Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (625K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,921) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations ๐Ÿก  Interior AI ๐Ÿ“ธ  Photo AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Looking for somewhere with snow

by @jb510 8yr  | 9 comments

We spend a ton of time in the tropics and are craving a little bit of winter. There was a thread about ski towns: What are good ski towns for digital nomads? but Iโ€™m actually wondering about non-ski towns.

• On the cheaper side
  • Reasonable internet and/or coworking
  • Has good public transit
  • Has snow without being mind numbingly cold

Anywhere on the planet is of interest from Bulgaria to New Zealand, from Harbin to Matroosbergโ€ฆ i donโ€™t really care where on the planet it is, just that itโ€™s not to hard to get to/from.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

If you have the budget, Switzerland! I lived there for two winters and while the central Alps get lots of snow, the area also gets lots and lots of sunshine, which means while it is definitely cold, itโ€™s rarely mind-numbingly so. And, in fact, there were days when we hiked in the snow and I had to remove my winter coat because the sun was too hot.

I havenโ€™t been in winter, but I think Sloveniaโ€™s climate is similar. And you can find snow in Northern Italy, as well, which might be generally warmer than the very far north climes.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@jb510 8yr

Switzerland does sound lovely, as does the italian alps. While I have some budget, I do find Europe gets pretty expensive pretty fast.

Iโ€™ve had Croatia (Split) and Slovenia (Ljubljana) on my radar for a while.

FWIW, one of the things I like to do is go places off season. For example there is a lake in upstate New York (Lake George) that is very popular in the summer months (AirBNB/VRBOs are full for 4 months), but then no one goes in the winterโ€ฆ so itโ€™s super cheap. Most close up. I have friend with a cabin there I think weโ€™ll rent for a couple months, maybe get my snow prescription filled that way. I can do that because I have a 4wd car in the US (Iโ€™d just need to drive it there from California).

Anyway, Iโ€™m just trying to collect ideas of please that that are a little less known, ideally non-US and/or less expensive. Not Cambodia inexpensive, but then not Zurich.

There must be somewhere on New Zealandโ€™s south islandโ€ฆ or Scandinaviaโ€ฆ

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Scandinavia is going to more expensive than anywhere else in Europe, fyi. :slight_smile: If youโ€™re looking for not-Zurich-expensive, I wouldnโ€™t head that way. Eastern Europe is a better bet.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

(Even my Swiss friends complain about the Scandinavian prices)

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

@jb510 Iโ€™m leaving my mountain town for the tropics this coming winter. Weโ€™re listing the place for a multi-month lease, beginning in October if youโ€™re interested. Itโ€™s furnished, has the fastest internet money can buy (because ahem, I obviously work remotely), and is a REALLY awesome mountain townโ€ฆthat just happens to have amazing skiing, hiking, fishing, biking, etc.

The town: http://www.visitcrestedbutte.com/

Let me know if youโ€™re interested, and I can share some pics. Itโ€™s currently on AirBnb but weโ€™re certainly not renting it at that price because well, thatโ€™s an AirBnb price, not a rental price :slight_smile:

ALSO: Public transit is awesome (and free), we have a great coffee roaster 5 minutes away, and the people are rad.

Itโ€™s cheaper than Aspen or Telluride or Mammothโ€ฆand probably about equal to what I spent when I spent last winter in Chile.

P.S. There is none of that wet misery that anywhere in the midwest has.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@jb510 8yr

@Dani - Crested Butte would be awesome, I know the town well :smiley: (I went to Colorado State and in California) and my California ski club took a few trips there!

In fact one of the towns that came to mind as an example was Steamboat Springs (similar to CB in a lot of ways). Iโ€™ve heard Tahoe is a good/affordable skit town as well, but I was also looking for somewhere new and outside the US and not necessarily resort/ski focused. I really like quietโ€ฆ cabin in the woods kind of places.

