Introduce yourself — who are you, where are you and what do you do?

what’s your name?
Laura & Dan
where are you from?
Laura’s from Texas, Dan is from California, we met in NYC and lived in Vermont for 8 years before a 3 year stint in MPLS and now PDX is home
how long have you been away from home?
We start Sept '18 and plan to travel for 2 years or more.
what do you do?
Dan was in web development & data project management, Laura was an entertainment technologist - we both plan to write.
where are you currently?
Portland, OR
where are you going?
We’re headed to the Camino and then have an open itinerary.
what has been memorable for you so far?
Figuring out how to pack our lives into 150 square feet of storage.
will you go home anytime soon?
Not if we can help it.
what have you learnt during your time as a nomad?
The best travel has some element of accident to it.

We are thrilled to join Nomadlist and look forward to interacting with others.

1 Like

Hello fellow Nomads,
This is Nilanjan ( you can call me Nil) :slightly_smiling_face:
I am from Kolkata in India.
I have stayed away from home for most of my professional life.
I am an experienced Project Manager trying to transition into the exciting world of Digital Marketing and Digital Analytics.
where are you currently? presently I am back home and looking for some remote work in Digital Marketing. :slight_smile:

1 Like

what’s your name?
Pieter
where are you from?
South Africa
Hmm… Left in 2004, returned in 2006. Left again in 2007 and only returned permanently in 2015. Left again on and off since then and have not been back since Nov '17.
what do you do?
Currently General Manager for a consultancy company, MBA student. Previously IT project management.
where are you currently?
Malta. Well, Gozo to be more specific.
where are you going?
Staying put for a few months.
Since 2004? Kabul HHH 2008 - 2014. :footprints:
Err… do I have to answer than now mom? :smiley:
Never underestimate anybody or judge them before you know them. Even then be careful of judging.

1 Like

what’s your name?
Clair
where are you from?
South Africa - but grew up in Virginia
7 months
what do you do?
Start up technology in arena of medical devices and AI involving blind and low vision - clients get smart glasses and we access the camera when they need sighted assistance
where are you currently?
The Netherlands
where are you going?
Belgium, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, Dubai, Bangkok, Bali, Hanoi, maybe China, Australia, then back home
being in France for FIFA 2018
what have you learned during your time as a nomad?
plan some, walk a lot in any direction, say yes

I’m Ken Jones, always an awkward name because I’m from Uruguay (no my parents were not missionaries or in the military; I’m a 4th or 5th generation Uruguayan). But I was born to travelers so I have been an ex-pat since I was 9. Lived in 9 countries and visited 37. That paultry total (compared to many of you) is about to change as I retire in December and become a full-time nomad without any home base. My 2019 journey at present includes my living in Haiti, the Dominican Republic, Turkey, Austria, and Ecuador. Will be making shorter stops in Spain, Italy, and who knows. I have converted to minimalist travel and live out of a backpack and a carry-on bag. Nice sights are interesting but I travel to make new friends, try new foods, listen to live music, and dance. My travel preps are all centered around establishing contacts in my destination points so I can better dive into the local scene and culture when I get there. I always strive to add value to the lives of people I come in contact with. My standard answer to the never-ending question (“which is your favorite place?”): The next one. My dream assignment: find a travel writer who wants a travel companion (me) willing to help with research/writing/editing/photography without asking for a byline or compensation (because I just enjoy it).

hey lucas

gonna be in madrid starting in august for three months if you want to meet up. I need to put my bio on here, but Im based in the US and try to travel for a month or more at a time annually. I was in dubai last november/december and heading to madrid now. I am ex hedge fund trader and now invest in real estate and am location independent. May as well use the technology nowadays to explore new countries I feel

What’s your name?
Brett
where are you from?
USA
Im still based in South Carolina but try to travel for 1-3 months at a time annually.
what do you do?
Ex small hedge fund trader and currently invest in real estate
where are you currently?
Madrid
where are you going?
Yes i do want to check back in at home throughout the year. Im not a complete nomad
Every place and person is foreign until you’re immersed in it. After a few weeks in a spot, I always feel local

1 Like

Hi

I am Ankit, 30, and I am from Kolkata, India. For the past few years, I have been in and out of India throughout the year for work and travel. I like peaceful places, and I enjoy beaches the most. I love Thailand for its beaches and forests. I prefer to be surrounded with nature and clean air, over a busy city. I enjoy outdoor sports, and play cricket, squash and volleyball.

