Hi. Newbie here.
Wondering if anyone here has expertise in being an “investor” nomad where you travel and live off investment income? I’m contemplating fleeing the rat race and wanted to throw out a few thoughts and ideas.
Have a UK passport so don’t get taxed on worldwide income whilst non-resident.
I’m thinking of residency in Malaysia (MM2H) or Philippines (Retirement visa).
In terms of generating tax efficient income:
- HK, Singapore and UK don’t withhold tax on equity dividends or preference shares
- USA doesn’t tax capital gains (but has nasty estate taxes on equities) for non-residents
- USA debt securities (CDs/corp debt) do not withhold tax (w8-ben)
- USA based p2p lending should be same as debt securities asset class hence no withholding
- Eurobonds do not withhold tax on interest payments (look to have a spread of local currency bonds).
Would look to supplement by buying property (have my eyes on a few places in Philippines) to rent out. Would also look to invest in local businesses wherever I find opportunities.
Appreciate any advise or insight people might have!