Weโ€™ve got rough plans through next spring unfortunately (Texas>Mexico>France). Like most we never seem to hold to those plans, but weโ€™d planned for 3 months in Mexico last year and got sidetracked, so hoping to hold onto that this time.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@opt 8yr

Beautiful, but the disappointing thing about all those places is that you end up paying big city prices for even a small place to stay (together with very limited inventory)โ€“itโ€™s a vacation/tourism economy. The US as a whole is overpriced.

Somebody should figure out a way to, like, work online, and move around and stuff. And we can come up with a catchy name for it, something like โ€œWork online and move around and stuffโ€ (tentative, until we hear back from Marketing).

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

good luck with that. i think you either need to pick one or the other - snow or not cold.

were i willing to deal with winter, i would probably choose Poland. Berlin would be a good option as well.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@jb510 8yr

I guess it depends on your preferencesโ€ฆ Operative words being โ€œmind numbinglyโ€.

I rather enjoy temperatures periodically dropping a little below freezing as long as it stays reasonably dry (ie. dry snow and not too windy), there are plenty of places like thisโ€ฆ Much of Utah and Colorado come to mindโ€ฆ

Miserable is well below freezing or just above and raining/sleetingโ€ฆ there are plenty of places like this as wellโ€ฆ The Great Lakes come to mindโ€ฆ

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Looking for a warm place, possibly near the sea with excellent wifi

by @mariaplslourdes 4yr 4 years ago  | 12 comments

hello :wave: Iโ€™m planning my next trip (from January/February), and Iโ€™m looking for a place where itโ€™s hot, with the sea, and good wifi.
At the moment I live in Paris and work with San Francisco times, so preferably I wouldnโ€™t go to Asia.
Iโ€™m thinking, South Africa or South America, what do you recommend?
Thank you

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Nomad Family looking for a short term rental in Mumbai

in Mumbai , India by @ricardomolina 6yr 6 years ago  | 2 comments

Hello All,
We are a nomad family starting our journey in Medellin. India / Mumbai to be specific is our next destination.
I am finding it very difficult to find properties in AirBnB within a reasonable budget and makaan and magicbricks is cumbersome.

Anyone has had any experience on best approach to find where to stay?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Ricardo

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Looking for something to prop up my Asus MB169B+

by @jbweimar 7yr 7 years ago  | 2 comments

I recently purchased a second monitor to connect to my MacBook Pro 15". I use the Nextstand laptop stand to get my MacBook to eye level. Iโ€™m wondering what second monitor (without base) users are using to get their second monitor at the same level. I know of this company Elevate Stand (.com), but it seems a bit heavy and bulky (although I guess it must be somewhat, if it is to hold a monitor).

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Moving to Thailand for 6-9 months in August. Bangkok or somewhere else?

in Bangkok , Thailand by @andrea3018 7yr 7 years ago  | 14 comments

Hello Nomads,
I would like to move in Thailand for 6-9 months starting from August.
Iโ€™ll definetely stay in Chiang Mai as base for most of the time but Iโ€™d like to do the first month (August) in Bangkok or somewhere else.
What place would you recommend to visit first?
Would Bangkok be a good place to be during August?
I was also checking at the east coast isles but I got a little frightened out by the moonsoon idea but still, it would be cool to go to beaches and have some sun during that month :slight_smile: .
Would the moonsoons or the rain really be a problem?
Iโ€™ll move to Chiang Mai from september anyway but I would just like to start somewhere else since I have to wait for my girlfriend to come during september.

Thank you in advance for your advices,
Sorry for the bad english,
Andrea

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I'm looking for a European city with a great connection to the outdoors. Help?

by @justinbosco 7yr 7 years ago  | 23 comments

Iโ€™m in the middle of doing some research for our next destination within Europe and Iโ€™m hoping to get some suggestions from some outdoor enthusiasts whoโ€™ve spent time on the continent.

