Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (625K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,924) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations ๐Ÿก  Interior AI ๐Ÿ“ธ  Photo AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you work without multiple monitors? I can only carry a MBP 15"

by @tschentscher 9yr  | 39 comments

Hi Nomads!

Starting January 2016 Iโ€™m going to be starting a year as a Digital Nomad.
The last 5 years Iโ€™ve never worked with less than 2 monitors in front of me.
Sure, Iโ€™ve done some cafรฉ and hotel-room work. But all my biggest project has all been done in front of a stationary setup.

I do webdesign and development and have created a working habbit with several monitors on a large desk. Funny enough this is my biggest concern getting closer to January.

How do i teach myself to work from a 15" screen?
Do you find working from a 15" screen enough or do you have some kind of magical folding screen in your backpack?

If you have any ideas for me keeping a dual-monitor setup (The laptop being the first monitor) Iโ€™m all ears!

Regards! And thank you for this delightful Forum!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@yujin 8yr

I have been working remotely since 2004 so been able to test various approaches. My stays in any one location tend to last 2-3 months. So it gives me a bit more flexibility than someone who travels more frequently and might have less luggage. I have done 3 different things:

1. Buy a monitor locally - and then sell it when you leave. If I buy new, it tends to be $150-300 to buy. Sometimes I find a good used one. This is what I have done the most in my travels. It was great when CRT monitors started disappearing from places I visited about 6-7 years ago.

2. Carry two laptops. For part of my travels, I had two 13" Macbook Pro laptops. One was for backup, PC testing, and a second monitor.

3. I just started this, but I am finally seeing monitors that you might be able to bring with you. Starting to see a trend toward bezel-less monitors which will maximize viewing area and minimize monitor size. And I found one that has a detachable stand which has been the big issue fitting a monitor flat in luggage - HP Pavilion 22xw. I kept half of the styrofoam protection to prevent any damage to the edges during transit.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@mikenorth 8yr

I spent loads of money trying to solve this problem, and only recently found something that results in a productivity boost similar to what I get from using a pair of Thunderbolt displays vs. my 15" Macbook Pro.

I started with the GeChic 1502i, which has a couple of things going for it

Pro:

• Itโ€™s lightweight
  • It can be powered entirely by USB โ€“ meaning it draws power from the Laptopโ€™s battery, and optionally can be plugged into the wall.
  • Itโ€™s a true 1080p display

Con:

• It doesnโ€™t have an internal battery
  • The display is dim, relative to the amazing MBP retina display
  • Itโ€™s substantially bigger than the MBP, and thus doesnโ€™t fit in to a lot of cases that are designed for โ€œlaptops + extrasโ€ (i.e., my Saddleback Leather briefcase)
  • An ordeal to set up, particularly if you want to plug it into the wall
  • The screen is quite fragile โ€“ itโ€™s not glass, but rather a soft plastic that can be easily scratched

Over the past month, Iโ€™ve been using an iPad Pro w/ the โ€œDuet Displayโ€ app. Itโ€™s truly a game changer. The video signal being sent over a lightning cable instead of WiFi makes a big difference (no noticeable lag at all), and of course the iPad is a useful thing in and of its self (compared to the GeChic, which was useless on its own).

Hereโ€™s what my setup looks like:

Gotchas:

• Still a bit of an ordeal to set up. I get some looks in coffee shops when I go โ€œfull nomadโ€ and break out the second display
  • The iPad seems to still lose battery while being used as a display. Iโ€™m not sure if this is because it consumes more power than it can draw from the laptop, or whether it canโ€™t charge at all while being used as a display. In either case, youโ€™re limited by two batteries now โ€“ not just one (your laptop).
  • The OS X app and iOS app are not flawless. Sometimes you have to quit/restart in order to get a particular set of resolutions working properly. With a little fiddling, everything works and you can leave it alone :smile:
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@hjbarraza 8yr

Hey @michael_l_north
Iโ€™ve been using iPad Pro + Duet combo and Iโ€™m loving it.
Itโ€™s totally worth the investment. Nowโ€ฆ

I want to get a keyboard case for the iPad Pro, considering that weight and mobility is a priority, would you suggest any particular keyboard case ?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@jb510 8yr

Iโ€™ve traveled with an Asus MB168b+ for almost two years now and I love it.

