Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (625K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,924) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations ๐Ÿก  Interior AI ๐Ÿ“ธ  Photo AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to find business partners as a nomad?

by @digital 8yr  | 17 comments

Hi everyone,

Starting in May 2016, Iโ€™m taking a year and a half abroad to work and develop my online businesses. Iโ€™m making more than 10k dollars per month at the moment from mainly 2 revenue streams. It works well but we all know how things change fast online - thatโ€™s why Iโ€™m always looking to launch new businesses.

We all know how the team is important in each profitable business. Thatโ€™s why I would like to meet other nomads to launch online projects together.

Iโ€™m more a digital marketing expert and have as well some web design + web development skills. My ideal vision will be to rent a house at 3 or 4 (a programmer, a designer, a marketer and an operations/sales expert for instance) and work together on new online projects (eCommerce, saas, or anything else that can be profitable). We can even be more in the house and would work on other/more projects. Because the team will probably be international, our projects can have a quick international scope (Iโ€™m French and I speak English and Spanish as well). We would change our location every 2/3 months to enjoy the nomadโ€™s life :smile:

Do you find my proposition interesting? According to you, how can I improve it?
Or, do you know any other way to find business partners as a nomad?

Thank you very much for reading me,

Best,
D.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I am very much interested in joining this venture! I have been looking for the same thing!!!
Please contact me. I have lots of travel experience and lots of online experience as well as a masters degree in a behavioral science, pro photography and video work which are all good for your readers and those experiencing your website. :slight_smile: Lets go! :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@dhunter 8yr

wondering whatโ€™s going on with this treadโ€ฆ Iโ€™m in TH since a few weeks and if anybody is also in TH let me know. I still have a good idea to startโ€ฆ

thanks, Daniel

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hi there,
What a relief to stumble over this post.
Iโ€™ve been wondering where to find others with the same idea.
Iโ€™m a redhead danish viking. From April on, I am good to go.
Let me know about latest news or write me at [email protected]
Cheers

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@marcob 8yr

Hi D,

Very interesting. I am working on exactly this with 3 other digitals { one web/branding guy, one writer and an engineer/trader and myself as a marketer/business developer/web consultant}, we are currently travelling through Thailand looking for the โ€˜perfectโ€™ place to both invest and create a hub from which to create more/future businesses with a larger group or team of people. I plan on spending a couple months abroad working remotely with a team of talented individuals. We may even purchase/build 1-2 villas on one of the islands we liked out here.

I am also working on building a co-living space (12 long term units + 6 short term rooms for travelling entrepreneurs) back in Chattanooga, TN, where I currently reside. Email me @ [email protected], would love to brainstorm some more with you since we seem to be resonating on similar wavelengths.

Cheers,

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@jacobjay 8yr

@digital I just saw an opportunity in informally connecting local professionals/freelancers whilst providing a base for nomads, to benefit from more โ€˜stableโ€™ relationships (both working and personal). But this was before the DN/LIP movement got going so I wasnโ€™t specifically working with these profiles (although I was myself and they did emerge as a matter of association). However this time around Iโ€™m going to tweak my approach and target DNs better, but how that works remains to be experimented with.

On a simple practical level, recognising the intrinsic nature of oneโ€™s partners is the single most important element, i.e. if they are inclined to be flighty, move a lot, jump opportunitiesโ€ฆ it wonโ€™t help to pin them down. But how do you know? Thus the โ€˜trying outโ€™/getting to know.

I am myself only just starting to look at the kinds of businesses that play to the strengths of being a digital nomad, however Iโ€™m really more interested in the models and architectures of systems rather than the money and markets so hell, what youโ€™re talking about I would myself probably benefit from.

Coworking spaces alone probably arenโ€™t ideal for sourcing potential partners, which is why I like your idea of having a dedicated space (as with my model, if fixed), but perhaps running it more as a program or โ€˜fellowshipโ€™, into which interested people can apply, try out, and maybe graduate as a partner. Iโ€™ve actually been playing with the idea of a cooperative for a wider scope, but maybe yours leads to coownershipโ€ฆ nonetheless recruitment is always an overhead for a business. Minimising its investment isnโ€™t recommended, look at how large corps are now investing in โ€˜labsโ€™ and internal coworking space to avoid being left behind. If anything we cary more risk from market change by being independent so we can either carry on by pivoting, or build resilience (and expand opportunity) through teams.

