Introduce yourself — who are you, where are you and what do you do?

Hello all, like Herbert, I’m not already a DN but I planned to be one in the next months. I’m current a freelance consultant and we decided to move in Europe with my family…

What’s your name?
Stéphane Hulard

where are you?
France

what do you do?
I’m a technical consultant which work as a freelance since 4 years. I work on all the technical web things because I love it ! (PHP, WordPress, Servers, specific tools development…)

where are you currently?
I’m currently in France, near Lyon

where are you going?
I’m going to move to Spain during 2 months in september / october with my wife and my 3 children :smile:

what has been memorable for you so far?
I think that working from home (for the moment and anywhere in a few time !) was the most important thing I do… I enjoy my time differently since that day and I plan to discover a lot of places !!!

If there are some nomads which need helps about France or Lyon, just ask I’ll make my best to answer :wink:

Cheers!

So here I come!

• What’s your name?
    Marco, friends call me Tiwi

• Where are you from?
    Italy

• How long have you been away from home?
    I’m a digital nomad wannabe …I’m still home :frowning:

• What do you do?
    I do lots of things. Ehmm the following:
    Entrepreneur // Designer // Digital Nomad Wannabe // Crowdfunding & Gamification Consultant // Cardistry dude // Creator of GameDeveloperz - It’s a Card Game // Founder of WeCrowdIt - It’s a Crowdfunding consulting firm

• Where are you currently?
    In Italy

• Where are you going?
    I’m looking forward to Chiang Mai

• What has been memorable for you so far?
    When I decided to quit my job and found my first company back in early 2013

• Will you go home anytime soon?
    Hopefully I will leave soon! :slight_smile:

• Why are you here?
    I want to:
    Better understand how my life as a digital nomad would be // Learn from the community // Be inspired by other nomads // Learn how to plan my life as a digital nomad and how to live it without having to worry about all the rest.

Hi folk,
I’m Daniel from Switzerland and working as a consultant in accounting and financial. I get it done to work mostly from home office. and as you know home office is wherever you are.
my second income is from stock trading, which is also location independent.
currently I’m back in Switzerland, as it’s summer time and there is so much to do in summer. like wake-boarding, biking, free climbing meet friends or just relax at the lake. but next stops are back in southeast Asia Thailand and Philippines.
will you go home anytime? sure! I really love my country as it has one of the most beautiful nature. summer is great and even winter when you like skiing. I run also an AirBnB apartment back home.
the funny thing is, that I was a digital nomad already when I began to realize it; there are so many people out there and didn’t know about all these communities.

Hello everyone,

My name is Antoine and i’m a french Canadian. I was born in a small coastal town called Carleton-sur-Mer.

I’ve come a long way and now i’m studying at McGill University in Montreal (Business/Computer Science). I’m working (developer - mostly remote) in a software company Coveo, where we do enterprise search. We break data silos and empower knowledge worker, so pretty neat thing for enterprise.

For me home is a vague concept. My generation had the chance to grow up with the internet, so we have friends everywhere :slight_smile: I feel home at every place where I can find interesting people and discover a new culture. I’m finishing school soon and then I plan to move elsewhere probably in Europe/Asia.

Meanwhile, I had some problems integrating myself in the startup ecosystem in Montreal. With other people in Montreal we’ve opened up a Startup Basecamp in partnership with San Francisco. We are a co-living and co-working space targeted at digital nomads and moving professionals. Our goal is to attract awesome people and make them discover the startup ecosystem in Montreal.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about Eastern Canada and if you want to hang out or if you think to move here :slight_smile:

Hi! Alana here. 27. Living in NYC.

I quit my high-paying SVP Marketing job at a fintech startup and moved out of my apartment 6 months ago. Since then I’ve been couchsurfing, relaxing, resetting, detoxing and planning the next phase of my career.

Ideally my homebase would be in San Diego, CA and I’d have the freedom to travel about the globe. I’ve already visited 15 countries across North America, Europe, Southeast Asia – and I’d like to visit South America next.

