Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (625K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,920) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations ๐Ÿก  Interior AI ๐Ÿ“ธ  Photo AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Mexico City, Medellin or Buenos Aires?

in Buenos Aires , Argentina by @rayhanv 8yr  | 7 comments

So Iโ€™m taking the plunge and will be going nomad in less than 3 months from now!

My situation is that I just started a semi-remote contract with a startup that has a good chance to go fully remote in 3 months time if all goes well.
I will be heading over to Chang Mai at some point, but have decided to do a month or two in South America first, just so that the time difference isnโ€™t so crazy while dealing with the team back home (skype/ hangout meetings in the morning etc)

The current cities on my radar are Mexico City, Medellin and Buenos Ares.
Basically, I am looking for a place that is has a relatively low cost of living, is safe for expats, has good internet and doesnโ€™t have too much of a language barrier.

If anyone has lived in any of those cities ( or other nomad friendly spots in SA/CA), would love to get your thoughts on which place would be ideal for a 1-2 month stay based on my situation.
Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I know Im digging up a 2 year old question. But I wanted to know what @RayhanV thought of DF and/or PDC after reading the reviews of other posters. Also did you check out other towns and if so what were some highlights?

Thanks, Ryne

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@rayhanv 8yr

Yup, looking to concentrate on working solidly for a month or 2, while enjoying the city at the same time.

I have narrowed it down to Mexico City and Playa del Carmen. Or maybe both.

@hjbarraza any advice on the best places to stay in Mexico City and what the best way of finding cheap short term rental apts would be ?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@hjbarraza 8yr

I lived in Mexico City 4 or 5 times.

Good community around โ€œla romaโ€ and โ€œcondesaโ€, lotโ€™s of cafeโ€™s that are used to โ€œInternet squattersโ€. Affordable and secure as long as you have a bit of common sense. Tons of expats and travellers.

While Iโ€™ve never been to Medellin, this is my third week in Bogotรก, from my point of view, itโ€™s cheaper than Mรฉxico City, and people are quite nice. Internet is far worse, and streets are generally more insecure. Sunset is about 6:30 where the entire city is usually insecure. Except for Uptown North part of town, which has prices similar to those of Mexico City.

IMHO, if you want to concentrate on work for a few weeks, Mexico City is a great alternative. Let me know and Iโ€™ll hook you up.

If you want to enjoy latin culture, and take it slower, Bogota or Medellin would be a better option.

Iโ€™ve never been to BA.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@hjbarraza 8yr

Locationsโ€ฆ

La Roma, Polanco, and Condesa. (i usually stay in the first two).
Other cheaper but less connected options are: โ€œLa Juarezโ€ and โ€œColonia del Valleโ€.

As for housing, the classics work well: Airbnb (short-term) and Dadaroom (long-tem). This FB group can serve as last resort.

When arriving to a new country/city I usually rent 1 week on Airbnb, while I look for something more affordable on either dada room or with locals.

PM your dates and I can ask around my local friends.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@rayhanv 8yr

When I figure out my dates, I will for sure. Thanks man!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

mexico gets my vote. so much to see and do. easy transition, safe, and cheap.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Iโ€™m Argentinian and have lived in Buenos Aires for a year.

Price-wise, Buenos Aires is quite expensive for Argentinian standards, specially rental prices. You wonโ€™t have a problem finding a place quickly, though. There is lots of so called โ€œalquileres temporariosโ€ that are basically fully setup flats you can move into without much fuzz.

Here is a Website with short term rentals, as above:
http://www.bairesapartments.com/

In terms of food and other essentials, prices fluctuate greatly based on which part of the city you live in (by as much as a factor of 4!), but you can expect to eat at a decent restaurant for 150-200 ARS and most fruits and vegetables can be bought inexpensively at your local groceries shop. Most other things youโ€™ll want to get on one of the supermarket chains at reasonable (less than the US, more than most of South America) prices.

