Introduce yourself — who are you, where are you and what do you do?

what’s your name? Chris
where are you from? San Francisco (but originally from Sydney)
how long have you been away from home? Many years
what do you do? I’m helping Tbilisi, Georgia’s co-working space build their Digital Nomad program
where are you currently? Tbilisi
where are you going? Berlin (tomorrow May 16-18, 2016 if anyone wants to meet up!)
what has been memorable for you so far? The amazing people I’ve met in Koh Lanta
will you go home anytime soon? TBD
what have you learnt during your time as a nomad? Always give and you’ll receive!
My own question: If anyone is in Berlin May 16-18 and would like to meet up I’d love to meet up!

Im’ there right now :smiley: Meetup someone ?

Hello my name is Jay Kim from south korea.
I was all around the world last 13 years and moved back to seoul where I’m originally from.
believe or not I feel like I’m a nomad in my own land.
I’m working for startup incubator as evangelist and running coworking place in korea.
also do many projects including adb project in vietnam and other network thingy all over the place. and I’ m seoul host for creativemornings as well.

I was nomad in India, Singapore,Africa last 13 years and studied in paris many years ago.
I learned so many things like adapting to other culture,exploring around without fear, surviving wherever I am.

Come and visit me in seoul ! the city where I live somehow is underrated in so many ways.

Another newcomer here, hi everyone.

what’s your name? Sylvie
where are you from? Germany (and I’m half British)
how long have you been away from home? 10 years or so
what do you do? Professionally, I’m a translator for German, English, and Japanese. In my spare time, I try to learn more languages (I speak decent Turkish, okay Persian, and Russian has been the bane of my existence for as long as I can remember, but I WILL LEARN IT SOMEDAY.)
where are you currently? Boring old Oxford, after I accidentally got stuck here doing a two-year Masters Degree (Linguistics – luckily, the terms are short and I got to spend several months in Turkey and Iran along the way). I’m almost done and the novelty of having a permanent address has long worn off, so I’m itching to get going again.
where are you going? Jamaica and the US first (for a wedding and to catch up with friends, rather than as first-choice destinations, but I’m excited), then Naha, Okinawa for the duration of a 90-day visa, possibly Iran for some skiing in the winter, Queensland in January, then I’ll hang out in KL or Manila until some of the rest of the world warms up again and move on to Almaty. All vague ideas and subject to spontaneous changes.
what has been memorable for you so far? Getting to know some of my favourite cities (especially Istanbul and Kobe) like the back of my hand without ever bothering with the touristy places. Also an impromptu holiday to Afghanistan last summer, which was fantastic.
will you go home anytime soon? For longer than ten days at a time? Only if my parents need to be taken care of in old age. In terms of settling somewhere, probably Istanbul for a few years at some point; I want to buy a flat there (as an investment, though, rather than to stay in it forever).
what have you learnt during your time as a nomad? That people seem to assume I will get bored of being nomadic and settle into a much more exciting stationary lifestyle. How do you even get bored of the world? There’s so much of it.

what’s your name? Tim
where are you from? New York
how long have you been away from home? 2 years
what do you do? I’m a writer for numerous online publications, and I maintain a popular blog called The Adversity Within. My work is focused on an interdisciplinary study of loss, adversity and resilience, so I also do some consulting related to navigating tragedy. I also work as a professional editor for authors and companies.
where are you currently? Chiang Mai
where are you going? I’ll likely stay in SE Asia the rest of the year.
what has been memorable for you so far? Thailand is an incredible place and I find that it’s an amazing place to write. I spend a lot of time doing motorbike excursions wherever I go so I’ve seen some pretty spectacular sites that way.
will you go home anytime soon? Not indefinitely. I’ll just plan to visit once or twice per year.
what have you learnt during your time as a nomad? That living on your own terms truly is simple, but not easy. I’ve learned the value of discipline and how to embrace uncertainty on a level I never had previously.

Hi my name is Glen and I’m originally from Belgium. I’m a nomad since christmas living in different regions of Brazil. Before that I’ve been living in the UK for 2 years.

