Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (648K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,884) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations Interior AI Photo AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to ship bikes from US to Europe?

by @ld 4yr  | 3 comments

Hello,
Iโ€™m preparing to travel again to Europe, but this time I want to bring our bikes. 2 road bikes. Iโ€™ll be traveling from USA to the Milan or Rome airport.

Iโ€™d appreciate hearing your thoughts, experience and tips on traveling with a bike. I plan on being fairly stationary with our location and staying in one spot for 2-3 months, then (hopefully train) to another spot for 3 months, etc. So itโ€™s the initial international flight Iโ€™m most concerned about. But realistically, I think a regional flight will be inevitable with the bikes, too.

I know a bike box will be huge and we will have to break down the bike, thankfully our bikes are fairly light weight. Iโ€™m expecting it to be a huge painโ€ฆbut I think the reward of having a good bike to roam around with will be invaluable. Especially since we will be staying in rural areas and donโ€™t want to rent a car.

General range of cost?

Anyone bring their bike and glad they did? โ€ฆWish they didnโ€™t?.. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Not just going to and returning from the same location and a couple of flights. Can do many point to point to point, etcโ€ฆ (for example, LA->Saigon->Hoi An->Da Lat->Saigon->Tokyo->Osaka->Kyoto->Hiroshima->Onomichi->Kobi->Osaka->Taipei->Taichung->Saigon->LA) But @quinn makes a good point, you may have to repack everything or find a way to send your bag before heading to your next destination. In Taiwan, for example, I sent my bag by post to my next destination and it arrived before I cycled there. @quinn tips and info for touring is great, though! Very useful. :+1:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@quinn 4yr

The advice from mentisdominus is appropriate for OP and anyone going to and returning from the same location. A bike case or box will provide maximum protection and is worth the effort when there is only a couple flights.

But hereโ€™s a tip for those of you who may be touring, arriving at one airport and departing from another, or taking many flights where taking a bike box or case with you on tour is usually not possible (unless you have something like a Bike Friday travel case). Most airlines will accept a fully-assembled bicycle with just a plastic cover, as long as the handlebars and turned sideways and the pedals are removed. Even airlines that specifically list a โ€œboxโ€ as a requirement will allow a simple plastic cover. Ask at a mattress store for the plastic bag that comes on a twin size mattress (cost $0โ€“10). Now you can roll up to the airport, pack your bike in its bag and secure the plastic with packing tape or rope (5 minutes) and drop it at the โ€œoversized luggageโ€ desk (after check-in). Final package looks like the image below. When you arrive to your destination you can roll up the plastic and keep it with you until you arrive to the next airport. A plastic bag certainly doesnโ€™t provide as much protection as a box or case, so I would also remove bike parts that are delicate, for example I would unscrew the rear derailleur and tie it to the frame somewhere it wonโ€™t take a hit, also things like bike bells or lights that might easily break off if bumped. No need to deflate the tires. Iโ€™ve even used this technique with a tandem bicycle, for which airlines didnโ€™t even blink (and they charged only one bicycle fee :).

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Iโ€™ve traveled with my road bike and triathlon bike, separately, since 2016. Iโ€™ve taken them on many planes, some trains, buses, boats, and cars. I take a bike pretty much everywhere I go. Iโ€™ve never regretted it. Itโ€™s wonderful how much more you can explore with your bike. Youโ€™ll go places you otherwise wouldnโ€™t.

Iโ€™ve even picked up an indoor trainer (Wahoo Kickr Snap) and took it with me to a couple of places. But thatโ€™s another story.

Case
I pack my bike in a Gavilan BFF bike case from Radicalvelo. The case cost me $475. However, it appears they no longer sell it. My friend, though, has the Orucase Airport Ninja case, that is about the same size as mine. Itโ€™s a nice case.

Packing
To pack my bike, I have to disassemble it: handlebars, fork, rear-derailleur, brakes, wheels. It takes me about 30-50 minutes to disassemble/pack and unpack/assemble. Iโ€™ve done it so many times now, Iโ€™ve gotten very comfortable doing it. I also adjust my brakes and derailleurs after re-assemblying it. I also have a small tool bag with hex wrenches, screwdriver, something to take the peddles off. I used to disassemble my chain but now just wrap it and the rear-derailleur together and attach them to the bike frame securely.

My bike pump also a bike stand: Topeak TRANSFORMER RX. Itโ€™s very useful and lightweight.

I highly recommend having a portable digital scale to weigh your case and other bags!

Fees
Regarding transportation fees: My case is always less than or equal to 20kg (45lbs). The dimensions are close to the maximum allowed. Nearly every international flight has a check-in allowance that allowed me to check-in my case and another bag without any additional fees. Out of the many flights that Iโ€™ve taken, only one airline (Avianca, international flight) counter agent has measured the case dimensions and made me pay an oversize fee over $100 (I canโ€™t remember exact amount) for being 10 inches over. For budget airlines, some of them charge per kilogram over some minimum or something similar. Usually, the additional cost is reasonable; much less than $100, maybe around $20. Itโ€™s always best to pay the overweight fees ahead of time, if any.