My favorite cities are Innsbruck, Austria and Bergen, Norway because you can be downtown having a beer one minute and thenโ€ฆ boomโ€ฆ up the mountain in the middle of nowhere 15 minutes later. Iโ€™m looking for a similar place to spend a month or two this winter. Places like these are hard to find because โ€œmid-size european cities with great hiking nearbyโ€ doesnโ€™t return too many relevant results on Google. Great adventure towns are usually in the middle of nowhere, the kind of places youโ€™ll need to rent a car to get to the grocery store, and places with good public transportation are usually concrete jungles. But places like Innsbruck and Bergen manage to combine the best of both worlds.

Has anyone come across similar places theyโ€™d recommend?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Suggestions for somewhere to spend Jully in northern Spain?

in Spain by @jb510 7yr 7 years ago  | 6 comments

Iโ€™m looking for somewhere to spend July in northern Spain. (Not that it matters but June weโ€™re in Paris, August in Porto).

Iโ€™ve spent time in small Italian villages and loved the experience. Iโ€™m hoping to find something like that but in coastal Spain, I just donโ€™t know the area at all yet. Suggestions?

Somewhere roughly in or between Galicia and Bilbao. Somewhere walkable to a half dozen small resturants/cafes/etcโ€ฆ

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Has anybody encountered a travel gear mfr that intentionally makes crappy-looking gear?

by @octavient 7yr 7 years ago  | 8 comments

Has anybody ever encountered a travel gear manufacturer that makes gear that is solid and durable, but that is intentionally designed to look old and crappy? For international travel, I want good, durable gear, but Iโ€™m uncomfortable walking around with slick, brand-new-looking, expensive-looking gear (especially with my family in tow). Iโ€™m happy to snatch up any good used gear (reduce, reuse, recycle) that weโ€™re lucky enough to encounter, but selection is limited, and durability is often compromised. Seems like thereโ€™d be a decent market for some durable but ragged-looking travel gear. What i have in mind is luggage, backpacks, laptop cases, smartphone cases, camera bags, infant/toddler carriers, etc. Iโ€™m sensitive to the preppy fad of clueless, well-off westerners dressing up like the poor in naive but trendy mockery, but thatโ€™s not what Iโ€™m after, here. I just want good gear that doesnโ€™t put a target on my back as we traipse around various parts of the world. Anybody have any thoughts on thisโ€ฆ?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Looking a for a flat to rent in Barcelona from January for 6 months. Anyone?

in Barcelona , Spain by @aleravanetti 7yr 7 years ago  | 2 comments

Hi guys, as I wrote in the title I am planning to move to Barcelona with my girlfriend starting from January 2017 and I am looking to rent a flat for 6 months, possibly in the Born area, but open also to other neighborhoods. My budget is around โ‚ฌ800 per month. Is anyone looking to rent out something that could fit my request? Any help would be appreciated!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Looking for a place to hibernate and surf in Jan/Feb/March - any tips?

by @tvr3000 7yr 7 years ago  | 14 comments

Hi all,

For Jan through March Iโ€™m looking for a place that as a) friendly people, b) warm climate, c) surfing, and d) reliable internet (either in cafes or a coworking space).

So far, this is my short list:

• Canggu, Bali (already was there last year, but too busy with work then)
  • Phillippines (I donโ€™t know where yet, but Iโ€™ve read Baler might be nice)
  • Mexico (but havenโ€™t yet researched)
  • Nicaragua (but havenโ€™t yet researched)

If anyone has some good info on this, please share! : )

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any nomads in Europe want to do a Nomad Christmas gathering somewhere?

by @wanderingdev 7yr 7 years ago  | 16 comments

Hi Nomads!

Like many, Iโ€™m not heading back to be with my family for the holidays but I was thinking it would be fun to maybe do a nomad family gathering. We could rent a cool house/apartment somewhere fun and do our own thing. I personally am available from 23-27 December, but people could arrive/leave sooner/later. I love to cook so Iโ€™d be up for doing a big christmas dinner.

