years ago  | 25 comments

Have to set up a skype call and always wonder which is the best tool to check the time difference?
I have been on a site where the interface was nicely designed on a world map. Anyone know which one that is?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
510ms