Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (635K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,993) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations ๐Ÿก  Interior AI ๐Ÿ“ธ  Photo AI โœจ  Applicant AI ๐Ÿ’Ž  Clarity AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is it absurd to travel with an extra monitor in my carry on?

by @joshuaballard 7yr  | 15 comments

Hi all, Iโ€™m about to make my maiden voyage into the digital nomad lifestyle. 2 cities coming up (chiang mai and Cebu)

I work online and can not stand working without at least 2 monitors (preferably more haha)

Is it insane to pack a monitor whilst I travel?

thanks in advance

edit: sorry about the duplicate, I found this thread How do you work without multiple monitors? I can only carry a MBP 15" and ended up ordering an ASUS MB168B+ after reading through.

This forum is certainly helpful!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Iโ€™m a little late to this topic, but I have two other solutions:

1. A second laptop
    Whaaa? Craziness right! Well, it turns out that Apple rather sucks and wonโ€™t make a good upgrade for me, so I bought a cheap โ€œgaming laptopโ€ with essentially the specs of a server and have offloaded a lot of my development work to a Virtualbox Linux instance running on the laptop. Then I run Airserver and use Airplay to extend my desktop.

2. Rent places that have large high def TVs (this is increasingly common)
    Just pack an HDMI cable and setup the TV close to where youโ€™re working and bam! a second screen. 1080p works pretty well. I usually put my debug console and my iOS and Android simulators on it. Then I leave the code on my retina Apple display.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@julio 7yr

I was going to use something like SlidenJoy for my laptop
I too have gotten used to 3 screens :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I think itโ€™s a question of money and reactivity, which are up to you. You are working so there is no โ€œgoodโ€ or โ€œbad nomadshipโ€.
As for having your own monitor, the point is you can have it anytime anywhere, the minute you arrive somewhere.
The alternative is to get equipped locally, either by

• buying new (if youโ€™re charging good fees it may not be a blocker for you)
  • buying secondhand
  • figure out how to resell when you leave, - look for a rental locally

if thatโ€™s what you choose you will be better at finding local providers over time sonce you will do it again and again.

Again since you are working -I.e. making money- you have different parameters that the idle backpacker.
Will you earn more money or earn it more easily with your own monitor?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hi @guillaume_duquesnay those are some very valid points you make, and I certainly will be better at providing an income for myself with multiple screens. I went with a portable screen that others in this forum mentioned

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@levelsio 7yr

Iโ€™m doing this because Iโ€™m doing VR/3D games dev now and I need to carry an entire PC and screen. Itโ€™s 10kg and seriously too much. Iโ€™ll switch to an MSI laptop soon.

With regards to an extra display, use Duet or indeed get that cheap extra small screen. I used to have 3 displays to work on, now itโ€™s just my MacBook and Iโ€™m more productive. So yes, itโ€™d be good to also try without an external screen.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Thanks for your reply @levelsio

I took some other advice a few months back and trialled doing my work with a single screen for a few days here and there.

I felt more productive for portions of it, but it probably had more to do with my APM and constant toggeling haha, the actual output was lower I found. Each tot heir own though.

10kg is certainly a great deal to lug around, but thats the pains of working with higher tech really isnt it

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@dkwan 7yr

For those who use Mac and iPad, you might also consider the Duet Display app to use the iPad as a second display.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@greentea 7yr

Duet display is great.

Depending on our location setup, we typically carry an iMac 27" or 20", either shipped in the box from a friendโ€™s house or sitting in Earthclassmail, or carried overland in a purpose built iMac case bag from the fabulous UK provider Flight Cases .com.

I have another 22" wide monitor stuffed amongst clothes in one of our suitcases.

When I dont need to use them, I ship them back to Earthclassmail (expensive, so I use it short term), or to my other storage warehouse at Ship2Storage in Murrieta CA (approx $8 per 25 cubic feet of storage per month or a large suitcase). Then summon whatever gear I need. I have my own DHL, Fedex and UPS accounts associated with my online retail accounts, so if I need to ship them further, and if my freight is cheaper than ECM or S2S, Iโ€™ll generate my own waybills and have them send it that way.

