I have 3 questions: savings, home base and what's in your backpack?

I am based in Dhaka, Bangladesh and I am planning to start my nomad life later December. I was preparing before that.

I had some burning decisions to be made before that.

Savings : How much you need to have savings before starting your nomad life and how much will be enough and constant and easily accessible to everywhere I mean mode keeping the money i.e Cash or Banks

Home Base: Do you guys have a home back and do you come back there in a routine period such as every month or so.

And What’s in your backpack: I need a extra 23 inch monitor for work otherwise I don’t feel comfortable, I am thinking ways to fit in my backpack, what is the common size of your bags and do you carry a lot luggage, usually picking luggage takes a lot time and a lot hassle too. I prefer only backpacking and hand luggage that’s why.

Would you please suggest and share your experiences with me.

Best

Shihab

Savings: You don’t need much if you have income, probably make sure you have enough for your lease payments (first/last) and a ticket back home if something goes wrong.

Home Base: There are no rules regarding this, everyone is across the board.

Backpack: You don’t need a backpack, in fact you don’t need anything. You can buy stuff when you arrive. Monitors are not that expensive, if you really need another monitor just buy one wherever you go. Unless you are backpacking, shopping will be a routine, it is not like a vacation.

Thanks @Jonathon for your comments, I need to find a good remote source of income for now then :slight_smile:

Savings : As a rule of thumb I always prefer to have saved enough to survive at least one year on a modest living. That way if everything goes foobar, I know I have enough resources to get back on track. Yet when I started nomading, my rule was enough to buy a ticket back home and buy food for 3 months. Thankfully I’m past that point now.

Home Base: Once a year I go back to my country and stay for a few months, and/or visit my home town for 1 or 2 months max. This is because I still have businesses and partners that I like to interact in person, and the food is amazing.

Backpack: I feel you, If I’m going to stay in a place for more than a two months, I tend to buy a cheap TV or Monitor and then sell it when I leave. A good practice is don’t pack anything you can buy there. I also only buy things that will make me more productive. That being said, I usually travel with one large suitcase and one backpack.

I agree about not taking a monitor, but also that it’s useful! I think it is more about having a specific setup that is ergonomic and you can associate with a productive mode.

I’ve travelled on occasion with a hardshell suitcase and a 23" monitor that I’d cut a cm off each corner to squeeze into it. Now I prefer a backpack which no monitor fits in. The suitcase constrains you in your movements (and labels you a holidaymaker!), a backpack is multifunction and worry free. I got a waterproof one with a rolltop that can thus be adjusted in volume. It’s far from essential though, plastic duty free bags are fine :wink:

Frankly though you’d be better off with a tablet, you can take it on trips when you don’t want to carry a laptop, and it’s a backup device for when you spill something inappropriate on your laptop. I use my laptop on a stand with separate keyboard for primary, and the tablet (via WiFi or USB) as a secondary monitor for things that the UI lag doesn’t matter too much for—console logs, social media etc.

Adequate savings can be a problem for visas in some countries. Therefore if you want to visit them, the larger the better. Otherwise, not required, all you need is your wits—but as one gets older, savings are preferable, and sometimes when one just isn’t in the mood, so being able to just pay for what you want or need is a relief!

Being digital means you can find better work regardless of ‘where’ you are. Personally I never felt comfortable with less than a few months expenses covered which is the time required to find a traditional job in the worst case. You can increase the longevity of your savings by couchsurfing and such, so whatever amount it is much more flexible that initially appears in the traditional manner. Carry limited cash only, and make sure you have a backup pre-loaded card with enough for a flight in a separate bag. Bank accounts in different countries are useful, especially if freelancing, not to mention that splitting savings between currencies can help protect you against market fluctuations and withdrawal limits/costs.

Savings depends on the lifestyle you want to live and how steady your income source is.

Home base: no

Monitor: millions of people work with a single monitor. I bet you can too.

I travel with a carry-on size backpack. The thought of having to haul around some giant stupid monitor makes my head and back ache.