If anyone is interested, or has suggestions on a good place to go, chime in! :smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Canadian resident looking for advice on reducing taxes

by @yesmad 8yr 8 years ago  | 4 comments

My girlfriend and I are Canadian residents that make a full-time income online, though affiliate commissions and ad revenue. As of right now, we have bank accounts in the US and most income is earned in USD.

The thing is that our income taxes are quickly rising to the point that itโ€™s absurd and would be well worth the time and money spent to reduce them somehow.

Can anyone comment on our options here?

Weโ€™ve considered moving around and not staying in any one country long enough to owe taxes anywhere, but that seems very difficult as a Canadian resident:

Reading up on the stipulations for being a โ€œresident for tax purposesโ€ in Canada, they basically want you to sell all of your belongings and cut ties with your family in order to not be a taxed resident. Is this true?

Another option weโ€™re interested in is incorporating in an offshore country that has low or zero corporation taxes. Does anyone have any suggestions here?

Iโ€™ve been looking into setting up a Canadian corporation, but the corporation tax is still upwards of 15%, plus youโ€™re taxed on what you take out of the corporation.

If anyone here has knowledge about any of this Iโ€™d love to hear your advice.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Looking for an LTE carrier/plan that covers most of Europe and is good for tethering?

by @thom801 8yr 8 years ago  | 13 comments

Iโ€™m going to be traveling through and working in many countries in Europe this year and Iโ€™m hoping to either use my T-Mobile iPhone 6 (should work based on my research) or I can buy a hotspot to tether internet. This way I can work anywhere and not have to be asking for wifi passwords etc all the time. Does anyone know a good carrier/plan/hotspot? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also: Iโ€™m always looking for great designers and developers to work with. Contact me if youโ€™re interested. I have plenty of work for you :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Anyone looking to travel with a group of entrepreneurs through some different islands in Thailand?

in Thailand by @marcob 8yr 8 years ago  | 0 comments

Hi Guys, we are looking for our final candidates for a co-work/adventure trip through several Islands in Thailand - mid/late February. Come join us?!?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Looking for 2-3month accommodation in Perth

in Perth , Australia by @tiro 8yr 8 years ago  | 1 comment

Looking for recommendations on accommodation for a 2-3month stay in Perth Australia any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Looking for mid-term accomodation in Canggu (ยฑ3 months)

in Canggu , Indonesia by @tvr3000 8yr 8 years ago  | 11 comments

Hi,

any tips, suggestions? Itโ€™s for Jan-2015 through March-2015.

Iโ€™m ideally looking for a nomad house-style type of setup, in which 4 or more digital nomads all live together in a nice, modern villa. But Iโ€™m not sure if there are too many of those around in Canggu.

Otherwise a private room+bathroom or private apt. for around $600-800 will be fine (depending on the speed of the Internet).

Any help or tips are more than welcome : )

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How can I own a car if I'm not a resident somewhere?

by @nevergoingback 8yr 8 years ago  | 15 comments

Hi peeps,

Here is me with a serious question again!

I travel the world alot but always go back to my home country for a couple of months each year. In this period I want to own a car. But because I do not live anywhere it is very difficult to own a car. I cant put the car I want on my parents name because of their salary and the Netherlands being very strict on that.

What options do I have to owning a car?
I know things should be possible just like afrojack who had a car with german license plates!!

Any advice on this?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

The Nomad Pad: Austin Pad is looking for awesome nomads starting April!

in Austin , United States by @nomadicpad 9yr 9 years ago  | 4 comments

Hey Nomads!

So Nomad House: Project Austin is coming together. We found a better house with a better location and living arrangement, and we are just looking for one more digital nomad to join our little experiment from Feb. 1st- Mar. 1st.

Living options:
$900: Private Room

$700: Shared room

The house is at S. Park Dr. and Powell Court in Austin Texas.