I tend to keep my carryons limited to the one personal effect and anything you can store in the plane, and shipping mostly everything else. I loathe boarding/deplaning, and when traveling with multiple companions it gets wormy quick.

We also travel with 3-4 iPad Pros and 1-2 PCs/Macs/Surfaces, which all stuff down quite nicely into a carryon. Duet can daisy chain them all, and Iโ€™m usually seen in airport or hotel lobbies with my noise cancelling headset and 3 screens in front of me.

Soโ€ฆ youโ€™re not weird. Youโ€™re just productive. :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@maxroyale 7yr

Duet is amazing! Turns my ipad into a second screen with touch.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I use MBP with iPad 12.9 and Duet and love it

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@nilswe 7yr

@joshua1 I think if you can not rent it for a reasonable price (e.g. if you work from a coworking space) then do what feels good for/what you need.
Donโ€™t get trapped into this โ€œyou have to travel with your carry-on only to be a real DNโ€ bullshit.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Thanks nilsw, I ended up buying a specific portable monitor so I will always have it with me. In the past iโ€™ve travelled carry on only, and Iโ€™ve travelled with a giant backpack, both times had their advantages I guess.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@sshepps 7yr

I travel with my ASUS portable monitor all the time. It fits in with my laptop in my backpack. Very little added weight. I, like you like 3 monitors (34" dell and 20"dell + laptop screen) but that mean i am working in my local office, not out experiencing the world.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

is it the Asus MB168B+ at all? Ive got one being delivered to me now, im hoping it is going to be pretty good :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@janthony 7yr

You probably have it by now, but Iโ€™ve been quite pleased with the 168B+ for its light weight, carry case, and fit next to laptop in my bag. Itโ€™s been great for coding, works well with the macbook air. The colors are a little washed out; so I use my main screen for visually specific work. I plan to add a third screen using an iPad + duet since I still end up toggling views more often than Iโ€™d like.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the best places right now in the Caribbean/LatAM? (Also cheapest flights/accommodation?)

by @orangutan3 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

What are the best places right now in the Caribbean/LatAM? (Also cheapest flights/accommodation?) Asking from the US.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are restaurants, cafes and malls working in Mexico City taking into account COVID situation?

in Mexico by @thateverdmitriy 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

I am planning to travel to Mexico City next weekend and stay for 7-10 days there. I wonder if cafes, stores and other places like these work? And if cafes work, do they work as usual or only for take away&delivery? Will be very thankful if someone can help here.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do I set current location? I've looked everywhere for this option.

by @yousifyalda 4yr 4 years ago  | 5 comments

All I see is section to add trips, but I reside here. Home and all.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where do you work from in Lisbon? ๐Ÿงณโ˜•

in Lisbon , Portugal by @dominiksobe 4yr 4 years ago  | 1 comment

Hi everyone,

I am going to move to Lisbon in July and I was wondering where you guys work from? Do you have any recommendations for working on a budget? Any good cafรจs or cheap coworking spaces?

I did some research and found some coworking spaces for > ~ 100โ‚ฌ p. month which is pretty reasonable but too much for me right now.

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Which countries are reopening borders soon?

by @levelsio 4yr 4 years ago  | 10 comments

Finally found a site with proper info that's updated daily about which places will reopen made by Skift: reopening.travel/reopening/

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there nomad families here and how do you choose your next destination?

by @martinratinaud 4yr 4 years ago  | 4 comments

All members of my family has different needs and hobbies so how do you pick the perfect places?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What to do for NYE in London?

in London , United Kingdom by @luchesigui 4yr 4 years ago  | 0 comments

My girlfriend and I decided to spend NYE in London and we were trying to buy tickets for the fireworks show since mid-September and weโ€™ve couldnโ€™t get it. So, do you guys know any other option? I heard about some boat parties, are they worth?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Can I bring my computer monitor on an airplane and through customs?

