Introduce yourself — who are you, where are you and what do you do?

• What’s your name?
    Tom Allen

• Where are you from?
    Sydney, Australia

• How long have you been away from home?
    A month, but this is just the start

• What do you do?
    What don’t I do? I am a Systems Engineer some days, a Full Stack Developer the others and when I find the time I am a teacher of programming in schools. Willing to learn heaps more :slight_smile: particularly bleeding edge stuff like Tensorflow (my latest hobby)

• Where are you currently?
    Nearly on a plane to Madrid

• Where are you going?
    Madrid, duh. Also Morocco :wink:

• What has been memorable for you so far?
    It’s a weird one… I went to a private school, rich and thick like cream. Wanted to be Jordan Belfort. Since I’ve travelled and experienced the third world I’ve been humbled. The West thinks “they” are in need, wrong “we” are in need. Money can’t buy happiness. Tyler Durden represent… now I just do Jordan Belfort things on the weekend

• Will you go home anytime soon?
    Hopefully not, I want the world to be my home

• What have you learnt during your time as a nomad?
    What matters in life, things about other cultures and ways of living

Hey Tom, fellow Aussie here. I’ll be in Spain/Morocco from August, hit me up if you’re still around by then! Cheers, Lucas

Hey fellow nomads,

What’s your name?
Lucas

Where are you from?
Melbourne, Australia

How long have you been away from home?
7 months

What do you do?
I just launched my own finance business a few months ago and it’s gradually turning into something I can see sustaining myself indefinitely with.

Where are you currently?
Bucharest at the moment, just starting my month in Romania.

Where are you going?
A bit more of Romania, then Serbia and Bosnia before flying to Spain via Cologne. I think I’ll be in Spain and maybe Morocco for a few months but nothing really planned past August at the moment.

What has been memorable for you so far?
Driving around the Balkans for 5 months (currently 3 months in). I had no idea how incredibly easy, fun and friendly this region would be. 5 months is not nearly long enough and I know I’ll be back here soon.

Will you go home anytime soon?
Nope. Planning to set down roots somewhere in Europe once the Hungarian immigration department gives me my citizenship & EU passport. I’ll probably go back to Aus to visit family in about 2 years though.

What have you learnt during your time as a nomad?
Just how fortunate I am to have a nomadic opportunity like this. Every other backpacker I meet asks me for a job or picks my brain about how they can ‘live the dream’ like me. I’ve learnt to constantly keep myself in check and be grateful for the lifestyle I have.

Hello everyone!

I like how you format questions and answers Lucas, therefore I’ll do the same.

What’s your name?
Piotrek. I like number π (pi; 3,14…) as much as I enjoy trekking, that is why my name is pronounced π-o’trek. Mind that the “pi-” sound is more like in Greek “pita” :stuffed_flatbread: than in English “pie” :pie:.

Where are you from?
Katowice, Poland.

I’m more or less six months in Poland and six months away every year.

What do you do?
For about ten years I was working as a tour manager, working a lot in Italy with Polish tourists. This experience helped me start my business focused on improving the relationship between tourism professionals and travellers via mobile tech.

Where are you currently?
At this moment I’m enjoying summer months in Poland, going around my hometown to places like Kraków and Wrocław.

Where are you going?
When the summer here is over, I’m going to Australia or Japan.

My first overseas trip to Japan in 2011 opened my eyes to the idea of a grand adventure. During that time I met several people, who made travelling a key element of their lifestyle and I decided to follow their lead. Eventually, I decided to connect it with online business and start the digital nomad path in February 2018.

Will you go home anytime soon?
I’m “home” right now, but it is more my parent’s home than mine. The plan is to sell it as soon as possible, so they can be more location independent too.

What have you learnt during your time as a nomad?
That future is not evenly distributed, and we can help to make a difference. Volunteering and then working in cafes and coworking spaces enabled me to experience firsthand everyday life in different countries. The money we use to pay for local infrastructure, but also our positive attitudes and vibes are influencing people in their environment. It’s a responsibility that is best approached with mindfulness.

What’s your name?
Duncan

Where are you from?
Family are from Scotland, I grew up in England, Scotland, Belgium. I’d say that I’m a eurokid more than anything else.

Brussels was probably my most long running home so I’ve been aware from there for about 10 years.