Since I am not a fully baked Digital Nomad yet, I won’t bore you except to say Hi and that I look forward to sharing more once… there’s more to share. :smile:

P.S. Here’s my LinkedIn. I’m open to chatting about opportunities / suggestions.

Cheers xx

I am mostly freelancing at the moment. Mostly Business Development, Sales and Market Research.
My background is market research and consumer psychology.
Hey,

Marss here.
I am mostly freelancing at the moment. Mostly Business Development, Sales and Market Research.
My background is market research and consumer psychology.

I also just started doing a HR project where I need to recruit German speaking freelancers.
The freelancers are for SEO and Customers Service projects.
So in case you know somebody who could be interested in that - shoot me a pm.
In midterm in will also work on my own projects.

What’s your name?
My name is Yogesh B, but I also go by Yogee or YB

Where are you from?
I was born in Nasik, which is now very popularly known as the wine capital of India.

How long have you been away from home?
I am not a complete nomad yet but am on the verge of making this tranformation. I have lived and worked in Nasik, Bangalore and Mumbai, all in India

What do you do?
I have been in the design space working in advertising, print and digital. I plan to connect with and help other entrepreneurs and startups

Where are you currently?
Mumbai, India

Where are you going?
It will take another 10-12 week before I make that change. Until then no plans of moving to any place

Will you go home anytime soon?
One fine day, yes. But that’s not happening anytime soon.

Why am I here
I am keen on learning more about the life of a nomad and what it is to be a nomad. Hope its going to be interesting.

I would love to meetup with other nomads. If you are currently in Mumbai or around, let me know. Thanks @levelsio for this wonderful group.

If anyone has a question, feel free to shoot…

Hello,
My name is Suzanne and I currently live in NYC (Bronx, for now). I have been away from home on and off for years, but my current job allows me to be away from my home base (NYC) for a few weeks to a few months at a time. I’m a project manager of sorts, front end application support/trainer, QA/bug triage. Currently, I’m in Portland, OR (where I used to live for about 6 years), and am currently at the end of month long visit. I would like to visit a different city in the U.S., but can’t seem to pin one down as of yet.
[What are some viable, short-term living arrangement resources (I’m already an Airbnb expert) and, are there meet-up resources (besides meetup?]

What’s your name?
Jake Hooson

Where are you from?
“The North” (of England)

11 months (and counting)

What do you do?
Journalist and editor for China Daily. I’m also a currency trader.

Where are you currently?
Wuxi, Jiangsu Province, China.

Where are you going?
It would be nice to connect with the ‘Digital Nomad’ community so I’ll likely head to one of the SEA hubs (Chiang Mai is an obvious condender) and go from there. One of the things I love are independent print magazines so I’d love to have the first issue of a “Digital Nomad” magazine hit the coffee-stained tables of co-working nomad hubs sometime soon (anyone interested?)

What has been memorable for you so far?
My current job has given me the opportunity to have a much more enriched travel experience than I otherwise would have had. Whether it’s drinking with triads, documenting traditional craftspeople whose collective knowledge might soon disappear or exploring Beijing’s gritty music scene, there’s always a story behind the facade and people behind the story. People are what make a place interesting.

I’m currently office-based but I’ll be continuing my job remotely as of January and supplementing my income through currency trading. So the short answer is, no!

What have you learnt during your time as a nomad?
I suppose I’m still - like many on this forum - in the transitional phase of becoming a fully-fledged digital nomad, but something I’ve learnt is that things just happen if you put yourself in a position to be seen and heard. Even if your plan is half-baked, get up and go. When you come to the end of one shoestring, you will always find another. Tying shoestrings is not necessarily a bad thing; it keeps you on your toes and before you know it, you’ll own your own shoe lace store. It’s not a race, it’s a lifestyle choice, so take your time.

Hi to all motivated and driven people out there! I’m new here. So here it is :smile:

what’s your name?
- My name is Samantha

where are you from?
- I was born in the Philippines, but we moved in Singapore when i was 13.

how long have you been away from home?