There was a time where I had taken my assembled bike onto a boat and they charge me a small fee. Also, a similar thing happened when I had to take a long distance bus somewhere.

Bike Box
My wife uses a bike box. For me, the box is cumbersome because of the size, however, the bike is faster to pack and unpack. Sheโ€™ll pay the oversize fee when necessary. But, she hasnโ€™t travelled many places with it and so far the costs have been fine with us. Actually, some airlines sometimes have an no-fee allowance for bikes! So check the airlines for their policies.

Overall, I think you should take the bikes for the amount of time youโ€™ll spend in one spot.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What features would you like to see on Nomad List?

by @levelsio 3yr 3 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi everyone,

I would love to hear what you'd like me to build next on Nomad List, or any other product/feature feedback ideas you have.

It's been 6+ years now but I'm in this for the long term and with the boost remote work got last year it's even more exciting to work on Nomad List than ever.

Current roadmap is here: twitter.com/levelsio/status/1363204985488572417?s=20 and pbs.twimg.com/media/EusS9PKXEAUR8xp?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

The next products/features I have planned:

- ๐Ÿ›‚ Rebase: visa, residency and immigration services for remote workers

- ๐ŸŽ“Courses: learn the steps how to go remote and travel/relocate

- ๐Ÿ› Gov liaison: diplomacy services to the governments to help us lobby for nomads and for them to attract remote workers

Thanks a lot!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the best places right now in the Caribbean/LatAM? (Also cheapest flights/accommodation?)

by @orangutan3 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

What are the best places right now in the Caribbean/LatAM? (Also cheapest flights/accommodation?) Asking from the US.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

List of Visa/Residency Information in Table/Spreadsheet format?

by @innovatelife 3yr 3 years ago  | 2 comments

As part of signing up for this website I was hoping I would come across a list of Visa and/or Residency requirements by country ideally in a table format to assist with decision making. Does anybody recommend any other websites that might present the information in this format (or Google Spreadsheet)?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Most Walkable Neighborhood / City In The World ?

by @dannybooboo 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

I love living in walkable areas of town. I can always find them. But now I'm wondering where in the world are the most walkable places? I'm imagining walk streets (no cars), zoning allowing both business and residential, parks or beaches ,etc.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any nomads in Arizona, US?

in Netherlands by @info132 3yr 3 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi guys,

After the Netherlands, the Bay Area, Colorado and being on the van life for 8 months, I am now in Sedona, AZ with a few other digital nomads. We are sharing a home here and are wondering if there are more like minded people in the area.

We do a bunch of hikes and campouts in the northern of Arizona. If you would like to connect with us, please do so :)

Val

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

International number & internet?

by @leobassam 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

Has anyone figured out a way to get setup with a virtual number and internet connection anywhere you go?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there any tax issues I have to be aware of?

in Germany by @clara 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Hi everybody. I live and work in Germany and want to go to Canary Islands for 6 months to work from there. I'm going to keep my current job, just change the "home" in the home office part of things. Are there any tax issues I have to be aware of? I was reading about becoming a residence after 183 days, thus having to pay taxes there plus my employer having to register there. Does anybody know how it works exactly? Thanks a lot!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Chiang Mai accommodation

in Chiang Mai , Thailand by @bertieb 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Can anyone recommend a good accommodation website for Chiang Mai?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is anyone travelling right now?

by @viktor 3yr 3 years ago  | 3 comments

Winter is coming and Iโ€™m feeling the ache of travelling after being stuck in the same place since the Pandemic started. Wondering if anyone is travelling right now? If so, where are you currently located and how is the situation where you are?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where is the best place to open a bank account in Europe?

by @julien 6yr 6 years ago  | 7 comments

Hello the community,

I am thinking about opening a business bank account in another country outside of France.
I live in Paris and I work as a freelancer. The taxes on my salary are very expensive (around 85%). I would like to know if there are better options for bank accounts within Europe.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,

J

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where to pay taxes if self employed non-resident of the UK, travelling Europe?

by @jadi4nd 6yr 6 years ago  | 5 comments

Hi, I know there are a few posts around this topic but none of them quite answer my questions.

I am British and currently a resident in the UK.
Next year I am going to become a non-resident and spend over a year traveling mostly around Europe, moving every few weeks never staying anywhere longer than a month. (My first venture into becoming a digital nomad!)

I am remote, self employed, software developer working mostly for one client based in the UK.

Where am I liable to pay taxes?
From what I have read I will not be liable to pay taxes in UK, can anyone confirm this?
If not the UK then where if I am moving every few weeks?
If possible I want to avoid starting a company as this seems unnecessarily complicated for my work setup.

