Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (648K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,886) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations Interior AI Photo AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Moving to Thailand for 6-9 months in August. Bangkok or somewhere else?

in Bangkok , Thailand by @andrea3018 8yr  | 14 comments

Hello Nomads,
I would like to move in Thailand for 6-9 months starting from August.
Iโ€™ll definetely stay in Chiang Mai as base for most of the time but Iโ€™d like to do the first month (August) in Bangkok or somewhere else.
What place would you recommend to visit first?
Would Bangkok be a good place to be during August?
I was also checking at the east coast isles but I got a little frightened out by the moonsoon idea but still, it would be cool to go to beaches and have some sun during that month :slight_smile: .
Would the moonsoons or the rain really be a problem?
Iโ€™ll move to Chiang Mai from september anyway but I would just like to start somewhere else since I have to wait for my girlfriend to come during september.

Thank you in advance for your advices,
Sorry for the bad english,
Andrea

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Iโ€™d say book for 7 days a AIRBNB not longer.
You can get weekly discounts.
Check out well which area you want to live, for instance use the hood map.
Second: decide whether you want to stay or move on. ,
I lived in Bangkok months and loved it.
Chiang Mai is more of a town compared to Bangkok.
Rentals beyond Airbnb are advertised on any corner of the neighbour hood you will go.
Plenty of short term options. Make sure Internet is at speed.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@jnomad30 7yr

Canโ€™t speak to Bangkok as I flew in and out but Chiang Mai is lovely. If youโ€™re looking for a digital nomad community, thereโ€™s much more of one up here in Chiang Mai than down on the islands which tend to attract a lot more of tourists coming for short trips.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I was in Bangkok in August. It was not too rainy. I do agree the rain cleaned the air and streets. Otherwise, it did not stop us from doing anything. One month in Bangkok would be great. It might be too long. A week or two would be more than enough and then maybe try another city?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@mmorris 8yr

We are leaving for Thailand tomorrow morning. It will be our 3rd time going. We are skipping Bangkok and going straight to Chiang Mai this time because once you have done Bangkok a couple times, you feel like you are done with it. Koh San Road and MBK quickly lose their appeal. The water taxis are a cool way to get around. Definitely check it out if youโ€™ve never been, but I wouldnโ€™t recommend more than a week.

We love Chiang Mai and you will definitely love it there. Big enough that you can find everything you want, but not crazy like BKK. Lots of different food options and a very walkable/scooterable city. One of the best produce markets in the world if you really like fruit (durian anyone? :heart_eyes:) and fresh produce. Probably our favorite place in the world (so far!).

We also spend time on Koh Phangan island in the south. Really beautiful there. You can go for the parties on Haad Rin (more touristy/EDM crowd) or the Black/Half Moon parties (more hippy feel and local) on the south side. You can also go for the pristine and quiet seclusion. We love The Sanctuary on Haad Tien on the south east tip. It is like no other place we have been. In the north there is also yoga and scuba.

We have also been to Railay on the other side of the mainland a little bit south. It has really nice beaches and rock climbing. Not really a place to live though as itโ€™s pretty small and there is not much available, but really cool to visit. There is a very cool hike called โ€œLagoonโ€ that takes you to the top where you can see all of Railay. Can be treacherous at points depending on the mud/rain situation.

We have done Phi Phi as well, but itโ€™s pretty touristy and feels chaotic.

We have also heard good things about Chiang Rai and itโ€™s temples just south of Chiang Mai, but we havenโ€™t been (yet!)

Hope this helps. You made a great choice coming to Thailand :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I lived in BKK for a year and certainly the tourist spots can get old fast. Thatโ€™s why you have to find new things to do in the city! There isnโ€™t a shortage of places to go and see. Just make sure that you arenโ€™t dead set on your experience only being based on MBK or Kao Sahn road.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Thank you sooooo much.
There are A LOT of informations in your reply. THANK YOU!! I really appreciate it!
You guys are a lovely community.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Comes down to tradeoffs

I lived in Bangkok a few years back and loved it. I think it gets a bad reputation, partly earned, partly because people come in for a few days and compare it to the beaches or up north which are absolutely gorgeous. For the time you are spending there, BKK is worth considering. Nightlife options are infinite and varied, food is fantastic, and opportunities to get out of the city are easy.

Chang mai is gorgeous, lots of outdoor activities to do and the food is fantastic. I think there are plenty of nomads in this forum to confirm this.

Down south there are more beach jumping opportunities than you will know what to do with. I found the food to be a little less thai and more geared towards tourist preferences.

I like suburban environments with opportunites to get out and that is what BKK was built for. For me, the beach was for visiting and really enjoying it for a few days, but maybe you are trying to get really great at snorkeling or really want to full moon party down for 9 months. Chang mai is certainly more tame than BKK, so if that is your preference over a bustling city center then go with that.