I’m a freelance programmer to pay the bills, while I work on a non-profitable project of my own. While I travel I would definitely be interested to find people who use their software/hardware skills to help their community, locally or globally. I do volunteering now and than, but have never been able to use my deep tech skills as a volunteer.

In July I’ll leave to Peru and will go down south from there. I think.

I started this journey with a partner, but we broke up in the meanwhile. Doing this journey on my own is definitely not easy. Which is I suppose one of the reasons why I’m also joining this community. I do like meeting locals, but it’s not always easy. People often have to work and have other obligations, and you can’t just jump in a persons life and slip out of it 1 month later. It’s not easy. But it does make me face myself in ways that I hadn’t had to face myself before. And all in all, it’s all worth it.

Hi All!
what’s your name? Dennis
where are you from? New York
how long have you been away from home? I’ve been away from “home” off and on for 2.5 years, longest stretch was 7 months.
what do you do? Current professional role is a combination of IT Support, Implementation, and Project Managment
where are you currently? New York
where are you going? Next places are Peru and Iceland
what has been memorable for you so far? Awesome times and people I met in Ecuador
what have you learnt during your time as a nomad? Make the best out of any situation as well as to appreciate and enjoy the small things in life.

what’s your name?
Laulau

where are you from?
Originally from Belgium

how long have you been away from home?
9 years

what do you do?
Wedding, Lifestyle & Travel Photography at Kama Catch Me Photography and Nomads & Drifters photography

Where are you currently?
Fiji (been a nomad in The Netherlands, Finland, Nepal, UK, Uganda, Fiji)

where are you going?
Melbourne or Japan to live part time and travel to Indonesia (would love to meet likeminded people there) and Oregon USA

what has been memorable for you so far?
living in different countries and experiencing different cultures, climates and landscapes, the differences and similarities between cultures and figuring out the why people do what they do

will you go home anytime soon?
I am home wherever I live

what have you learnt during your time as a nomad?
It has its ups and downs, its harder practically but you have more diverse life experiences.

Hi Pals! My name is Camilla and I am the founder of eNomad, an app for digital nomads available on Google Play. I am myself a digital nomad, travelled to +countries, lived in 8 as an expatriate and currently in Spain.
Traveling is oxygen and a way to build peace on the planet. I will not make war with countries whose face is the one of the buddy that I have met on my path.

Hey Nomads,

We are an American nomad family. Before heading out in Sep 2015, we were long-time Amazon.com employees and expats working in South Africa, Luxembourg, and the United States.

Sarah is now a fiction writer - in May she won the 2016 NYC Midnight Short Story Challenge - and I’m working on Nomadica, an eco-store for digital nomads and nomad families.

Born in Luxembourg and raised in South Africa, our son Spencer is now a citizen of the world, having lived in South Africa, USA, Japan, Thailand, Malaysia, and Hungary in the past year.

We’re currently in Budapest, but are heading to Split, Croatia in a few weeks. We’re slow travelers, so generally stick to a place for 2-3 months. After that it’s back Cape Town for a visit.

Travel Well Friends!
David & Sarah

Awesome people,

Nice to meet you! I’m Carlien, from the Netherlands. At the moment I’m still planning becoming a digital nomad (and selling all my stuff - which is more work then expected). I’m a freelancer in online communication, f.e. graphic design, webdesign, webdevelopment, copywriting, social strategies etc. Currently I’m in Utrecht in the Netherlands, at the end of August I will leave this country (can’t wait - even though I really love this city - you should visit!).

I love coffee, wine & good food - so I’ll hope to be enjoying these with you somewhere on this pretty planet. Cheers!

Hi All,

My name is Josh. I’m from Toronto, Canada and have been working remotely since 2012. I have been working from the Sacred Valley of Peru for the last three years with occasional trips back to Canada. I do full stack web development with Django, Rails and a few front-end JS Frameworks. I am currently thinking about making a move to Barcelona or Lisbon in the next year but one never knows…

In the meantime, I would be happy to answer any questions related to working as a DN in the Sacred Valley…

Take care…

Hello Digital Nomad Forum. Here’s my introduction.

What’s your name?
Ben

Where are you from?
Anchorage, Alaska (USA)

How long have you been away from home?
I’m not a nomad yet, but hope to be some day.