What do you do?
I like sailing quite a lot. Work wise I tend to be more on the commercial side within tech so product, marketing, commercial etc.

Where are you currently?
Right now this second I am on my boat with my partner and our dog up the river Crouch in England.

Where are you going?
We’re heading back south tomorrow towards London/Kent.

We accidentally found a river with a whole load of seals this week, that was fun. I counted around 40 in total including pups.

Who are you interested in meeting?
Anyone interested in sailing, kitesurfing, tech (business side), good wine.

My name is Melanie and I am originally from Mississippi but currently live in the Southern California desert. I am just beginning my nomad life and happy to find a place where I can hopefully be supported as I learn my way. I am a writer and am going to South Africa in early November. I am looking forward to creating my memories.

Any insights into must sees and dos in SA would be greatly appreciated.

Hello friends!

what’s your name?
Dmitry
where are you from?
That’s a tough one. Originally from Russia, but living in US… wait…no I travel a lot.
how long have you been away from home?
I’m not away from home. Home is travelling with me.
what do you do?
I’m a Software QA Engineer or how it’s also called a QA Engineer. In other words, I break software and enjoy it. Been working in the office, as well as remotely.
where are you currently?
Reno, Nevada
where are you going?
Mexico city, Mexico. Always wanted to go there.
what has been memorable for you so far?
The most memorable thing for me is travelling in my Van. Getting away from everyone and everything, somewhere in the desert. That’s a great feeling, although sometimes it does feel lonely, so here I am to make friends.
what have you learnt during your time as a nomad?
I’ve learnt how weird society is. It’s built around some nonsense regulations and sometimes really strange things. For example, most of the companies don’t trust people and think that sitting whole day in office makes sense. For me it doesn’t I feel much more productive when working remotely.
Are you interesting in talking to fellow nomads and meeting?
Absolutely!

what’s your name?
Lars

where are you from?
Germany

what do you do?
I am a programmer/back end developer (mainly PHP/Javascript/MySQL/HTML/CSS).

where are you currently?
In Germany, near Cologne.

where are you going?
Not sure yet, but I’d like to spend autmn/winter in a warmer country, probably either Spain or a Latin American Country.

what is your personality like?
I’m very much introvert.

The other questions seem to be addressed to someone who already is a nomad, but I am not yet. I’m going to become a digital nomand and registered here to gather information and meet friends who are nomads yet. I did travel though in the past. I travelled to Venezuela(when the crisis was by far not that hard there) and to Ecuador. I stayed there 6 weeks each and also had to work remotely from there. The rest was holidays, but I did not seek contact to nomads there (lacking awareness) and travelled back home after both journeys, that’s why I don’t call myself a nomad yet. Last year I walked the Way of St. James from Pamplona to Santiago de Compostela and further until Finisterre and Muxía (about 820km hiking).

I like the idea to share a flat with other digital nomads somewhere and work together on accomplishing a project.

I’m justin.

I weld.

I’m going to start freelancing soon.

I’m in the U.S.

what’s your name?
Laura & Dan
where are you from?
Laura’s from Texas, Dan is from California, we met in NYC and lived in Vermont for 8 years before a 3 year stint in MPLS and now PDX is home
We start Sept '18 and plan to travel for 2 years or more.
what do you do?
Dan was in web development & data project management, Laura was an entertainment technologist - we both plan to write.
where are you currently?
Portland, OR
where are you going?
We’re headed to the Camino and then have an open itinerary.
Figuring out how to pack our lives into 150 square feet of storage.
will you go home anytime soon?
Not if we can help it.
The best travel has some element of accident to it.

We are thrilled to join Nomadlist and look forward to interacting with others.

Hello fellow Nomads,
This is Nilanjan ( you can call me Nil) :slightly_smiling_face:
I am from Kolkata in India.
I have stayed away from home for most of my professional life.
I am an experienced Project Manager trying to transition into the exciting world of Digital Marketing and Digital Analytics.
where are you currently? presently I am back home and looking for some remote work in Digital Marketing. :slight_smile:

what’s your name?
Pieter
where are you from?
South Africa
Hmm… Left in 2004, returned in 2006. Left again in 2007 and only returned permanently in 2015. Left again on and off since then and have not been back since Nov '17.
what do you do?
Currently General Manager for a consultancy company, MBA student. Previously IT project management.
where are you currently?
Malta. Well, Gozo to be more specific.
where are you going?
Staying put for a few months.
Since 2004? Kabul HHH 2008 - 2014. :footprints:
Err… do I have to answer than now mom? :smiley:
Never underestimate anybody or judge them before you know them. Even then be careful of judging.

what’s your name?
Clair
where are you from?
South Africa - but grew up in Virginia
7 months
what do you do?
Start up technology in arena of medical devices and AI involving blind and low vision - clients get smart glasses and we access the camera when they need sighted assistance
where are you currently?
The Netherlands
where are you going?
Belgium, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, Dubai, Bangkok, Bali, Hanoi, maybe China, Australia, then back home
being in France for FIFA 2018
what have you learned during your time as a nomad?
plan some, walk a lot in any direction, say yes

I’m Ken Jones, always an awkward name because I’m from Uruguay (no my parents were not missionaries or in the military; I’m a 4th or 5th generation Uruguayan). But I was born to travelers so I have been an ex-pat since I was 9. Lived in 9 countries and visited 37. That paultry total (compared to many of you) is about to change as I retire in December and become a full-time nomad without any home base. My 2019 journey at present includes my living in Haiti, the Dominican Republic, Turkey, Austria, and Ecuador. Will be making shorter stops in Spain, Italy, and who knows. I have converted to minimalist travel and live out of a backpack and a carry-on bag. Nice sights are interesting but I travel to make new friends, try new foods, listen to live music, and dance. My travel preps are all centered around establishing contacts in my destination points so I can better dive into the local scene and culture when I get there. I always strive to add value to the lives of people I come in contact with. My standard answer to the never-ending question (“which is your favorite place?”): The next one. My dream assignment: find a travel writer who wants a travel companion (me) willing to help with research/writing/editing/photography without asking for a byline or compensation (because I just enjoy it).

hey lucas

gonna be in madrid starting in august for three months if you want to meet up. I need to put my bio on here, but Im based in the US and try to travel for a month or more at a time annually. I was in dubai last november/december and heading to madrid now. I am ex hedge fund trader and now invest in real estate and am location independent. May as well use the technology nowadays to explore new countries I feel

What’s your name?
Brett
where are you from?
USA
Im still based in South Carolina but try to travel for 1-3 months at a time annually.
what do you do?
Ex small hedge fund trader and currently invest in real estate
where are you currently?
Madrid
where are you going?
Staying put for a few months.
Yes i do want to check back in at home throughout the year. Im not a complete nomad
Every place and person is foreign until you’re immersed in it. After a few weeks in a spot, I always feel local

Hi

I am Ankit, 30, and I am from Kolkata, India. For the past few years, I have been in and out of India throughout the year for work and travel. I like peaceful places, and I enjoy beaches the most. I love Thailand for its beaches and forests. I prefer to be surrounded with nature and clean air, over a busy city. I enjoy outdoor sports, and play cricket, squash and volleyball.

I have a [WebDev+ SEO] business which lets me work from anywhere in the world. My clients are located in US, Australia, UK, NZ, UAE, Singapore. I travel to attend conferences and seminars to learn and network.

Next, I am going to be in Chiang Mai, coming October, to attend a SEO conference.

For me, the last 5 years have been memorable, because I realised that the business I was doing was location independent, and did not restrict me from travelling or taking daytime naps.

I do 3-4 trips a year usually. Last week, I was in Manilla, Philippines, and I stayed there for a week. I have recently joined NL, and want to meet other nomads and share experiences!

1. What’s your name?
    Russell

2. Where are you from?
    Originally from Texas.

3. How long have you been away from home?
    I moved away from Texas about 10 years ago.

4. What do you do?
    I’m a hobbyist photographer and hiker. For employment, I’m a software engineer for a non-profit.

5. Where are you currently?
    The Bay Area in California.

6. Where are you going?
    The plan is to visit a bunch of national parks over the next year doing photography workshops and such.

7. What has been memorable for you so far?
    Probably the few summer weeks I spent in Sweden/Norway. Hiking during the midnight sun and the people I met on long train or bus rides.

8. Will you go home anytime soon?
    I head back home for a week or two every year to visit my father during his birthday.