We arguably have access to an immensely flexible, capable and innovative network, but itโ€™s that very flexibility that could be an operational issue unless you can incorporate and reward it. Maybe by starting multiple businesses you would be.

Camps and other such events might be better than cowo spaces as participants are typically looking to learn/join/pivot in some manner and you could be the catalyst or enablerโ€ฆ and in a good position to evaluate their immersion.

I would also be inclined to suggest a distributed team that gets together regularly for camps to work on specific targets and build inter-personal capabilities, rather than attempting to keep a nomadic team together for longer. When I do otherโ€™s projects (on contract) I much prefer creating a base and having local talent there whilst I carry on taking trips away and leaving them to it, but Iโ€™ve never worked directly with other nomads who it seems would always be in less of a simple employer-employee arrangement (with its risk).

This is all philosophical. Keep talking to more people and see how it goes, as @arman said, being open and clear wth your intentions will certainly help maximise any potential you encounter. Personally, and as a nomad, I value my independence (yet not always!), worse, as a long-time tech professional (20yrs) I am now quite selective about what projects I take on. However as the DN community grows there will be more and more people who prefer to work and grow as a team. Indeed continuing to try and do this independently is almost self-destructive. Thereโ€™s definitely something in leveraging this. @levelsio is just launching โ€˜matchmakerโ€™, and I wouldnโ€™t be surprised if down the line could incorporate projects/biz partners. There are other platforms doing that to some extent alreadyโ€ฆ I canโ€™t remember which right now but not necessarily aligned with this community if that transpires to be of importance.

@arman I saw you mentioned Morocco, Iโ€™m planning on doing a nomadbase there, Iโ€™d love to hear of your experience interacting with existing and potential LIPs and entrepreneurs, and indeed attitudes of people visiting, if any?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@arman 8yr

Thanks for the mention @jacob. Actually when I went to Morocco it was a trip to completely unplug, so no laptop, phone or work just hanging with locals. Iโ€™ve heard a lot of great things about the growing digital nomad community there but really cant comment, I can tell you its one of the most beautiful places to visit, people are incredibly nice, you have to visit chefchauen if you go and transport is relatively good (if you can speak frenchโ€ฆ). Hope that helps!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@arman 8yr

Posting on channels like this, the hashtag nomads channel, facebook groups, reddit digital nomad community and so on with a clear message as youโ€™ve done is the best way to find others to work with.

Iโ€™d definitely recommend test trailing people first, seeing if its a good match through joint work/projects before fully committing to anyone though. The last thing you want to do is commit to someone you really know nothing about, heres 6 tips on picking the right co-founder but applies to anyone on your team really.

I met my co-founder while travelling in Morocco, it naturally happened and we first exchanged clients and work with each other to see how we collaborated and then realised we weโ€™re a great match so started our business together and relationship together.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@dhunter 8yr

sounds like a start-up without a fixed location. I really do like this idea. I had the same idea in mind. Iโ€™m from Switzerland and doing consulting in controlling, organisation and sales. Iโ€™m making also more than 10k per month, but my business is actually something absolutly diffrent from the most of the DN people. I agree with Jacob as itโ€™s not always easy to find people with the same mindset or even more important the same bussines-minds.
Iโ€™m in SEA from mid of April until mid of May. so, starting with a mind map group in a co-working space could be a good option like Jacon recommendad.
Actually I have already a few business ideas in mindโ€ฆ

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@digital 8yr

Hi everyone,

Iโ€™m very happy that a lot of you are interested. I invite you to send me a private message with your email address so that I can create a slack where weโ€™ll discuss this opportunity.

I think you might be right @jacob. Yes, we could start by going in coworking spaces so that we get to know each other. You seem to have experience in building projects with other DNs, what other experiences can you share with us?

Thank you everyone,

Cheers,
D.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@sylow 8yr

Hello all,

I really like the idea of teaming to develop. I have been thinking how I can validate and develop ideas that I have, with people completing me and work together to make it ours

I am a web developer. I have been to several startup events and I agree with @jacob that team that gets along and is passionate about the product/idea is very important for the success.

