Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (648K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,884) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations Interior AI Photo AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to move your furniture in Europe so that it arrives after you?

by @liberalogica 8yr  | 2 comments

Hello, i have been moving around with just a couple of suitcases and that was easy, just find a nice coworking space and pay a lot for a room on AirBnB and you can visit a lot of places.

My problem now is that i have been living in a flat for a few years, and i cumulated an amount of stuff i donโ€™t necessarily want to get rid of. In other words, this time i want to move my whole base elsewhere, but i am quite confused about how to do that.

I want to move from Germany to Italy, and i guess that i can find a more or less expensive service to move my stuff safely to destination, the problem is that i would like the furniture to arrive after me, and possibly to a destination i donโ€™t know yet.

So, ideally i would load all my stuff on a truck and call back one month later with the address of the house i found in the meantime, but i am not sure that a service like this even exists. If it doesnโ€™t, i will have to go back and forth from my target location, and i will need to carefully plan my moves in order to be in the old place while loading the furniture, and already in the new place when it will arrive.

This sounds unneededly complex. Am i missing anything? How do people relocate?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

You should be able to do that. But expect to give a few phone calls, this kind of request wouldnโ€™t be advertised online I believe.

Here are a few companies in Europe who organize moves for private individuals. If they canโ€™t do this for you, they may be able to tell you who else you can try to contact.

http://www.voovit.com/

www.crownrelo.com

http://www.pearsonhomemoving.com

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hey, thanks a lot. I tried a few of those links and also some German ones. Pearson had the best web experience so far!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to ship bikes from US to Europe?

by @ld 4yr 4 years ago  | 3 comments

Hello,
Iโ€™m preparing to travel again to Europe, but this time I want to bring our bikes. 2 road bikes. Iโ€™ll be traveling from USA to the Milan or Rome airport.

Iโ€™d appreciate hearing your thoughts, experience and tips on traveling with a bike. I plan on being fairly stationary with our location and staying in one spot for 2-3 months, then (hopefully train) to another spot for 3 months, etc. So itโ€™s the initial international flight Iโ€™m most concerned about. But realistically, I think a regional flight will be inevitable with the bikes, too.

I know a bike box will be huge and we will have to break down the bike, thankfully our bikes are fairly light weight. Iโ€™m expecting it to be a huge painโ€ฆbut I think the reward of having a good bike to roam around with will be invaluable. Especially since we will be staying in rural areas and donโ€™t want to rent a car.

General range of cost?

Anyone bring their bike and glad they did? โ€ฆWish they didnโ€™t?.. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

SIM to use in Eastern Europe

by @itinerantdev 5yr 5 years ago  | 6 comments

Over the next few weeks Iโ€™m visiting:

• Prague 4 days
  • Bratislava 12 days
  • Berlin 7 days
  • Budapest 60 days

I am British and was assuming I would use my giff gaff sim as that has free EU roaming.

But I have been in Mexico for six weeks and giff gaff emailed and said if I didnโ€™t use my sim in the UK soon they would start charging their normal expensive roaming rates.

Soโ€ฆ Can anyone recommend a pre-pay data only sim/package I can use in all of these countries? Ideally which I can pick up in Prague?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the best warm destinations in Europe in the winter?

by @jammingsloth 5yr 5 years ago  | 33 comments

Planning ahead for the winter. Iโ€™ll be in Spain in the Fall and want to go someplace warm for the winter in or near Europe, but not Schengen. Was first thinking Cape Town, but the internet is slow and it is very far. Was also thinking:
Israel - but airbnb listings are very pricey.
Morocco?
Turkey - maybe a little chilly.

Any other suggestions?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Advice on phone plans? 1 year in Europe

by @larsheather 5yr 5 years ago  | 8 comments

Weโ€™re Americans planning to be in Europe for all of 2020 - approx. 90 days in each country, and alternating Schengen and non-Schengen. Our destinations will likely include four of these: Italy, Croatia, Bulgaria, Estonia, Ireland, Romania, and Spain.
Can anyone give us advice on cell phones? We would prefer to keep our current (U.S) numbers if at all possible. We donโ€™t anticipate making many local calls, but will phone the U.S. about once a week. Weโ€™ll use our phones for internet quite often.
Any advice for our situation would be very much appreciated!
Thanks,
Heather and Lars

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Nomad in Europe and buying a car

by @toob 5yr 5 years ago  | 2 comments

Weโ€™re nomadโ€™ing around Europe, living in places for a few months at a time. It would be super convenient to own a car for this, but we havenโ€™t found a good option to buy and keep one without being a steady registered resident in any country. Every time we move weโ€™d have to basically change number plates et cetera.