No itโ€™s not as glorious as my 15" rMBPโ€™s screen, itโ€™s not great in bright daylight (like sitting outdoors) but itโ€™s totally serviceable as a second monitor and it does not pick up indoor glare from a window or office light.

Iโ€™m passing through the US next week for WordCamp US and I just ordered an MB169b+ delivered to a friends house in Philly. Iโ€™ll be publishing a side by side comparison of the two for anyone interested.

FWIW, specs say the MB169b+ is itโ€™s IPS and slightly dimmer, but also higher contrast. I would love it if it got brighter, but weโ€™ll see what it really looks like.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@kobekoto 7yr

@jb510 - What are your thoughts on the MB169B+ after using it for a year. Worth it?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@jb510 7yr

I love the MB169B+. I use it frequently. Pretty much any time Iโ€™m at a coworking space to work for the day I bring it with me. When Iโ€™m at a cafe or something like that I donโ€™t.

I also use it around the house some, like sitting on the couch and having it off to the side.

I like it so much that I ordered a MB169C+ to go with the 2016 MBP I have on orderโ€ฆ the 169C is here, but I canโ€™t use it for another week until the MBP arrives with USBC/DisplayPort. Iโ€™m going to do an update post that compares the MB168b+,MB169b+,MB169c+ once that arrives. I already have the 168/169 side by side (expect that on WanderingJon.com in the next 1-2 weeks)

Soโ€ฆ yeah, Iโ€™m still itโ€™s biggest fan.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@kobekoto 7yr

Appreciate the response. Just ordered the MB169B+.

Nice blog, btw.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Like @levelsio, I do find 1 laptop more productive due to focus.

But for those days when 2 screens just rocks it - tax time, invoicing/billing, anything that needs a big spreadsheet on one side and a browser on the otherโ€ฆ I default to 2 screens.

Hereโ€™s my setup.

• Macbook Air
  • Macbook Pro
  • ShareMouse KVM to tie the clipboard, keyboards and mice together
  • Apple Wireless Keyboard + SwiftPoint BT Mouse
  • The Roost Laptop Stand
  • Dropbox & Sync.com to sync up my folders
  • All my apps are cloud connected e.g. Evernote, Chrome

Why 2 laptops?

• Itโ€™s surprisingly compact What started this off was that I couldnโ€™t find a portable USB monitor as thin, let alone as rugged as a 13" MBA. I travel with just a single smallish carry-on bag, believe it or the extra laptops is so thin that I donโ€™t really notice it apart from the extra weight when moving between cities.

• Redundancy: I always have a backup laptop. Working like this also forces me to be backed up. Always.

• Multi-Platform and Multi-processor: Especially for devs / software testers, you can shake it up by running Windows on one and Mac OS on the other (VMs just bog your host machine down). On that note, Iโ€™m finding it handy to have an extra compute resources, on design days (I use Adobe Fireworks which is resource hungry), Iโ€™ll push off Chrome which sucks too much juice onto the other laptop.

• Versatility: On any particular trip to a cafe or coworking space, I can pick the Air for lightness, or the Pro for speed. I can also run the screens in a vertical layout to save carrying a keyboard and mouse (which is same bulk as a third laptop when you think about it)

##Loving it!
Iโ€™ve only just starting using this setup for a month and loving it, still fine tuning it. Most days I just take one laptop, and itโ€™s usually the Air. In future, Iโ€™m thinking to migrate to two Airs, an old cheap one, and a fast uber pimped out one, especially if the rumoured 15" Air comes out.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I use two Surface Pro 3s and connect the screens into a multi-display setup using Mouse Without Borders. Weighs 3.5lbs total, doesnโ€™t take up much spaceโ€ฆ and I say that as someone traveling with a single 26L backpack. It doesnโ€™t quite replace the 27" screen I had before I started traveling, but the resolution on the Surface Pros is very high, and they fit much much more than youโ€™d expect.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@gnefkow 9yr

I think the simple answer is: cut yourself off, youโ€™ll find ways to make do.