PS: I am in Chiang Mai from 1st of March for 3 months.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@jacobjay 8yr

Love the idea, not least as I was in a similar situation and did a startup house in India, however my motivations were different โ€ฆ more about building a serendipitous community rather than working on specific projects with specific people.

Which I think is where you might have issues, how will you know you want to have these people committed to a room and working with you, without giving it a trial first?

Maybe pick a few people to get to know each other properly for a few weeks before nailing down a team. Or keep it informal, and have more turnover, some people will stay, or rejoin, others will leave. Or each role/room would remain open with different people joining for a bit until a fit is found. Maybe even donโ€™t take a house until a full team is matched, and visit existing startup/coworkation/coliving houses until then, youโ€™re more likely to find good people in them too.

Iโ€™m mostly a software and design guy (mucking around since '95) but I want to keep meeting interesting folk and keep opportunities open so Iโ€™m planning to open another startup/nomad base (in Morocco) later in the year, as I do genuinely think thereโ€™s something in the approach not to mention thereโ€™s plus points in working with other DNs :smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@marcob 8yr

great feedback @jacob you bring up some very valid points. Doing a trial run is critical, I am more about generating the community with a larger #, say 10-12, and letting people naturally engage on projects together. Focusing on a project immediately can be challenging as you may run into interpersonal issues with others, best to know someone first.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@axlos 8yr

Hello,

That sounds really amazing, Iโ€™de like to know more about it. Iโ€™m a software developer with more than 9 years of experience, Iโ€™ve had the opportunity to work with many clients around the world โ€œremotelyโ€, but Iโ€™d like to run my own project while I live in different places.

Feel free to send me a private message to talk more deeply about your proposal.

Thanks,

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@shefali 8yr

Hi, I am planning to roam around India and nearby countries and work on some startup. Are you interested in travelling India?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@digital 8yr

Hi Shefali,

Of course, I would be glad to hear more about your plan! Just send me a private message so that we can know each other better.

D.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

This is very interesting. What geographical region do you have in mind? Are you open to a variety of places?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@digital 8yr

Hi Jason,

Thanks for answering :smile:

Preferably a cheap place with great internet access, I donโ€™t really mind where exactly in the world even if Iโ€™d like to visit SE Asia and Central America.

Are you interested? Do you think my idea is feasible?

Cheers,
D.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the best blogs by individuals who have started businesses in Southeast Asia?

in Thailand by @haiducii 4yr 4 years ago  | 0 comments

Hey everyone,

Looking for blogs by individuals who document their progress/business in South East Asia - ideally Vietnam, Cambodia or Laos - but also Thailand/Myanmar too.

Thank you,

Haiducci

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any Ph.D students dissertating while a digital nomad?

by @larsheather 4yr 4 years ago  | 5 comments

Anyone know of any groups or resources for Ph.D. students working on dissertation while living as a digital nomad? I know there are several virtual writing groups around, but wondered if there were any specifically for digital nomads, particularly those who are dissertating.

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you invest internationally as a nomad?

by @mateuszwieloch 4yr 4 years ago  | 17 comments

I have finally saved enough money to start investing. What company gives good, diversified access to stock, ETFs and mutual funds? Does it make sense to use company like Vanguard or Fidelity for that? Iโ€™m a EU/Poland citizen, how would I transfer my money back and forth without incurring significant fees?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I dream of being a digital nomad? How do I do it?

by @programmingmark 4yr 4 years ago  | 2 comments

Hello digital nomad!

I dream of being an independent digital nomad. But it feels very elusive & unattainable with my success rate. In full disclosure, whilst I have dreamed about making money online since high school; I have not earned a single cent making money online. $0, nada, zilch!! On the contrary, I have spent a lot of time & money on books, podcasts. Even though I have spent a lot of time reading/listening to others, I do not have anything to show for it!

I have made attempts in the past to start an online business, but these fizzle out quite quickly when I do not see traction especially when the goal I have set myself is too high.

Instead of reaching for the ultimate nomadic lifestyle goal, I want to start much smaller. Really small! I am simply looking to make $50 profit per month from a new online business. Thatโ€™s it.

I need some advice from you please!

