How do you work out and stay fit on the road?

Pushups, pullups, crunches, dips, lunges, squats. All great exercises that are easy to do in a variety of environments. You can also change them up with different grips, extra weight, extra movements etc.

I travel with resistance bands in case I have difficulty finding a good gym, but the best advice is to adapt to your surroundings and try and get outdoors. I did a shoulder press/row/squat circuit in Split’s Marjan Park with 15kg logs and found a playground with a good dip setup. In Korcula I kayak’d 4 hours for 100kuna (like 13 euros). Another important thing to remember is that most gyms have discounts for morning/afternoon times, so if you set your day up the right way, you can work out cheap with less people hogging the machines.

1 Like

Here’s an unusual answer: negotiate gym access. I’ve discovered that resorts and hotels are often willing to provide you with a sample membership if you offer something of value that promotes them. Find a place that you feel great about, offer to help get the word out, and see what arrangement you might arrive at. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I find a gym. but body weight stuff is ok. i also rarely stay in hostels so space isn’t an issue.

Yoga is quite ubiquitous… And drop in classes (and new student specials) are ‘the norm’ vs. monthly/yearly contracts.

I second the suggestions to find a gym, but I would also add that it would probably be helpful to invest in a workout program from a trainer if you don’t already have one. I found that it’s easier to go to the gym while traveling when I have my workout schedule from my trainer back home, so I’m going in with a plan. It’s much easier for me to stay motivated when I’ve got a set workout. There are also several yoga studios throughout London and that would be a nice alternative to the gym some days, too.

Find a gym. In some places, it is easy to find nice housing that has a gym en suite.

Otherwise, I always bring running shoes. Hit the roads in the morning before the traffic starts - it’s a great way to wake up and to see a new city.

I like to have a program with pre-planned daily exercises, doesn’t require any equipment, and can be done indoors. I find anything that deviates from this is hard for me to stick to.

http://darebee.com/programs/30-days-of-gravity.html is what I’ve been doing this month and it’s been great.

2 Likes

Maybe try some apps that focus on short but intense exercises like HIIT? Lots out there. There’s also other apps for more basic guided workouts - I use Quick 4, Seven and Popsugar Active (for workout videos). I’ve done these in small rooms and it doesn’t require any equipment, just your phone :slight_smile: and I get a serious workout!

Aikido dojo in BKK, Systema classes in Prague, Self organized systema classes in Hanoi, Surf in Bali and hopefully self organized Systema.

+1 to fitness apps like freeletics.com, and YOGA. There are plenty of calisthenics exercises to engage all the muscle groups.

1 Like

Usually, I find the nearest gym to my AirBNB or apartment and just negotiate a short-term contract. I aim for 2 - 3 sessions a week combined with lots of walking. I’ll also try to find some form of fitness that’s relevant to the area I’m staying in (i.e Surfing, martial arts, etc).

For eating I just use Foursquare to find good places to eat (Vegan/healthy).

So far this combo has been working great and I’ve managed to keep my weight + strength stable for 7 months :slight_smile:

When we “settle” in a place (usually 2-3 months), I always sign up to a gym. I also travel with resistance bands which are super useful for at-home workouts. I also do a lot of bodyweight & functional training and do yoga everyday with help from YouTube :smile:

I’ve been doing bodyweight exercises following the “recommended routine” from reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine) three times a week at home and then go for a run on the off days…
You need exactly zero equipment, it’s free and you can do it anywhere. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I usually run every other day and work out in the days between. Nothing too extreme. 30 will go a long way. Youtube has tons of great videos, I really like this page: https://www.youtube.com/user/passion4profession Alot of good workout ideas that don’t require any equipment.

I also use the programs created by Neila Rey on darebee.com (as mentioned by @yanokwa as well). She has very good programs, and most of it is body weight training, so no equipment needed.

Walk everywhere. Find a park and go jogging/running. Bonus if you find a park that has workout stations for bodyweight exercises.

1 Like

I have been training for 10+ years and I am very skeptical of any training that is shorter than 40 min and it’s not repeated at least 3 times per week. I am also not sure what can an app do for you? Full body exercises won’t do either because you can’t really do all the fundamentals you need. The best thing is to find a gym. If you can’t find a gym, you can check sandbag training. Running will be good, swimming will be better though. But you need some type of weight exercise.

Finally, check what you eat! I can keep fit training very little nowadays simply because I eat well and I keep a very simple diet.

I use Black Mountain resistance bands, the deluxe edition…all you need is a door, they are tough and come with a nylon carry case, fits easily into my rucksack. I usually sign up for yoga classes at a local school as well, so I don’t feel like a hermit when I am in writing mode. I recently discovered running on the beach is an enjoyable experience.

Walked into a Golds gym in Surabaya and asked if they did day passes. Scored a free VIP pass!