For me, Iโ€™m a UI designer, but switched over from Mc to a Surface Pro 3 (which I love).

Both Mac and Windows have different ways to compensate, but they both involve a lof of hot keys, gestures, etcโ€ฆ

Mac:
Spend some time learning and customizing all of the swipe gestures. Magic Mice are wonderful (I miss mine dearly) because the swipes are built into the surface so you can use Expose to quickly switch between programs and three-finger swipe to keep things on multiple (virtual) desktops.

Windows:
Windows FINALLY has multiple desktops and there are hotkey combinations to switch back and forth and I use Alt+Tab a lot to switch between applications.

There are a lot of tips and tricks for each, but at the end of the day youโ€™ll never learn them unless you have to, so just cut the rope and plan to be miserable for a week or so - itโ€™ll get better.

As so posture, I donโ€™t usually travel with a stand because it takes up to much space, but Iโ€™ve learned that I can usually find ways to get my โ€œmonitorโ€ up to where I want it in most places.

People will think youโ€™re weird, but your back and neck will thank you.

I always remind myself that you canโ€™t have both - which would you rather have, screen real-estate or a lighter suitcase?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

This is my first Nomad excursion - Medellin. I downsized from a 15 inch lappy to a 13 incher. But I brought along an AOC 15 inch usb monitor. It is cheap, super light and indestructible, After using this setup for 6 weeks, I would not travel without the 2nd monitor.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Checkout Slide 'n Joy for up to 2 extra screens for your laptop. This is what I would get to use on my 17 inch laptop, yes 17 inch. I have tried to work on a 15 inch but it just doesnโ€™t work for me and since I travel with a big ass camera bag that can hold a 17 inc laptop the decision was pretty easy.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Wow. Just wow. Thank you all!

Iโ€™ll update this thread when landing in Bangkok in January - with how I end up setting up.

Iโ€™ve already preordered the Roost2 (Of course). That sound as a must-have for traveling lightly.
The ASUS-addon Iโ€™ll have a closer look at.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

hahahhah so there are others like me that feel the pain :smiley:

Personally I need 6 monitors. Well need is a strong word lol, but the other monitors are for things other than coding. That being said though, levels raises a great point. Focus, constraints and not screwing yourself over with context switching is a huge thing. That being said, 2 monitors is about the sweet spot so you can have web + work open at the same time.

I need that home base purely because of this factor :smiley:

That 15" screen though will be pathetically tiny. I dont think I could ever fully adapt.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@mario 9yr

Im getting a asus potable mon un the next couple of weeks.

https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/MB168BPlus/

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@rico 9yr

I am anxiously waiting for THIS: Portable Rotating Dual Monitor for Laptops

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@karel 9yr

Iโ€™ve given this subject a lot of thought. I used in the past a 15" with an external 27" screen for a while and then switched to a 13" only for the last 3 years. In the past year, Iโ€™ve tried couple things to increase my screen real estate. Here is my experience.

As mentionned by @levelsio I think that multi screen is often a disctraction but there are some tasks that are really nice with two screens. A common one for me is to have the web inspector on one screen while previewing how the design really look fullscreen in the browser. All that to say that I learned to not depend on multiple screens but appreciate it once in a while.

I think there are two things that matter when using external screens. 1/ The posture and 2/ the screen real estate.

1/ The posture

I decided not compromise on the posture because when I only have my laptop, I tend to work a lot in the couch which is terrible for my neck and back. Even when I work on a desk, I have to look down. And anyone that worked on a standing desk with only a laptop knows how terrible it is.

So I currently travel with a stand and wireless keyboard/trackpad. It is heavy (~700g) but is totally worth a healthy back (except when you carry them). You also have to know whether you will be always on the move and backpacking or traveling slowly and stay longer in every place. I tend to do the second, making the extra weight totally acceptable.