Thank you in advance for any help :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Celebration of New Year's eve 2017 in Europe?

by @mary_oleksiuk 7yr 7 years ago  | 1 comment

New Year 2017 is coming :slight_smile: Iโ€™m wondering where digital nomads going to celebrate it? And whats special plan do you have?
Iโ€™m still at phase of planning for New Year and cant decide a place in Europe where to go :smiley: Italy, Spain, Portugal?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Low cost + Nomad community in Europe?

by @joaoalbertofn 7yr 7 years ago  | 8 comments

Hi Guys! Iโ€™m planing to kick start my Nomad Life style in July, and Iโ€™m researching cities in Europe that can provide three things:

1. Low cost (Iโ€™m earning money in Brazilian Real, not Dollars). Especially regarding rent.
  2. Some kind of Digital Nomad community and Co-working spaces.
  3. Security. Low criminality.

All other characteristics (Weather, english speaking), are not as important as the ones above.
=D

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the ideal digital nomad places in Europe?

by @mrwhite 7yr 7 years ago  | 22 comments

Hello.

I am looking for doing about one month of solid work; I have previously worked out of Chiang Mai and I am looking for something simlar:

• Good coworking place
  • Cheap rent
  • Good food

But in ideally in Europe.

In other words: What are good digital nomading places in Europe? In particular something that is not too dark and cold this of time year.

โ€“ Christian

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What is the best voice service in Europe?

by @que 8yr 8 years ago  | 6 comments

Hello, what is the best voice service to use in Europe? I plan to move around to different to countries. Iโ€™m wondering what people are doing?

I was thinking of using Appleโ€™s Sim for data, but that doesnโ€™t include voice.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where should I set up a home base in Europe?

by @tylertringas 8yr 8 years ago  | 22 comments

Hi folks,
Iโ€™ve been nomading for about 2 years straight and Iโ€™m looking to switch it up a little bit. This year Iโ€™d like to set up a home base somewhere while still being able to travel around 50% of the time. I thought I would just put my current thinking here to to see if anybody had advice or input on it.

First, why have a base at all? For me it boils down to three reasons:

1. Gear. Rock climbing, skiing, diving, trekking (and if youโ€™re me, cooking) require specialized gear. I have some of that stuff in storage in the US and Iโ€™m tired of over-paying to rent sub-par equipment. Looking for a spot to store my gear and easily swap it out as needed based on seasons.
  2. A comfortable default spot for work. Sometimes you just want to sit in one spot for a month or more and just crank on a project. I want a great setup that I know I can default back to when I really just need to focus on work.
  3. Community. Nomading is great and this community is excellent. But Iโ€™d like to have my cake and eat it too, being part of a local and nomad community.

So Iโ€™m looking at Barcelona, Berlin and Budapest. No I donโ€™t have a weird thing about cities that start with โ€œBโ€ - it just worked out that way.

Iโ€™m likely looking for a 1 bedroom apartment in the city center (i.e. Gracia, Mitte, District VII). It needs to be either (1) cheap enough that I wouldnโ€™t feel awful about traveling while still paying rent, maybe max EUR 800-900/mo (2) Or, easily Airbnbโ€™able if Iโ€™m gone for a while. Also looking for โ€œforeigner-friendlyโ€ setup without an extensive bureaucratic leasing process.

So my questions:

1. What are the sites/processes for finding long-term apartments in these cities?
  2. Anybody seen any interesting other solutions to this? Like dedicated nomad housing? Sweet group housing around this idea?
  3. Anybody already have a setup like this that theyโ€™d care to share?

Also if anybody loves this idea and wants to chat about finding a bigger place together Iโ€™m open to the idea.

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the best AirBnB houses you've been in Europe?

by @carlien 8yr 8 years ago  | 4 comments

At the moment Iโ€™m scouting AirBnB for a good place to stay for september. Which houses have you been & can you recommend? Iโ€™m looking at all kinds of locations.

Thanks in advance!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Quality of remote connections (RDP, TeamViewer etc.) from SE Asia to Europe?

by @djar 8yr 8 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi,
this is David from germany.

I am planning to stay in SE Asia in Q4 2015 while continue working. My work is location independent, but i would need to access customer sites in germany via remote connection. Has anyone done this bevor?
When i was in Thailand for holiday, voip telephony like skype, google talk etc. was working fine, but i did not test any remote access. It was a holiday. :smile:

I know that for web guys, this is not a problem, because SSH and git are not so much time critical like a โ€œliveโ€ desktop session. I know that there will be more lag, as ping times Asia -> Europe will be more like 500ms rather than the < 100ms what working in close proximity to the customer.

I might start at Bangkok or Chiang Mai, so any first hand reports from there would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
David

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there towns similar to Boulder or Portland in Europe?

in Portland , United States by @j0hnlucas 8yr 8 years ago  | 17 comments

Small towns with:

1. beautiful nature (mountains or sea)
  2. progressive (clean energy, digital, social justice, etc)
  3. laid back attitude
  4. affordable
  5. good startup community
    It seems to me that if 2 and 5 then itโ€™s hard to have 1 and 3. e.g. Berlin for startups is too big, not great nature, a bit too cold. Am I asking too much? :smile:
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
497ms