Introduce yourself — who are you, where are you and what do you do?

What’s your name?
Karthic Ashokan

Where are you from?
Bangalore, India is my hometown. But, for the last 5 years, I’ve been based in the US (NY, CA)

How long have you been away from home?
The last time I had my postal address in Bangalore was about 8 years ago. Moved out for school/work.
But now back home, and excited to start my nomad journey.

What do you do?
Tech. Software.

Due to H1B Visa issues, I had to leave the US. But, that kickstarted my digital nomad journey. I’m currently working as a remote/contract worker for my former employer (A startup in the US Automotive space, enabling people to literally buy cars online).

where are you currently?
Back home (Bangalore) for a hot minute.

where are you going?
Starting off with Asia (Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam, etc). Would love to spend 6 months in Europe later on.

Can be reached at:

image image image

1 Like

What’s your name?
Davide

Where are you from?
My hometown is Palermo, Italy, but I have been living in London for 10 years, not sure which one I should call home really :smiley:

10 Years I guess

What do you do?
I’ve done a bunch of things overtime:
Industrial Designer » UX Designer » Product Manager » Software Engineer
with photography and music thrown in between (Recorded two album and toured Italy a few times).

where are you currently?
Budapest for a month

where are you going?
Planning to explore the world, so for now something like Budapest » Prague » Singapore » Thailand » Bali

1 Like

What’s your name?
Yvonne
where are you from?
The Netherlands
how long have you been away from home?
Only about 6 weeks
what do you do?
I am a front-end developer (Pink Paisley Designs) and a guitar tech
where are you currently?
Maui, Hawaii
where are you going?
Staying here for a while
will you go home anytime soon?
Yes, but only for a few weeks before I leave again
what have you learnt during your time as a nomad?
I can feel at home pretty much anywhere!

I’d love to meet up with other nomads, because this is all new to me, even though I know for sure this is the lifestyle I love. :slight_smile:

1 Like

What’s your name?
Michel

where are you from?
Aruba

I have been away from home for around 19 years, but had two long stints in California and Florida, before finally going true nomad in June this year.

what do you do?
I am a software architect. What that really means is that I do a lot of Lynda courses and get myself involved in starting a lot of applications that someone else finishes.

where are you currently?
In Aruba
where are you going?
Dominican Republic for two weeks, then back to San Francisco(where my job is), then to Sao Paolo, back to Aruba, then Medellin.

I’m home now.

It’s not easy to eat healthy, so I tend to feel hungrier more often. Said goodbye to having a meaningful romantic relationship. It’s better to have less than more, so moving around is getting easier.

People are nice so far, but the more I nomad the more I want to have a base everywhere on earth :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi folks, I’m Anthony from Upstate NY (Washington County). I’ve been nomadic since May of this year (2018). I’m a programmer/project manager/indie hacker (you can check me out here: https://formico.io). I’m currently living near Medellín Colombia, planning to stay in Colombia until the holidays, then explore more of Latin America.

1 Like

tl,dr. Feel free to ping me to hangout/cocktails/co-working via Slack handle: @tomchentw.

Hi everyone, I’m Tom Chen (tomchentw) from Taiwan and I’ve been doing remote jobs since the beginning of 2015.

I worked mostly in web front-end, with specialities in React.js and Single-Page-Applications.

During leisure hours I like exploring cocktail bars and hostels, both are really new and interesting to me. I’m currently traveling/nomading in Singapore, and planned to go to Malaysia and Thailand in my next few weeks. Probably east Europe after these in the 2019 Winter/Spring.

Personality-wise, I’m an introvert but trying to be more socialized. I like meeting new people but not too much at the same time, which I really enjoy chatting deeply with a person in a day :slight_smile:.

1 Like

Hey all :slight_smile:

My name is Filip but everyone calls me flipchan,
Im a developer at a startup called Firo Solutions
. We just went live with our beta so check that out at : watchers dot firosolutions dot com

I am swedish and love to travel and work on cool projects so thats why i decided to become a digital nomad, i have been out for 3months now. I quit my regular day job and focused more on my side project Firo Solutions which is a saas platform for keneping track of software updates. Im looking forward to getting to know alot of you and seeing planet eart :wink:

1 Like

Hi Adam, I am also from the Uk too! I just moved to Bali to scout out the digtial nomad community here. My next stop is Sydney. However, I am keen to learn more about Chiang Mai. It sounds awesome from what I understand. Would it be cool to connect over email and talk some more? Also, I saw you want to hang out in France for a bit… My boyfriend is French so if you have any questions about France, let me know! Thanks, Alice!

1 Like

what’s your name?
Pedro Lopes
where are you from?
Brazil!
Hmm… left in 2016 - currently im in Uruguai, working with Infraestructure and IT Security.

what do you do?
Im a Forensic Investigator, Security IT Professional and IT Guy.
www.pedrolopespericias.com.br
If anyone need my jobs, i work Remote to! :smiley:
where are you currently?
Uruguai and Brazil -
where are you going?
Staying put for a few months.
what has been memorable for you so far?
Cataratas do Iguaçu - Argentina side
Maybe…
I need trip more! My brain need this!