For the stand, I currently have a cheap one from Amazon. It works decently well but is not very solid and must be handled with care. I also backed the Roost 2 on kickstarter, I should have it by the end of the year but havenโ€™t tried it (or the first one). For the keyboard/mouse, I have the apple ones. You might want a mouse if you do some cad, retouching or gaming though.

What I like is that i can reproduce a desktop-like setup anywhere, both on a sitting or standing desk. Talking of which, I tend to alternate between the two when I can. If possible I buy a Yoga Ball to sit when I arrive in a new place (they are rather inexpensive, 20-40$). I then give it to someone that wants it.

2/ The screen space

The first thing here is to have a retina display. I used it for a long time with the โ€œmore spaceโ€ setting but it is rather small and recently switched to a slightly lower resolution. I have an iPad mini that I use as a second screen once in a while, attached to the screen with a Sidecar. I tried the Mountie, it is nice but I recommend the Sidecar over it. I sometime also simply drop it on the keyboard like that:

What I can say is that the iPad mini is really small and even with Duet Display (the best option I found), there is a slight lag and you really need to focus to see whatโ€™s on the screen. I donโ€™t find that to be a viable option if you need a permanent second screen. I only plug it when I really need it. It might be better with the iPad Air but I havenโ€™t tried. Iโ€™m also thinking of trying with the new iPad Pro since it would be both a wacom tablet and a second screen. But it adds even more weight and is pretty expensive for a second screen!

Update: I forgot to say, I like Better Touch Tool for window management, and it is free. Another tip for mac user is to disable screen reordering based on usage since it gets in the way of maintaining a mental map of your screens.

I hope it will be helpful to some of you. Happy travels!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

If thereโ€™s a tiny piece of advice I can offer you is install a window manager, like Spectacle. It will save you so much timeโ€ฆ

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@fire 9yr

I got the gechic 15 inch portable display and i really like it

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

As other commenters have said above, the key is virtual desktops (and, I find, especially the โ€œAssign Toโ€ function which constrains certain apps to a particular desktop, allowing you to stop different tasks from overlapping visually) and then mastering all the keyboard shortcuts to switch between apps and desktops effortlessly.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@gideon 9yr

Kantong knows whats up. 13" retina pro is the ideal travel computer. Dial the scaling down and you have plenty of real estate. Learn your shortcuts for changing screens and switching between windows. Use a program like Divvy to quickly split the screen. You donโ€™t need extra screens to do the work. They are just a crutch.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@kantong 9yr

Resolution is king. Iโ€™m currently using a 13" MBP Retina with the Retina display scaling turned on. Using the display scaling you can almost get a 1080p resolution on the tiny 13" screen. Great when you need a lot of screen real estate. Iโ€™ve found using the retina display scaling with spaces/virtual desktops has replaced the need for 24" dual screens. When using dual screens, youโ€™re only ever looking at one screen at a time anyway. Instead of turning your head, youโ€™re switching your virtual desktop. Ctrl+left and right arrow keys makes it quick and easy to switch. Iโ€™m also using hyperdock (similar to sizeup levels mentioned earlier) to snap apps to either the left or right half of the screen using keyboard shortcuts.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@jpleboeuf 9yr

A few companies (among them: Asus, Lenovo) offer portable external displays using the DisplayLink technology - have a look at the Asus MB168B+.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@ldarcy 9yr

Note that ASUS just introduced an IPS version on this monitor (MB169B+) - 168B+ is a TN one, I think.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@jpleboeuf 9yr

Yes, I saw that the other day - Asus MB169B+.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@rumurphy 9yr

I have the Asus MB168B+ and it is an absolute game changer when out of your office or traveling. Get a separate compact stand as the one it comes with is clunky.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@tvr3000 8yr

Jealous, Iโ€™m in SEA and have been tyring hard to buy it here somehow. Bali, Bangkok nor Singapore had it. Also canโ€™t order it to Bali here, at least not without an Indonesian bank account/CC : (

