Introduce yourself — who are you, where are you and what do you do?

what’s your name?
Michelle!

where are you from?
Vancouver Island, BC Canada

how long have you been away from home?
I visited home in the summer, but I originally left in Oct 2016

what do you do?
Online ESL teacher… looking to branch out

where are you currently?
Chiang Mai

where are you going?
I haven’t decided yet… I will get away for a few months, maybe NZ? Nepal?

what has been memorable for you so far?
I’ve made some lasting and amazing friendships… and learned so much along to the way.

will you go home anytime soon?
I don’t expect another visit until Feb 2019

what have you learned during your time as a nomad?
That is seems super glorious but in reality, there are a lot of sacrifices along the way. It can be incredibly lonely, and it takes a particular amount of inner strength.

I’m in Chiang Mai currently and I spent two months in Budapest last Spring. I loved Budapest! Visa can be an issue in both places for me, but I prefer Chiang Mai. I expect to visit Budapest again in the summer. Both cities are excellent as far as being affordable and well connected to other areas for travel and adventure. Both have many expats and tourists, but Europe and SE Asia are very different so the similarities end there!

Hi,

My wife Lindsey and I are both Digital Nomads that have traveled a good deal - me 11 Countries - her 48(she’s dominating me).

We have both loved meeting people on our journeys so we have now created a place for us to live that allows us to get the same experiences without leaving:

The SWAP Loft - Stay Work And Play - Austin, Texas! StayWorkAndPlay.com

The SWAP Loft is a CoLiving and CoWorking community with 3 locations in Austin, Texas - come check us out if you ever visit one of the best cities in the world!

We have also just welcomed our first child in November and plan to travel extensively with him while “Worldschooling” him. We are very interested in meeting other members that have traveled as a digital nomad family because we are intent on challenging the limiting belief that once you have a child, your travel days are done.

This community is amazing and we are so happy to have found it! We look forward to sharing all we have learned and learning from all of you - thanks again for putting this together!

Sean

Hey! Rebecca
From New Zealand
I travel 11 months of the year putting on events around the world for Access Consciousness®, Joy of Business and my own business.
Been traveling all of my life, first hopped on a plane at 3 and went to 11 countries before I was 10.
I’m the Creative Producer of Joy of Business, Australasia Event Coordinator for Access Consciousness, Author, Facilitator and Private Business Consultant in my own business.
At home with family
BNE, BUD, CPH, VCE, BOM, MEL
Never having itchy feet because I’m always on the road.
Love creating my own reality.]

Hello everyone!
Nice to virtually meet some of you. Or even all of you. :slight_smile:

• what’s your name?
    Dave, David, “hey you”

• where are you from?
    Originally I’m Russian. So, vodka and bears are my eternal friends.

• how long have you been away from home?
    Last time I was living in Dubai, UAE for 4+ years. Then I was traveling like crazy, chasing a girl. Some kind of love story, yeps. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• what do you do?
    I’m a development department management. Third most important dude in the company. Or something like that. :slight_smile:

• where are you currently?
    Moscow, Russia. Then I’m heading to Ukraine. Gosh, this country is extremely cheap!

• where are you going?
    Ukraine, Prague, Budapest, some other places. I’m a good boy and will track all of the upcoming travels on my fancy nomad page.

• what has been memorable for you so far?
    My “love story travel”. Well, it was something.

• will you go home anytime soon?
    Probably no. I’m expecting to come back not earlier than in 3 months. Maybe even four.

• what have you learn during your time as a nomad?
    Russian Mcdonald’s is the best, so far.

• Do you like kittens?
    Yes, I do, thanks for asking. :3

Sounds like an interesting job description jremick. How has it evolved since you posted? Habitat

wa ,cool 28 country.i am chinese

add me linken study for you

cool cool

can send email to [email protected] i will go chiang mai,have whatsapp? my number,+8613722615324 can we become friend,i wll february 1 arrive chiang mai

coco 

can add my whatsapp?

Hi!

I am Val, I am from France but I lived abroad more than half of my life.

I grew up in Mali, Central African Republic and Niger. I came back to France for my high school and university studies. Then I moved to the Netherlands where I stayed 8 years.
Then, 4 years ago I moved to California ~ bay area.

I am a front-end coder for nearly 15 years. I have been coding with Flash, JS, Haxe and I am mostly doing Android dev now (Java).

So far, I mostly moved and settled (long-term… like 5+years) from place to places. But now that life is giving me more flexibilities, I am exploring the idea of working remotely for 1 or 2 months, 2 or 3 times a year.

Because I am committed with a full time job and a team based in the USA, I am more looking for options in South / central America as it would allow me to stay on a similar time-zone.

