Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (625K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,924) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations ๐Ÿก  Interior AI ๐Ÿ“ธ  Photo AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How far in advance do you usually make travel plans?

by @hannahvictorius 9yr  | 17 comments

Iโ€™m starting to make plans for September, and was just wondering how far in advance people tend to book things (flight/accomm), or does it depend on the situation.

I know Iโ€™d like to be in Croatia and return to the UK around a certain time, so I guess Iโ€™m not being that flexible. However, I am curious to see how others travel.

Do you end up booking flights only days in advance? How have you found this in terms of value and booking earlier?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@dhamm 9yr

@Don_Lee This exact reason (fear of boredom) has me indecisively scanning between different AirBNB places until a few days before leaving, but I like to book monthly as itโ€™s usually easier on the budget.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I usually stay in a place for a few months and arrange my accommodations via Airbnb. Because I book via Airbnb, I usually need to make arrangements 3-6 months in advance. This gives me time to negotiate the price with the host and to find an apartment that is vacant for my whole trip.

Airbnb isnโ€™t really feasible for longer stays if you donโ€™t book at least a few months in advance.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@don_lee 9yr

I made a mistake before that I booked an apartment on AirBnB for 1 month, the apartment was great but staying there 1 month bored the hell out of me, as I realized there were better places I could have stayed instead. So I learnt and book only weekly now, still find good deals, more than that it helps me stay in and know more places.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Weโ€™ve been lucky since weโ€™ve tried to avoid high seasons, but I think itโ€™s important to remember that plenty of owners will happily cancel someoneโ€™s 3-night stay if it means theyโ€™ll have someone there for 3 months, so I try and check once without my specific dates to make sure Iโ€™m not overlooking a canโ€™t-miss flat.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Weโ€™ve been booking flights/accommodation about 2-to-4 weeks in advance. Iโ€™ve had more success negotiating monthly rates (AirBnB) as our arrival time gets closer and the transportation costs donโ€™t fluctuate enough to sacrifice the flexibility you get from waiting a bit longer.

What Iโ€™ve done so far is narrow down our next city to about 3 cities one month in advance and start contacting owners to negotiate and have a test Skype call (I teach English on Skype so I like to connection speeds above 10Mbps).

Once we find a place and deal that we like more than the rest, we book our first month stay and then book our flights/trains/boats/etc.

It worked well in Barcelona, Zagreb and Split, specifically the first two as we were staying longer and were able to view other apartments in person before booking our remaining 2 months stay.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I usually stay in a place for 3+ months, and I have a lot of places that I want to stay in for this amount of time. A lot of the moves are based on visa expiry so the moving date is very predictable, meaning that I can decide where Iโ€™ll go after and know already when I will go. These flights tend to be long haul so Iโ€™ll just set up alerts maybe 6 months before itโ€™s due, watch the prices and buy when it seems good.

And when Iโ€™m in a place then thatโ€™s my home for those months, but itโ€™s also a base that I can use to explore. Those trips I usually will semi-plan, they will be short haul flights or buses, staying in hostels, etc, and I will book these things 0-3 days before I go. Iโ€™m usually not working when I do these (weekends, taking time off) so that I can pack more into what is usually a short amount of time. When I get back home to my base then Iโ€™ll resume all of that.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@harrivain 9yr

This makes a really interesting read. Iโ€™m definitely the bad planner, spontaneous type. Iโ€™m still not really nomadic, but this applies to my life already. I tend to book my trips very late. I lose some money, but it makes me flexible. For me that matters more.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

These answers are really interesting. Thanks :slight_smile:

Itโ€™s cool to see how everyone has a slightly different approach. Iโ€™m excited to try and book something spontaneous next time, once Iโ€™ve eased into this lifestyle a bit more. Thereโ€™s something incredibly freeing and empowering about rolling the dice and seeing where it lands.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@don_lee 9yr

When I have to go, I check around to to look for a cheap flight ticket to anywhere thatโ€™s listed on NomadList, then I book it and go few days after. I hate making and sticking to plans, it gives me stress and I donโ€™t feel flexible and comfortable with that.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@kathrynoh 9yr

I plan way, way ahead. Not to get cheaper airfares (but it does work for getting cheap as train travel in Europe) but because I like to know what Iโ€™m doing. Also, for the rest of this year I have to be in certain places at certain time - Iโ€™m housesitting for a friend next month and there are a few things on Tokyo at the end of the year so Iโ€™ve planned around that.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@miles 9yr

My wife and I plan somewhere between 1 and 3 months before, usuallyโ€ฆ But we generally only plan a place for the first couple weeks/month and try to stay as long as visas let us, whether that is 60 days, 90 days or 180โ€ฆ

We arrive with some plans and a place to stay at first, but lots of open time to adapt/check out other parts of the country and to look for a locals deal on a medium term place.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I love the few days approach. Has it ever screwed you over in terms of accommodation pricing, or do you tend to travel to places out of season/shoulder season?