by @rfs45 5yr 5 years ago  | 5 comments

Hello dearest nomads,
My girlfriend and I are heading to Argentina for three months, we both work remotely and want to bring our monitors with us.
Does anyone have experience regarding if this will trigger concerns with customs, either for taxes (less important) or lack of work permit (more important).
We both work for my own company which is based in US.
Thanks in advance!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Do you have a system for how you plan your next location?

by @mitch_dina 5yr 5 years ago  | 3 comments

It seems to be taking me days to plan my next trip. Its so complicated and seems to be a domino affect. Example: Iโ€™m in Dubrovnik and want to go to Bari, Italy next because it is close, and I can get there by ferry, (so not using so much carbon,) but the ferry only starts running in April and 90-day visa is up on March 15, so I need to move on. Cheapest flight out is to Rome, but Rome can be pricey and Iโ€™m more of a small town person, so I go looking for beautiful small towns in Italy, a BIG research project. Then how to get there?.. oy! I need a system, please!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you find the public transport information of your next destination?

by @nunoarruda 5yr 5 years ago  | 11 comments

Probably most of you do as I do, Google it first and then research further, if needed, on official transportation websites, travel guides, blogs, etc.

I travel each month to a new city and I find this task tedious, sometimes thereโ€™s not enough information in English or there might be a handy travel planning app or uber-like app that Iโ€™m not aware of.

I wish there were a โ€œnomad listโ€ website or app for transport information where you would choose a city and be given all the transportation options (Bus? Tram? Subway? etc), how/where to buy tickets/passes and any additional useful information (trip planner, apps, maps, etc).

Do any of you relate to this?

PS: Iโ€™m a developer and I might actually try and create something to โ€œfixโ€ this if a lot of people are experiencing this same โ€œannoyanceโ€.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Recommendations for a portable speaker system suitable for a DJ monitor while travelling? Preferring size over loudness

by @jackbarham 5yr 5 years ago  | 0 comments

Iโ€™ve got myself a DDJ 400 DJ controller, and the compact size makes it ideal to throw into my suitcase while I go travelling next year.

It made me wonder if there was a decent portable speaker system thatโ€™s loud (and clear) enough for light bedroom DJing I could pack alongside the 400 to practice new tracks and record mixes.

I currently have a Bose Soundlink Mini II which was surprisingly good for the job. Although I feel itโ€™ll probably damage if I keep pumping at full pelt, and itโ€™s not quite loud enough for what I wanted but not far off at all.

I ordered a pair of iLoud Micro Monitors, and although seriously impressed with the sound quality, I ended up returning them for KRK Rokit 5 G3โ€™s as they were too heavy for permanent (Digital Nomad) travelling so thought Iโ€™d get some solid DJ speakers in the meantime.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Bring external monitor to SE asia and avoid coworking cost?

by @anderkd 7yr 7 years ago  | 13 comments

Would it be advisable or wacky to lug an external monitor from the US in hopes of avoiding coworking costs by working from Airbnb with decent wifi? Iโ€™m not sold on coworking spaces, and like the solitude of coding away in my own little airbnb space. One screen is limiting to productivity, hence the love of an external monitor. Thoughts?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How can I monitor my data usage when I have limited amounts of mobile data?

by @littleshiva 7yr 7 years ago  | 6 comments

I use a mobile internet stick that gives me 1 gigabyte of bandwidth in a 24-hour period. If I use it all up in half that time (easy with print jobs) I have to either wait it out or use another stick. What are some of the things I can do to keep bandwidth from being used without my knowledge? (macbook pro / Yosemite) I looked in the activity monitor and safari seemed to be using a lot so I keep it off now when Iโ€™m not using it, and I paused synching on dropbox and creative cloud until Iโ€™m hooked up to wifi. Any other tricks?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to find a short-term apartment in Lisbon?

in Lisbon , Portugal by @jenny_ 7yr 7 years ago  | 10 comments

Hi everyone,

we plan to work from Lisbon from mid of April to mid of June this year and were wondering if anyone knows how to find a short-term apartment. AirBnB does not really offer much under 1000 Euro, which seems a bit high to us.

