Nomad communities in south island, New Zealand?

I’ll be spending ~6 weeks in south island New Zealand. I’m wondering where to be based. I’ve spent several days in Christchurch, and it seemed like the most boring city in the world (nhf). Other logical choice is Queenstown, albeit a bit expensive (I see there’s a coworking space there). I see there’s other towns on the map, but I’m wondering if I’m gonna find a community in any of them? I’d hate having to work from home.

1 Like

I am a fan of Nelson. Small but has nice beach, is close to Abel Tasman and Golden Bay, not to mention Marlborough Sounds and Marlborough Wine Country. Bridge Street is a nice little co-working spot in the back of a coffee shop. Not sure about 6 weeks but had a pleasant week stay there last summer and might be back in February. Free House Pub is also a good place to work in the afternoons :slight_smile: Wanaka might be worth a look as well - have spent a little time there and might go there instead this year. Smaller than Queenstown with beautiful lake and lots of hiking near by. I heard there is a new co-working spot there as well.

1 Like

wow, wanaka looks awesome, so does nelson. how do you plan on finding accommodation?

Yes the community down in Queenstown is pretty good. A decent amount of entrepreneurial types, and also a TEDx community too.

1 Like

I’ve had good luck with Air BnB in Nelson. For Wanaka, I was there with friends last time so we had a larger unit. I don’t think it has as many options though.