Anything imported (and I do mean, anything) is generally a lot more expensive than if bought overseas due to very tight import restrictions and high import duties (50%!). So bring all your tech and fancy make-up with you :smile: .

Argentina presently has tight currency exchange controls and the government artificially sets the price of the ARS to suit its needs. There is a parallel black market for the US dollar that prices it quite differently. At the moment, if you were to bring and exchange 1000 USD in cash in the black market, youโ€™d get 14520 ARS versus 9590 ARS if you used an ATM or a brick and mortar forex shop. This essentially makes your trip a good 50% cheaper if you bring cash with you.

As for safety, I wouldnโ€™t say Buenos Aires is the safest of places, but so long as you exercise common sense and donโ€™t walk around laptop in hand at 2 amโ€ฆ

The Internet in public places isnโ€™t the fastest and 3G operators have abysmal service (country-wide). Your best bet is finding a good coffee shop (certain Starbucks locations during off-peak hours, for instance) or one of the co-working spaces in town. I havenโ€™t personally used the latter so I canโ€™t comment on those, but Iโ€™ve heard good things.

Transportation is ridiculously cheap. I was there a few months ago with my girlfriend and I think we spent around 6-8 USD each over the course of a week. No taxis.

In terms of entertainment, the city is pretty damn big and culturally diverse and there is always something going on for everyone: football matches, theater (featuring world-class acoustics on one of them), endless bookstores (one of them is a converted theater!), all kinds of random events (randomly bumped into a German/Austrian bratwurst festival last time I was there), second-hand arts and crafts markets on the weekend, etc.

Hope that helps.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are restaurants, cafes and malls working in Mexico City taking into account COVID situation?

in Mexico by @thateverdmitriy 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

I am planning to travel to Mexico City next weekend and stay for 7-10 days there. I wonder if cafes, stores and other places like these work? And if cafes work, do they work as usual or only for take away&delivery? Will be very thankful if someone can help here.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Anyone want to share an airbnb villa in Mexico?

in Mexico by @wouternomad 4yr 4 years ago  | 3 comments

I will be traveling/working through Mexico with my dog February to April. My plan is to stay in Sayulita for about 2-4 weeks, then travel south along the cost.

Is there anyone who wants to share an airbnb apartment? I was thinking of renting a private villa, but because these are large and have multiple rooms, I was wondering if there are fellow nomads wanting to share? Iโ€™m open to other locations as well (Puerto Vallerta, Oaxaca, and everything in between these two locations.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Anybody bring their car to Mexico instead of flying?

in Mexico by @digitaldiva 4yr 4 years ago  | 2 comments

Iโ€™m curious whether anyone drove to Mexico instead of flying and used their car down there. Iโ€™ve heard bad stories of people driving down there but not sure I believe them. How safe is it to drive through rural areas, and to park in cities? It would be cool to have the car to explore while there.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What neighborhoods to stay in Mexico City?

in Mexico City , Mexico by @azurio 4yr 4 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi guys!

Know Mexico City?

We are here for 4 more nights. We want to get a good feel for how it would be to live here as nomads.

What neighborhoods should we check out? What cafรฉs should we peep? What peeps should we meet?

Haha, thanks so much!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where are the nomads in Mexico City?

in Mexico City , Mexico by @shellyfish 4yr 4 years ago  | 9 comments

I just landed as a n00b digital nomad in Mexico City, and I am wonderingโ€ฆ Where are all the international digital nomads hiding around here? I have been to several coworking spaces (Selina etc.) only to find A LOT of local Mexican workers and businesses. Donโ€™t get me wrong, that is all fine, but I was hoping to meet some international nomads! Any advice?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Cheap Cities in Mexico & South America with Fastest Wifi

in Mexico by @jnomad30 5yr 5 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi Guys,
Iโ€™m planning out my next stops after leaving Medellin, Colombia soon where I can hunker down and get some work done with fast wifi and cheap living. Will be in Mexico first so starting a look there but wondering if coming back down to South America might make more sense?
My main concerns are budget and fast enough wifi for me to work from home. Other considerations are some nomad community (ideally also some English speaking expats as my Spanish is basic) and warm enough weather.
Thanks in advance!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the best coworking spaces in Playa del Carmen, Mexico?

in Playa del Carmen , Mexico by @simone_scarduzio 5yr 5 years ago  | 1 comment

Would you recommend โ€œWork Zoneโ€ http://www.oficinasplaya.com over Nest?
Do you have other coworking spaces there you would recommend?