Asus MB168+ (even the 169+) seems like a perfect solution for the DNs who need 2 monitors.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I think youโ€™ll find the Asus monitors to be disappointing. The resolution is jarringly low compared to the screen on modern laptops โ€“ I found it difficult to have text and display elements be different sizes depending on which screen I was looking at. Also, the hardware doesnโ€™t feel substantial enough to survive much travel โ€“ with a fully loaded backpack there was an uncomfortable amount of flexing. Maybe if you sandwich it between two rigid objects.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I did not know about this. That Asus looks very nice. Thanks for sharing :smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@eddie 9yr

Man I think some of you have been spoiled haha :smile:

Been using 15 inch laptop screens for the last 8 or so years. Before that I had a 17 inch CRT monitor back when I had a desktop. Never really experienced anything larger except for a few times using a school computer, and have never used a dual monitor before. So to me 15 inches is pretty normal.

I have a friend who has a 13 inch laptop and that thing is tiny!!! I feel like you lose soo much space and had to squint to see stuff haha. Must be how some of you feel losing your dual 24 inch monitor setup.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Man, I feel that pain. I have a 13 inch Air (I7, 8G RAM) as a mobile coding solution, and it works well (with an external mouse, preferably). But when Iโ€™m back at the base (currently Calcutta), Iโ€™m on a Mac mini with two 1080p 24 inch LCDs. The Air is higher specโ€™d than my old mini, but thereโ€™s no comparison in terms of productivity. Iโ€™d add a third screen if I could.

I recently broke one of the LCDs. Even following online tutorials is a pain when you have to switch workspaces or switch apps to toggle back and forth between the two. I can squeeze an open browser and two terminal windows into one LCD, but adding, say, Sublime either means making everything microscopically tiny or switching to another workspace.

I may give Duet a shot one of these days. Iโ€™m also thinking seriously about picking up a stand-alone 13 or 15 inch external screen for laptops; I suspect I can squeeze a very thin one in with the laptop in the Pelican backpack.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@levelsio 9yr

Super great question.

Until 2013, I had been working on multiple monitors on a huge self-built PC tower with 24GB RAM, 6 hard drives, two graphic cards, an external audio DAW card (I was making music back then), like as maxed-out as you can go. It even had a backup battery, like completely insane:

Then I wanted to travel and replaced all of that with a maxed-out MacBook Pro 15".

It was a very lucky timing because since then most of the stuff on that big PC, you can now do easily with a MBP 15".

About the multiple monitors, here comes to the crazy part: Iโ€™m a lot more productive on one screen than two or three. Why? I think itโ€™s because Iโ€™m forced to focus more on what Iโ€™m doing. Before Iโ€™d have lots of different apps open because the multiple screens LET me do it. Now I have to choose what to open and itโ€™s a constraint.

I think constraints are GREAT for creativity and productivity.

When I first switched for a year I would maximize all windows and use the 3/4-finger swipe to move from screen to screen. You kinda then have multiple monitors again. But that swiping takes a second or so which is too long for me. So now I have everything on one screen again.

I use one app to make it similar to multiple screens called SizeUp, it lets you resize windows to 25% or 50% of your screen and lock it to the left and right. Really useful.

Anyway, Iโ€™d recommend it. A great example is @mengto whoโ€™s a great UX designer and switched to a 15" screen too: Hi, Iโ€™m Meng To, author of Design+Code and world traveler. AMA!

By the way I tried Duet Display to have my iPad as a second screen with Mountie, honestly it worked great. Thereโ€™s 0 delay and latency. Itโ€™s just that I ended up being more productive on one screen, that might be personal. I also like simplicity and sold my iPad to carry less.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

By the way I tried Duet Display to have my iPad as a second screen with Mountie, honestly it worked great.