Does anyone have any experience with this and has helpful advice?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Can anyone recommend a good Swedish bank for European student?

by @raz 6yr 6 years ago  | 1 comment

The ideal bank will have an easy on-boarding as a European student studying and living in Sweden for a year and is merciful when it comes to sending GBP into the account.
Can anybody recommend a good Swedish bank? :raised_hands:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Do you always have your passport with you?

by @stepunk 6yr 6 years ago  | 31 comments

While traveling, do you always have your passport with you? Or you leave it in your room/hotel/house and go around with just a copy of the main page?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Whatโ€™s a good European call & SMS forwarding service?

by @adrienbetweets 6yr 6 years ago  | 5 comments

Hi all

What do you guys use for receiving both sms & calls on a European phone number?

Iโ€™d like to have a phone number that does not change for at least 1 or 2 years.

I did my homework & found this thread but itโ€™s only about US services so I donโ€™t think itโ€™s relevant: Whatโ€™s a good US call and SMS forwarding service?
Also, I looked into Google Hangout but it doesnโ€™t support European phone numbers.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best European Ski Towns?

by @matthewhallcom 6yr 6 years ago  | 9 comments

Looking to spend around 6 weeks somewhere in Europe this winter skiing and working. Donโ€™t need a big tech community but care more about it being affordable and having at least half decent skiing.

So far I have heard good things about Les Deux Alpes, France and Bansko, Bulgaria.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where is the best place to open a bank account in Europe?

by @julien 6yr 6 years ago  | 7 comments

Hello the community,

I am thinking about opening a business bank account in another country outside of France.
I live in Paris and I work as a freelancer. The taxes on my salary are very expensive (around 85%). I would like to know if there are better options for bank accounts within Europe.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,

J

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where to pay taxes if self employed non-resident of the UK, travelling Europe?

by @jadi4nd 6yr 6 years ago  | 5 comments

Hi, I know there are a few posts around this topic but none of them quite answer my questions.

I am British and currently a resident in the UK.
Next year I am going to become a non-resident and spend over a year traveling mostly around Europe, moving every few weeks never staying anywhere longer than a month. (My first venture into becoming a digital nomad!)

I am remote, self employed, software developer working mostly for one client based in the UK.

Where am I liable to pay taxes?
From what I have read I will not be liable to pay taxes in UK, can anyone confirm this?
If not the UK then where if I am moving every few weeks?
If possible I want to avoid starting a company as this seems unnecessarily complicated for my work setup.

Thank you in advance for any help :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Which is the warmest city in Europe with the highest number of tech jobs?

by @omarmohameddev 6yr 6 years ago  | 8 comments

I am currently living in Cologne, Germany, with my wife, but we are looking for to continue our slow-nomadism path towards a warmer city, possibly close to the sea, where I can easily get a new job and offer a set of well-know, tech companies/startups. Any idea?

I was considering Madrid and Valencia, but also Nice looks very attempting even if I am scared that there are not enough tech companies could become hard find/change job in the long term.

Thanks everyone in advance!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Health Insurance for Europeans?

by @patrickheneise 6yr 6 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi there, Iโ€™m currently looking at Allianz Global and IM Global as a health insurance for long-term travel in Asia. Any experiences with those two or are there better options for European residents?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where in Europe to settle for 90 or 180 days (fall - winter)

by @0frontiers 7yr 7 years ago  | 3 comments

am italian, speaking german, french, spanish.
Iโ€™m looking for a base for the upcoming winter season.
on my radar i have following options:

France = I love the country, speak its languge, enjoy its food, just the climate ainโ€™t most warm unless your in the deep south (good wines too)

Spain = After one year of living Mexico and speaking fluently spanish this rather new country could be very interesting, if not intriguing. Valencia probably on my top lists.

Italy = havenโ€™t been in Italy for a while, though iโ€™m italian. Generally very sociable country and if your not a tax resident the sounds of living in it is quite fascinating.