What do you do?
I manage websites, social media and all forms of digital communications for a local credit union (bank). I worked as a newspaper journalist (photographer, reporter, copy editor, page design/graphics) prior to my current position.

Where are you currently?
Anchorage, Alaska

Where are you going?
I’m most interested in being a nomad in Spain, but may consider other European countries for my initial adventure as a digital nomad.

Other
The nature of my current position allows me to work remotely. I’m hoping to gain insights from the Digital Nomad Forum that will help me find a way that I can work overseas for a few months during winter. I’m most fascinated by Spanish culture and am trying to advance my Spanish language skills, so Spain is where I’d love to go first.

I’m happy to pass along any advice for persons hoping to be a nomad in Alaska.

Hi, my name is Andreia.
I’m from Brazil. I have been away from home just 2 months. I get in the path as nomad digital recently.
I’m work with UI/UX Design and Illustrations.
I’m now i Vancouver.
what has been memorable for you so far: Notice that I can change my path, create my own reality.
Where I’m going, I have no ideia, but I’m sure will be some place as cool as the way of before.
If am I go home anytime soon…Not. I hope not. =)
what have you learnt during your time as a nomad? -> I still learn how balance my financial situation and also be comfortable with unexpected…I’m new in this path…

Hi Guys, my name is Lucas and I’m CTO of a web company called HERB (it was The Stoner’s Cookbook).
I’m about to leave New Zealand and head to the UK in August (finally using my British Passport lol). Was great to get some cheap UK pounds thanks to Brexit… but the rest of Brexit worries me!
I’m going to AirBnBing month-by-month around the UK, Ireland and France/Europe so I thought joining Nomad List would be useful :slight_smile:

Hey there, I’m Inanna, expatting for the third time, this time starting in Columbia, and making my way to Nicaragua via Panama. Companion and I are both working on online projects, so Nica seems a cool inexpensive place to get lots of work done. I lived in Spain for several years, as well as Mexico City and Chicago. The coolest thing about my travels is that I was in Europe when they changed over to the Euro, and whether you think that was a good or bad thing, it was awfully fun to be in the middle of such a huge deal, helping the elderly people count out their money in the store. My first travel outside the US was to a Pakistani wedding. I was hooked.

what’s your name?
My name is Patrick
where are you from?
I’m from Vancouver, BC, Canada
how long have you been away from home?
On this trip so far, it’s only been a month. It’s myself, my fiance, and our 2 year old daughter and we plan to be gone for about 8 months.
what do you do?
I’m a head hunter/recruiter but I also run the hiring processes for other organizations from start to finish, not just pure head hunting
where are you currently?
One of my favourite locations, Chiang Mai.
where are you going?
Vietnam is next up for us
what has been memorable for you so far?
This is my first time doing a long journey with a kid, so it’s been quite the adjustment
will you go home anytime soon?
Hopefully not!
what have you learnt during your time as a nomad?
It’s crazy how many different jobs and ways to make a living that exist. It’s really mind opening to see all the different ways that people earn a living. When you are working a 9-5 day job in an office, you only see a limited subset of jobs, it’s easy to forget that there are limitless ways to parlay your skills into a business

Hi all!

My name is Matthew Weeks. Born, raised, and educated in Canada.

I recently decided to try out being a digital nomad. As a result, I am currently in Bangkok, Thailand. I’ll be here for a week before I start making my way south (town-by-town) to Ko Phangan for the full-moon party on July 21st!

If anyone has any tips, or is down to meetup, let me know!

I can’t meet up, but I would recommend visiting Kanchanaburi Province if the rain is not too intense. Easy drive, but stay overnight. And take the train trip. Hellfire Pass and the Museum about the Death Railroad are worth it, despite the grim names. Also, do not travel on Thai highways at night - ever. Thailand has the 2nd highest traffic fatality rate in the world.

I am Mark, from San Francisco, traveling for the past 40+ years, living intermittently in Southeast Asia, the UK, Austria and perhaps in Estonia part-time in the near future. I am aiming for full non-locality. I am a practicing artist and also manage businesses related to scientific instrumentation engineering services.