Fully seconded. Duet works quite well on my iPad mini. I tend to leave either my command-line window or a chat app open on it.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

You would be in for a treat with a dual-monitor-setup ;-).
I really can get more done this way. I just hope this changes in a couple of days :smile:

Using a HDMI with a TV or my iPad as second monitor are good tricks! Thanks.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

suck it up buttercup. :slight_smile: Iโ€™ve yet to work with more than one monitor or on a screen larger than 13" and clearly the world didnโ€™t end as a result.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@richardh 9yr

Google Avatron Software Air Display โ€” turn your iPad or Android tablet into a computer monitor as I canโ€™t post URLs.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@don_lee 9yr

I do web design & development too. I used to have a set up of a desktop and 3 monitors back home, but now the only things I have are a 15" Macbook Pro and a Logictech G602 mouse. It wasnโ€™t so comfortable but I got used with that just after a few days, still gets work done perfectly. Iโ€™ve been even thinking of changing to a Macbook Air to even travel lighter. If you want yourself to be mobile then you must mobilize everything you have first.

However some coworking spaces have external monitors and you can rent one to use if you need it. You can also use the TVโ€™s in hotels, just remember to pack a HDMI cable. I personally work fine with only the laptop.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@don_lee 9yr

Time to say goodbye to your comfort zone!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I really had that one coming ;-).

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What features would you like to see on Nomad List?

by @levelsio 3yr 3 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi everyone,

I would love to hear what you'd like me to build next on Nomad List, or any other product/feature feedback ideas you have.

It's been 6+ years now but I'm in this for the long term and with the boost remote work got last year it's even more exciting to work on Nomad List than ever.

Current roadmap is here: twitter.com/levelsio/status/1363204985488572417?s=20 and pbs.twimg.com/media/EusS9PKXEAUR8xp?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

The next products/features I have planned:

- ๐Ÿ›‚ Rebase: visa, residency and immigration services for remote workers

- ๐ŸŽ“Courses: learn the steps how to go remote and travel/relocate

- ๐Ÿ› Gov liaison: diplomacy services to the governments to help us lobby for nomads and for them to attract remote workers

Thanks a lot!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the best places right now in the Caribbean/LatAM? (Also cheapest flights/accommodation?)

by @orangutan3 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

What are the best places right now in the Caribbean/LatAM? (Also cheapest flights/accommodation?) Asking from the US.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

List of Visa/Residency Information in Table/Spreadsheet format?

by @innovatelife 3yr 3 years ago  | 2 comments

As part of signing up for this website I was hoping I would come across a list of Visa and/or Residency requirements by country ideally in a table format to assist with decision making. Does anybody recommend any other websites that might present the information in this format (or Google Spreadsheet)?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Most Walkable Neighborhood / City In The World ?

by @dannybooboo 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

I love living in walkable areas of town. I can always find them. But now I'm wondering where in the world are the most walkable places? I'm imagining walk streets (no cars), zoning allowing both business and residential, parks or beaches ,etc.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any nomads in Arizona, US?

in Netherlands by @info132 3yr 3 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi guys,

After the Netherlands, the Bay Area, Colorado and being on the van life for 8 months, I am now in Sedona, AZ with a few other digital nomads. We are sharing a home here and are wondering if there are more like minded people in the area.

We do a bunch of hikes and campouts in the northern of Arizona. If you would like to connect with us, please do so :)

Val

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

International number & internet?

by @leobassam 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

Has anyone figured out a way to get setup with a virtual number and internet connection anywhere you go?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there any tax issues I have to be aware of?

in Germany by @clara 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Hi everybody. I live and work in Germany and want to go to Canary Islands for 6 months to work from there. I'm going to keep my current job, just change the "home" in the home office part of things. Are there any tax issues I have to be aware of? I was reading about becoming a residence after 183 days, thus having to pay taxes there plus my employer having to register there. Does anybody know how it works exactly? Thanks a lot!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Chiang Mai accommodation

in Chiang Mai , Thailand by @bertieb 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Can anyone recommend a good accommodation website for Chiang Mai?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is anyone travelling right now?

by @viktor 3yr 3 years ago  | 3 comments

Winter is coming and Iโ€™m feeling the ache of travelling after being stuck in the same place since the Pandemic started. Wondering if anyone is travelling right now? If so, where are you currently located and how is the situation where you are?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Anyone up to explore some city which is kinda virus safe?

in Bangkok , Thailand by @germanrobert 3yr 3 years ago  | 2 comments

Hello World!