We are looking for a 1-bedroom apartment close to the city centre - budget: max 800 Euro. Can someone help?

Thanks! Jenny & Sebastian

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you work without multiple monitors? I can only carry a MBP 15"

by @tschentscher 8yr 8 years ago  | 39 comments

Hi Nomads!

Starting January 2016 Iโ€™m going to be starting a year as a Digital Nomad.
The last 5 years Iโ€™ve never worked with less than 2 monitors in front of me.
Sure, Iโ€™ve done some cafรฉ and hotel-room work. But all my biggest project has all been done in front of a stationary setup.

I do webdesign and development and have created a working habbit with several monitors on a large desk. Funny enough this is my biggest concern getting closer to January.

How do i teach myself to work from a 15" screen?
Do you find working from a 15" screen enough or do you have some kind of magical folding screen in your backpack?

If you have any ideas for me keeping a dual-monitor setup (The laptop being the first monitor) Iโ€™m all ears!

Regards! And thank you for this delightful Forum!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to find flights if I don't know my destination?

by @yago1 8yr 8 years ago  | 12 comments

Hi fellow DNโ€™s
Iโ€™m searching for a DN โ€œlast minuteโ€ type website / service out there?
Maybe something similar to travelzoo.com and skyscanner.com or tripalertz.com but with more focus for DNโ€™s ? What I mean is I donโ€™t really care about the location - if I go to Mexico, Canada or Shanghai. If there is a good deal I might be seriously interested.
Maybe there is nothing like this yet in that case it would be something interesting to create.
Best Y

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Starting a SaaS website with paid service -- Best practices for setting up payment collection? (from US)

by @dedalux 8yr 8 years ago  | 4 comments

Over the past few months I started doing javascript development work and Iโ€™m trying to build projects for my portfolio. Iโ€™m working on a productivity tool that would have a paid tier for users and Iโ€™m not sure about the best practices for setting up this up for myself in terms of tax efficiency and ways to incorporate.

Right now itโ€™s only me who works on this and I project a modest user base in the beginning with perhaps a few hundred dollars of revenues that I would like to expand ideally. Iโ€™m looking at services like Stripe which has an option for individuals without the need for incorporation.

Meanwhile Iโ€™d like to reach to a point where I can hire some people to develop with me and run operations if thereโ€™s more steady cash flow coming in. Fundraising is also of course an option on the table. I donโ€™t foresee a lot of potential for legal liabilities with this project but Iโ€™d like to be personally protected. Iโ€™d Hence I think incorporation is inevitable down the road.

Iโ€™m not sure if I should incorporate as early as possible, since there is some costs associated with this. But if I were to do this, with US status, I am wondering what should I be looking for to ensure that I can run this well in the long run. If any nomads have had experience with the business side of a personal start-up project Iโ€™d love to hear your opinion and experiences.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Bad Wifi Solution? What do we think about OpenCellular?

by @bananaeatsmonkey 8yr 8 years ago  | 1 comment

I feel bad connection has always been a DN restriction. I just came across this OpenCellular article, and it seems like a solution to rural area internet access

Any thoughts? Or any similar product recommendation?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What is the hourly rate you'd expect for content creation?

by @florentin 8yr 8 years ago  | 5 comments

Hey guys. Starting to offer content creation services online.
What is the hourly rate I should expect?
Iโ€™ve seen developers talk about 5-6$ per hour. Should I expect less?
Any differences between US and Europe?
Any tip would really helpโ€ฆ

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Need to incorporate and pay myself dividend income. Where is good option?

by @kittytana 8yr 8 years ago  | 6 comments

Hello, Iโ€™ve been earning online for the past 2 years and had no need to incorporate. But now Iโ€™m applying for a citizenship and one of the requirements is that I own a business that pays myself a dividend income. I make money in USD and get paid through a personal US bank account. Iโ€™m NOT a US citizen or resident. Been living as a tourist in many places for 2 years. Iโ€™m looking at Belize and Panama but not sure what it might entail? In terms of money logistics, Iโ€™m not understanding how that would work? Anyone has experience in this?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
487ms