• Is $50 profit too low? How long did it take you to earn $50 profit per month?

• What is a good way of achieving this goal?

Thanks
Mark
aka the $0 online business entrepreneur

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Do you "out" yourself as a digital nomad?

by @larsheather 5yr 5 years ago  | 2 comments

When you meet new people or reconnect with old friends, do you โ€œoutโ€ yourself as a digital nomad? The simple question โ€œwhere do you live?โ€ makes us uncertain now. We wonder if some places may be less welcoming to digital nomads, or if โ€œdigital nomadโ€ has a negative connotation in some places. If you are forthcoming from the start, does your status as a digital nomad make it hard to form friendships?

We would love to hear how other people navigate thisโ€ฆ how to balance being authentic in relationships vs. withholding the context (and allowing people to assume youโ€™re on vacation, for example).

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the best bank account for a global nomad?

by @barrybjjoubert 5yr 5 years ago  | 25 comments

Dear all
As a wanna be nomad figuring out a way to get free of the rat race, I was wondering what is the best bank account to have while travelling the globe? I need an account where is easy for me to receive payments from all over the world and it also need to be a bank that I can find almost anywhere in the world. I want to avoid carry cash on me if itโ€™s possible.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Recommendations for UK/Scotland accountants that understand remote businesses?

by @eduardoyi 5yr 5 years ago  | 1 comment

Looking for recommendations for reliable accountants who understand how remote businesses with off-shore freelancers and clients work. Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Ko Lanta or Ko Phangan - which island is better for a digital nomad?

in Ko Lanta , Thailand by @melinda 5yr 5 years ago  | 6 comments

Iโ€™m currently in Penang, Malaysia and I was thinking to head to Thailand next. What are the best islands in Thailand to get some work done? I was considering either Ko Lanta or Ko Phangan because those both islands have coworking spaces. I might need to take some client calls, also video. Is the wifi good enough? Are there any other differences between the islands?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the best place to incorporate an online business?

by @octave 5yr 5 years ago  | 63 comments

I have an commerce website. We get around 1000 orders per month and this is going to get quite a bit bigger in next few years.

I am British. I live in Thailand.
Im not allowed to majority own a Thai business and small foreign entrepreneurs are not really welcome. So i need an offshore company.

I need PayPal and an ecommerce internet merchant account. Also looking at alternatives like worldpay. 2checkout etc

Does PayPal need me to be a resident to the country i register my account to? Are there complications being a non resident to get other payment solutions?

Apparently in Hong Kong you need 2 years trading history to get an Internet Mechant Account and they generally turn their noses up at those with less than $1m(us) a year turn over. Singapore seems a bit easier.

I really want to avoid paperwork and book keeping. I hate it.

So i was looking at Seychelles, Panama, BVI, Belize.

Does anyone have experience with payment providers in these countries?

Most nomads i see donโ€™t really have a high volume of small monthly transactions which i do. Im going around in circles and donโ€™t know where to start.

Ill also need a bank account for business and a personal bank account to pay my salary into

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where should I register my company as a digital nomad? Singapore, Hong Kong?

in Singapore by @raphadk 5yr 5 years ago  | 14 comments

Hey guys, hereโ€™s a question Iโ€™ve been asking nomads I meet everywhere, but still havenโ€™t found good information. My startups mostly focus on american and european markets but I donโ€™t have a registered company, nor I live permanently on any of these countries.

I get the cash payments online in paypal (or adsense) and transfer it to Thailand (or Malaysia, or Bali, or Brazil, or wherever Iโ€™m at). The thing isโ€ฆ for low volume living expenses it seems fine, but as I scale the business, Iโ€™m starting to think more and more about fiscal law.

A fellow nomad told me to transfer it to Singapore, Hong Kong or The Virgin Islands, and then use an international credit card anywhere. I donโ€™t know if itโ€™s the best way to optimize thisโ€ฆ any ideas?

Also, could there be any problems in selling to these countries without a registered local company?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Foreigner owned Coworking business in Malaysia

in Malaysia by @newyam 5yr 5 years ago  | 0 comments

Heyo folks! The idea to open up an own coworking space in Malaysia has been on my mind for quite a while and I would like to reach out on foreigners being a business owner/co working space owner in Malaysia, there are a lot of questions that would follow up but most importantly is to reach out to someone with experience.

