How many destinations did you plan prior to leaving?

Hello everyone,

Just wondering how many destinations you planned prior to leaving your home country. Did you attempt to obtain visas for all these?

i don’t need visas for most of the places I go so that’s not been an issue. since you don’t say where you’re from, can’t comment on whether it’ll be an issue for you. Personally, i’ve learned not to plan too far ahead. it just stresses me out and most times it doesn’t work out. so, i just roll with it and plan a few days to a few weeks in advance. the exception is when i find a super good flight and jump on it.

I’m from the US but am reading that for some countries you must apply for a visa from within your home country; doing so from an embassy wouldn’t be possible. Does anything know if this is true?

With a US passport, most of the world is open to you just showing up - either no visa required or visa on arrival. There are a few exceptions of course, but I can’t think of any off the top of my head where you would have to apply for a visa from your home country. Just a couple of examples from my own personal experience:

1. Russia requires a visa - I applied for that in the UAE
  2. India used to require a visa - I applied for that in New Zealand
  3. While Taiwan doesn’t require a visa for stays of 30 days or less, they also offer a 60 day tourist visa. I applied for that in Hong Kong.

Since you are from the US your best resource for researching entry requirements of various countries is http://travel.state.gov