Greece = Never been there, food and climate would be probably very suitable if not super sweet. I can see my self overlooking the Agean see on a cup of wine while work is done stretching into sweet weekends.

Ukraine = I know bloody cold and politically tense, yet arguably cheap and still safe (iโ€™m used to Mexican standards). It would be a interesting ride for sure, and low expenses would mean easy route to stay competitive and build momentum in my business.

All other options are out of sight, UK , IRELAND are too cold and expensive. I would drink too much to feel sociable :slightly_smiling_face:

Where are you guys heading?
I have October, November, December to opt in , new year Iโ€™d probably HOP into a newer country, still EU-Bound โ€ฆ

Give me some pros and cons.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there cards similar to the APEC Business Travel Card that Europeans are eligible for?

by @dpt 7yr 7 years ago  | 3 comments

I heard from an American friend that he has several cards similar to the APEC Business Travel Card (link to Wikipedia ) that allow him to get priority treatment at immigration line in certain countries.
I was very intrigued and quickly checked up on the card, but it seems to be only available to citizens of APEC-member nations.

I was wondering if anyone here uses such cards, what your experiences with them are (specifically, Iโ€™m interested in cards available for Europeans/Germans).

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I'm looking for a European city with a great connection to the outdoors. Help?

by @justinbosco 7yr 7 years ago  | 23 comments

Iโ€™m in the middle of doing some research for our next destination within Europe and Iโ€™m hoping to get some suggestions from some outdoor enthusiasts whoโ€™ve spent time on the continent.

My favorite cities are Innsbruck, Austria and Bergen, Norway because you can be downtown having a beer one minute and thenโ€ฆ boomโ€ฆ up the mountain in the middle of nowhere 15 minutes later. Iโ€™m looking for a similar place to spend a month or two this winter. Places like these are hard to find because โ€œmid-size european cities with great hiking nearbyโ€ doesnโ€™t return too many relevant results on Google. Great adventure towns are usually in the middle of nowhere, the kind of places youโ€™ll need to rent a car to get to the grocery store, and places with good public transportation are usually concrete jungles. But places like Innsbruck and Bergen manage to combine the best of both worlds.

Has anyone come across similar places theyโ€™d recommend?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

European bank account for non resident

by @theunisk 7yr 7 years ago  | 5 comments

I hold South African/Portuguese dual citizenship, however I was born and (officially) reside in South Africa. Any recommendations for a nomad friendly european bank account ? Ie, one that does not require residency, proof of address, or have easy ways to get around these.
I will not be using it much for day to day expenses, more as a way to hold euros and be able to transfer between accounts. My US bank account has very high fees.
I am in europe for the next week or two (currently Italy) and hope to be able to get one before I leave.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the nomad hotspots in Eastern Europe (outside Schengen)?

by @emondpph 7yr 7 years ago  | 43 comments

Hi everybody,

In august my Schengen tourist visa will be over. I would like to go 3 months in Eastern Europe, but it needs to be outside of the Schengen area. I would have loved to go to Budapest but because itโ€™s Schengen I canโ€™tโ€ฆ

Frankly, I donโ€™t know Eastern Europe that well. What are the best spots for Digital nomad in this region ? Also, I need a cool co-working space, I donโ€™t like working from my house.

Thanks !

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Registering a Business in Netherlands for non European

in Netherlands by @deskaway 7yr 7 years ago  | 0 comments

Hi fellow nomads !
Looking for tax representative offices, logistic solutions and Company incorporation in Netherlands. ?

I will be in Amsterdam coworking and checking these companies out? Honestly I do not want to end up with a hidden fees companyโ€ฆ

Cheers from Berlin,

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Low Cost European Destination for August?

by @jcw 7yr 7 years ago  | 4 comments

Weโ€™re thinking of going nomadic for a month in August/early September with the kids in tow.

Ideally, weโ€™d like to hire a two bedroom place somewhere warm (or warmer than England) without breaking the bank. Also, easy travel from the south of England (Gatwick or Heathrow) would be good.

Near a beach would be good or a place with lots of outdoors stuff for young kids to do.

Either 4 weeks in one location or 2 weeks in 2 locations would be good.

Both of us parents work remotely so weโ€™d need reliable internet at the place of stay.

Coffee shops or a co-working space would be a bonus.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
433ms