Ideally would be someone who runs a coworking space in Malaysia, second best would be to just come in touch with a foreign business owner in Malaysia.
Cheers
Yamin

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is there a US bank for easily creating new business checking accounts remotely?

by @tylertringas 5yr 5 years ago  | 23 comments

Every accountant is going to tell you that you really should be keeping separate accounts for all your businesses and even projects that may one day become businesses. But in my experience setting up a new account associated with an actual business entity is a pretty annoying process involving an in-person visit to a bank branch, proof of residence in that branchโ€™s region, etc. Has anybody seen a bank that letโ€™s you easily create a simple business checking account online and more importantly that would let you add additional accounts and transfer funds between them?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where to stay in Budapest as a digital nomad?

in Budapest , Hungary by @pparma 6yr 6 years ago  | 2 comments

HI, Iโ€™m from Argentina: new to Nomad List, and to digital nomad life in general :slight_smile:

I want to travel to Budapest on March for two months, can anyone recommend
the best area to stay?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you manage your location independent business as a Nomad Entrepreneur?

by @vzablocky 6yr 6 years ago  | 3 comments

Iโ€™d like to invite nomad entrepreneurs in this topic to discuss what are the challenges you face in filing taxes, insurance and banking complications, while travelling and running your business remotely.

Please share your thoughts! I would be happy to help!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you receive physical mail as a digital nomad?

by @danielgenser 6yr 6 years ago  | 81 comments

Does anyone have recommendations to handle physical mail? In the USA, Iโ€™ve noticed various services over the years where you get a physical address that you can change your address to, they receive your mail, scan stuff and send you PDFโ€™s.

Has anyone used these types of services? Impressions?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to become a digital nomad?

by @levelsio 6yr 6 years ago  | 1 comment

Hereโ€™s a sticky guide that Iโ€™ll keep updating with a clear path towards becoming a digital nomad as this is one of the most common questions asked.

MONEY
Get a remote job
Remote jobs aggregator :point_right: https://remoteok.io
Work From Home aggregator :point_right: https://wfh.io

Become a remote freelancer
Remote freelance agency :point_right: https://toptal.com
Another remote freelance agency :point_right: https://x-team.com

Build a remote business
???

PLACES
Find destinations to go :point_right: https://nomadlist.com/cities
Travel guides :point_right: https://wikivoyage.org
Travel guides (for SEA) :point_right: https://travelfish.org
Research cost of living :point_right: https://numbeo.com

Places to Work :point_right: http://placestowork.net
Coffee places to work :point_right: http://workfrom.co

GEAR
Packing list :point_right: http://www.carryology.com/insights/insights-1/packing-list-of-a-digital-nomad/
Nomad List #gear channel :point_right: https://nomadlist.com/chat/_gear
Nomad List Gear :point_right: https://nomadlist.com/gear
SIM cards :point_right: http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Prepaid_SIM_with_data

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you manage your money as a nomad?

by @visualista 6yr 6 years ago  | 2 comments

Hi, let me start by saying iโ€™m an idiot when it comes to these things. I know all the infos are out there and Iโ€™ve been reading posts here as well as googling lots of blogs to find answers but there are just so many details and personal aspects that it leaves me dizzy! Iโ€™m hoping for a kind soul to share his/her wisdom with me in simple words. Bear with me while I try to wrap my head around this:

I NEED: 1. to be able to get payed by international customers in Dollars and Euros mostly 2. A way to get to that money with a debit/credit card for online payments and ATMโ€™s in whatever local currency needed (thinking of heading to Bali next)

I AM: newly nomadic designer working with platforms like 99designs and upwork as well as some direct clients. I have swiss citizenship, but am no longer resident there, or anywhere else.

I HAVE: 1. A swiss bank account (UBS) with CHF and no credit card (for savings not to be touched). 2. A spanish bank account (Deutsche Bank) with EUR with a debit and credit card for backup money. 3. A Paypal Account.

The plan is to earn the money I need to live monthly and put it into a spending account and only touch the others (CHF/EUR) if I didnโ€™t make enough money.