I have a [WebDev+ SEO] business which lets me work from anywhere in the world. My clients are located in US, Australia, UK, NZ, UAE, Singapore. I travel to attend conferences and seminars to learn and network.

Next, I am going to be in Chiang Mai, coming October, to attend a SEO conference.

For me, the last 5 years have been memorable, because I realised that the business I was doing was location independent, and did not restrict me from travelling or taking daytime naps.

I do 3-4 trips a year usually. Last week, I was in Manilla, Philippines, and I stayed there for a week. I have recently joined NL, and want to meet other nomads and share experiences!

1 Like
  1. What’s your name?
    Russell

2. Where are you from?
    Originally from Texas.

3. How long have you been away from home?
    I moved away from Texas about 10 years ago.

4. What do you do?
    I’m a hobbyist photographer and hiker. For employment, I’m a software engineer for a non-profit.

5. Where are you currently?
    The Bay Area in California.

6. Where are you going?
    The plan is to visit a bunch of national parks over the next year doing photography workshops and such.

7. What has been memorable for you so far?
    Probably the few summer weeks I spent in Sweden/Norway. Hiking during the midnight sun and the people I met on long train or bus rides.

8. Will you go home anytime soon?
    I head back home for a week or two every year to visit my father during his birthday.

1 Like
  • What’s your name?
    Paul.

• Where are you from?
    Leeds, UK.

• How long have you been away from home?
    Still at home. Waiting for my house to be sold.

• What do you do?
    Self employed web-dev, trying to build stuff to get some monthly income.

• Where are you currently?
    Leeds.

• Where are you going?
    My plan is to find somewhere new to live and to nomad around until I do. Looking at Australia, Spain and France.

• Will you go home anytime soon?
    Only for special occasions.

1 Like

What’s your name?
Karthic Ashokan

Where are you from?
Bangalore, India is my hometown. But, for the last 5 years, I’ve been based in the US (NY, CA)

How long have you been away from home?
The last time I had my postal address in Bangalore was about 8 years ago. Moved out for school/work.
But now back home, and excited to start my nomad journey.

What do you do?
Tech. Software.

Due to H1B Visa issues, I had to leave the US. But, that kickstarted my digital nomad journey. I’m currently working as a remote/contract worker for my former employer (A startup in the US Automotive space, enabling people to literally buy cars online).

where are you currently?
Back home (Bangalore) for a hot minute.

where are you going?
Starting off with Asia (Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam, etc). Would love to spend 6 months in Europe later on.

Can be reached at:

image image image

1 Like

What’s your name?
Davide

Where are you from?
My hometown is Palermo, Italy, but I have been living in London for 10 years, not sure which one I should call home really :smiley:

How long have you been away from home?
10 Years I guess

What do you do?
I’ve done a bunch of things overtime:
Industrial Designer » UX Designer » Product Manager » Software Engineer
with photography and music thrown in between (Recorded two album and toured Italy a few times).

where are you currently?
Budapest for a month

where are you going?
Planning to explore the world, so for now something like Budapest » Prague » Singapore » Thailand » Bali

1 Like

What’s your name?
Yvonne
where are you from?
The Netherlands
Only about 6 weeks
what do you do?
I am a front-end developer (Pink Paisley Designs) and a guitar tech
where are you currently?
Maui, Hawaii
where are you going?
Staying here for a while
Yes, but only for a few weeks before I leave again
I can feel at home pretty much anywhere!