• To be honest, i am quite confuse which is my true home. I felt like I am a foreigner in each country i go to :slight_smile:

what do you do?
- I am an entrepreneur. I partnered myself with the company that has high integrity that wants best for its people. I help people get their lives back. I am surrounded by a community of people regardless of age who wants more. To be able to give more.

where are you currently?
- Singapore

where are you going?
- We are planning to go to Hong Kong

• That one event i went to where I realized I could dream big. That I could do something for planet earth if only i would have the courage to step up and be fearless…

will you go home anytime soon?

• Define home :joy:

what have you learnt during your time as a nomad?
- It is part of my vision. I have not been a nomad but I will be…

How much will go for to help people?

Hi all my name is Scott and I originate from Newcastle Australia.
I have been travelling (this time) for the past 3 years however I have spent the last two years in an Indigenous Community in the Northern Territory of Australia working for a NGO.
I am currently what I like to call a “pre Digital Nomad” and going through the process of planning the next step based on a July 1 2016 travel date (at conclusion of current contract). My wife and I have been looking at the concept for some time and are using our spare time to establish a number of start ups that we intend to pursue. I am also a Financial Trader and intend to continue this while chasing other dreams.
We will be basing ourselves in Bali where we have travelled to extensively since 1985 (I’m 49) and will be working out of Hubed in Ubud.
Looking forward to reading future posts and gaining incites from other Nomads.

What’s your name?
Hey, my name is Peter and I bring my two cents

Where are you from?
Slovakia

If we define it as staying abroad, 8 years more or less

What do you do?
Being a software developer, so I’m working a bit on the creative side.

Where are you currently?
Lund, Sweden.

Where are you going?
Good question and unfortunately I don’t know the answer yet. Where my next job takes me and I also have Twitter #petegerhat where I can announce that. I used to have a plans, but plans are to be re-planned and adjusted to new realities. I’m in this kind of new reality and I have nothing left but hope that my next travel experience will enrich me and I will meet the right minded positive people. Asia-Pacific is where I want to be either vacationing or doing something serious.

What has been memorable for you so far?
My life revolves around enjoying the summer, all my best memories fall to this vivid season of the year when the sun is high up in the sky. Some of the best places I’ve visited were the US, Taiwan and Korea. Asia got me really hard and I enjoy going to destinations I never planned I will visit some day soon. Australia and New Zealand are my next frontiers.

It is something I want to do and I certainly have a close bond with my home.

What have you learnt during your time as a nomad?
It’s been hard years with many rewards. I made strong social connections and connections with places, that now define me as a person. Nomad life is not for everyone and I would rather have a place or places I can call home. People treated me differently in every country and that brought me into different unexpected situations. It also made me stronger and understand who I am as a person.

HI Shayna, you were great on the TMBA podcast!

I still reread the notes from that show from time to time, especially the bit about the need for good teachers in a market that’s suffering from information overload.

Hi all… I’ve been lurking and commenting here and there for some time now… Time for a more formal introduction.

what’s your name?
Chris and Elo

where are you from?
France… which we left because we’ve never felt “at home” there.

9 months

what do you do?
Remote software engineer for a (french) startup. When I interviewed, we made it clear I could move “home” around.

where are you currently?
In Malta (European island-country south of Italy). Malta is an english-speaking country (Maltese is the official language, but everybody can speak english), part of the EU, with a british heritage. My girlfriend and I needed a sunny place where she could learn english…

where are you going?
Next stop (in 3 months) will be Tenerife, Canary-Spain for 5 months. Winter in Malta is cold & humid… but summer is really nice (warm and dry).
We have a cat, so we can’t yet move freely (quarantined countries is not an option). Otherwise we’d go to SE Asia or tropical islands… which we’ll do when possible (our cat is old and sick).

The freedom. It’s what strikes me most. And the english culture, which has two words for liberty/freedom. There’s only one in french :smile:

Nope… A one week trip in september to see family before we move to the Canary islands.
Absolutely no intention to live in France again.