And where is a good place to stay (i.e. coliving)?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Suggestions for home base for 10 months in Mexico or Panama next year?

in Mexico by @we_are_escaping 5yr 5 years ago  | 14 comments

Weโ€™re researching places to use as a home base next year, and are leaning towards Mexico or Panama for 10 months (with 1 week โ€œvacationsโ€ to explore surrounding countries)

But, I want to settle some place where the infrastructure is good enough for fast, reliable internet - fast enough to run live webinars without worrying that Iโ€™ll be S.O.L due to internet issues when itโ€™s time to go live.

And ideally, Iโ€™d like to be on the coastโ€ฆ I like to have ocean/beach access without the need for a drive.

And not in a malaria zone (just saying, since Panama in particular has many areas that Iโ€™d rule out simply due to the need for malaria prevention meds)โ€ฆ itโ€™s one thing to take that stuff for a few weeks long trip, but I donโ€™t want to take it for months on end.

Thoughts?

Thanks for reading all :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any dentist recommendation for Mexico city?

in Mexico by @deemoun 6yr 6 years ago  | 0 comments

Hey everyone, any recommendations for a dentist in a Mexico city? Particularly in Roma/La Condesa neighborhoods.
Also, should I buy any dental insurance or just pay cash?

Any info is appreciated.
Thanks much.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's better? Puerto Vallarta vs. Playa del Carmen in Mexico?

in Puerto Vallarta , Mexico by @oskar 6yr 6 years ago  | 12 comments

Iโ€™m going to travel to Mexico by the end of february and i would like to know which place do you recommend to stay at for a month or so. Which one would fit better for a digital nomad? Pros and Cons for each place are welcomed :smile:

thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best coworking space in Medellin?

in Medellรญn , Colombia by @adele 6yr 6 years ago  | 6 comments

Hi there,

Iโ€™m considering a month or two in Medellin and wondered what the co-working space options are like. I want something more than a cafe, so happy to pay the going rate. I spent a couple of months at Hubud in Bali earlier this year and loved it, but realise that Iโ€™ve set the bar pretty high.

Has anyone used Epicenter? I read somewhere it is pretty busy. Any other options?

Suggestions much appreciated.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Ho Chi Minh City, Chiang Mai or Bali for Jun-Jul-Aug for work?

in Chiang Mai , Thailand by @chelocoach 6yr 6 years ago  | 8 comments

Hi experienced nomads!

Iโ€™ve been nomading around SE Asia, HK and China for the last 4 to 5 months. Iโ€™ve been moving a lot and now I need to settle down for 3 months to finish some work. So the idea is to be in a stimulating city where I can find nomads, start-ups, self growth, self improvement, spirituality environments.
I already been for one month in Chiang mai, and liked it a lot in this respect, but wanted to try somewhere new, so was thinking to go to Ho Chi Minh or Bali. As I will be working mainly most of the time, the idea is not to spend much this three months, so my idea is to spend around 1200usd per month.

Would appreciate any opinions on this.

Best place to sit down and work for three months on a 1200usd budget a month?