Hope this helps provide some perspective.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Thank you so much for this long explanation and comparison.
I really appreciated it. You are really a kind person. THANKS :slight_smile: Iโ€™m now convinced in heading to BKK :slight_smile: .
Thanks again!!
Andrea

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Of course! Glad I could help out! Enjoy the city, attitude makes the experience every time! ; )

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@lena 8yr

Donโ€™t worry too much about rainy season. Generally, it doesnโ€™t rain all day, but only a few hours. The rest of the day can still be as sunny as in dry season. I actually prefer the rainy season: less tourists, refreshing rain, less smog in the air,โ€ฆ

We recently spent a few months on Koh Lanta and really loved the island. But be aware that many hotels, restaurants and shops close in low season.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Thank you for your answer Lena,
I really appreciated it.
So in your opinion, which one would be the best for me?
Bangkok or Koh Lanta?
Iโ€™m not sure either, which place should I see first :slight_smile: .

Thanks,
Andrea

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@sylow 8yr

No need to plan all at once. Fly to Bangkok and stay there for few days, like it stay longer, hate it visit an island.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I know but problem is I would like to pay in advance a full month of rent because I get the discount from Airbnb for the monthly renting.
Any advice? :slight_smile: Do you guys usually airbnb for rent?

Thanks again,
Andrea

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@kathrynoh 8yr

I use Airbnb but have found itโ€™s overpriced in SE Asia.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best place in South East Asia to live for 6+ months per year

in Indonesia by @miklaskroager 4yr 4 years ago  | 1 comment

We're looking for a country in South East Asia that can function as our base, mainly for tax purposes. Meaning it will have to be a place where we can stay for the 183 days required without too much hassle.

We've been looking at Thailand, but have heard that it's very hard to do visa runs etc., so what other can you recommend? Indonesia looked like a good option, but the income rate is a flat 20% and very high for the region.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is it easy to renew your tourist visa for 6 months in Colombia?

in Colombia by @julien 4yr 4 years ago  | 1 comment

Hello everyone,
I will come to live in Colombia for one year.
What is the best solution with the Visa?
I thought to have a Visa for tourists for 3 months and renewal the visa for 6 months. Is that hard to renewal a tourist Visa in Colombia?
Thank you for your help.
Best,
Julien

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to find Bangkok apartment rentals <$1,000/mo?

in Bangkok , Thailand by @vesko89 5yr 5 years ago  | 1 comment

Hey all,

i am trying to find a monthly based condo in SUKHUMVIT in BKK becaue i am staying 1-3 Months in BKK. But somehow its nearly impossible to find a nice one. Except Air BnB 1000$+ โ€ฆ

How do you find your Condos in BKK?

Greetings Vesko

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to stay in Australia for longer than 3 months

in Australia by @rose_davis 5yr 5 years ago  | 2 comments

Hey there!

Iโ€™m planning on spending 3 months in Australia next year on a tourist visa. Iโ€™ve already gotten my working holiday visa (in 2017), but unfortunately didnโ€™t get to take advantage of the full year (only stayed 3 months).

My boyfriend will be able to get his working holiday visa before we go, so Iโ€™m wondering if anyone knows of a way that I might be able to extend my stay (6 months would be ideal, if longer I wouldnโ€™t complain).

Iโ€™d like to do this legally of course, so Iโ€™m wondering about a student visa. Anyone have experience getting this to extend their stay?

And other workarounds that might be worth exploring?

Might also be worth noting โ€“ Iโ€™ll be working while Iโ€™m there (for a US-based company) and I am American.

Appreciate the help!

Rose

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to arrange prescription medication abroad (for example Thailand / SEA)

in Thailand by @dezeisvastnogvrij 5yr 5 years ago  | 1 comment

Normally, when I go abroad for a longer period of time, I try to take as much medication with me from my home country as I can for that period. Which so far has worked well for me.

But if Iโ€™m going to be a full-time nomad that wonโ€™t work anymore. Mainly because Iโ€™ll then unregister from my country. Which has some downsides like not being able to have my current health insurance anymore. Other health insurance companies wonโ€™t cover existing conditions, so Iโ€™ll have to buy my medication โ€œover the counterโ€.

But since I need some medication which in The Netherlands (and I assume other countries) is only available on a doctors prescription. I was curious how people here arrange that (if there are any in the same boat as me).

The main medication I think would be hardest for me (and most expensive) to get is Epoetin-Alpha (Aranesp) injections.

Since thereโ€™s not really a โ€˜world wide standarizedโ€™ doctor prescription form, how do you get the medication abroad? Do you have a checkup there again at a local clinic before you can get the medication? (That would probably add to the cost too).