I’d love to meet up with other nomads, because this is all new to me, even though I know for sure this is the lifestyle I love. :slight_smile:

1 Like

What’s your name?
Michel

where are you from?
Aruba

I have been away from home for around 19 years, but had two long stints in California and Florida, before finally going true nomad in June this year.

what do you do?
I am a software architect. What that really means is that I do a lot of Lynda courses and get myself involved in starting a lot of applications that someone else finishes.

where are you currently?
In Aruba
where are you going?
Dominican Republic for two weeks, then back to San Francisco(where my job is), then to Sao Paolo, back to Aruba, then Medellin.

I’m home now.

It’s not easy to eat healthy, so I tend to feel hungrier more often. Said goodbye to having a meaningful romantic relationship. It’s better to have less than more, so moving around is getting easier.

People are nice so far, but the more I nomad the more I want to have a base everywhere on earth :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi folks, I’m Anthony from Upstate NY (Washington County). I’ve been nomadic since May of this year (2018). I’m a programmer/project manager/indie hacker (you can check me out here: https://formico.io). I’m currently living near Medellín Colombia, planning to stay in Colombia until the holidays, then explore more of Latin America.

1 Like

tl,dr. Feel free to ping me to hangout/cocktails/co-working via Slack handle: @tomchentw.

Hi everyone, I’m Tom Chen (tomchentw) from Taiwan and I’ve been doing remote jobs since the beginning of 2015.

I worked mostly in web front-end, with specialities in React.js and Single-Page-Applications.

During leisure hours I like exploring cocktail bars and hostels, both are really new and interesting to me. I’m currently traveling/nomading in Singapore, and planned to go to Malaysia and Thailand in my next few weeks. Probably east Europe after these in the 2019 Winter/Spring.

Personality-wise, I’m an introvert but trying to be more socialized. I like meeting new people but not too much at the same time, which I really enjoy chatting deeply with a person in a day :slight_smile:.

1 Like

Hey all :slight_smile:

My name is Filip but everyone calls me flipchan,
Im a developer at a startup called Firo Solutions
. We just went live with our beta so check that out at : watchers dot firosolutions dot com

I am swedish and love to travel and work on cool projects so thats why i decided to become a digital nomad, i have been out for 3months now. I quit my regular day job and focused more on my side project Firo Solutions which is a saas platform for keneping track of software updates. Im looking forward to getting to know alot of you and seeing planet eart :wink:

1 Like

Hi Adam, I am also from the Uk too! I just moved to Bali to scout out the digtial nomad community here. My next stop is Sydney. However, I am keen to learn more about Chiang Mai. It sounds awesome from what I understand. Would it be cool to connect over email and talk some more? Also, I saw you want to hang out in France for a bit… My boyfriend is French so if you have any questions about France, let me know! Thanks, Alice!

1 Like

what’s your name?
Pedro Lopes
where are you from?
Brazil!
Hmm… left in 2016 - currently im in Uruguai, working with Infraestructure and IT Security.

what do you do?
Im a Forensic Investigator, Security IT Professional and IT Guy.
www.pedrolopespericias.com.br
If anyone need my jobs, i work Remote to! :smiley:
where are you currently?
Uruguai and Brazil -
where are you going?
Cataratas do Iguaçu - Argentina side
Maybe…
I need trip more! My brain need this!

2 Likes

Hello all! So excited to being participating in the nomad community!

My name is Kyle Maurer and I’m from Jackson, Michigan, USA. I’ve been working for a distributed company for the last seven years but am only now just starting to travel seriously. Three months from now I’ll be going on my first extended trip. My wife, daughter and I will be spending a month in Budapest followed by a few days in both Prague and Berlin. My intention is to take a working trip like this every year to a new destination.

I know it isn’t a full nomad lifestyle but I think it suits me and what works for my family.

Professionally I do marketing stuff for a WordPress plugin company called Sandhills Development. I also help organize some WordPress conferences, co-host a satirical WordPress advice podcast called Get Options, and play guitar in a band.

Looking forward to meeting many of you!

1 Like