2 Likes

Hello all! So excited to being participating in the nomad community!

My name is Kyle Maurer and I’m from Jackson, Michigan, USA. I’ve been working for a distributed company for the last seven years but am only now just starting to travel seriously. Three months from now I’ll be going on my first extended trip. My wife, daughter and I will be spending a month in Budapest followed by a few days in both Prague and Berlin. My intention is to take a working trip like this every year to a new destination.

I know it isn’t a full nomad lifestyle but I think it suits me and what works for my family.

Professionally I do marketing stuff for a WordPress plugin company called Sandhills Development. I also help organize some WordPress conferences, co-host a satirical WordPress advice podcast called Get Options, and play guitar in a band.

Looking forward to meeting many of you!

1 Like

Hello everyone!

I’m new here. My name is Mathieu, I’m from New-Brunswick, Canada. I have a background in hospitality, business, and science. I still live in N.B. these days, but have lived in France for 4 months as well as Ontario, Canada before. I have also traveled in the US for work, and Scotland when I was a kid.

I am looking to meet with digital nomads to better understand some of the problems and challenges found in this lifestyle. My intent is to solve some of those problems by founding a company by end of this summer 2019. As such, I would love to hear about the problems you have encountered and how we can make the digital nomad life easier, as well as any process of re-locating overall!

I’ve heard that Thailand is a good and affordable destination for a digital nomad life. As such, I am currently exploring the possibility of re-locating there for the summer, and to work from there. I would love to hear any suggestions, or tips you might have for this trip!

The idea of being a nomad is a very personal one, that is about freedom for me. I hope to immerse myself in this culture and to make it easier for people to be a nomad and to work and the same time.

My experience of moving to France a few years ago was lifechanging. It really provided some perspective in my life and motivated me to create a life on my own terms. And now here I am!

Would anyone be willing to have an introductory video conference call to discuss some of the challenges you have encountered as a nomad so far? I intend to solve some of those problems this summer, and who knows where our conversation may take us!

Thank you for your consideration! I am really looking forward to becoming a part of this community.
Sincerely,
Mathieu

1 Like

Hi Everybody,

I’m Mauro from Marche, Italia. I’ve been working as software engineer for around 12 years, and since less than a couple of years I started to work for a distributed company which allows me to live from wherever I like on the European timezones, and for a few weeks also on more “exotic” timezones. The salary is not the best but team looks great, I can learn a lot and I’m free to work from home with the “safety” of a normal full-time contract.

Unluckily for me I’m well in my little village and I don’t like to make travelling a routine, so I tend to spend most of the time at home; I try to organise a few short trips a year of one/two months taking a place somewhere, working with a normal schedule at home and exploring the surroundings during weekends and vacations… it works quite well for me :slight_smile:
I’m on Couchsurfing, BeWelcome and Workaway, and I love to host people in my village.

Next trips in theory Norway by motorbike in July/August, and I thinking quite seriously to Thailand in November/December, but I’m still collecting info.

In my ideal world little villages on hills like mine would be crowded by people like us, and I don’t really like to live in cities so I’m grateful to companies which allow people to work from home… and when I travel I tend to stay in cities also because so I can remember that I don’t like concrete, traffic and crowded places :joy:

Just signed-up in this website, ask me if you need info about Italia and my region in particular :pray:

1 Like

Hello everyone!
My name is Ana, I’m from Lisbon but currently in Malaga.

I’ve been away from home almost for 5 years.
I work for Oracle but my work allows me to be remote inside the EMEA area.

I am doing some side projects, namely the first coliving in Malaga.

Hope to exchange some ideas with other nomads.

Best
Ana

1 Like

Hi everyone!

My name is Tristan, and I’m from New Jersey in the states. I currently working in project management at a medical agency and have been here for almost 9 months. I have had a remote job in the past, but it was a contracted position, and this was in the cryptocurrency writing field.

I have traveled to over 65 countries in 6 continents and would love to travel more and explore the world! In my free time I enjoy biking, tennis, and investing (particularly in cryptocurrencies).

Currently, I am looking for any remote job in writing, project management, customer service, data entry, and more to try and be able to explore the world! Any direct contacts or referrals are appreciated!!!

2 Likes
  • what’s your name? Winnie
  • where are you from? Originally from Phoenix, AZ, USA
  • how long have you been away from home? i consider home as wherever i happen to be, but i have lived outside the US for more than half my life
  • what do you do? writer, Chinese-to-English translator, independent researcher
  • where are you currently? Berlin, Germany
  • where are you going? Tivat, Montenegro in July & August 2019
  • what has been memorable for you so far? the kindness of strangers
  • anyone interested in setting up a seasonal, coliving ski chalet around Saint-Gervais/Megève/Les Houches/Chamonix in Feb & March 2020?
1 Like

Hey Nomads! I’m new here. My name is Mike and I’m from the Netherlands :netherlands:. Since a couple of months I’m living the remote life. Before this I had an office with employees and all, but I was tired of being in the same space with the same people every day of the week.