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there comparable companies like Iglu in Thailand?

in Thailand by @stiensf 5yr 5 years ago  | 2 comments

You can look up the Iglu company in Thailand. It is a legal way of working in Thailand with a work permit for digital nomads. Are there other companies in Thailand offering work permits for digital nomads? They charge you 30% of your salary, which is a lot. Are there other companies charging less than Iglu or have a different pricing scheme?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Suggestions for home base for 10 months in Mexico or Panama next year?

in Mexico by @we_are_escaping 5yr 5 years ago  | 14 comments

Weโ€™re researching places to use as a home base next year, and are leaning towards Mexico or Panama for 10 months (with 1 week โ€œvacationsโ€ to explore surrounding countries)

But, I want to settle some place where the infrastructure is good enough for fast, reliable internet - fast enough to run live webinars without worrying that Iโ€™ll be S.O.L due to internet issues when itโ€™s time to go live.

And ideally, Iโ€™d like to be on the coastโ€ฆ I like to have ocean/beach access without the need for a drive.

And not in a malaria zone (just saying, since Panama in particular has many areas that Iโ€™d rule out simply due to the need for malaria prevention meds)โ€ฆ itโ€™s one thing to take that stuff for a few weeks long trip, but I donโ€™t want to take it for months on end.

Thoughts?

Thanks for reading all :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Can I enter Thailand on a tourist visa and obtain an education visa there?

in Thailand by @hydrofog 6yr 6 years ago  | 7 comments

As an American Citizen, would it be safe to fly into Thailand without a visa? You can get a 30 day upon entry right?

The reason I ask is, Iโ€™m in the process of getting my passport. Iโ€™d like to leave basically as soon as my passport arrives in the mail. Iโ€™m unable to apply for a Thai Visa until I have my passport, so that would require an even longer wait.

Would I be able to fly into Thailand with no visa, then get a 30 day entry, then apply for an education visa while inside the country? Once I go, Iโ€™d like to not have to return to the US. I donโ€™t mind if I have to take a bus/flight to a neighboring country for however long if I must leave while I wait for an education visa.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Trialing Bangkok

in Bangkok , Thailand by @sp_o2tn1 6yr 6 years ago  | 3 comments

Hey - Iโ€™m heading to Bangkok for a month from the 14th November to see how it feels living and working there for a month in terms of productivity/lifestyle/etc. Iโ€™m a FX/Futures trader so just generally require a decent computer and internet connection.

As far as the basics:
Housing: airbnb in Chatuchak
Workspace: The Hive
Gym: Traininggroundbkk

Any must seeโ€™s / advice / from those who have been to BKK would be appreciated. Likewise If youโ€™re planning on being there over the same period drop me a line!

Cheers

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the best way for Canadians to get cash or transfer money in Thailand & SEA?

in Thailand by @artofbryce 7yr 7 years ago  | 5 comments

Weโ€™re setting off on our first venture for new digital nomad life in 20 days!

• starting in Chiang Mai as our home base
  • 1 year ED visa
  • planning to bounce around all over

Right now, Iโ€™m utterly baffled and confused by trying to figure out how weโ€™re going to be able to get more cash or transfer money from our bank accounts in Canada. Either at all or without getting charged insane fees.

Iโ€™ve looked through the forum and a lot of solutions put forth with no real luck. Hoping that some Canadians may chime in with solutions, experience or advice.

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Short term (1-3 months) in Medellin?

in Medellรญn , Colombia by @jodie_taylor 7yr 7 years ago  | 30 comments

Hello all,

Iโ€™m just interested on anyones experience of renting short term (1-3 months) accommodation in Medellin, Colombia.

I had a look on Airbnb of course, lots of places, on the more expensive which isnโ€™t a huge issueโ€ฆ Iโ€™m just wondering if in anyones experience itโ€™s better to take a room for a week and shop around when I get there or whether I should just book a month upfront? I recently had a bad experience with Airbnb so not dying to go down that road again just yet if Iโ€™m honest.

Iโ€™ll be arriving in Medellin from November onwards over the Xmas period and likely through till January, maybe longer. Another friend is coming with me so we could potentially rent a 2 bed apartment, or Iโ€™d also be happy in a studio or a private room in a decent house even. Iโ€™m thinking El Poblano or Laureles, as we are two girls with limited Spanish.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

3 Months in India, Any Suggestions?

in India by @yuvalbarhai 7yr 7 years ago  | 16 comments

Hello everyone!

I want to DN India for 3 months (or more) and the country is huge so Iโ€™m not sure how to start planning this, maybe you guys can help :slight_smile:
My major concern is the internet, from what Iโ€™ve read itโ€™s really bad - is that true?
What am I looking for:

1. Spiritual oriented towns.
  2. Near (or in) some beautiful nature (doesnโ€™t necessarily have to be near a beach)
  3. Decent speed internet. I can deal with unreliable internet that wont work all day long, but I canโ€™t handle really slow internet.
  4. 1 month stay in each town.