Thnx :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

San Pancho, Mexico for digital nomads?

in Mexico by @proghani 6yr 6 years ago  | 5 comments

Hey! Trying to learn more about digital nomad locations in Mexico. Anyone living in San Pancho (San Francisco), Mexico? Do you recommend it?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Shipping From US to Medellin

in Medellรญn , Colombia by @larry_oz 7yr 7 years ago  | 0 comments

We purchased an apartment in Medellin and are looking to ship some stuff from our storage unit there. Value of the stuff varies from Vitamix to iMacsโ€ฆ

Wondering if any of you can suggest the best shippers to work with. Weโ€™re not in a hurry to get it but want to make sure it arrives in one piece.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Short term (1-3 months) in Medellin?

in Medellรญn , Colombia by @jodie_taylor 7yr 7 years ago  | 30 comments

Hello all,

Iโ€™m just interested on anyones experience of renting short term (1-3 months) accommodation in Medellin, Colombia.

I had a look on Airbnb of course, lots of places, on the more expensive which isnโ€™t a huge issueโ€ฆ Iโ€™m just wondering if in anyones experience itโ€™s better to take a room for a week and shop around when I get there or whether I should just book a month upfront? I recently had a bad experience with Airbnb so not dying to go down that road again just yet if Iโ€™m honest.

Iโ€™ll be arriving in Medellin from November onwards over the Xmas period and likely through till January, maybe longer. Another friend is coming with me so we could potentially rent a 2 bed apartment, or Iโ€™d also be happy in a studio or a private room in a decent house even. Iโ€™m thinking El Poblano or Laureles, as we are two girls with limited Spanish.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Medellin, Bogota or Panama? Any recommendations?

in Medellรญn , Colombia by @xdrewx 7yr 7 years ago  | 3 comments

Medellin, Bogota or Panama? Any recommendations on a 6 month stay with the intent of learning spanish and running an ecommerce business(good wifi)?

Where is a good place to learn Spanish? I am coming in with an intermediate level of Spanish.

Where is the internet quality good enough?

Many thanks!
Drew

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Favorite towns in Mexico (and near it)?

in Mexico by @azurio 7yr 7 years ago  | 5 comments

Hey guys!

We love Mexico. Weโ€™re excited to find outstanding towns to live in for 2-12 months at a time. Weโ€™re also open to Central American gems.

We especially appreciate learning about those smaller towns that are lesser known but amazing. Personal favorites!

Here are some of our interests:

• a paradise vibe: ocean, lush greenery, vibrant arts, and/or old town charm
  • at least 3 Mbps download speed
  • great cost of living
  • considerable expat and retiree crowd
  • not too much of an urban city โ€” though a smaller town outside a city can work
  • a bit touristy is okay

Here are lesser-discussed towns that caught our eye โ€” weโ€™d love impressions of these and more that come to mind:

• Huatulco
  • Ixtapa
  • Guanajuato
  • And more?

Thanks so much, guys!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How is air quality in Medellin?

in Medellรญn , Colombia by @jjuter 7yr 7 years ago  | 4 comments

What do you think of the pillotion in Medellin Colombia ? I heard it is not as bad if you live in Poblado as it is further up. Is that true?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What is the best small town in Mexico for one month?

in Mexico by @clusk 7yr 7 years ago  | 6 comments

Iโ€™ve been doing some research about Guanajuato, SMA, Taxco and others. I havenโ€™t really gained any definitive winners of the contest for best non-coastal town. I donโ€™t mind a decent amount of foreigners as it will be my first foray into digital nomadism.

That being said, I do speak Spanish and plan on practicing it - but do not want to rely on it 100% of the time. I am planning on spending 2-3 weeks in Playa del Carmen or Tulum.

For me โ€œbestโ€ means a. quality Internet b. traditional/Spanish colonial Mexico c. sufficient amount of activities within or near the town for 4 weekends / some weekdays.

Any answers are helpful! Thank you!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Buenos Aires Must Sees, Eats & Drinks?

in Buenos Aires , Argentina by @jivins11 7yr 7 years ago  | 1 comment

Hi! Iโ€™m new here so please correct me if I am doing this wrong. I will be in Buenos Aires for the month of April. Being such a large city, pinpointing what I want to do while Iโ€™m there has been difficult!

I am taking any and all recommodations for Buenos Aires things to do!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
742ms