How to find a job in Argentina or Brazil?

What’s the best way to find a designer or developer job for one year in Argentina or Brazil?

I’m thinking about traveling super slow - 1 year per country.

What would be the best strategy to find full-time work in South America (Argentina, Brazil, Chile)?

Anyone did something similar?

@podviaznikov I think the best way would be to look for a remote job regardless of where the actual people that hire you are, you can be in Argentina and they elsewhere, I think a good start would be at remoteok.io

This way I also think you will get paid more then a local Argentinian business can pay you.

As a Brazilian, some things:

Development in Brazil is usually done in Cheap. Freelancing is mostly done through Networking and pay is short. If you get a job at a bigger company, maybe you have a shot at earning more, and I can refer you to good places, but usually it’s intense, at least 40 hours a week, and the pay is not really great, especially when considering US companies paying for remote Jobs.

If you still want to work with a brazilian company, you have a startup ecossystem in the three southernmost states (Better pay, better flexibility), lots of big, rigid companies in São Paulo (Some with better pay, some with more flexibility, usually not the same ones), and a lot of opportunities pretty much everywhere else (Small businesses, freelancing, pr agencies and even some startups etc., usually lots of hard work for low pay, with very rigid structures, or freelancing DIY).

As for Argentina, do not work for an Argentinian company. The country is in a pinch, and it’s looking awfully bad right now. Earn from somewhere else and it will be a breeze, get you pay in their currency and you may find yourself in financial trouble pretty soon.

Thanks for all the information. Then there is another question: how to move to Argentina or Brazil for 1 year without getting working visa from the local company?

Since it’s my country, I thought it would be nice to help translate some of the information, so here goes:

You may come to Brazil as a tourist and stay for 180 days a year on multiple stays, never for more than 90 consecutive days.

Having a “Stable Union” with a brazilian partner gets you permanent residence (So, living together with a boyfriend or girlfriend, even for same-sex relationships). Investing R$ 150 thousand ( US$ 50,000.00 to US$75,000.00, as the Real is fluctiating between 2 and 3 for a Dollar. The real tends to stabilize at around 2 Reais for a Dollar and sometimes falls beneath that, so keep that in mind).

All temporary “work” visas are pretty awful and need a company to “stand by you”. One apparent exception is if you intend on teaching a language, which apparently makes it easier. The most usual apparently is valid for 2 years and it costs 100 Euros. Student visas may bring you trouble with taxes, not sure if worth it, especially considering low cost and how “open” Brazil is to immigration. Try calling a brazilian consulate and ask away if you have somewhat of a plan. :smiley:

One important thing to notice is that Brazilians are really receptive to immigrants, even illegal ones. May be not everyone will love you, but generally Brazilians do not see immigrants as “stealing their jobs”, and the laws and government also make it pretty easy because we see it as something good for the country.

Thank you! That is very close to what I thought: either get student visa (for language courses), or get work visa from local company, or invest money.
Language courses are good option for me. I’m interested in that. But I was also curios about working visa.

I am from Argentina, and I highly recommend you to work remotely if you are planning to come here.
A Argentinian company will paid you a insignificant salary if you compare it with a US Company. A normal salary can go from 9000 ARS to 16000 ARS ( 750 USD to 1300 USD ).
Anyway, if you need to work here you can check for work at bumeran.com.ar

I don’t know how visas works for foreign people, but if you need to refresh it and you are in Buenos Aires, you can just take a ferry to Uruguay and come back in the same day.

I lived and worked in Brazil for 3.5 years without a proper visa (I have 3 passports, so I went in and out of the country every 3 months) by working as an English teacher at an independent school (the large ones ask for work visas) and as a freelance editor, writer and translator, mostly at Time Out São Paulo. I have friends who overstayed and didn’t have any problems, Brazil doesn’t really look for illegal immigrants/workers, so if your plan is to stay there for 1 year and then leave, I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Your overstay fine isn’t due until you return to the country and expires after 5 years, so as long as you stay out for that long, you won’t have to pay. Even if you do return, the max fine was R$800 last I checked (about 225 euros).

As for finding work, start at the InterNations, Couchsurfing and MeetUp meetings and network your ass off and you’ll make the contacts you need in no time.

Thanks @juan for a lot of information to think about!
I have a friend who also just stayed in São Paulo without proper visa.

I wouldn’t work in Argentina. If you don’t have a work visa, you’ll get terribly underpaid jobs that are basically meant for foreigners who coming for 6-12 months and have a lot of savings to live off of. If you get a work visa and a real job it will still be super low pay. It’s a better place to either work remotely in a foreign currency, or just go for a sabbatical with plenty of savings and just enjoy daily life. It’s a pain to work there. If you work downtown, it’s more stressful than Manhattan.