So far Iโ€™ve come across these options:

1. Paypal
    I already have a paypal account and It does some of what I want. Except Iโ€™d have to transfer my online money to my Euro Account to spend it with my spanish credit card. Which sounds like a lot of fees. Blog posts about nomad finances all seem to say paypal is an expensive option.

2. Open Local Bank Accounts / Use Butcoins
    I would like the simplest solution possible. Opening new accounts for every country sounds like too much paperwork (which I hate with the intensity of 100 hell fires). Bitcoins? Iโ€™m already confused with all the real currencyโ€™s involved please donโ€™t bring in digital onesโ€ฆ

3. Payoneer
    Biggest plus: It is integrated in the platforms I work with (99d & Upwork) so I can pay out my earnings really simple and supposedly cheap. They also give me a Mastercard to spend that money and multi-currency โ€œbank accountsโ€. But Iโ€™ve read really mixed reviews about it so I donโ€™t know what to think of it in the end.

4. Revolut:
    Seems to be just what I need. You get a Mastercard and . It seems like they have really low fees, good exchange rates and no ATM extra-charges? I read some good reviews (except customer service which seems to be terrible with both Payoneer and Revolut). Customers can pay me directly with the multi-currency bank accounts but I would have to find the best way to bring my earnings from 99d and Upwork into here (I read about a guy that uses payoneer to send money to his Revolut? Is anyone using a similar setup?)

5. Travel Credit Cards
    Iโ€™ve read about those who are suposed to have low fees and no ATM-charges, have not done any research yet.

So this is what my research brought up. Is there something I missed? Seems like getting to your money is harder than actually making it xD
Does anybody with a similar situation have personal experiences and clear suggestions on this topic?
I canโ€™t seem to make up my mind between payoneer and revolut. I also read about Transferwise bringing in their own credit card but could not find any infos from them? I would really appreciate your inputs because as mentioned I find this all quite overwhelming and would love an easy solution that involves the least amount of paperwork/effort (even is I loose a few cents here and there if not possible otherwise)

Thank you all!!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there cards similar to the APEC Business Travel Card that Europeans are eligible for?

by @dpt 7yr 7 years ago  | 3 comments

I heard from an American friend that he has several cards similar to the APEC Business Travel Card (link to Wikipedia ) that allow him to get priority treatment at immigration line in certain countries.
I was very intrigued and quickly checked up on the card, but it seems to be only available to citizens of APEC-member nations.

I was wondering if anyone here uses such cards, what your experiences with them are (specifically, Iโ€™m interested in cards available for Europeans/Germans).

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do I open a business account in Hong Kong? Proof of business?

in Hong Kong by @omar 7yr 7 years ago  | 6 comments

Hello guys, I was wondering if anyone had any experience in opening a business bank account in Hong Kong. Iโ€™m getting all the paperwork ready to incorporate in Seychelles and open the bank account but the agency that is helping me says Hong Kong bankers are getting more picky. They are asking me for business โ€˜proofโ€™ since iโ€™ve always ran my sites as an individual I wonder if just proof of payment from ad networks is enough. If you have any advice it would be much welcomed.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is anyone here an "investor" nomad?

by @gizmocaca 7yr 7 years ago  | 22 comments

Hi. Newbie here.
Wondering if anyone here has expertise in being an โ€œinvestorโ€ nomad where you travel and live off investment income? Iโ€™m contemplating fleeing the rat race and wanted to throw out a few thoughts and ideas.

Have a UK passport so donโ€™t get taxed on worldwide income whilst non-resident.
Iโ€™m thinking of residency in Malaysia (MM2H) or Philippines (Retirement visa).

In terms of generating tax efficient income:

• HK, Singapore and UK donโ€™t withhold tax on equity dividends or preference shares
  • USA doesnโ€™t tax capital gains (but has nasty estate taxes on equities) for non-residents
  • USA debt securities (CDs/corp debt) do not withhold tax (w8-ben)
  • USA based p2p lending should be same as debt securities asset class hence no withholding
  • Eurobonds do not withhold tax on interest payments (look to have a spread of local currency bonds).

Would look to supplement by buying property (have my eyes on a few places in Philippines) to rent out. Would also look to invest in local businesses wherever I find opportunities.

Appreciate any advise or insight people might have!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
449ms