My boyfriend works from home full-time, so Iโ€™ll be flitting back and forth. Handy being a European with a British passport though.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

itโ€™s bitten me on the ass a couple times. like recently I ended up in Dubrovnik on Easter weekend so paid a TON for lodging. but most of that has to do with me not paying attention to holidays and days of the week. :smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

usually a few days. maybe a few weeks. I find usually flights arenโ€™t significantly more expensive and the benefit of the flexibility is worth occasionally paying a little more. i used to plan in advance but after one trip where i planned everything and used 0/5 flights I booked I donโ€™t do that any longer.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@levelsio 9yr

Usually a week or day before, I know itโ€™s a bit short. But I like just going wherever I want whenever I want. Itโ€™s harder know Iโ€™m dating somebody though :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Does she travel with you @levelsio? Or you need to travel back to her when your visa allows entry again?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@levelsio 9yr

Yes! We travel together. Sheโ€™s Korean so she can stay in EU for 3 months, so best way is just to keep moving around together.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What features would you like to see on Nomad List?

by @levelsio 3yr 3 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi everyone,

I would love to hear what you'd like me to build next on Nomad List, or any other product/feature feedback ideas you have.

It's been 6+ years now but I'm in this for the long term and with the boost remote work got last year it's even more exciting to work on Nomad List than ever.

Current roadmap is here: twitter.com/levelsio/status/1363204985488572417?s=20 and pbs.twimg.com/media/EusS9PKXEAUR8xp?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

The next products/features I have planned:

- ๐Ÿ›‚ Rebase: visa, residency and immigration services for remote workers

- ๐ŸŽ“Courses: learn the steps how to go remote and travel/relocate

- ๐Ÿ› Gov liaison: diplomacy services to the governments to help us lobby for nomads and for them to attract remote workers

Thanks a lot!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the best places right now in the Caribbean/LatAM? (Also cheapest flights/accommodation?)

by @orangutan3 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

What are the best places right now in the Caribbean/LatAM? (Also cheapest flights/accommodation?) Asking from the US.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

List of Visa/Residency Information in Table/Spreadsheet format?

by @innovatelife 3yr 3 years ago  | 2 comments

As part of signing up for this website I was hoping I would come across a list of Visa and/or Residency requirements by country ideally in a table format to assist with decision making. Does anybody recommend any other websites that might present the information in this format (or Google Spreadsheet)?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Most Walkable Neighborhood / City In The World ?

by @dannybooboo 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

I love living in walkable areas of town. I can always find them. But now I'm wondering where in the world are the most walkable places? I'm imagining walk streets (no cars), zoning allowing both business and residential, parks or beaches ,etc.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any nomads in Arizona, US?

in Netherlands by @info132 3yr 3 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi guys,

After the Netherlands, the Bay Area, Colorado and being on the van life for 8 months, I am now in Sedona, AZ with a few other digital nomads. We are sharing a home here and are wondering if there are more like minded people in the area.

We do a bunch of hikes and campouts in the northern of Arizona. If you would like to connect with us, please do so :)

Val

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

International number & internet?

by @leobassam 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

Has anyone figured out a way to get setup with a virtual number and internet connection anywhere you go?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there any tax issues I have to be aware of?

in Germany by @clara 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Hi everybody. I live and work in Germany and want to go to Canary Islands for 6 months to work from there. I'm going to keep my current job, just change the "home" in the home office part of things. Are there any tax issues I have to be aware of? I was reading about becoming a residence after 183 days, thus having to pay taxes there plus my employer having to register there. Does anybody know how it works exactly? Thanks a lot!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Chiang Mai accommodation

in Chiang Mai , Thailand by @bertieb 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Can anyone recommend a good accommodation website for Chiang Mai?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is anyone travelling right now?

by @viktor 3yr 3 years ago  | 3 comments

Winter is coming and Iโ€™m feeling the ache of travelling after being stuck in the same place since the Pandemic started. Wondering if anyone is travelling right now? If so, where are you currently located and how is the situation where you are?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Advice on phone plans? 1 year in Europe

by @larsheather 5yr 5 years ago  | 8 comments

Weโ€™re Americans planning to be in Europe for all of 2020 - approx. 90 days in each country, and alternating Schengen and non-Schengen. Our destinations will likely include four of these: Italy, Croatia, Bulgaria, Estonia, Ireland, Romania, and Spain.
Can anyone give us advice on cell phones? We would prefer to keep our current (U.S) numbers if at all possible. We donโ€™t anticipate making many local calls, but will phone the U.S. about once a week. Weโ€™ll use our phones for internet quite often.
Any advice for our situation would be very much appreciated!
Thanks,
Heather and Lars

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Could you give me advise on my travel plans?

by @louieb 9yr 9 years ago  | 2 comments

Hey everyone! Love the site!

Iโ€™m from Amman, Jordan, Iโ€™m currently a senior university student (one semester left!), and I also work as a part-time software developer at a Jordanian based semi-distributed company. My plan is to stay as a full-time remote employee after I graduate.

Iโ€™ve been researching the Digital Nomad/Location Independent lifestyle for about a year now and was thinking about becoming a full DN after I graduate in the summer.

I was thinking about going to Europe for about 90 days (visa limit) and making Germany my first destination. The benefit of this is that Iโ€™ll visit a dear friend of mine whoโ€™s studying there, and explore parts of Europe that I havenโ€™t been to before. After Europe I plan to go back to my country and then leave for Turkey for about 90 days (visa on arrival).

I know that a major reason for becoming a DN is that you get to have a first world country salary and live in a low-cost country, and obviously to explore new places youโ€™ve never been to before.

After thinking a lot about this plan, I have come to a conclusion that I wonโ€™t benefit as much from the salary difference, Iโ€™ll be paying most of my salary on living expenses rather than on travel and savings.

My question is (sorry for taking too long), should I keep living in Jordan and take a long trip to Europe once a year, or do you advise on doing something else?

Thanks for you help :smiley:

Update: Jordan is very cheap in terms of living-cost.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
391ms