I am looking forward to learn more about you guys & gals experiences and to find some inspiration for my (near)future escapes.

In between escapes, I will remain based in San Francisco - Do not hesitate to ping me if you need recommendations, tips and stuff. I also work from one the coolest (if not the coolest) co-working space in SF downtown.

Cheers!

Hi fellow nomads, this is Luis from Mexico, I started the nomadic lifestyle 10 months ago when I started traveling and working remotely for a company from the US, I used to live there (Seattle) and started traveling through South America. Once there I decided to start my food documentary project, making videos of the local dishes and people behind it; it’s called Nomad Cook. (nomadcook(.)org)

I’m not planning to stop traveling soon, I’ll only stop to touch base in Mexico to see my family for couple of months but I’ll be working on the project while there. Mexico has plenty of diverse food options to offer.

After that I’ll wether stay traveling through Mexico or go to SEA, but for now; I’m currently in Peru and heading next to Ecuador, then Colombia, Panamá, Costa Rica and Guatemala. I’m living now through the culture of minimalism, sharing and community.

At this point, I decided to quit my job and be a full time nomad, I’m still living out of savings and will take a freelance gig if necessary, but my main focus right now is this project I’m working on now. I choose the .org domain because I would like to create an organization to help creating sense of community and help with poverty issues and tech integration. I know it sounds ambitious but I’ve been collaborating with some local non-profits and organizations that inspired me to give that twist to my project.

I’m still working on creating an audience in order to connect with other fellow travelers, volunteers, projects and inspiration. I’ve been also volunteering for other small projects helping them with professional photography and video creation since they couldn’t afford to pay for this services from a local professional.

Lots of hard work to do. If you find this project interesting or inspiring, or at least worth it, please share and subscribe to my channels on instagram and youtube, which are the main ones I’m putting most of my effort at. You can find them in the blog quoted above.

Also, if you have any advice, would definitely heard. I’m learning to do all this (video editing, researching, publishing, marketing (online and traditional), traveling, volunteering and whatnot.

Thanks for reading and if you’re in South America in the next months, we might run into each other.

Luis.
Nomad Cook.

what’s your name?
Hi fellow nomads! My name is Shalini and currently I am more with you guys in spirit than in flesh. That is because although I tried hard and finally landed a remote job two years back (which I absolutely love), I actually have a spouse and kids, so can’t take the plunge to become a true nomad as yet.
where are you from?
Originally from India, I have settled in the US for close to 14 years now and call it home.
I am untethered from the office, which is great but yet tethered to a physical location. My goal is to taste the nomad lifestyle by taking the kids to a new country each year during the summer, and staying there awhile as I continue to work.
what do you do?
I am a biomedical scientist by training and a regulatory writer by vocation.
where are you currently?
San Jose, CA
where are you going?
Looking forward to going to Chiang Mai during the summer of 2018.
Just reading the comments and knowing more about this lifestyle has been wonderful so far.
Trick question!
what have you learnt during your time as a nomad?
N/A
My question to those of you who have kids or contemplating a family- how do you guys do it?

what’s your name?

Ruben

where are you from?

Legally Germany

Don’t really have a sense of Home anywhere. Moved around alot as a kid and decided to continue the trend as an adult.

what do you do?

Machine Learning & Data Warehousing consulting for money. But >50% of my time is dedicated to testing web startup ideas.

where are you currently?

Zurich

where are you going?

I remote work with guys in Eastern Europe so trips to the Ukraine Estonia and Lithuania coming up. London / Oxford in October.

The next level of freedom one feels with a computer in a backpack riding down a highway on a motorcycle with no need to show up to a specific place at any specific time.

Yea I am keeping an apartment in Zurich right now.

The Yellow construction site ear protectors are way better than bose noise canceling

Hi. My name is Ricardo and both me and my wife are nomads. we’re from São Paulo, Brazil and we decided to become nomads right after we marry. We then sold what we had back home and are now traveling and setting up our business to be able to continue doing this for the rest of our lives. As we both worked in HR for a big company, our business is related to Human resources.

We’re now in Bali. Been through a lot of places during last months, but we expect to travel less from now on because no human can properly work while changing city/country each 10 days! We will still be traveling a lot until August 18 but then kinda settle 3-6 months each place.

We plan to be back home for 1 month/year… family and friends back home are much valued!

I hope we can find beer/meal partners, business partners and travel partners here and contribute to enable this lifestyle to as much as possible to more and more people.

Hi everyone. My name is Andrea and I am a PhD student in Los Angeles. I lived in seven cities in my twenties, and traveled to about 30 countries within those years as well. I worked as a web developer, as a journalist and as community manager, all for big, well-known media companies. Nonetheless, I became more and more interested in nomads as a social phenomenon, so I decided to come back to school to study the community. I am always looking for nomads to interview, to tell me pretty much what you have written in this forum but with a bit more detail. I am Colombian and will spend the summer in Medellin doing research, so let me know if you are around! And if not, I would still like to talk.