I'm an experienced Digital Nomad and after being in Lockdown in Bangkok and Germany for one year I would like to team up with someone to visit a new place. Or just doing some exchange about what destinations would be interesting currently.

I take the virus seriously and still I think we can still be able to take our life in our own hands. So I'm aiming for cities/countries which are not in full lockdown, are not too complicated about immigration (I'm looking at you Thailand, your state quarantine costs like 1k USD and is basically a prison) and is also rather safe regarding the virus. I tend to stick for rather big cities and like culture. I'm not a beach or nature person. I'm pretty flexible about the money topic.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Holร  ! What's the internet / wifi situation in Sayulita ?

in Puerto Escondido , Mexico by @ambroisedebret 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

After being told it's unworkable in Puerto Escondido, looking for alternatives :)

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to find accomodation in Las Palmas, Canary Islands

in , Spain by @philippg 3yr 3 years ago  | 2 comments

Hi, we are trying to find a house to rent for 2-3 persons near Las Palmas for 4-5 months at the moment and it seems to be almost impossible except through Airbnb which is super expensive. Any advises or local contacts?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

If you're American but live in Guatemala, do you still count as American for travel purposes?

in Guatemala by @chasindreams 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

What I mean is, for example, since most of the EU has banned Americans, if I live in Guatemala and will be traveling FROM Guatemala to the EU, could I get in? Or does the ban count for all Americans regardless of where they live?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Ukraine Residency

in Ukraine by @reticle 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

I have a slightly above average US income which I can work remotely from paired with a $1000 a month income stream and more than enough to purchase a middle end Flat in Ukraine. Does anyone with knowledge of this process have any advice to acquire a reliable way to stay in the country?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are co-working spaces a good way to meet people in a new city?

by @donaldbough 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

My fiancรฉe and I are most likely moving to NYC (maybe DC) in August, and as a technical startup co-founder I'd love to meet new people that are also into startups. Would joining a co-working space be worth the money to do this?

I work for a big tech company that has an office in NYC, but it's mainly sales so I wouldn't be able to meet others that are related to any of my 9-5 work or likely into tech.

If co-working spaces, post covid of course, aren't a good way to meet business starting people in a new city, what is?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there any digital nomads in the Islands e.g Bermuda, Barbuda, St. Kitts and Nevis?

in Antigua , Guatemala by @momo11 3yr 3 years ago  | 3 comments

Does anyone ever travel to any Islands like Bermuda, Barbados, Barbuda and St. Kitts & Nevis?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is La Gomera a nice place to stay?

in Norway by @kvarsten 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

Hi, my name is Eric and I am a remote worker from Norway. Me and a friend is flying into Gran Canaria on Friday and spending two weeks in San Agustin on the south side of the Island.

After that we are pondering about staying in La Gomera. Does anyone of you have an experience staying there or are there anyone of you staying there now? :)

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is there a map of countries open for travel now?

in Russia by @vernon99 3yr 3 years ago  | 8 comments

I have two passports from different countries and am trying to understand where can I travel now. Is there a publicly available map of countries open for visitors by passport country that I can use to see what are my options? I was pretty sure such a thing should exist, but cannot easily find any.

Maybe at least there're maps for specific passports? Mine are Russian and American.

If there's no such thing, I'd be down to build one, let me know if interested to collaborate :)

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any good coliving or other monthly rentals in Seville?

in Seville , Spain by @antoine_th 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Hello Everyone

I'm planning to stay in Seville for 6 weeks for mid January - end of February. Do you any recommandations for a coliving or a place to live in?

Thanks ๐Ÿ™

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are restaurants, cafes and malls working in Mexico City taking into account COVID situation?

in Mexico by @thateverdmitriy 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

I am planning to travel to Mexico City next weekend and stay for 7-10 days there. I wonder if cafes, stores and other places like these work? And if cafes work, do they work as usual or only for take away&delivery? Will be very thankful if someone can help here.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
501ms