To give you an idea of the awesome people youโ€™d be living with, the residence so far are:

@tikhon - Hailing from San Fran (for now!), seasoned developer, specializing in dev/ops, sysadmin and the non-tech side of the startup world such as Fundraising/recruiting/sales. You may be be familiar with the 2 successful start-ups that he co-founded - Scribd + Parse. Avid rock climber, photographer and looking to make another awesome project this time free from VCโ€™s overlord control! Rockin!

@maxholzheu - Hailing from Guatemala, alum of Build Campus in SF. Committed to paving a courageous path to freedom using technology. His life philosophies are *stop planning, start moving *never stop learning. Currently kicking ass as a web developer for Junto Studio, with remote work privileges.

Grayson - Has yet to fork over the $15 to join the #nomad group. But luckily heโ€™s a good friend of mine. We met working at a company is Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia called Mindvalley (you may have heard of it). When heโ€™s not helping artist promote themselves with his startup Mumora, heโ€™s either eating street cooked grub in a hole in the wall in South East Asia, blogging about marketing or just being a tall shaggy good dude!

Me - Iโ€™m Brandon, you can check out some of the crazy stuff Iโ€™ve done in the past: like the time I biked from German to India, or the time I became a Thai commerical star! Life is random, I know! Currently working for a startup called Bucketfeet, that makes cool sneakers using designs submitted by artists from all over the world! I convinced them to let me move to Austin and work remote, so let the adventures begin. I also like salsa dancing, personal development books, maps and anything with 2 wheels!

You - Canโ€™t wait to see who are 5th nomad will be!

If you want to be apart of something great, sign up below and letโ€™s build a world free of year leases, boring roommates and coffeeshop refugees.

=======================================

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Looking for a place to stay in Seattle for 4 months

in Seattle , United States by @arturogh 9yr 9 years ago  | 1 comment

Im landing in Seattle to find a place to stay for 4 months in june :). Iโ€™m a photographer and designer studying a UX 10 week course in General Assembly.

Anyone have a place they can offer? Any tips to help with the search?
Thanks! :smiley:

You can check out my photos here if your interested http://arturo.photos

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is anyone looking for a short term rental in the Seattle area?

in Seattle , United States by @danielgenser 9yr 9 years ago  | 8 comments

The house my wife and I are leaving on Vashon Island (a 20 minute ferry ride from Seattle) is available for a 3 month lease starting at the end of February. Itโ€™s a pretty great place just up the hill from a beautiful Puget Sound beach and lighthouse. Hereโ€™s the ad: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/apa/4850406461.html

Here are better photos with our actual furniture in it: https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/teamgenser/sets/72157650335823075/

We are happy to arrange to leave some furniture for a short term renter, too.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Anyone looking to buddy up on a transatlantic cruise from Europe to the US (Westbound) in May or June?

by @archagon 9yr 9 years ago  | 3 comments

Hey guys! Iโ€™m not sure if these kinds of posts are allowed here, but I couldnโ€™t find anything in the guidelines against them, so here goes:

Iโ€™m a 26-year-old (male) Californian and software developer whoโ€™s been traveling all over Europe for the past year. I also happen to really hate flying. On the way here, I took a boat; it was the off-season for cruises, so I managed to snag a really cheap ticket for a single cabin. Now itโ€™s getting time to go home, and I want to take a boat back. Unfortunately, the prices are quite a bit higher this time of year, meaning I canโ€™t just swallow up the single supplement as before, so I was wondering if anybody else had plans to head in that direction in May or June. Looking at the current Cunard prices, it would come to $800/person (plus taxes and gratuities) in a double inside cabin. Sure, it ainโ€™t cheaper than flying, but you get to relax for a few days, contemplate the journey, and get fat from all the free food. Bonus points if youโ€™re self-employed, since itโ€™s basically an excuse to work on your projects away from all distraction for a whole week!

Anyone interested?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
538ms