Cheers and good travels to all!

I’m Mike from the US. I joined just today because I am planning my early retirement and I found this on a blog.

Currently I am in technology, I’m 51 and I am about 3 years from retirement. I worked in the UK for years and so I am taking my first payout of my pension at 55 then calling it quits. I’m secure financially and I plan to live perpetually on the road.

I’ve lived and worked in many places around the world, BKK, UK, Eastern Europe, South America and of course the US. I’m currently in Texas (largely to not pay state income tax!).

I’m really looking forward to connecting with others.

what’s your name?
Swinda

where are you from?
Germany

5 years or a bit more

what do you do?
Webdesign, Wordpress-sites, Logodesign,… and i have a Coworking Space in costa rica by the beach.

where are you currently?
Costa Rica, because there are waves for surfing every day.

where are you going?
europe

how free life can be

to visit yes. or home is costa rica now!?

that living away from home is sometimes not so easy as it sounds like. but with every situation you grow. and that having a child can change the needs of a digital nomad.

who you wanna meet?
i wanna meet more independent, free ans smart people how digital nomads are. come to my office in santa teresa, costa rica, where i created a little coworking and coliving space. i’m a webdesigner and i work from here. google for “cowork swinda” you find more about me…see you soon!

what’s your name? Sean
where are you from? Currently I am in San Francisco. Born in Chicago, lived CO, OH, WI, VA but spent most of my life in various cities in Michigan.
how long have you been away from home? I don’t know what is home. One sister in the northeast USA, another in the west coast, parents in Florida. My wife and baby are in the Philippines. I don’t feel I have roots anywhere. I have been in SF for 3 years, so I guess this is my new home for a couple more months.
what do you do? Psychiatrist. Hence Dr No Mad (or I guess could be Dr No Sad, Dr No OCD, etc). I will be doing telepsychiatry, so that I have flexibility to live where I want
where are you currently? San Francisco
where are you going? I don’t know. Maybe I will set up some sort of base in Florida, or SF, or Portland, or Seattle, and from that point be more nomadic-ish. For sure will be spending time in the Philippines, probably in Cebu or Dumaguete or Taguig. I have a wife and baby, so I am still trying to plan
what has been memorable for you so far? I chose to live in a GMC Suburban once while in Grand Rapids Michigan. The winter killed me.
will you go home anytime soon? I need to make a home, I don’t feel like I know what home is.
what have you learnt during your time as a nomad? I kind of had a nomadic life, going from place to place, but… I don’t even think I have really lived like a nomad yet, or at least in the way I want to be nomadic. I wouldn’t have called what I did nomadic, until I take a step back and realized a span of years where I moved more than once a year. I have spent a lot of time living out of boxes, and never feeling ‘settled.’ I want to spend some time ‘settling’ somewhere. Then… eventually settling somewhere else. And feel like I can do it faster and faster.

Hi everyone, I’m Thomas from the UK.

where are you from?
Growing up I followed my parents around the country as my father changed jobs so lived in a bunch of places and none of them really feel like home, but most of my friends and family live in and around London and thats where I go back to.

I moved to China six years ago and have been living here since then. I go back to Europe 1 or 2 times per year.

what do you do?
I do/have done various informal jobs here in China (tour guide, English teacher, premium alcohol sales), FBA to an inconsistent degree of success and am currently working on developing an ODM product, a portable standing desk for Digital Nomads and other people who are on the move a lot for work.

where are you currently?
Shanghai.

where are you going?
Next week I’m heading to Chengdu and will hire a car and be driving for a few days up in the Himalayan foothills before going to Tangjiuhui, the largest alcohol trade show in the world (I no longer work in the industry but a lot of my friends will be there and its a big party!). I’m heading to the Osaka region for a few days in April. May I’m planning to head to Laos then Chiang Mai. June is the planned launch date for the Kickstarter for my product so will see how that goes but hopefully I’ll be busy with that.

So many things. The first couple of years in Chongqing were pretty wild, and motorbiking through Vietnam.

I plan to head home sometime in the next year. I got married last year and want to start a family soon, and want to spend more time with my parents as they are getting older. I hope to be able to continue my current lifestyle of having a base somewhere and taking a trip somewhere every month or so.

I wouldn’t really describe myself as a true nomad as I have a lease on an apartment and spend most of my time in one place, but being away from home so a long time has highlighted how important my relationships with the people I care about are to me.

If anyone has any questions about China life please hit me up, and I hope to meet up with some of you guys when I’m somewhere with a higher concentration of nomads.