1/ It can be done
2/ it’s easier than you think
3/ you’re not alone, we are legions
4/ we made good friends, but we all plan on moving eventually… so friendship becomes remote too

Hello!

We travel as Grey World Nomads since 2012. First it was just me and Vlou, the traveling Beagle, originally from Switzerland and starting out our travels in South Africa. Soon George joined in and now we are already traveling together for almost three years! By the way, my name is Marcelle.

At the moment we are house sitting in the Netherlands and will be visiting Switzerland and France next month. Plans are quite open, what will be explored after that.

What makes us a bit different from most other nomads is our age. We are wondering, if there are any other digital Grey Nomads out there.

Safe travels
Marcelle, George & Vlou

2 Likes

Greetings to all. It’s good to be on board…
what’s your name?
My name is Mike
where are you from?
I’m originally from Somerset in England, the home of Cheddar cheese ooh arrrrr…
I’ve been bouncing around between the UK (London and Somerset) and East/Southeast East (mainly Taiwan, China, Japan, Thailand, Vietnam) and Australia (Adelaide) since starting to study Chinese 30 years ago. Have been full-time freelance for the past 14 years and full-time nomadic for the past 2.5 years (following 20 years of mobility restriction by marriage and children!)…
what do you do?
Freelance translator of Japanese
where are you currently?
Near Nagoya, Japan
where are you going?
Back to Vietnam – spent 3 months in Hanoi end of last year and 4 months in Hue start of this year. Planning to spend 6 months based on Phu Quoc from September.
My main interest is languages (but not in a dry way – for the door opening to new worlds in every sense), particularly those related to Chinese…Japanese has been my job for 20 years now, but my new passion is Vietnamese. Yet to get around to Korean properly…
I visit my mother in Somerset for a couple of weeks each year…
It’s inevitably lonely at times, but it’s the most interesting way to live and boredom is the Enemy…

Hello everyone!

what's your name? 

I’m Roman, nice to meet you!

where are you from?

I was born way back in Soviet Union. I tend to confuse people that the city and the country in my birth certificate do not exist anymore. :smile:

It’s hard to say where home is. Over the last ten years I moved from Russia to Poland to Netherelands and Australia. My home has been Australia for years, but I leave it every few months for at least a month.

what do you do?

I’m a software engineer. I have been doing IT consulting for years which helps being a digital nomad. I also co-founded (www.flystein.com), a flight search start up. In my free time I do multimedia projects (www.placefaraway.com).

where are you currently?

Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina. Will be around South Europe for another month.

where are you going?

Kosovo, Montenegro.

Vietnamese coffee, Cuban pizza and Melanesian noodles!

I do go home every now and then. Actually I love the feeling of having a home and the time I come back there after a long trip. And I love the urge of going somewhere again after a few weeks there.

Freedom, patience and how to face inevitable loneliness which comes to you sooner or later and the same way suddenly disappears!

Do you import/export out of China, and if so, what type of products? Do you also manufacture products in China and have tips to share?

Hi there.
My name is Gary, I am in my mid-thirties, living and working in Berlin. I am a biotechnologist by training, with a PhD in the field of water quality control, now working as Commissioning Editor for a scientific publishing house and wondering how the hell I ended up in a 9-5 office job. I want to get out by the end of the year.

Since my first round-the-world trip as a student over ten years ago, I’ve been intrigued by an international and independent life. Still carrying a lot of disappointment and anger inside me, that feeling of being tricked into a “career” that is actually boring and hard to stand. I need to get over these feelings now and rise and shine again, not falling back into the inertia of daily routines. I want to be able to trust my gut again and wake up being excited.

Just discovered this community. Looking forward to inspiration and exchange and specific action steps, so I can be in a totally different place by the end of the year. At the moment, I can’t figure out yet how to transition into work that people are willing to pay money for. I am sure there are many opportunities I am not aware of right now.

Cheers! G

My name is Pau. I’m a 24yo guy from Barcelona and i will begin my worldtrip pretty soon. Wanna find some digital nomads who care to join me for staying 1-2 month to different countries :smile: