How to pack clothes for 3 seasons?

Hi, hoping seasoned travellers can help!

I’m leaving Toronto for Lisbon, Portugal in 3 weeks. “Winter” weather there is described as Average 12-15 degrees. Spring "15-18 degrees, and summer 20 degrees up to 28.

Since I have one suitcase and a small luggage allowance - what do you suggest? I know that Lisbon has been warmer than usual in recent weeks!

Advice from Nomads in Portugal specifically welcomed.

Cheers

Layers. Lots of layers. I am carry-on only and can go from about 0-30 degrees, no problem.

2 Likes

I’ll echo @wanderingdev on this one: layers are the best bet.

And a good winter coat and pair of shoes does wonders.

It focuses more on style than seasonality, but in case it’s helpful, here’s how I pack clothes-wise: http://gigigriffis.com/how-to-stay-stylish-while-living-out-of-a-bag-part-i/

And Her Packing List (I think at http://herpackinglist.com) has tons of packing posts (and I bet there’s one specifically for Portugal).

2 Likes

I’m not big on layers. If you plan on going hiking and doing stuff like that, they are fine but I find most urban environments are either cold outside/over heated inside in winter and the opposite in summer. i’d rather have just one layer that I can take off or put on than lug a heap of clothes around in my bag.

It doesn’t actually sound like Lisbon has a huge variation in temperatures between summer and winter anyway. I’d think about taking a few dresses (or top+bottom combos) that can work with tights and a cardigan in winter or on their own in summer.

I have an ankle length cardigan that I wear for flying (doubles as a blanket), on colder days and also use as a makeshift dressing gown if I need one. Something like would give you more options and not take up luggage space :smile:

1 Like

Hi, I’m a bit of an alpinist and digital nomad at the same time. I’d recommend:

1. A down jacket, which can pack into it’s own pocket and on average weights between 200-450 grams. This can cost from $100 to $250, it will keep you warm with minimum space and weight. One point against it: down doesn’t work if it’s wet so a packable rain coat might be useful as well whenever it rains.

2. Merino or Yak wool base layer: Basic shirts for warm weather + Long underwear (also called long johns) for cold weather leg protection. Merino and yak wool have natural anti-odour properties which means you can wear the same piece for days and it won’t smell. Plus, among other advantages, it doesn’t rot due to humidity (which cotton does) and it will be harder to burn (synthetic does burn).

3. There are many brands you can give a try but generally look for sport and mountaineering brands. You can think of it as an investment as this clothes will be useful for years.

1 Like

If i had to pack for 3 seasons i would totally do what @eduard_jubany suggests. Quality materials do give me more comfort especially when i like to hang outside.

A wind stopper/rain coat over a pullover/sweater/cardigan. A fair amount of wind and rain there during that time, so i would expect it to feel a bit colder. You can also tuck a light down jacket under a rain coat, so makes it functional clothing for colder european cities visits. You can also wear only one of the layers above during springtime (rain coat or cardigan).

Check if they have indoor heating (you might need an extra sweater). Due to mild winter a lot of places in Barcelona do not.

Comfy shoes! The streets are steep but look so lovely to walk at.

Natural fabrics for hot summer.

On another note, you can also easily find cheap H&M, Mango, Zara basics there.

1 Like

Thanks all!

Great advice, I especially love http://herpackinglist.com/, thanks @gigigriffis.

Have invested in some Ziploc Space Bags for any warmer clothes, sweaters and scarves, and have made up mind to pack mostly for weather we are arriving to, and to pick up cheap things if needed as the weather warms up! Will pack a few dresses and the like for summer that I love, and that’s IT!

I can do this I can do this :smiley:

Yes you can! and I would add: don’t pack too much. It is so easy to buy things everywhere!

Polypropylene is a wonder of staying warmth, but also keeping cool:

http://gear.kathmandu.com.au/gear/Polypropylene-Thermals

It’s my go-to small-volume, big-warmth option.

I’m leaving Toronto for Lisbon, Portugal in 3 weeks. “Winter” weather there is described as Average 12-15 degrees. Spring "15-18 degrees, and summer 20 degrees up to 28.

Since I have one suitcase and a small luggage allowance - what do you suggest? I know that Lisbon has been warmer than usual in recent weeks!

Advice from Nomads in Portugal specifically welcomed.

Hi, I live in Lisbon but I’m out of the country right now. What do you want to know ? :slight_smile:

Right now, it’s raining season and should last for a while (with some pockets of sun here and there), so be ready for that.

It won’t be very cold, the 12-15 you mentioned are correct. Jeans with 2 layers of top-wear (undershirt and a shirt/long-sleeve or something thicker) + a jacket should be enough for the winter and spring.

If you’re staying for the summer, then tshirts and shorts/skirts will be all you need. It actually goes well over 28º in the summer, more like 20º (night) to 32º (or more if you’re in the beach).

Happy travelling!