What am I NOT looking for:
Big cities like New Delhi.

Time - can be anytime of the year.
Weather - I donโ€™t mind hot weather, but donโ€™t want below 0 weather.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated, if what Iโ€™m looking for is even possible. Thanks! :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Suggestions for somewhere to spend Jully in northern Spain?

in Spain by @jb510 7yr 7 years ago  | 6 comments

Iโ€™m looking for somewhere to spend July in northern Spain. (Not that it matters but June weโ€™re in Paris, August in Porto).

Iโ€™ve spent time in small Italian villages and loved the experience. Iโ€™m hoping to find something like that but in coastal Spain, I just donโ€™t know the area at all yet. Suggestions?

Somewhere roughly in or between Galicia and Bilbao. Somewhere walkable to a half dozen small resturants/cafes/etcโ€ฆ

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Anybody around Europe over the next few months?

by @paulrose 7yr 7 years ago  | 9 comments

Hi All

Soโ€ฆ a few months ago when I was in Asia, for some reason I decided that it was gonna be too hot over the summer months and I wanted to mix it up with a few months touring Europe. So I had the idea to buy and RV and drive round for a few months.

Meet Teagan :slight_smile:

Itโ€™s taken a few months going through the process of getting my license to drive the RV, because itโ€™s so large it wasnโ€™t covered on my standard driving license. Add to that, I had some solar panels fitted for unlimited power, and a massive satellite dish for internet wherever I go.

Iโ€™ve now got my ferry booked out of the UK for September 11th and at the moment have no plans past the first few weeks.

Has anyone on here done anything similar before? Any places recommended, or anyone around Europe over the next few months?

Iโ€™m doing about 3 months worth before heading to Vegas for NYE and around the states for a few months after that before back to Asia for a bit.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best place in South / central america for 3 months

by @jjuter 7yr 7 years ago  | 9 comments

I am looking to live in south or central america for 3 months. Anybody have any recomondations of places for a long term stay?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Which is the most viable location for a young couple moving to Seoul?

in Seoul , South Korea by @iamjamesrodgers 7yr 7 years ago  | 4 comments

Out of the 3 Areas which would be most beneficial for a foreigner moving to SK?
(If you have experience with areas specifically Iโ€™d love to discuss the specific schools that are offering her a position - Not posting that here for obvious reasons.)

My Girlfriend has received 3 contract offers in Seoul/Surrounding area:

i) Dobonggu
ii) Songpa-gu
iii) Bundang, Gyenggido

Background knowledge:
We love being physically active through sport and weight-lifting, love exploring food culture, need good Coffee and live very modestly in terms of going out/expenditure.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What place in Thailand has fast internet and beautiful nature?

in Thailand by @tomanna 7yr 7 years ago  | 26 comments

Hi all!

Iโ€™m trying to work out where I should go in Thailand that offers a combination of strong internet connection with a bit of natural beauty (hills/sea - I donโ€™t really mind).

Iโ€™ve been in Bali recently and whilst it is gorgeous it has two main problems for me. First, it doesnโ€™t really support a lifestyle where you walk anywhere - the roads are dangerous and pavements largely non-existant. And, famously, the internet connections here arenโ€™t fabulous, unless you go to a coworking spot.

Can anyone with experience of Thailand please tell me if they can recommend somewhere thatโ€™s attractive to be in, well connected, and less-than-lethal for pedestrians?

thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Looking a for a flat to rent in Barcelona from January for 6 months. Anyone?

in Barcelona , Spain by @aleravanetti 7yr 7 years ago  | 2 comments

Hi guys, as I wrote in the title I am planning to move to Barcelona with my girlfriend starting from January 2017 and I am looking to rent a flat for 6 months, possibly in the Born area, but open also to other neighborhoods. My budget is around โ‚ฌ800 per month. Is anyone looking to rent out something that could fit my request? Any help would be appreciated!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

4 months in Scandinavia, what are the digital hotspots?

by @marie 7yr 7 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi,

I am thinking of spending 4 months in Scandinavia. I like to spend 1 month in each city but I am not too sure where the digital places are in those countries.

I would prefer a bigger city with some coworking spaces as I work better this way.

Any suggestions?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Places to stay in bangkok for a few days

by @elirang 7yr 7 years ago  | 5 comments

Hi ,
Im going to be in Bangkok for a few days and iโ€™m searching good places and not expensive price (around 25$ a day max) - iโ€™m thinking on airbnb flat/private room but iโ€™m seeing a lot of hotels/guest houses on this budget.

Do have recommendation on accommodation types/places based on your experience ?

I head that its common in hotels that there is constructions or loud noise from bars โ€ฆ

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
955ms