What do I do?
I run an online marketplace platform for home improvement called Vindy. :moneybag:It’s doing around $1,000,000 ARR now. We generate leads from home owners and sell them to contractors.

Side hustle
Since I work remotely, I started a little side hustle called Upvoty. It’s a feedback tool for mainly startups and SaaS businesses. It’s a typical startup that came from “scratching my own itch”. Because of the many users within my other startup Vindy, we get a lot of feedback on a daily basis. I needed a good way to collect this feedback in 1 overview and a proper way to communicate this with our users. Couldn’t find a good tool for a fair price, so built one myself. :moneybag:It’s doing a little over $700 MRR now.

Where can you find me?
Please connect with me on Instagram. I share a lot of stories and posts about my startup progress and processes over there. Physically I am usually in the Netherlands (Eindhoven or Amsterdam), but I travel a lot to Lisbon, Portugal. Still need to travel to Asia or somewhere outside Europe to make a real digital nomad move here I guess :).

Happy to connect! :raised_hands:

1 Like

Hey, Josh here. I’m an Australian living on a small island in the Caribbean. That’s our base and we travel circa 6 months out of the year.

I’m looking for new friends who live a similar lifestyle. My girlfriend and I have lots of friends across the world, but it would be nice to have travel buddies also. Someone who appreciates that it’s not all adventure and pool parties, but needs solid work time also. I guess we are seeking someone who is already established and earning enough to be be able to afford something nicer than a hostel (no offence to anyone doing that sort of thing).

My company JMarketing has been around for quite a while now. We’re multi-award winning for our websites, have staff across 4 continents and deal with small and medium sized companies, as well as some silicon valley funded guys as well.

Looking forward to meeting some new buddies.

Josh & Tuscany

1 Like

What’s your name?
Yann Eves

Where are you from?
Brighton, United Kingdom :uk:

:flight_departure: My wife (Hannah) and I left Brighton in January 2018, though my childhood was also nomadic

What do you do?
My wife works in video :framed_picture:, games :space_invader:, and property management :houses:, and I work in all things automation / programming :robot:. Some people might call that work, at least!

Where are you currently?
Check out nomadlist/@yann

Where are you going?
We’ve been enjoying looking after pets and homes on Trusted Housesitters :house_with_garden: :cat2: :dog2: - so, wherever that takes us!

What has been memorable for you so far?
On a solemn note, we can’t shake the sad picture of environmental destruction overseas by China. Or for something more cheery, we joined a dive boat off the coast of North Sulawesi, Indonesia and saw more marine life :fish: :blowfish: :tropical_fish: than we’d seen in our lives. A close second would be our ascent up Arguille du Midi 3842m from Chamonix, France - on top of the world!

Will you go home anytime soon?
We will make stops at home at least a couple times a year, prompted by friends’ weddings :bride_with_veil: especially.

What have you learnt during your time as a nomad?
You can’t escape yourself :brain: - if you want an easy life, stay static, but you’ll be missing the extreme highs and lows a nomadic lifestyle will bring you.

1 Like

Hello!

My name is Matthew Gordon. I’m 26, from California, and acquired a remote software developer job about three months ago. I’m extremely excited to travel, meet new people, and see what experiences the world has to offer. I have been in Mexico for a bit, but now deciding where to go next. My top choices at the moment are Prague, Budapest, and Belgrade. But please hit me up if you have recommendations, I’m open to many things.

I LOVE trying new foods/restaurants, finding unique bars for drinks, dancing, road trips, really anything as long as it’s with good people. I also play guitar, read novels, and am starting to get into photography.

As an ice breaker, I’ll start with a short story. One of the best things I’ve ever done was buy and ride a motorbike across Vietnam. It took about two and a half weeks. I started In Hanoi and ended in Ho Chi Minh City. Even though the bike would break in a different way every day, and the storms would loose winds that tried to blow me off the road I had the time of my life. I was in no way unique doing this but the people I met, the adventures I had, and the sense of freedom made it unforgettable.

Please hit me up if you want to talk about cities, traveling, guitar, or anything you want. I’m also quite easy to convince when deciding on a place to travel to.

I look forward to meeting everyone!

What’s your name?
Guilherme Luchesi

Where are you from?
Brazil

I’ve lived in Ireland for a year but in this new adventure it has been only 4 months

What do you do?
I am a WordPress developer and that’s what has brought me so far, but I’m trying to find new ways for a living as teaching financial hacks and also considering dropshipping

Where are you currently?
Portugal

Where are you going?
Spain > France > Italy > Turkey > ???

Will you go home anytime soon?
As long as my girlfriend and I still have money to keep travelling, I don’t think so

What have you learnt during your time as a nomad?
Actually, I’m still on the process of learning, that now I am a nomad and not a tourist haha